Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was an SDCC preview. I don't think it's been publicly released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Travis343 posted:

Huh, I didn't realize they had even done any trailers for this movie. It's still a year out isn't it?

Well apparently Marvel doesn't agree with me re: MJ's redheadedness.

It was a comic-con sizzle reel. I'd say we an expect a teaser either with Dr Strange or Rogue One.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MrAristocrates posted:

He's a pretty abrasive guy, to put it mildly.

I'm not sure why people don't trust him, though. From what I've seen his sources are typically pretty solid.

I think his Marvel information tends to come out of his rear end but his DC leaks have been 100% accurate, at least for all the actually interesting stuff like Jimmy Olsen getting shot by KGBeast.

edit: Also I never want to hear about comic book hair after blonde Jessica Alba.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't care about MJ being a redhead but I'm in the minority of fans who would prefer they don't use any of the classic comic book girlfriends so that they can feel free to do their own story. Why re-do them anyway? Gwen's been killed, MJs been married.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

So according to this Zendayas's role in Homecomming is Mary Jane Watson. I cannot imagine a reason to be upset at that news other than being racist as gently caress.

I mean, can she act?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lmao. Anyone who thinks a black girl can't be hot (or even marginally attractive as a baseline) with red hair never saw Rihanna during the Loud era. I weep for you.

Also believe it or not black folks can be born with naturally copper and blonde hair but ppl forget this sooooo..

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh no! She doesn't have red hair. This is clearly story-ruining as Mary-Jane's red hair is so tied to...uh... stupid biotruth arguments about hair color matching personality?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why does she have to have red hair

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

site posted:

Why does she have to have red hair

Cause that's her big defining trait beyond "Peter's girlfriend" I guess?

I don't read much Spider-Man, I legit have no idea how big or well developed she is or is not. But as a non-Spider-Man person that's basically all I know about her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrProsek posted:

I don't read much Spider-Man, I legit have no idea how big or well developed she is or is not. But as a non-Spider-Man person that's basically all I know about her.

Her big defining trait in the comics is that she was the 'party girl' to Gwen Stacy's 'nice girl.' Ultimates inverted that making her the 'nice girl' and Gwen Stacy the wild girl. Hair color basically don't matter. It eventually ended up developing after Gwen's death into "Mary Jane is the one who doesn't take any poo poo" basically.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DrProsek posted:

OK assume MJ had different hair colors throughout the years. What would be your baseline then? Has a vagina or is white?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pictured is Movie Pepper Potts and Comic Pepper Potts. Comic Pepper having red hair is a pretty reliable feature not in the least because of her name playing into the redhead stereotype. (In fact she's defined as being very similar to Mary Jane Watson to the point the comics point it out!)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If they can cast a 6'2" Wolverine then they can cast a Mary Jane who doesn't have red hair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DrProsek posted:

If this is true perhaps it's better for the movie to not be beholden to lovely comic writers who think a woman's hair color is her defining trait

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no! She doesn't have red hair. This is clearly story-ruining as Mary-Jane's red hair is so tied to...uh... stupid biotruth arguments about hair color matching personality?

MJ's red hair is like, iconic. I don't give a gently caress about the actresses' race, black or white or martian she should dye it or wear a wig. I want a black Peter Parker, but ideally he'd put on the Spider-Man costume. Same thing.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Lmao. Anyone who thinks a black girl can't be hot (or even marginally attractive as a baseline) with red hair never saw Rihanna during the Loud era. I weep for you.

Also believe it or not black folks can be born with naturally copper and blonde hair but ppl forget this sooooo..

Rihanna would still be hot even if her hair were literally just a massive spider crouching on her head

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

MJ's red hair is like, iconic. I don't give a gently caress about the actresses' race, black or white or martian she should dye it or wear a wig. I want a black Peter Parker, but ideally he'd put on the Spider-Man costume. Same thing.

How is it more iconic than Pepper Potts, WickedHate?

You don't have an answer to this and you'll never actually have an answer to this because "I'd be okay with a (X)!! Just not this character!!" is the same excuse fans use every single time this comes up without fail and mysteriously only with characters who have a different race.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

How is it more iconic than Pepper Potts, WickedHate?

