Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Heretic Void posted:

I couldn't help but notice that below the header on top it reads "Ideologies Destroy Civilization". What is it with DE people and not understanding what an ideology is?

They don't have an ideology! They have a mixture of Pure Reason and Unassailable Received Wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Space Poodle posted:

They don't have an ideology! They have a mixture of Pure Reason and Unassailable Received Wisdom.

Received wisdom sounds like religion. Can't have that! All those terrible religions like Christianity, and Islam, and feminism, and sociology.

Bad thing religion. Religion bad thing.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Received wisdom sounds like religion. Can't have that! All those terrible religions like Christianity, and Islam, and feminism, and sociology.

Bad thing religion. Religion bad thing.

No, no, no. Religion is okay, so long as it is like, Latin-only Trad Cath, Monarchist crazyness that pays a lot of lip-service to being the basis of Western Civilization, that hates everything that happened after the French Revolution. You know--the really anti-Semitic kind that Mel Gibson's dad likes. Those guys are allowed to be 2% of the total Dark Enlightenment vote.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Space Poodle posted:

No, no, no. Religion is okay, so long as it is like, Latin-only Trad Cath, Monarchist crazyness that pays a lot of lip-service to being the basis of Western Civilization, that hates everything that happened after the French Revolution. You know--the really anti-Semitic kind that Mel Gibson's dad likes. Those guys are allowed to be 2% of the total Dark Enlightenment vote.

The cathedral is okay as long as it is literally a cathedral.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/765248881273831424
https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/765315337831055360

Logic?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hey Rev, do you remember when George Zimmerman got off scott-free on the Trayvon Martin case, and you patiently sat by twiddling your thumbs while literally all of your reactionary tweeps were talking about how they'd have gunned down a savage negro were they in Zimmerman's position too?

No of course you don't.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
A staff writer for Amy Schumer posts the same as an Alt-Righter, turns out.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey Rev, do you remember when George Zimmerman got off scott-free on the Trayvon Martin case, and you patiently sat by twiddling your thumbs while literally all of your reactionary tweeps were talking about how they'd have gunned down a savage negro were they in Zimmerman's position too?

No of course you don't.

It gets better when someone calls him out on his poo poo, that entire tweet thread is something to behold.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Holy Christ, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I haven't really followed Amy Schumer's show apart from the odd sketch but I thought she was relatively decent? Seems she's blocking people criticising that rear end in a top hat though so I have a feeling she's going on The Naughty List.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She might just not want to deal with it at the moment. The guy's tweets kind of seem like a manic episode when you consider the time of day. It's possible he's got something wrong with him and she already knows.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jack Gladney posted:

She might just not want to deal with it at the moment. The guy's tweets kind of seem like a manic episode when you consider the time of day. It's possible he's got something wrong with him and she already knows.

So why block them if it's just a "not right now" thing?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So why block them if it's just a "not right now" thing?
Does blocking people prevent their tweets from showing up on your page - like if other people are looking at it? I'm thinking it might be a PR move, trying to hide the whole thing from people who aren't aware of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Figured this'd be appropriate for this thread.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/young-british-heritage-society-launch

Milo's starting his own Hitler Youth. Look at all those punchable faces.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Figured this'd be appropriate for this thread.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/young-british-heritage-society-launch

Milo's starting his own Hitler Youth. Look at all those punchable faces.

Christ

quote:

This was the whole point of the evening; the Young British Heritage Society is the latest half-formed thing to rise out of our increasingly stupid free speech wars. Its general secretary, Jamie Patel, used his brief speech to announce that "cultural Marxists have hijacked the country's institutions", and that "any attempt to celebrate British history" is silenced by political correctness.

:qq: Why can't I celebrate the glorious Zulu war like I've always wanted

/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't generally like the parts of Vice that aren't Motherboard since it's usually some edgy "we did heroin while skydiving over the syrian war" bullshit but that article is actually pretty well-written and researched and "gets" it, good for you Vice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I don't generally like the parts of Vice that aren't Motherboard since it's usually some edgy "we did heroin while skydiving over the syrian war" bullshit but that article is actually pretty well-written and researched and "gets" it, good for you Vice.

It's Sam Kriss, he's a good lad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

The Young British Heritage Society has big plans; they want to set up chapters in every British university – but it's not really clear what any of them will actually do, beyond meeting in a pub once a week and appreciating the logical, rational whiff of their communal farts. But most of the people I spoke to in the audience weren't there to support the YBHS at all, but to marvel over the event's keynote speaker, the "gay conservative provocateur" Milo Yiannopoulos.

I realise as I write this that some of you might be normal, happy people – people who live your lives in the sunshine and away from the sad buzz of your computer screen, and who have no idea who Milo Yiannopoulos is. If this is you, you should probably stop reading now; just smash that share button and go on to enjoy the rest of a good and wholesome life. It's not that Yiannopoulos is a particularly dangerous or disturbing person, although he likes to think he is, or that his views are more odious than any other media bigot; it's just that what he wants more than anything is for you to know who he is, and he shouldn't be allowed to get it.

mic

drop

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Eh, given that places like Buzzfeed and CNN get to call themselves "serious news agencies," I'm okay with those sort of trashy stories. Besides it's sometimes fun to watch/read things like "we taught Syrian rebels how to play Mario Kart"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

It's Sam Kriss, he's a good lad.

