Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Shodai posted:

It is nothing like UO.
I'm interested because I watched those PvP videos of Forge and such just trolling a bridge and looting peoples stuff. It's top down, probably different skills but looks like a drat near full loot and griefing fun, much like UO.. just wanting to know whats good/bad about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I have been camping a town for the last 3 days and killed well into the hundreds...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rip whoever the player "well into the hundreds" is

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm interested because I watched those PvP videos of Forge and such just trolling a bridge and looting peoples stuff. It's top down, probably different skills but looks like a drat near full loot and griefing fun, much like UO.. just wanting to know whats good/bad about this?

Good early game is fun, bad feels incomplete and has several odd design choices. It will be f2p at launch probably not worth buying into beta. Oh and f2p is kind of more demo, you basically get double everything by subscribing. But you can do that with normal game currency too.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

pixaal posted:

Good early game is fun, bad feels incomplete and has several odd design choices. It will be f2p at launch probably not worth buying into beta. Oh and f2p is kind of more demo, you basically get double everything by subscribing. But you can do that with normal game currency too.

I think they ditched the f2p model. Someone else probably knows more details but I think you're going to need to buy in in some form if you want to play.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ruggan posted:

I think they ditched the f2p model. Someone else probably knows more details but I think you're going to need to buy in in some form if you want to play.

RIP Albion Online.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the game will be dead in 3 months after release if they don't allow f2p players in

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game will be dead 3 months after release because they're literally letting select players have special powers and permissions.

When has that ever worked out well?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Unfunny Poster posted:

The game will be dead 3 months after release because they're literally letting select players have special powers and permissions.

When has that ever worked out well?

Wait, what?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to what I've heard people in RT get like player mod roles and can mute/probate people. Which, according to some other people, has resulted in those same guys abusing that power etc.

If you want to kill a community for your game, that's a pretty sure fire way.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Lol

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Here's an official post on this topic: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/35985-In-game-chat-moderation/

quote:

"(...)we have been putting together a team of passionate and dedicated veteran players that are willing to invest their time to answer question, give advice, and, at the same time, help keep the chat engaging and free of spam bots. They will serve as Mentors and Moderators for our ingame chat."

quote:

"What are Chat Moderators?
Chat Moderators are experienced players that voluntarily spend some time to help the game in many ways. We expect them to act like our forum moderators, except they do their job in game. For that, they will carry a toggleable <Mod> tag after their name [Note: In the beginning of the Pre-Test they will still field the <GM> tag, but still have not more powers). Their primary task is to answer questions, to foster constructive discussion and, if necessary keep an eye on tone and spam in the different chatchannels. (Gold Spammers anyone?)"

And here's the best bit in my opinion:

quote:

"What tools do they have?
They will have access to a limited set of tools needed for chat moderation - muting and banning of accounts temporarily. It cannot be stressed enough that they will not see any additional information on your account and have absolutely no powers influencing the game directly."

Looks good.

List of these wonderful people is in the thread.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Clementine

lol

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Didn't other companies get fined or something for employing "volunteers" and not paying them?

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
x if baka

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2DCAT posted:

Didn't other companies get fined or something for employing "volunteers" and not paying them?

Not sure. I know EVE does the whole "player volunteers" thing but its solely as forum mods and the in-game stuff is limited heavily. Like all the volunteers can do is go in a ship to a battle that is ultra tanky (more so than everything else) and get screenshots for some post about the battle later on. They can't ban you from the forums, or from in-game chat, only GMs do that. The most they can do is remove a post for whatever reason it'd break the rules but even then people abuse it.

ecsdee

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/albiononline/comments/4ym3aj/rant_my_issues_with_albion/

History repeating itself. Folks are making the same observations and venting frustrations some have for 2 years. I can feel 'AlbionOnlineAMA' seething in his responses/effort posts within that thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

drat whoever AlbionOnlineAMA is in that reddit thread he didn't keep it together very long before the frustration ":)" smileys came out lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah definite meltdown

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hi i just want to say albion is a mistake and im comparing berciliak as the kenneth bainbridge of the mmo world but more dumb and indecisive

ok bye

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FUKKEN posted:

Here's an official post on this topic: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/35985-In-game-chat-moderation/

And here's the best bit in my opinion:

Looks good.

List of these wonderful people is in the thread.

A bunch of the guys I play other games with are already discussing getting chargebacks because the player mods have been loving with them. I've seen the support messages, it's not pretty.

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Deki posted:

A bunch of the guys I play other games with are already discussing getting chargebacks because the player mods have been loving with them. I've seen the support messages, it's not pretty.

I am still waiting for the classic cut the power lines to make a titan pilot go offline temporarily ban someone's account for alleged "misbehavior" when they're engaged in a very important fight or wearing "the best gear" while in combat.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Atleast Kim lost his account before one of these volunteers could take it from him.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm glad of it

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Who actually talks in global to get banned by these shitstains?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Thats a good question

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
friends im all about bandwagoning to hate on si, but if this player mod abuse was happening, wouldnt there be more than hearsay?

feels like someone would type up some threadnaughts on reddit with screenshots or something idk

nvm, its clearly a massive coverup and bercilak is plotting to drive up sales by having whales ban each other and making them rebuy

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Atleast Kim lost his account before one of these volunteers could take it from him.

It counts as a real notch if you are banned by the CEO rather than some snot nosed punk with a Mod tag.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Zero posted:

friends im all about bandwagoning to hate on si, but if this player mod abuse was happening, wouldnt there be more than hearsay?

feels like someone would type up some threadnaughts on reddit with screenshots or something idk

nvm, its clearly a massive coverup and bercilak is plotting to drive up sales by having whales ban each other and making them rebuy

That's a perfectly valid and reasonable viewpoint. I don't fully believe the stuff I was told, but I'm not shocked if that is what's happening. There's been plenty of previous games that show that doing what SI are doing with player mods is a dumb and bad idea and only screws up your community/playerbase.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
What community/playerbase?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

I got banned for saying "[Baka] is the best guild in the game!"

because apparently that is recruiting for a guild.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 24, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

so youre no longer able to play until you buy a new account?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really?

:laffo:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

so youre no longer able to play until you buy a new account?

it was a temp ban

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

it was a temp ban

ah. a classic case of literally hitler modzis running unchecked and ruining everything. epic fail, si. loving smdh rn

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

they should have banned you twice for contributing to people talking in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you're thinking of getting this, don't, it's like my memories of playing Runescape about 10 years ago, but with a higher price tag, worse bank and more obfuscation.

• Locked thread