Pepper Potts is a side character to what was at the time of the movie a c-lister in the public consciousness. Big difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Pepper Potts is a side character to what was at the time of the movie a c-lister in the public consciousness. Big difference.

Oh, so it's okay to change iconic elements of a character as long as you don't know them?

The Spider-Man movies completely change Mary-Jane's personality and that is okay because "is the party girl" apparently isn't iconic but her hair color no that's iconic.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Rihanna would still be hot even if her hair were literally just a massive spider crouching on her head

Can somebody photoshop this up real quick? The idea of it alone is cracking me up

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

:jerkbag:

Nobody's saying this poo poo. I'm not gonna protest the movie, I'm excited to see Homecoming and I'll be seeing it day one, but I'll be a bit bummed as a Spider-Man fan if MJ doesn't have red hair. This will be the grand total of my reaction to it. I will feel a little weird seeing an onscreen MJ without red hair. But I'll get over it because who the gently caress actually cares in the long run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

:jerkbag:

Nobody's saying this poo poo. I'm not gonna protest the movie, I'm excited to see Homecoming and I'll be seeing it day one, but I'll be a bit bummed as a Spider-Man fan if MJ doesn't have red hair. This will be the grand total of my reaction to it. I will feel a little weird seeing an onscreen MJ without red hair. But I'll get over it because who the gently caress actually cares in the long run.

Why are you bummed about her and not Pepper Potts?

If you answer is "I didn't know about Pepper Potts" then you should acknowledge that maybe these changes aren't actually important and you're only caring about them because of instinctive fanboy response and not because they matter.

Edit:

I'm so bummed that Aunt May is not literally the crypt keeper. :smith: Why did you ruin this iconic element of the character, Sony?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I couldn't name a single character trait that Marvel has invested in Mary Jane worth giving a gently caress about over the years other than the fact that she's Peter's love interest. I mean, I guess if "fiery redhead" is a good enough character thesis for you to defend the concept of her hair color, then the real problem is the fact that there is nothing else about Mary Jane that is worth caring about, basically

Zendaya is great casting. This is not a good hill to die on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Her hair in the IM movies was strawberry blonde, it was "red enough" in my eyes. But, again, I don't much care.

Darn, got me again ImpAtom! You sure proved me wrong! I guess I do care too much, now let me post about how women's hair defines their intelligence!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Her hair in the IM movies was strawberry blonde, it was "red enough" in my eyes.

Darn, got me again ImpAtom! You sure proved me wrong! I guess I do care too much, now let me post about how women's hair defines their intelligence!

Uh. Did you somehow read my comment about "using hair color as biotruths" as being in favor of it?

Again, why are you bummed about that and not this:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, pretty much? MJ's hair color is practically synonymous with the love interest of the most popular superhero in the world behind Superman and Batman. Most people had never even heard of Iron Man before 2008, much less Pepper Potts. There's no point in clinging to her hair color like there is with MJ.

If your takeaway from this is "WickedHate is just a racist" whatever I won't keep arguing but I'm happy with the actresses' casting, I'm glad MJ is gonna be played by a talented black girl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, pretty much? MJ's hair color is practically synonymous with the love interest of the most popular superhero in the world behind Superman and Batman. Most people had never even heard of Iron Man before 2008, much less Pepper Potts. There's no point in clinging to her hair color like there is with MJ.

If your takeaway from this is "WickedHate is just a racist" whatever I won't keep arguing but I'm happy with the actresses' casting. Black Peter would have been best, but this is still neato and I'm glad a talented black girl is gonna be MJ.

So why aren't you complaining about Aunt May who has silver hair in every single version of the character ever?

(Hint: It's because you're not complaining about hair color, WickedHate)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Did you somehow read my comment about "using hair color as biotruths" as being in favor of it?

I'm saying your bullshit strawman of "I'll be a bit bummed if her hair isn't red" is unnecessarily vitriolic towards a group of people who's strongest complaint was "I'll feel a bit weird about it".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why is this a continuing argument after they said they won't give a gently caress in the long run?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

So why aren't you complaining about Aunt May who has silver hair in every single version of the character ever?

