Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

evenworse username posted:

I'm not using them for anything else yet but I figure it's worth a shot having them basically be extra hit points for Vindictus.

Without some sort of rat or mat fixer, they really struggle to do anything. Vinny D should be pretty safe behind a sea of dudes, and late game he can get to God Stats with defenders ward making him 17/18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The thing that always gets me with him is that TP means activating first, and he likes that sea of dudes and dudettes - so you have to carefully plan where he's going to advance next turn, while also trying to block LOS to him. TP working on him is pretty nice though for getting to those flags.

He is the #1 caster I want to buy flamebringers for. Running 20" at 16/17 defense stats seems like the most annoying thing around with Dirge of Mist available too.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I've been using d.warded flame bringer with pKreoss and I legitimately don't know what to tell my opponents when they ask how they should deal with them.

Edit: other than git gud.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why are Zealots bad now? POW 8 blast damage spam seems still pretty good, or were they that dependent on the UA minifeat (which admittedly got hit really hard)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Magres posted:

Why are Zealots bad now? POW 8 blast damage spam seems still pretty good, or were they that dependent on the UA minifeat (which admittedly got hit really hard)

It's a combination of:

* the minifeat was amazing so it's a big loss - the new one is interesting but far harder to use
* they lost the ability to bomb even low-defense stuff with POW14s due to losing their RAT prayer - needing 8's to hit DEF12 is miserable
* increased prevalence of heavy spam in the game
* they went up in price
* a lot of other infantry options in Menoth got cheaper or better or both.
* a lot of our other options for carpet bombing low-ARM infantry improved, eg Redeemers/Sunbursts

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I've been using d.warded flame bringer with pKreoss and I legitimately don't know what to tell my opponents when they ask how they should deal with them.

Edit: other than git gud.

I run 'em on psev for the extra mat and point of damage because gently caress you all, that's why.

They still die to anything with CMA or decent MAT though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

xiw posted:

It's a combination of:

* the minifeat was amazing so it's a big loss - the new one is interesting but far harder to use
* they lost the ability to bomb even low-defense stuff with POW14s due to losing their RAT prayer - needing 8's to hit DEF12 is miserable
* increased prevalence of heavy spam in the game
* they went up in price
* a lot of other infantry options in Menoth got cheaper or better or both.
* a lot of our other options for carpet bombing low-ARM infantry improved, eg Redeemers/Sunbursts

Yeah. They got the "both ends" nerf, cost went up and their cards are significantly worse. They were too good defensively in mk2 but they got nerfed into total oblivion in mk3.

Mk3 generally created more unit diversity and equality, but protectorate basically just got a shift in its best units and still has a bunch that are fairly subpar.

At least the "new" good stuff is different! Idrians flame bringers and daughters are all seeing lots of table time. They are all more fun to play than errants and zealots.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My friend who plays Menoth only owns three units outside of the choir: Zealots, Errants, and Bastions. He hasn't been very impressed with infantry this edition, but so far he has had the most success with Zealots.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

My friend who plays Menoth only owns three units outside of the choir: Zealots, Errants, and Bastions. He hasn't been very impressed with infantry this edition, but so far he has had the most success with Zealots.

Ouch. Zealots, Errants, and Bastions were the hardest hit by the nerf stick this edition.

Tell your friend to pick up Idrians and he'll never go back. For a screen, TFG or either of the Cav work wonders too. Daughters work well also, but are very AOE vulnerable so can be trivial to deal with against the wrong matchup. And start stockpiling Knights Exemplar, those guys are going to be solid gold with any Vinny/High Reclaimer list.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I just bought zombie birds. I dunno if they'll do well ever. Thinking they won't

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Saalkin posted:

I just bought zombie birds. I dunno if they'll do well ever. Thinking they won't

Zombie birds are pretty fantastic. Couple them with babes or a caster with an arm debuff and they'll pretty reliably damage jacks. They just eat infantry.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saalkin posted:

I thought the whole things is that they were the new mcthralls and were a gotta have unit, just like the hellmouth.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

We'll see how they do after a few games. Normal mechs are pretty poo poo now so I haven't even bothered running them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Saalkin posted:

We'll see how they do after a few games. Normal mechs are pretty poo poo now so I haven't even bothered running them.

They're speed 7 with reposition and finisher and CMA they're good

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Saalkin posted:

I've played against them twice now. They were paired up with Goreshade 2. After Curse of Shadows and Dark Shroud, they pecked a Nomad's arms off. Soon after they came back as Bane Warriors to finish the job.

The other game was with Legendary Asphyxious who gave them Cloak of Ash, which gave them Stealth thanks to Prowl. Steelhead Riflemen were not amused.

God drat birds.

The Cryx players in my area love them. Anyone who bought one is already talking about getting a second unit.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
As annoying jammer units go, they are very annoying.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Our Cryx players favourite tactic is to jam with them or shoot them with Satyxis Gunslingers and use blood mist to make a cloud wall.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I have a box of birbs and 2 seetherflictors in the mail right now. Theyre flying Mechthralls that don't pay the "good in mk2" tax.

