Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bradzilla posted:

People that are obviously sick who refuse to go to the doctor.

"That cough is getting pretty nasty, maybe you should see the doctor."
"Oh *cough* I think *cough* it's *COUGH* getting *COUGH COUGH COUGH* better though. *cough"
*repeat conversation for the next week until they finally go to the doctor and are diagnosed with bronchitis*
"Huh, guess I was sick after all!"

This continuously happens at my job, I just caught whatever some idiot brought in a little over a week ago. Bosses always harp on people to stay home and either work remote or take PTO. 95% of the time one of two things happen:

- "I don't want to use PTO, I have plans" - yeah, so does everyone else you loving clueless, selfish rear end in a top hat.
- "I have client stuff to do" - most of your work is remote and you can still drive to a site from your house, jackoff.

Really wishing our boss would say gently caress it and be like "well, you don't want to stay home and work, and you don't want a paid day off, so you can :frogout: and take an UNPAID day off". And of course, anyone calling the sick assholes out ends up getting told to suck it up or gets bitched at because boo loving hoo, sick dipshit doesn't want to get picked on :qq: gently caress all you sick douchebags, I'll keep calling you out whether you, the boss or any other little bitch likes it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Or your business could have separate sick days so that people don't feel like they are stuck between going into work sick or losing a vacation day.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People who couch offensive "jokes" with "oh I shouldn't say xyz, that wouldn't go down well would it/ that wouldn't be very PC haha"

You just loving said it u ingrate, I hate u just as much, possibly even more

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Butt Ox posted:

It's Latin!!!

Italian is a dialect of Latin.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Butt Ox posted:

It's Latin!!!

And it's paesano!!!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

People who couch offensive "jokes" with "oh I shouldn't say xyz, that wouldn't go down well would it/ that wouldn't be very PC haha"

You just loving said it u ingrate, I hate u just as much, possibly even more

this, but also people who get offended when you call them out on their bullshit. "It's just a joke calm down" no gently caress you you're a horrible person and you should know that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Butt Ox posted:

It's Latin!!!
And it's pronounced "wee-kay wersa."

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

My pet peeve is the state of American health insurance, and the fact that not all employers offer paid sick leave. :argh:

Or unpaid sick leave.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"We're sorry, but..."
"hi this is jane doe im not able to answer the phone i must be busy or out of the office i appreciate your patience but if you'd like i can get back to you as soon as possible or you can call my cell phone at five five f-"
"...is not available. please leave your message after the tone. if you'd like to leave your phone number, dial one. if you'd like to send a fax, dial two. if you'd like to send a pager message, dial three. if you'd like to send a message via pigeon, dial four. if

I JUSt

WANT

TO LEAVE

A MESSAGE

AAAAA

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

I would say the "furbabies" thing is a totally different issue, because it's not just another word for the same thing, it implies that you have this really weird view of what a pet is. Same with people who refer to themselves as the mother or father of their pet.

It's a dog. It's not your baby. It's an adult dog. You are not its parent. It's a dog. You are its owner.

My cousin does this on facebook. Me and my furbabies! #mychildrenaredogs

Whatever, I just figured she doesn't realize how grating that is to grumps like me. Then I hung out with her one day and she complained that her friends asked her to stop calling her dogs that. I just turned 35 and she's one year older. She started going on about how she refuses to have human children because once you're 35 the risk is too high and it's wrong to give birth to what could be a kid with problems.

She's been out of state for over a decade and we lost touch. She comes back, and it turns out she's an rear end in a top hat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People using scare quotes in an attempt to delegitimize something.

That atrocious "article" is way off base!

Kids these days with their rap "music" don't know how great The Beatles were!

My child could paint that excuse for "art!"

It's such a lame way to make something sound bad and it doesn't even really mean anything. It's the laziest criticism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also, scare quotes used for emphasis. Sometimes it's funny (free "pizza"), sometimes it's baffling (come "try" our new hamburger!). Mostly I just want to know where these people learned this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, scare quotes used for emphasis. Sometimes it's funny (free "pizza"), sometimes it's baffling (come "try" our new hamburger!). Mostly I just want to know where these people learned this.

Probably from the same people who taught them to use apostrophes when writing plural nouns.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fuckin rubberneckers. Doesn't matter how minor the accident is, doesn't matter how clear the road is, the interstate turns into a parking lot because every slackjawed idiot has to slow down and gawk at the wreck.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Gabriel Pope posted:

Fuckin rubberneckers. Doesn't matter how minor the accident is, doesn't matter how clear the road is, the interstate turns into a parking lot because every slackjawed idiot has to slow down and gawk at the wreck.

Despite the boring weather, there have been so many loving accidents, luckily always opposite of my direction of travel. However, every day this week I have hit or almost hit something on the freeway:

Monday- A stop sign. Later drove past a utility truck that had some arm thing on a hinge sticking out where a stop sign clearly should have been.

Tuesday- Drywall

Wednesday- Just a bunch of random lumber, mostly in splinters by the time I got there

Thursday - Carpet

Pet peeve: People who don't tie their poo poo down gently caress you.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Hoping not to start a derail but people who don't get flu shots. Lots of insurances pay 100%, otherwise it's like $20 and at CVS you get a 20% off shopping coupon. There's no excuse, and by not getting one you're affecting other people, especially the sick, elderly, and babies, who can't get the shot themselves and/or have lowered immune systems.

