Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Given that their society worships the military and is obsessed with group conformity I'd say its full of military hymns and brass bands, with the occasional "folk" choir. That or its just dozens of techno remixes of Hell March from red alert one playing over videos of parades and those skimmer things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cardassian music would be very close to Phillip Glass' where the repetition of the form is the entire point.

It would have to go well with hot rock basking, so it would not have a wide or crowded vocal range so that every nuance of a conversation taking place can be picked up.

There would be deceit, so the instruments would be heavily synthesized and timbres changed to hide the identity of the original recording artist should they find themselves on the outs with the composer (The composer credit is always attributed to the government).

So probably very close to the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack with all its dynamic highs and lows so the state can also use it to as a stage for their surprise accusations and denouncements that inevitably come at every public performance.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 17, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only music allowed within Cardassia is the Cardassian national anthem.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Look at this scrub not recognizing the varied forms of Andorian jazz.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
There was also that crappy plink-plonk music that Riker recreated using the shield harmonics when he was trapped on a (I think) Romulan ship.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I bet all alien music sounds like Pizzicato Five.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Just Asian girls screaming about hamburger buns and poo poo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

criscodisco posted:

There was also that crappy plink-plonk music that Riker recreated using the shield harmonics when he was trapped on a (I think) Romulan ship.

Romulan? Really? Just look how incredulous Tog is at you:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

That Klingon music the Doctor's holo son was blasting in his room was pretty cool

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The first time I heard Rammstein I thought "this is probably what Klingons listen to".

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
DS9 Profit and Loss: The soap opera episode.

It was clear that the lead guest star was a hottie under all that makeup so looked her up and turns out she's Bing Crosby's daughter and was on Dallas. I'd not be surprised if the soap style was by design, maybe using a soap writer and casting Crosby for the role. Average episode overall though seeing Quark's vulnerable side was interesting.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

oe noes if i like philip glass am i a cardassian??? :ohdear:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

psychokitty posted:

oe noes if i like philip glass am i a cardassian??? :ohdear:

when you hear military marches, do you become aroused/terrified? if so, you are cardassian.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
All of the non-classical music available in the twenty fourth century is just that oobie doobie song from First Contact on a constant loop forever

Piled high....

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Endbringer posted:

That Klingon music the Doctor's holo son was blasting in his room was pretty cool

I think that was called Klingon Opera

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Mycroft Holmes posted:

when you hear military marches, do you become aroused/terrified? if so, you are cardassian.

terrified, yes. aroused, no.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

criscodisco posted:

The first time I heard Rammstein I thought "this is probably what Klingons listen to".

Nah, that sort of stuff is too self-consciously trying to be badass and it just comes off as a little bit ridiculous. It's what Worf, Klingon weeaboo, would think klingons like.

I reckon klingon music would be just dringking songs at the popular end of the scale, and really rigid, formulaic and traditional operas for the upper crust.

Im ashamed to be making this post about loving star trek music.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 17, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Bajorians probably listen to Dave Matthews Band and Nickleback non-stop.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Trast posted:

Bajorians probably listen to Dave Matthews Band and Nickleback non-stop.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Season 4 seems to be where DS9 really ramps it up! Little Green Men, The Sword of Kahless and Our Man Bashir back to back is an amazing 3 hit combo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Klingons listen to Flogging Molly, only the lyrics deal with war and killing for honor instead of getting drunk and feeling sorry for yourself.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Klingons listen to Flogging Molly, only the lyrics deal with war and killing for honor instead of getting drunk and feeling sorry for yourself.

Ugh, "Celtic Punk" is the worst loving punk, even behind Sum41 and that garbage

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Let's be real, Klingons get drunk and feel sorry for themselves all the loving time.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Apollodorus posted:

Let's be real, Klingons get drunk and feel sorry for themselves all the loving time.

no, they drink prune juice, a warrior's drink

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ugh, "Celtic Punk" is the worst loving punk, even behind Sum41 and that garbage

That's why Klingons listen to it. They're all dudebros who are one awkward touch away from breaking into a full orgy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

treiz01 posted:

Season 4 seems to be where DS9 really ramps it up! Little Green Men, The Sword of Kahless and Our Man Bashir back to back is an amazing 3 hit combo.

