Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Explorer posted:

Ok, but they are usually choices in the context of "you could choose option A, which will benefit you, or you could choose option B, which will inflect CHAOS!"

Why would I choose option B, unless I am trying to roleplay a Minotaur?

Because Beastmen don't suffer attrition from Chaos corruption,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Because Beastmen don't suffer attrition from Chaos corruption,.

That works, thanks!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Internet Explorer posted:

Ok, but they are usually choices in the context of "you could choose option A, which will benefit you, or you could choose option B, which will inflect CHAOS!"

Why would I choose option B, unless I am trying to roleplay a Minotaur?

it is to my knowledge never a good choice to do that. the idea is enemies will suffer attrition and you will enjoy increased replenishment or maybe growth. but ai enemies don't really have attrition issues

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I played my first multiplayer battle. I lost and the chat was filled with two assholes yelling at each other to git gud. This is why I dislike competitive multiplayer, especially in strategy games. I think I need to work on my 1v1 because group battles are just clusterfucks.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Sharzak posted:

it is to my knowledge never a good choice to do that. the idea is enemies will suffer attrition and you will enjoy increased replenishment or maybe growth. but ai enemies don't really have attrition issues

The AI cheats, it only takes a tiny fraction of whatever attrition it should take (something like 20%) and get huge free order bonuses so it will basically never have rebellions. So hypothetically causing corruption is useful, but the two main effects are basically meaning less except to the player.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Wookums Vs ZearothK matches in the Loser's Brackets are done, the winner might just surprise you.

http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110272987/Thyme%20Vs%20ZearothK%201.replay
http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110272990/Thyme%20Vs%20ZearothK%202.replay
http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110272993/Thyme%20Vs%20ZearothK%203.replay

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For the purposes of unit prerequisites, are buildings within a province shared among its constituent regions? IE, will having a Haunted Forest in Eschen and Vampire Crypts in Castle Drakenhof allow me to build Varghulfs in Western Sylvania?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor Schnabel posted:

For the purposes of unit prerequisites, are buildings within a province shared among its constituent regions? IE, will having a Haunted Forest in Eschen and Vampire Crypts in Castle Drakenhof allow me to build Varghulfs in Western Sylvania?

Yep!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Do the +unit experience buildings only apply to units hired in that location or the entire province?

The1DevoidoName
Dec 3, 2004
A blackgaurd whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.

fnordcircle posted:

Do the +unit experience buildings only apply to units hired in that location or the entire province?

It's for the province.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Orcs... Orcs have been my least liked campaign so far.. Fighting dwarves and savage orcs at the start wasn't fun. Having horrible leadership units weren't fun either.

Now, turn 174.. Chaos has melted everyone except Britonnia and VC (who are still getting melted, they have 1-2 places left each)... I'm melting the last of Karak Hadrin and just melted Archeon in a sweet battle of 15 Black orcs, 4 doom divers and 1 warboss that came down to my goblin doom divers doing melee on the last groups since they ran out of ammo to root them. no joke.

Just won the short campaign.. can't wait for the long one to be done.

also just figured this out:

quote:

Do I have to march across the map just to do this quest battle?
You can teleport to a quest battle for 5k. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE QUEST BATTLES! Agent actions still have to be done via map travel.

FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccck

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 18, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Some good Kholek micro in the first match. Not sure what those Black Knights (lack knights amirite) were all about. Then Thym'es Swordsmen and crossbows get wrecked by Black Orcs. Better army composition wins this match, but also he needed to be using his Griffon, Knights and Demigryphs together to beat the Orc cavalry. Bretonnian flockhorde of Pegasi couldn't stop the roving Chaos Warriors. I think regular knights would have been cheaper and just as good for cycle-charging Chaos stuff, and the peasant line needed to not be so disordered. Keep some halberds in reserve to deal with Kholeks, Doombull etc.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
are mortars better / stronger now?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

also just figured this out:

FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccck

Welcome to the new age, stranger!

terrorist ambulance posted:

are mortars better / stronger now?

This seems to be the case, they've gone from annoying to geniunely terrifying if you leave them alone, ESPECIALLY on sieges since everyone is bunched up more on the walls and the arcs mortars shoot are perfect anti walls.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, I played my first multiplayer battle. I lost and the chat was filled with two assholes yelling at each other to git gud. This is why I dislike competitive multiplayer, especially in strategy games. I think I need to work on my 1v1 because group battles are just clusterfucks.