(Hint: It's because you're not complaining about hair color, WickedHate)

You cannot be this dense. Is this a bit? Seriously, like, I'm I missing :thejoke: somewhere?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

ImpAtom posted:

Because
A: iron man has never had the same level of popularity as spider man
B: literally every piece of merchandise with mary jane depicts her with red hair.

Its a dumb argument in general, but comic movie nerds love canon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

You cannot be this dense. Is this a bit? Seriously, like, I'm I missing :thejoke: somewhere?

Aunt May being defined as Peter's uncommonly old looking aunt is far more an iconic element of the character than Mary-Jane's hairr. Her frequent health issues are an ongoing part of the character, especially early on in the comics. Her being the same age as Iron Man is in fact a significant departure for the character. If you're complaining about them changing 'iconic' elements of the character, the change to Aunt May from being Peter's old sickly aunt to being someone that Tony Stark thinks is hot is actually more of a change than hair color. You should be complaining about how much that ruins the iconic elements of the character because Peter stressing over his aunt's health is a fairly major part of early Spider-Man.

The 'iconic' excuse only ever really seems to come out when race is involved. I'm not sure if it is just because people notice in that case it more but regardless it's gross and it's the kind of thing that leads to Jessica Alba being forced to have a truly awful dye job in Fantastic Four just to match 'the canon.'Demanding that people dye their hair to match the comic not because it's a plot point but because it's 'iconic' even if they don't match any of the other iconic elements of the character is deeply uncomfortable. Telling black actresses they either can't take a major role or they have to change their natural hair color is screwed up. (It's screwed up for any actor or actress in fact. It'd be hosed up if you told Jason Momoa he had to dye his hair blond too.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 19, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope she doesn't call Peter tiger either just to make more people mad

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should solve this MJ problem by having white redhead MJ die and pass on the mantle of Mary Jane to a young black girl

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Argue posted:

They should solve this MJ problem by having white redhead MJ die and pass on the mantle of Mary Jane to a young black girl

A young black girl named Gwen Stacy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Aunt May being defined as Peter's uncommonly old looking aunt is far more an iconic element of the character than Mary-Jane's hear. Her frequent health issues are an ongoing part of the character, especially early on in the comics. Her being the same age as Iron Man is in fact a significant departure for the character. If you're complaining about them changing 'iconic' elements of the character, the change to Aunt May from being Peter's old sickly aunt to being someone that Tony Stark thinks is hot is actually more of a change than hair color. You should be complaining about how much that ruins the iconic elements of the character because Peter stressing over his aunt's health is a fairly major part of early Spider-Man.

The 'iconic' excuse only ever really seems to come out when race is involved. I'm not sure if it is just because people notice in that case it more but regardless it's gross and it's the kind of thing that leads to Jessica Alba being forced to have a truly awful dye job in Fantastic Four just to match 'the canon.'Demanding that people dye their hair to match the comic not because it's a plot point but because it's 'iconic' even if they don't match any of the other iconic elements of the character is deeply uncomfortable. Telling black actresses they either can't take a major role or they have to change their natural hair color is screwed up. (It's screwed up for any actor or actress in fact. It'd be hosed up if you told Jason Momoa he had to dye his hair blond too.)

Can you quote a post where anybody said
a)if MJ is black she cant possibly have red hair
b)therefore MJ shouldnt be black

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not infuriated, just stating in my ideal casting Mary Jane could be any race as long as she kept the hair. No one gives a gently caress about Aunt May and any change to her character is probably for the best, though you could also interpret it as ageist sexism in making her young and beautiful because Hollywood hates women over a certain age.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Marisa Tomei is 51, which is a pretty normal age for the aunt of a teenager.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Some people are going to be mad about any changes, but I think it's the characters that are known for how they look that will get more people riled. MJ and Gwen are often more seen as sex symbols than characters. They're like Betty and Veronica.

I'd prefer red hair, but I respect a well done change more than being a slave to the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I realize I'm about to post the following sentence in a thread for comic book movies in a comic book forum, but I feel it needs to be said anyway.

What a bunch of nerds whining about meaningless minutiae you are.

• Locked thread