Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
haha deviant art, good job firaxis

the tomyris portrait also comes from an halloween website

http://takebackhalloween.org/tomyris/

Take back halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It was at least a professional commission for a publication.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Fargle posted:

Really disappointed with that lineup. Obnoxiously eurocentric yet again.

It's a little worse I think,

take the first 20 civs from Civ v and you get

Europe - 6
Asia - 9
America - 3
Africa - 2

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kurtofan posted:

the tomyris portrait also comes from an halloween website

http://takebackhalloween.org/tomyris/

Take back halloween

I'm pretty sure it's just an illustration from a DK book or some poo poo that the halloween website ripped. I've seen it before in other places. OTOH I'm pretty sure it's not even supposed to be Tomyris.

Considering these are just references for the developers though it's pretty harmless wherever they got it from

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Scipio Africanus wasn't black.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think they were talking about Septimus Severus.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Septimius Severus (probably) wasn't black, either. He was Roman and Libyan. He most likely would've looked more like Gaddafi.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Captain Fargle posted:

Really disappointed with that lineup. Obnoxiously eurocentric yet again. Only one Sub-Saharan civ, only one pre-Colonial Americas, nobody at all from SE Asia and Oceania, no Ottomans, no Persia, no Mongols...

It's almost as if they prioritize countries where the game actually sells and makes them money. And that way they can add other, shittier, civilizations as DLC later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just an illustration from a DK book or some poo poo that the halloween website ripped. I've seen it before in other places. OTOH I'm pretty sure it's not even supposed to be Tomyris.

Considering these are just references for the developers though it's pretty harmless wherever they got it from

it looks like an osprey military history book to me, all their illustrations look like that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Septimius Severus (probably) wasn't black, either. He was Roman and Libyan. He most likely would've looked more like Gaddafi.
I mean, you're talking like actual skin colour in response to a strawman racist, but it's worth remembering that Irish people were once considered non-white.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Rad Russian posted:

It's almost as if they prioritize countries where the game actually sells and makes them money.

Civ is big in Scythia.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rad Russian posted:

It's almost as if they prioritize countries where the game actually sells and makes them money. And that way they can add other, shittier, civilizations as DLC later.

I mean like, that's obviously why they did it, but I don't think you can say the unused civs are shittier when they left out literally the largest contiguous empire.

On another note, I saw somebody saying something like "why do the developers hate us" in response to Poland being relegated to dlc, which was pretty funny.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Byzantine posted:

Civ is big in Scythia.

Prioritize. Obviously they can't just do USA and European countries only.

It's just a silly complaint to bring up when it's extremely obvious why they're doing it and the other more obscure Civs will just be there later as DLC.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 19, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ghostlight posted:

but it's worth remembering that Irish people were once considered non-white.
No, they weren't. That idea is a modern invention borne largely from a single writer's absurd suggestion that celts came originally from Africa. They were despised as Irishmen, since distinctions between people on the national level were thought of as far more significant at the time, and moral comparisons were made between them and blacks (such as calling one "white niggers," or the other "smoked irish"). But they were covered under, for example, the late 18th century naturalization acts, which offered citizenship specifically to free whites.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 19, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

Prioritize. Obviously they can't just do USA and European countries only.

It's just a silly complaint to bring up when it's extremely obvious why they're doing it and the other more obscure Civs will just be there later as DLC.

It's a particularly silly complaint to bring up when they have always done this and will always do it for known good reasons.

Spoiler: Civ 7 will also have more european civs at release. Now people can hopefully have a chance to process this information in advance so when that game eventually comes out they won't be disappointed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I somewhat doubt the geographical appeal of the game shifts on what Civs are available to play in it. Is this just a theory or does anyone have stats to back it up? Did the Spain DLC sell better in Spain than any other DLC?

Smells like spurious bullshit to me.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
nationalism is one hell of a drug

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I somewhat doubt the geographical appeal of the game shifts on what Civs are available to play in it. Is this just a theory or does anyone have stats to back it up? Did the Spain DLC sell better in Spain than any other DLC?