If your dislike of multi is based on people talking trash you are indeed safe in 1v1. I usually say hello or something nice to start each game any maybe 10% ever say anything back. I doubt most people even open the chat box.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Beans posted:

If your dislike of multi is based on people talking trash you are indeed safe in 1v1. I usually say hello or something nice to start each game any maybe 10% ever say anything back. I doubt most people even open the chat box.

Hell, I don't think they even know how to open it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm putting together an Empire checkerboard in the mid-late stage of the campaign, what should I be using as my anchor? Greatswords if I can afford it, I'm assuming, but would Halberdiers be able to hold the line long enough to carry the day?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor Schnabel posted:

If I'm putting together an Empire checkerboard in the mid-late stage of the campaign, what should I be using as my anchor? Greatswords if I can afford it, I'm assuming, but would Halberdiers be able to hold the line long enough to carry the day?

Halberds are fine against factions that are cav/monster heavy but other than that you are probably better off just using good old swordsmen or spearmen /w shields if Greatswords are out. The main reason being that halberds have neither good armor nor shields so they just melt under missile fire. They also won't last as long in melee against non-large enemies.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Halberdiers are actually more effective at holding lines than Greatswords in some cases, as Halberdiers have higher melee defense. Greatswords have more armor, but they're lower defense will make them more susceptible to AP units.

I would second Swordsmen for holding front lines though, they're just more cost effective. I use Halberdiers to guard my flanks from cavalry.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 18, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aww, I didn't know that they changed the Chaos invasion triggers from turm 50/100 to 80/130. It's 3 turns to 130 in my game and the surviving Empire factions are reclaiming as far as Kislev; Archaon's probably going to get himself killed before even reaching my territory.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

As mid/late-game Empire, you're probably fighting more Vampires and Chaos than Empire or Orcs/Beastmen. In that case, Halberdiers are my go-to infantry core since they'll get killed by missile fire, which neither the undead nor Chaos to a lesser extent have. You'll probably want to switch back to Swordsmen once Chaos is defeated for good though, since Bretonnians, Dwarves, and human factions will start getting antsy about peace.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Swordsmen may be more cost-effective, but Halberdiers and Greatswords are just so goddamn imperial it hurts.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also, Halberdiers, Swordsmen and Spearmen all get Honest Steel bonuses, which unless your Lord is high into the red tree makes them way more cost-effective than Greatswords

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I wasn't sticking to my "only elite armies use elite units" rule, I'd use Greatswords against armies with strong infantry and cavalry but weak ranged. This is because strong enemy cavalry means I won't be able to get flanks with my knights/shooters as easily. Hence, they're pretty drat good against Chaos and Vampires. Against Empire and Dwarves though, you're just asking to get them shot to pieces.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I'm having some video card issues at the moment. I can do my tournament slot on a different machine, it'll just be another few days.

fnordcircle posted:

Some unique buildings provide faction-wide bonuses as well, like the knightly chapter house in Middenheim.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Here's the sammut v zonin replays:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oacs6tq49osk97r/sammut%20v%20zonin.rar?dl=0

So the losers of the winners bracket will play the winners of the losers (winners at life) bracket?

Game 1 - Empire v Greenskins
Game 2 - VC v Bretonnia

I think the first round may have been the closest game of the tournament so far.

Round two I thought I was being clever by picking Hell Fenn since the swamp would slow down the fight so my zombie horde would last longer and tire the enemy out while my vargheists got rear charges in but the swamp worked against me when the Bretonnian army started all the way in the back with artillery. Zombies are already slow and the swamp is -80% movement speed so I rushed my air units over to stop the trebuchets and (try) to kill louen leoncoeur but I guess I underestimated him and overestimated the vargheists and he swatted them down and after that I didn't have much left.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 18, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I was waiting for a wind of death that whole second fight, it would have creamed that infantry line.

Honestly, I just don't think you can take any air against brets. Louen and pegasus knights plus their bowmen is something that goes in every decent bret army so they can all fight air. Maybe terrorgeists, since they have anti large?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

wiegieman posted:

I was waiting for a wind of death that whole second fight, it would have creamed that infantry line.

Honestly, I just don't think you can take any air against brets. Louen and pegasus knights plus their bowmen is something that goes in every decent bret army so they can all fight air. Maybe terrorgeists, since they have anti large?

