Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

site posted:

It's probably a lot easier to say make more of these specific shows when you're not trying to schedule production on 12 different shows or looking at the $500 million price tag for all of it

Plus you have to deal with whatever mandates marvel has

When I say they, I obviously mean Marvel and Netflix combined, since neither company can call the shots on their own. These shows are also already fewer episodes than a typical TV show which means scheduling is less of a hassle, especially since there are no broadcast schedules and sweeps to manage. They would know how much they cost and how much they gain from it. If they were ok adding new seasons that weren't planned and new spin offs, then the costs of a show don't seem to be the biggest hurdle for them. They clearly have a lot of wiggle room if they smell success.

Pretty much the one of the biggest things stopping them would be actor scheduling, but that is manageable with planning. Like I mentioned, they already are shooting on average about half the TV hours that a standard prime time show would get, so it isn't like they would be asking actors to go above and beyond normal scheduling to shoot slightly longer. Actors being busy is only a problem when you are letting your actors book other projects, which is where planning on the producing side, and a bit of money, comes in. You don't have Grant Gustin going "sorry guys, I am too busy shooting something else to work too much on the second half of season 3! What an unfortunate situation they couldn't be avoided!" You book him for X episodes, for X seasons if you have to.

Other than that, it would be just come down to corporate will. If they don't want to do it then it won't be done, and companies like these have made baffling decisions before.

These shows are clearly good for Netflix, which is why they are expanding so rapidly, which means they are making money. If they are doing well then they have the money to invest to insure a steady flow of content. Adding a third show per year isn't actually that much considering how Netflix releases shows, and considering that each Marvel show for them has been a hit for them so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ToastyPotato posted:

They need to just bump the Marvel schedule to 3 per year. The demand is there so why not? For now at least.

That's a lot of rushed production. Better to have these things spaced out so they have at least a little time to iron out wrinkles and mistakes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bunnyofdoom posted:

When is Netflix punisher? Cause I'd wonder how him and nuke would go at it?

No announced date, but they're apparently testing people to play Microchip now

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HIJK posted:

That's a lot of rushed production. Better to have these things spaced out so they have at least a little time to iron out wrinkles and mistakes.

Well it would be too late to do 3 for next year now. 2018 wouldn't be rushing anything though. All of the shows are already separate productions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should be noted Fuller House had way more viewers than any Marvel show and is probably cheaper to make. Like I doubt Netflix is unhappy about the Marvel shows, they're still very successful and critical darlings, but I could see why they may not want to add more shows to the schedule instead of other shows that appeal to different demographics.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

site posted:

It's probably a lot easier to say make more of these specific shows when you're not trying to schedule production on 12 different shows or looking at the $500 million price tag for all of it

Plus you have to deal with whatever mandates marvel has

Marvel seems to be very hands off with the Netflix shows, but it probably helps that the Netflix shows aren't in "real" time and are still taking place sometime between Avengers 1 and Avengers 2. So they don't even have the opportunity to be asked to shoehorn in a Civil War or AOU tie-in.

I think the Daredevil guys said the only interference they got was wanting to use Night Nurse, who is probably being reserved for Dr. Strange. So they went with the C-list Luke Cage character Claire Temple instead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my goodness, I love it!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/18/the-tick-amazon-video-clips

Peter Serafinowicz is the best. I'm so down for this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The pilot's already up!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It is! About to watch.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Tick/dp/B01J776HVW/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

The pilot's already up!
"Go tell it on the mountain!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Tick gets a 5/5 rating for a pilot. The show is more grounded, but the main characters are just as insane as they are in previous incarnations which makes it feel even wilder in a grounded world.

Also Wally Pfister (Chris Nolan's longtime cinematographer) directed the pilot. So to say it's shot beautifully is an understatement.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

The Tick gets a 5/5 rating for a pilot. The show is more grounded, but the main characters are just as insane as they are in previous incarnations which makes it feel even wilder in a grounded world.

Also Wally Pfister (Chris Nolan's longtime cinematographer) directed the pilot. So to say it's shot beautifully is an understatement.

Yeah, that was pretty dang spectacular. "That's the hero's journey. That's why they get up in the morning; to go mano a monomyth with the darkness." may be one of my new favorite lines of anything.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

Yeah, that was a little lot darker than I was expecting with Arthur's backstory, but The Tick himself was still The Tick so I would quite happily watch more of that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jackie Earle Haley is having a hell of a year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Jackie Earle Haley is having a hell of a year.