Eh

His output for Vice has been above his usual standards, but for the most part he's a really disingenuous sophist who squeaks by via the thinkpiece equivalent of clappy humor, in that his articles aren't so much written to advance a position or argue a point as to make certain people snarl and certain people feel good they're not the snarling people.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Milo Yiannopoulous' charity for white kids may have been yet another right-wing affinity fraud.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

divabot posted:

Milo Yiannopoulous' charity for white kids may have been yet another right-wing affinity fraud.

To the surprise of no one :smug:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Eh

His output for Vice has been above his usual standards, but for the most part he's a really disingenuous sophist who squeaks by via the thinkpiece equivalent of clappy humor, in that his articles aren't so much written to advance a position or argue a point as to make certain people snarl and certain people feel good they're not the snarling people.

This hot take here. So which thinkpieces of his have you found yourself snarling at?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TomViolence posted:

This hot take here. So which thinkpieces of his have you found yourself snarling at?

Uuuuggghhhh this is not going to be a rewarding discussion so I don't think I'll engage in it

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

divabot posted:

Here's hoping a bunch of pasty nerds show up to his fraud hearing like that one sovereign citizen guy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

divabot posted:

Milo loving fascinates me so many levels. He's made up of so many strange contradictions that if one even slightly fell out of balance I think the universe might implode.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Uuuuggghhhh this is not going to be a rewarding discussion so I don't think I'll engage in it

Not that I would ever ask you to stoop to my level or anything, but even if you just wanted to hold your nose a second and post some examples so that I could read them back and feel bad about enjoying the man's output that'd be great and all.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tracula posted:

Milo loving fascinates me so many levels. He's made up of so many strange contradictions that if one even slightly fell out of balance I think the universe might implode.

My favorite was a while ago when he wrote a big article defending loving comment sections on newspaper articles as being full of handsome intelligent wonderful people who are being silenced by the PC police.

Like in order to reconcile defense of internet comment sections as smart with his huge ego and self-image of genius swarthy philosopher who's just too real for the world the man must be entirely comprised of 99.5% pure cognitive dissonance.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Just wanted to drop this link about scholarship distribution:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134623124

As of 2011, white men received 72% of distributed scholarships.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

My favorite was a while ago when he wrote a big article defending loving comment sections on newspaper articles as being full of handsome intelligent wonderful people who are being silenced by the PC police.

Like in order to reconcile defense of internet comment sections as smart with his huge ego and self-image of genius swarthy philosopher who's just too real for the world the man must be entirely comprised of 99.5% pure cognitive dissonance.

I was thinking more juvenile than that. He hates anything progressive, worships Trump but loves big black cocks and is one of the fuckers who really catapulted cu'ck into the internet lexicon.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

It's easy - he's a gutless opportunist. He care about nothing except for what benefits himself.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

tabris posted:

It's easy - he's a gutless opportunist. He care about nothing except for what benefits himself.

Yeah, he's a standard schoolyard bug-eater/flame war Me-Too. He does and is whatever keeps him in the limelight and (more importantly) out of the line of fire. The contradictions are there simply as an artifact of his willingness to do and be whatever will get him a bunch of likes right now, never mind previous positions.

His current role is as the Republican Gay Best Friend, who exists primarily to tell them that it would be okay for them to say "oval office" and "human being" if only the PC Police weren't keeping their freedom of expression under evil lockdown. Also to be the token flaming, woman-hating stereotype gay.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
What gets me is how hard people rattle their sabres at PC culture these days. It's strange because there aren't the same boundaries to push like Geroge Carlin did here in Milwaukee a number of decades ago for example. Fighting PC culture is good and all if you really must but for so many people it's just that they wanna say friend of the family or call women cunts. You're not really fighting the power anymore, you just want the right to be lovely and not be called lovely.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
"How dare you call me a bad person for saying something horribly racist! PC oppression! DAE white males are the real oppressed minority???"

Also I haven't read the thread (surprise) or more than a few dozen (!!!) of Yudkowsky's articles, but why is he listed among a bunch of regressive crypto-Nazi shitbags? He's a weird cult figure and the LW hivemind is pretty loving silly sometimes, but he's never come across to me as a weird eugenicist or "racial realist" or whatever. The OP quote seems like it might be referring to his quest to define "intelligence" in a way amenable to AI.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aschlafly posted:

"How dare you call me a bad person for saying something horribly racist! PC oppression! DAE white males are the real oppressed minority???"

Also I haven't read the thread (surprise) or more than a few dozen (!!!) of Yudkowsky's articles, but why is he listed among a bunch of regressive crypto-Nazi shitbags? He's a weird cult figure and the LW hivemind is pretty loving silly sometimes, but he's never come across to me as a weird eugenicist or "racial realist" or whatever. The OP quote seems like it might be referring to his quest to define "intelligence" in a way amenable to AI.

Your question is covered in the thread, but basically he's friends with a few DE players and spawned a few, but he himself isn't full DE.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Your question is covered in the thread, but basically he's friends with a few DE players and spawned a few, but he himself isn't full DE.

He pretty hilariously called them a bunch of idiots who weren't worth engaging with a few months back, which must have stung his nerdfascist fans a bit.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Avenging_Mikon posted:

He's not really DE at all, but he's a major figure in the scene that spawned the DE, which makes him relevant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aschlafly posted:

Basically, because while he isn't DE himself, his site ended up being a major spawning ground for these shitbags due to his and his buddies' particular biases and blind spots.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

If he were a more practical thinker, I think he would be more of a dark enlightenment type, but he sticks to the clouds and keeps his boots clean.

However as a Slate Star Codex reader/quoter, he will still get his turn at the guillotine when the great P C S J W revolution comes.