Terrorgeists have low hp which is not a good combo vs 4+ archers that most Bret armies will field.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The rampaging Steam Tank very nearly carried the whole battle by itself, but that Empire army was too drat small. Trujillo bought a lot of upgrades for Karl Franz but forgot to use them when he charged into combat with the Orc Warboss. Karl Franz seems kinda bad compared to a regular lord with a potion; I'd have considered casting Pha's Protection on Karl since you had a Light Wizard. I think Trujillo got some unlucky rolls to hit with Karl in that duel since he was barely doing any damage, or the Warboss' Waaagh! ability was making a huge difference in damage output.

In the VC vs Bret match I think Trujillo was way too worried about those archers and Trebuchets, to the point of outpacing his infantry with his massive amount of flying units and forcing them to run the entire distance to catch up, tiring them out. All they could really have done is shoot up some zombies anyway, so Trujillo may as well have took his time and launched a coordinated attack. Those Pegasus Knights turned out to be surprisingly durable despite being wildly outnumbered by Varhgeists. Strong use of abilities by Zonin in that aerial battle.

I think a single Terrorghiest can be a good choice (or maybe a zombie dragon) to add terror to the mix with the sort of build Trujillo was going for. The larger monsters do more damage against Pegasus Knights.

Trujillo posted:

So the losers of the winners bracket will play the winners of the losers (winners at life) bracket?

Yeah.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2016

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Mukip posted:

The rampaging Steam Tank very nearly carried the whole battle by itself, but that Empire army was too drat small.

It's not visible in replay, but when that damnable thing exploded, only ONE unit of Orc Boyz didn't just start routing at that exact moment, so it was even closer to a miracle win than it looked like.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Playing Chaos after playing Beastmen is awful. It's like you're playing the same campaign again, except with all the cool and interesting parts stripped out.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Corrode posted:

Playing Chaos after playing Beastmen is awful. It's like you're playing the same campaign again, except with all the cool and interesting parts stripped out.

I hope chaos gets reworked a bit at some point. Beastman was very clearly made with the knowledge of what worked and what didn't with chaos.

ZearothK posted:

Hell, I don't think they even know how to open it.

I've played a decent number of multiplayer games and had no idea that there even was a chat.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 18, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZoninSilver posted:

It's not visible in replay, but when that damnable thing exploded, only ONE unit of Orc Boyz didn't just start routing at that exact moment, so it was even closer to a miracle win than it looked like.

An exploding steam tank is so rare it might as well be miraculous.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I dont know posted:

I hope chaos gets reworked a bit at some point. Beastman was very clearly made with the knowledge of what worked and what didn't with chaos.
Can you elaborate on this a little? I've got Chaos from the pre-order, but I haven't pulled the trigger on Beastmen yet

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little? I've got Chaos from the pre-order, but I haven't pulled the trigger on Beastmen yet

Beastmen are a very fun horde army that uses guerrilla tactics effectively to hop around and gently caress up people's day while not getting counter attacked.

Chaos slowly moves around trying to make sense out of the north and then at some point gets agent spammed and triple stacked and dies like idiots.

Beastmen are easily my favorite of the current factions and they just got how to play them as a horde right, imo.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Out of curiosity, do people play with Control Large Army on or off?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I typed up a ton of words about this but phoneposting is broken. Basically Chaos has a ton of annoying stuff about it all of which Beastmen manage to do in better and more fun ways, both on the battle and strategic maps. Beastmen are flavourful and cool, Chaos are like using the least interesting Dwarf units with none of the things that make Dwarfs good.

Also infighting is a bad, bad mechanic that needs to just go away. It has no effect on the AI and for the player it's annoying but also sort of trivial.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Goblin Big Bosses as heat-seeking missiles to take out artillery or lords sure are fun.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

Out of curiosity, do people play with Control Large Army on or off?

If I'm on my PC I'll usually turn it on but if I'm on my laptop I'll turn it off.

Sometimes on my PC I'll also turn it off if I think I can win without it since they need to fix the UI for 40 units so each army has its own tab. Not being able to see any unit's info clearly is way worse than having to click a tab button to see it all clearly.

Re-ordering units helps if you know you'll be using it. So does not really bringing siege in the reinforcement stack.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Actually playing as Chaos is fast and fun, it's just difficult for people to understand what you are supposed to do, whereas Beastmen play more intuitively. Beastmen are basically the slow steady clearing of the map, whereas Chaos is intended to penetrate deep and hard and keep always 1 step away from certain failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah my chaos game consist of me trying to destroy as much as I can while staying jusssst ahead of pursuing armies until they isolate themselves and become vulnerable

• Locked thread