Smells like spurious bullshit to me.

Players in a country get fairly uppity if they consider their country to have had a significant historical impact on the world and they're missed out, so a balance has to be struck. Spain has had an enormous historical impact. It's an interesting discussion as to whether any one particular non european civilization has had a bigger impact on world history but has been left out, but it's subjective as hell.

If they doubled the number of civs in the game I'm sure you'd be able to strike more of a regional balance, but we're restricted to 18 at launch for presumably some good reason and the ratio doesn't seem unreasonable based on some vague measure of historical impact.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Right but I still don't buy the link between Civ-in-game, sales-in-country.

(For what it's worth I don't care about the regional representation in the game, I'm only taking issue with this particular theory)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
10/19 European civs (11/20 with Poland) is a pretty big step up from Civ V's 7/19. The expansions didn't do much better, being full on half European.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't know if there's any specific reason to hold it to 18 vanilla civilizations, other than it's tradition going back to Civ IV (I had 14, II had 21, III had 16) and probably fits their resource planning best. Babylon and Mongolia were only a month after release for V, and VI has Aztecs as day 1 DLC with signs pointing towards early development of Poland.

I'd expect a full-fledged expansion within 2 years, anyway.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Pretty sure you are the only one who cares and I guess some random post on some civilization forum.

It just bugs me because basically Gorgo really feels like they're reaching, while someone like Tomyris actually seems like a cool addition. It's probably because there's so many people who did notable poo poo during the Persian Wars and you decide "Yes, I'm going to go with Gorgo". You could've just went with Artemisia if you wanted a notable woman from the Persian Wars.

Since I'm bored, here's what they could've done if they wanted 9-10 Ancient Civs:

Babylon: Hammurabi
Caria: Artemisia
Carthage: Hannibal
Celts: Boudicca
Egypt: Hatshepsut/Nefertiti/Cleopatra (in order of personal preference)
Greece/Macedon: Pericles/Alexander
Palmyrene: Zenobia
Persia: Cyrus
Rome: Trajan (or Livia, that'd actually be cool as hell)
Scythia: Tomyris

If you're desperate to have Sumeria then just take out Carthage, I dunno, I'm contemplating a fantasy here anyway.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'd love for someone to make an "Ancient Civ" style 4x game. The original Civ V had a scenario where you had to race to make wonders with a bunch of custom ancient leaders in it and it was great.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

(For what it's worth I don't care about the regional representation in the game, I'm only taking issue with this particular theory)

One right-wing nationalist posted on the Internet that he was disappointed his country wasn't in the game therefore

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's not so much about including countries that will buy the game directly, but rather including a range of civilizations that people in those countries would consider historically significant. I'm certain that a game aimed at a different region would anticipate a different opinion on historical significance and would alter the ratios accordingly.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

IIRC, Brazil and Indonesia were added to Civ5 specifically because those countries are formidable markets for games. I don't know whether their inclusion boosted sales in those countries, or if they were included because there were a lot of Civ players from those countries already. Nevertheless, regional sales and representation do walk in hand in hand somewhat, but it's hard to say which causes which.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The only European civs that were unrepresented by the end of Civ V were Belgium, the Baltics (unless they are in the Sweden/Poland namelist?) and the Balkan. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing countries/ethnicities bundled together like the Celts, Denmark and Sweden did in CiV. Like, you could conceivably roll the Netherlands and Belgium together into some sort of United Kingdom of the Netherlands or United Seventeen Provinces thing. Hell, maybe Burgundy. They could be some sort of trade civ based on pastures (wool industry and carpets were important to Medieval trade in the Lowlands) with defensive bonuses (they more or less held out for 80 years against the Spanish).

The Balkans can be rolled together with Russia as the Slavs, for maximum comedy.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

I'd love for someone to make an "Ancient Civ" style 4x game. The original Civ V had a scenario where you had to race to make wonders with a bunch of custom ancient leaders in it and it was great.