I don't know how I feel about the Sword of Kahless. It's like peak weeaboo klingon Dax but it also has drunk Kor chewing scenery and Worf realizing his culture would go insane over a piece of iron. But then I read this on sperg alpha.

quote:

Worf actor Michael Dorn proposed finding, after the Sword of Kahless is beamed into space at the end of the episode sharing its name, that the real Sword of Kahless was secretly being kept by Worf and that he had taken it back to his quarters. René Echevarria was critical of Dorn's suggestion, noting, "This Holy Grail is just too dangerous for the Klingons now; put it to destiny and maybe someday their people will be ready to do it honor." (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages, p. 110)

:lol: I just saw that J.G. Hertzler who played Martok ended up writing DS9 novelizations. His biography has him being busy in a lot of things all over the place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Filthy loving Skreeans trying to live on planet occupation terrorists.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Klingons listen to Dropkick Murphys

Well it's all year of hell now the rapes have gangs
Pak'led tough guys with face tattoos

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
After watching half the first episode of Farscape and Andromeda respectively I've come to appreciate the comprehensible storytelling of Voyager

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Andromeda had such a cool concept and the first season was rough but it at least carried the main idea of the show forward. Then they fired the writers and turned it into lovely hercules in space and threw out the overarching plot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cardassian Justice is the best justice.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Andromeda had such a cool concept and the first season was rough but it at least carried the main idea of the show forward. Then they fired the writers and turned it into lovely hercules in space and threw out the overarching plot.

The things I can remember hurting that show from the very beginning were the incredibly low rent MIDI orchestra they had for the incidental music and the irritating xtreme 90s dude with frosted tips

e: their bad guys were also genetically engineered ayn rand fanboys, which is amazing concept for the most hateable villains ever but of course they went nowhere with it

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It also had such a non-existant budget that they couldn't have all the actors in one episode past the pilot, so they had to keep coming up with excuses as to why some characters weren't there.
"Oh Harper's gone surfing! And purple chick's gone to look at plants."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It also had such a non-existant budget that they couldn't have all the actors in one episode past the pilot, so they had to keep coming up with excuses as to why some characters weren't there.
"Oh Harper's gone surfing! And purple chick's gone to look at plants."

The ship was supposed to be crewed mostly by robots which is why some huge 2km battleship had a crew of like 5. They'd always have a robot or two in the background working, but it was clear they only ever had 2 robot costumes so in almost every scene there were the same 2 robots as extras.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The bible for the show must have been amazing. The setting was rich and defined and the they did cool things like time-dilation between communications and some newtonian physics in space combat.

Yet, it was not a good show.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Baronjutter posted:

The ship was supposed to be crewed mostly by robots which is why some huge 2km battleship had a crew of like 5. They'd always have a robot or two in the background working, but it was clear they only ever had 2 robot costumes so in almost every scene there were the same 2 robots as extras.

It begs the question of why they needed such a huge crew capable of doing <3 minute battlestation drills if they could get by so efficiently on a handful of robots.

Burning_Monk posted:

The bible for the show must have been amazing. The setting was rich and defined and the they did cool things like time-dilation between communications and some newtonian physics in space combat.

Between the dull purple circular corridors with brass railing and the stage-business of all the monitors wildly flailing 3D frames of the Andromeda around I'm not sure I can finish this episode based on the visuals alone. Star Trek may be sterile and unchallenging a lot of the time but at least the panels look like they serve a purpose and that people would choose to work on a starship. Seeing the little insect woman flip around in the chair like she's having a seizure for simply moving the ship made me think, "Oh gosh I hope she dies so we don't have to see her do this every time."

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 18, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Andromeda was fine at the very start. Maybe the first season.

I've seen it all the way through twice now and I'm still not sure what even happened exactly. I don't even want to speculate on it because that just starts Andromeda PTSD where I hear harper laughing or see Kevin Sorbo laboriously walking through scripted fight choreography.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Farscape at least remained consistent throughout its run. Consistently insane, but still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Farscape at least remained consistent throughout its run. Consistently insane, but still.

The third season lost its goddamn mind completely, but the first, second and fourth seasons were great :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Burning_Monk posted:

My understanding was that they did in fact have an incredibly rich bible by one of the DS9 writers and that it was even posted online at some point, but then the show happened as it did