Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Oxxidation posted:

Bakugou showing once again that he's an impressive judge of character under the raging misanthropy.

Yeah that was nice, curious to see where that's going. Seems like Deku screwed up by being too nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
:10bux: says physical contact has something to do with that dude's quirk. like shaking hands let him mark them to track them or something.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo that final splash page looks awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A trial where someone has a clear advantage over everyone else

he can guarantee the class win but its not really good for himself

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Heh, just noticed that Mineta got pretty inventive (and assholish) with his Target placement.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hopeford posted:

Yeah that was nice, curious to see where that's going. Seems like Deku screwed up by being too nice.

We already know. All the other school's students were being all nice and complimentary to how great UA was because they all had a footnote saying "and that's why we're going to destroy you." Bakugou saw through the act immediately.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Inflammatory posted:

:10bux: says physical contact has something to do with that dude's quirk. like shaking hands let him mark them to track them or something.

That's what I thought as well, like those bomb dudes from Greed Island in HxH.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like that while Deku may not have immediately picked up on the act, as soon as he heard the rules he quickly figured out the implications. Deku maybe not a people person, but for sure he can min-max with the best of them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Scrap Dragon posted:

It's funny that you'd mention the system being designed to discourage teamwork because keeping the class together seems to be Deku's gameplan
It's still really dumb. Yeah, the UA kids will likely work together because they're the one group of firstyears taking the exam.

The thing is that the rest of these students are supposed to be their colleagues as well and now they're encouraged to literally gently caress eachother over for just a preliminary license? No wonder so many heroes are loving sociopaths. Stain did nothing wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't see any of other groups screwing each other over. Most schools seem like they will work together.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't see any of other groups screwing each other over. Most schools seem like they will work together.
I'd think this is more of a "friendly rivalry" thing if it wasn't over their provisional license. It's not like they'd be shut out forever but I really, really can't understand making people who're supposed to basically be public servants gently caress eachother over.

Like I imagine the cops don't have a mixed martial arts tournament to decide who gets to be a cop during training at the Police Academy and those guys are actually allowed to arrest people and use lethal force.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Joke Lady is that one kid from middle school who barraged the class with jokes until someone laughed, I love it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually don't mind whatever excuses they have for a bunch of supers with weird and oddly specific powers duking it out in what's basically a sports competition

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fabricated posted:

Like I imagine the cops don't have a mixed martial arts tournament to decide who gets to be a cop during training at the Police Academy and those guys are actually allowed to arrest people and use lethal force.

MHA is a shounen battle manga in weekly jump so physical violence is to be expected. It's refreshing to see "realistic" responses to violence in a comic (like the police evacuating the mall after Shigaraki and Deku's conversation, The faculty having to apologize for endangering the students on national television, etc) but at the same time the main characters will have to fight someone because it's the rule of the genre and is what sells. I'm guessing Horikoshi is trying to hammer down world rules so that he can keep the editors/audience happy with fighting while still having consequences like the above.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fabricated posted:

I really, really can't understand making people who're supposed to basically be public servants gently caress eachother over.

To prepare them for the workplace, I suppose.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i hope joke lady gets that date with eraserhead

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Condiv posted:

i hope joke lady gets that date with eraserhead

Joke Lady is the mole.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wittgen posted:

Joke Lady is the mole.

:wow: what a terrible joke

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

I'd think this is more of a "friendly rivalry" thing if it wasn't over their provisional license. It's not like they'd be shut out forever but I really, really can't understand making people who're supposed to basically be public servants gently caress eachother over.

Heroes seem to be somewhat privatized so much of this process makes sense from the perspective that each potential hero is also managing a personal brand and their patron schools have an interest in encouraging this, if their students do well, they, presumably attract investment and other students into their school.

For UA they have a really drat good reason as Eraserhead says in tolerating them being targets from the get go, it makes their graduates better prepared for life and death situations.