Anno Domini mod for Civ V?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

IIRC, Brazil and Indonesia were added to Civ5 specifically because those countries are formidable markets for games. I don't know whether their inclusion boosted sales in those countries, or if they were included because there were a lot of Civ players from those countries already. Nevertheless, regional sales and representation do walk in hand in hand somewhat, but it's hard to say which causes which.

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall one of the designers saying it was because they were rapidly modernizing emerging economies, which fitted with BNW's theme of transitioning into the colonial/modern era (whereas, for example, putting the Byzantines, Netherlands and Sweden in GnK reflects its focus on the Medieval/Renaissance) - as well as the fact that they represent regions that have been poorly represented in previous Civs.

The actual reason for their inclusion might well have been more cynical, but I'd be very surprised if they'd just say that straight up.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Anyone know if they'll put up the latest devstream (from yesterday) somewhere? Missed it and I can only find an older one on their twitch channel.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Just have a Europe civ with leaders from a handful of different nations.

Boom, problem solved

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strudel Man posted:

No, they weren't. That idea is a modern invention borne largely from a single writer's absurd suggestion that celts came originally from Africa. They were despised as Irishmen, since distinctions between people on the national level were thought of as far more significant at the time, and moral comparisons were made between them and blacks (such as calling one "white niggers," or the other "smoked irish"). But they were covered under, for example, the late 18th century naturalization acts, which offered citizenship specifically to free whites.
I'm pretty sure its an accepted scientific fact that we all originally come from Africa, but the Irish were thought to have come from Iberia since the 11th century. You're right in that nationality was considered more important, which was kind of the point I was getting at, but even when 'racial science' became a thing they were considered a dirty mix of Caucasian and Negroids due to the Mediterranean heritage that their own folklore (filtered through Christianity in a period of struggles against Moorish Spain) ascribed to them. Because the point I was making was that actual skin colour doesn't matter to racists.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deltasquid posted:

The only European civs that were unrepresented by the end of Civ V were Belgium, the Baltics (unless they are in the Sweden/Poland namelist?) and the Balkan. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing countries/ethnicities bundled together like the Celts, Denmark and Sweden did in CiV. Like, you could conceivably roll the Netherlands and Belgium together into some sort of United Kingdom of the Netherlands or United Seventeen Provinces thing. Hell, maybe Burgundy. They could be some sort of trade civ based on pastures (wool industry and carpets were important to Medieval trade in the Lowlands) with defensive bonuses (they more or less held out for 80 years against the Spanish).

The Balkans can be rolled together with Russia as the Slavs, for maximum comedy.

Personally I'd rather they go in the opposite direction and base civs on concrete nations or other united entities, but that is also what I feel was done with Denmark and Sweden (as opposed to the nebulous Viking/Scandinavia civs in older games), and junk like Arabia being the Abbasid Caliphate and not having a "Native American" civ et cetera.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

majormonotone posted:

Just have a Europe civ with leaders from a handful of different nations.

Boom, problem solved

Ah, the "Polynesia solution"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm holding out for a Sealand civ.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would prefer 4 civs, the Orient, the Occident, the Nadir , and the New World, with the leaders being White Man, Yellow Man, Black Man, and Noble Savage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

I would prefer 5 civs, the Orient, the Occident, the Nadir , the New World, and Poland

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So much virtue signaling in this thread I thought it was a TED talk

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chalks posted:

It's a particularly silly complaint to bring up when they have always done this and will always do it for known good reasons.

Spoiler: Civ 7 will also have more european civs at release. Now people can hopefully have a chance to process this information in advance so when that game eventually comes out they won't be disappointed.

Just because you know why something happens doesn't mean you can't be irritated. Particularly because they teased at the beginning that they'd do the best true start location vanilla set yet and then we actually got more European civs than last time.

I figure they might be doing region based dlc though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Furthermore, Brazil must be destroyed.