Isn't this his fourth comic book adaptation, after Watchmen, Human Target, and Preacher?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This Tick pilot made me realize that I enjoy watching Peter Serafinowicz do absolutely anything. I mean, the rest of it was good but man, if Brian Butterfield didn't exist this would be the role he was born to play.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been rewatching some Supergirl and landed on the episode where she is exposed to the red kryptonite. It's so funny the way they have to check their language, you know she's evil because she no longer cares to wear those dowdy tops her sister had her in she wears darker colours now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I love all the nods to Superman III in that episode: the synthetic Kryptonite, Kara flicking peanuts in the bar. Also Kara's reaction when she comes down from the Red Kryptonite is one of my favorite bits of acting in the entire season.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Marvel Television is developing New Warriors as a half-hour comedy, with Squirrel Girl as a major (lead? it's not quite clear) character.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/30/squirrel-girl-tv-series-comedy-new-warriors-marvel/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel Television is developing New Warriors as a half-hour comedy, with Squirrel Girl as a major (lead? it's not quite clear) character.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/30/squirrel-girl-tv-series-comedy-new-warriors-marvel/

yessss

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That girl from Stranger Things needs to get her agent on the phone right the gently caress now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

That girl from Stranger Things needs to get her agent on the phone right the gently caress now.

She just signed on to Riverdale.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

She just got cast in Riverdale, the CW Archie show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

She just signed on to Riverdale.

For 3 episodes! She can do a pilot!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume they already have ideas as to who they want to cast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barry Convex posted:

Cautiously optimistic for this. I don't care about the new warriors but I don't want SG saddled onto a lovely show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

Cautiously optimistic for this. I don't care about the new warriors but I don't want SG saddled onto a lovely show

Screw it, let's just go straight up 90s comedy complete with laugh track!

Wasn't Anna Kendrick pushing hard for Squirrel Girl?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a different note, I'm watching Powers and so far it's decent, but hilariously Walker and Pilgrim are the worst performances in it. The dude playing Johnny Royale, and Eddie Izzard and Michelle Forbes are all pretty good and I actually like the girl playing Zora, even if the 'Powers are basically mutants' gimmick messes with one of the more fun aspects of her character from the early comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Wasn't Anna Kendrick pushing hard for Squirrel Girl?

By pushing hard you mean "mentioned it one time offhand in an interview" right?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I would've thought Marvel didn't have the rights to Squirrel Girl as she was a mutant from her first appearance until like a year ago. Is it just enough that she never actually made it into the X Men?

Or maybe that one off single panel joke retcon Ryan North did holds legal weight?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mover posted:

I would've thought Marvel didn't have the rights to Squirrel Girl as she was a mutant from her first appearance until like a year ago. Is it just enough that she never actually made it into the X Men?

Or maybe that one off single panel joke retcon Ryan North did holds legal weight?

Being a mutant doesn't mean you belong to Fox. That joke panel has nothing to do with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Being a mutant doesn't mean you belong to Fox.

Except for all the times when it does. Like when Bendis said he was told to stop creating new characters because Fox automatically gained the rights to them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Not that I'd like them to run a single joke into the ground, but the joke of Squirrel Girl being able to defeat big name villains wouldn't have as much punch considering that between all the films and TV shows, the only famous one still alive is... Thanos, whom Squirrel Girl is in no way going to ever meet in the MCU. Kingpin or Abomination I guess?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

By pushing hard you mean "mentioned it one time offhand in an interview" right?

Why must you poo poo on my hopes and dreams?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Except for all the times when it does. Like when Bendis said he was told to stop creating new characters because Fox automatically gained the rights to them.

Well he still made them anyway and continued to make them. Eden Fesi also proves that newer created mutants don't automatically belong to Fox. Even with Squirrel Girl not being a mutant you have Namor, Eden Fesi, Typhoid Mary, and Molly Hayes. It's more about proximity to X-Men than just being a mutant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well he still made them anyway and continued to make them. Eden Fesi also proves that newer created mutants don't automatically belong to Fox. Even with Squirrel Girl not being a mutant you have Namor, Eden Fesi, Typhoid Mary, and Molly Hayes. It's more about proximity to X-Men than just being a mutant.

How many of those characters are being used in the MCU right now? Just because Runaways was announced doesn't mean they are actually going to be able to use Molly Hayes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

How many of those characters are being used in the MCU right now? Just because Runaways was announced doesn't mean they are actually going to be able to use Molly Hayes.

Eden Fesi has been mentioned a few times on Agents of SHIELD. Typhoid Mary was specifically part of the Daredevil deal and is back with Marvel. We know that Marvel has character rights to Namor just no distribution rights similar to the Hulk situation. And Molly Hayes is a pretty safe bet. Also Daisy Johnson, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver were all still considered mutants when they were put into projects even if they aren't now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's also safe to say that Molly, Eden, and Mary, when and should they appear in the MCU, will be something other than mutants as well, since they've shown no problem of stripping the mutant designation from already established characters, as mentioned with Daisy, Wanda and Pietro.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well yeah of course, Marvel can't use the term mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Daisy was never considered a mutant.