Edit: Any protips on reducing flightstand fogging from superglue? Ive never had luck with them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I bought a box because I think of them as "crowbots" and it makes me smile.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saalkin posted:

Agreed. But Carrion Thralls are the new McThralls in that they are cheap and hit well above their weight class, which was my point.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played my first two mk3 games last night- both times I took Karchev with a behemoth, decimator and a juggernaut and a winter guard artillery captain and played against my friends everblight. He took three tiny fuckers led by a beast master, a big punchy fucker and a flappy fucker with precision strikes. His warcaster was the prophet guy that can feat reanimate one of his beasts.

Good lord are there a lot of ways to randomly die in this game- I had a lot of fun but made some pretty bad mistakes both times that resulted in Karchev getting smacked to death after I overextended a little and didn't quite kill enough to make up for it. I was really really impressed with all three of my jacks but the behemoth is just :circlefap:, it mulched whatever it touched and shot the hell out of everything when it wasn't punching stuff to death. I love how you never really need to give it more than a focus between its subcortex and power up. I've been spending all day doodling lists with different casters now, I'm pretty stoked to play a bunch of them.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Karchev is bad though. Khador as a whole is a pretty bad faction. I mean, have you seen their latest release? Tsk tsk.

I wish I could afford a Khador army. They are so loving rad.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Post your jacks. I want some inspiration to paint my Merc jacks.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Karchev is bad though. Khador as a whole is a pretty bad faction. I mean, have you seen their latest release? Tsk tsk.

I wish I could afford a Khador army. They are so loving rad.

Malakov2 is actually really, really good.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

gannyGrabber posted:

Malakov2 is actually really, really good.

Is he though?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

w00tmonger posted:

Is he though?

Yeah that is what I said. I enjoy him and nothing is more hella rad than swinging with 5 dice on my Drakhun's dmg roll on a collossal and shearing off like 1/3 of it's boxes.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No but you see he's unplayable trash :eng101:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So after slowly getting back into the swing of things in regards to painting miniatures (mainly figures for Frostgrave/fantasy RPGs at the moment, with a few Guild Ball figs added in), the new starter boxes are tempting me to give Warmahordes another shot. I originally had some Khador stuff from the two-player battlebox, but the plastic used on those figures almost drove me to tears. How do the new plastics in the Mk3 battleboxes stack up? Are they fairly easy to clean, what sort of glue do you need to use on 'em (i.e., plastic cement or superglue), etc.

Apologies if this has all been answered before, too. I just wanted to check and see what you guys thought before I splurged and spent money to add to my already-existing backlog of miniatures to get painted. :tipshat:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Any of you FLGS employed goons have the release date for the Guardian/Indictor box? I wanna run a Guardian with Reznik 2 and 3eoss but I really don't want to buy one of the old dumpy metal sculpts.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I couldn't wait for the new plastic Guardian, so I went and bought the old dumpy one.

I really like the model, actually, but the scale creep is pretty obvious. It's barely taller than a light warjack, and the Crusader is fully a third taller and bulkier.

The Guardian is obviously supposed to be a souped up Crusader chassis, and the head even looks almost identical, so converting one from a plastic crusader should be easy - You just need to find a giant spear and two flags for the back.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I thought about a conversion but I don't have the time or the motivation for that at this point.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Stand him on a rock and he's fine. One layer of cork tile and my metal guardian looks perfectly in scale with a Vanquisher or Reckoner at ground level.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
That would betray my cohesive aesthetic vision for my army. Doing the absolute minimum hobby wise. Vallejo pumice, prime, base coat, dip, static grass, done. Hell, I'm to lazy to even properly dip my dudes. I brush that stuff on. I ain't got time to be shaking my warmans.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 19, 2016

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnElegantPeacock posted:

That would betray my cohesive aesthetic vision for my army. Doing the absolute minimum hobby wise. Vallejo pumice, prime, base coat, dip, static grass, done. He'll I'm to lazy to even properly dip my dudes. I brush that stuff on. I ain't got time to be shaking my warmans.

Nobody actually dips "dipped" figures anymore. Too much clean up and the results are way worse.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

Yeah that is what I said. I enjoy him and nothing is more hella rad than swinging with 5 dice on my Drakhun's dmg roll on a collossal and shearing off like 1/3 of it's boxes.

Ok but seriously tho post some more stuff about him, I'm genuinely curious how you're playing him/what he's been successful against.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

rkajdi posted:

Nobody actually dips "dipped" figures anymore. Too much clean up and the results are way worse.

Gah, dangit. I thought I was bucking the system. I was a rebel drat it! A stain and polyurethane mixing rebel!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I guess it's appropriate that I keep breaking my imperatus and having to put him back together :negative:

I swear that model is more pin than anything else now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GoodBee posted:

Post your jacks. I want some inspiration to paint my Merc jacks.

I have more of these if you're interested! :shrug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I recently got into the game for the first time about a month ago. Never wargamed before, so I went menoth cause I liked their lore.

Got a harbinger a few days ago and finally put it together. I was warned it was one or the worst models and I can see why...really proud how it came out though. Now just need the confidence to paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I have more of these if you're interested! :shrug:

Sure! What bases are those?