For the other schools I think this is just the best way to whittle down most of the applicants so only the best in a plethora attributes get it; it happens to have some negative side effects in making Heroes hypercompetitive and it seems like that's the case as we see with All Might and Todoroki's dad.

It's interesting because it retrospect and makes the insanity of Todoroki's upbringing a natural consequence of the above.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vengarr posted:

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

Intentionally making it so that only 5% of applicants will be accepted makes perfect sense in this context. The government wants to keep the total number of heroes to a manageable level because they are afraid of them. Heroes also want to keep the total number of heroes as low as possible to inflate their own prices--remember, they're being paid on commission, not a flat salary.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Plus the snooze dude even mentions that Stain has caused some uproar about the hero-prolific community. Reducing numbers this drastically is backlash from that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

Intentionally making it so that only 5% of applicants will be accepted makes perfect sense in this context. The government wants to keep the total number of heroes to a manageable level because they are afraid of them. Heroes also want to keep the total number of heroes as low as possible to inflate their own prices--remember, they're being paid on commission, not a flat salary.
It's kinda weird how the system being sorta bad and not working the way it should is really part of the world and lore rather than just being a plot hole. Particularly since the protagonist and his friends all really, really want to be a part of this system and kinda hem and haw when it comes down to realizing all the ways it's really busted.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Vengarr posted:

I might have misread the chapter, but impression I got was that there only being a 5% success rate was a new thing. Like poo poo went down recently so they don't want too many newbies going around doing stuff.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hopeford posted:

I might have misread the chapter, but impression I got was that there only being a 5% success rate was a new thing. Like poo poo went down recently so they don't want too many newbies going around doing stuff.

Eraserhead mentioned that only about 5% of applicants pass anyway, hence it's not a new thing. This year they're making it official that only 5% will pass.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh Mineta's anal beads are apparently a sword-whip, cool

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vengarr posted:

Eraserhead mentioned that only about 5% of applicants pass anyway, hence it's not a new thing. This year they're making it official that only 5% will pass.

50% was the actual number.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Oh Mineta's anal beads are apparently a sword-whip, cool

Please don't tell me you really thought they were anal beads. They're sticky, the first one would adhere to the buttocks and block the rest of them from entering the anus. You wouldn't be able to insert them without shredding the flesh around the sphincter and covering the beads with them, which might be a good special attack but isn't particularly heroic.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Please don't tell me you really thought they were anal beads. They're sticky, the first one would adhere to the buttocks and block the rest of them from entering the anus. You wouldn't be able to insert them without shredding the flesh around the sphincter and covering the beads with them, which might be a good special attack but isn't particularly heroic.

they're anal beads dude

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

do not kinkshame our friend mineta

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I need to see this kid's power in action.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad I've been learned on the practicality of anal beads

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MonsterEnvy posted:

50% was the actual number.

Whoops, you're right.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Say Nothing posted:

I never knew Gaimon and Sarfunkel had a kid

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

His quirk is completely unrelated he just likes that chest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackheart posted:

His quirk is completely unrelated he just likes that chest.

He and Mineta should get along well, then. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm pretty certain they're anal beads.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baal posted:

I'm glad I've been learned on the practicality of anal beads

My fanfics will be even more accurate now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Condiv posted:

:wow: what a terrible joke

Well, yeah. It's what Joke Lady would want.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rhonne posted:

What about the other two? I really like the All Might fanboy.

All Might fanboy is "親切な男 -- 親切マン", or "A Kind Man -- Gentle Man". He just wants to use his Quirk to help people out.

The guy with the knuckle dusters is "鉄拳制裁オヤジ -- ナックルダスター". "Old man who punishes with punches -- Knuckle Duster". His deal is that even small crooks are villains that need to be punished, presumably via beatings. 鉄拳制裁 literally means a punishment beating, not sure how to make that sound snappier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

he has a gun, did you even read one piece