I REALLY hate "hurr hurr I never get sick" oh but maybe you just have a mild flu which you think is just a cold/headache/whatever but you're spreading it to everyone else!

I REALLY REALLY hate nurses and other medical professionals who don't get one because "Mercury" or some other NaturalNews bullshit. Oh hurr id rather listen to this sensationalist nonsense instead of my own medical training!

I got mine as soon as I saw the sign, they said I was the first person of the season to get one at that CVS :smug:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Aug 19, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You have a point, if you regularly come into close contact with elderly/sick/baby people like your example of nurses/doctors. Otherwise, from my perspective with a job that doesn't really involve a lot of close contact with anyone except my officemate and boss, it's just a pain in the rear end with no tangible benefit so I've never been motivated to get one. I haven't had the flu (as far as I am aware, I know I could have had a mild case etc but whatever) since I was a teenager so in terms of my priority list it's very low.

I'm not anti-vaccination by any means but there's a pretty big gulf between not giving your baby all the measels/etc vaccinations when they're young and not bothering to get a flu shot so it bothers me when people get just as indignant about it as if I said "I didn't vaccinate my kid and he came down with smallpox, I sent him to school anyway though whats the big deal".

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
But you could come into contact with someone who THEN comes into contact with someone who can't handle a flu. Even on a train/in the store/ etc. I know it may feel like a hassle to go down to the pharmacy but it's like 20 min max, or you can go to your doctor, or grocery store, etc. Tons of places give them out.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Story time: my moms best friend died from flu-related pneumonia because it's Russia so no one gets flu shots so the virus spreads quickly among people, and she got infected. She was in her 30s and in perfect health. She left behind a 12 year old daughter who had no dad and only had an 80 year old grandfather to be with her.

And don't think "oh it's just Russia" it happens here too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've always heard not to get one unless you have a weak immune system or are around people who do on a regular basis because it's basically a waste of a flu shot. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not a militant GET THE FLU SHOT OR YOU ARE BASICALLY HITLER type or anything, but if you aren't a literal hermit, then you do, in fact, come into contact with the elderly, the sick, the young, etc., or with people who are in contact with them, on a regular basis, just by virtue of living in a world with other people in it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've always heard not to get one unless you have a weak immune system or are around people who do on a regular basis because it's basically a waste of a flu shot. :shrug:

I do remember one year a while back there were severe shortages of flu vaccine and they advised people who weren't at risk to hold off, but that's an unusual situation. Normally the more people vaccinated, the better.

I pretty much just get it done when it's available and I'm at the doctor's for something else anyway (which is more and more often as I get older) so it's not exactly a massive inconvenience either way.

Peeve: getting older.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Different country but the NHS here gives the flu shots for free if you are:
  • are 65 years of age or over
  • are pregnant
  • have certain medical conditions
  • are very overweight
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
  • receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
  • are a front-line health and social care worker. It is your employer's responsibility to arrange vaccination for you

So really only for those most vulnerable.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have asthma, so my doctors always recommend I get one since catching full blown flu can cause some serious breathing issues.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
As far as I know, here in Ontario everyone can get it free from a GP's office, most pharmacies, and (in Toronto at least) at big immunization drives that Public Health does at places like malls and municipal buildings every weekend in the fall. In years where there have been shortages or delays, they prioritize it for at risk groups/those in contact with them, then open it up to everyone later on.

My new pet peeve is assholes who ostentatiously do their ~yoga breathing~ so loudly that you can hear them, AND ONLY THEM, from across a huge studio. There's 20 other people in the room, why are YOU the one turd sounding like Darth Vadar blowing into a megaphone?

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
There's probably somewhere you already go to regularly that gives out flu shots. They do them at the grocery store I shop at, so round about September or October I inevitably just happen to notice the sign while I'm heading in to buy groceries, sign up, do my shopping while I wait for my name to be called, and then get my flu shot. It adds like ten minutes and fifteen bucks to the trip, and I'm there anyways. Loads of drug stores do them too, at least around here.

Just get your drat flu shot. I take mine really seriously because I teach seminars to adults and so I work in close contact with large numbers of strangers pretty regularly, but even if I wasn't I'd still do it because why the hell not? It barely costs anything and means you won't get the flu, which can be a miserable goddamn experience.

e: my pet peeve: when my students show up for class while horrifically ill. I will personally schedule a makeup class for your sick sad rear end. You can even do makeup classes online for free without putting pants on. If you aren't able to focus/contribute you're going to have a lovely time anyways. And if you get me sick, I'm not getting paid and none of your classmates are getting taught next week, good job!

And people wonder why I carry around my own hand sanitizer.

God Over Djinn has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Aug 19, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

God Over Djinn posted:

Just get your drat flu shot

Pretty much this - everyone gets sick one way or another, and too many people drag their haggard, disgustingly gross asses into work or school as it is. Might as well take the precaution, I know my employer brings people in and covers our flu shots under our insurance, so there's nothing out of pocket to pay. Pretty sure a good chunk of employers do this, when I worked hospital IT in the past it was actually mandatory because of the environment.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

God Over Djinn posted:

e: my pet peeve: when my students show up for class while horrifically ill. I will personally schedule a makeup class for your sick sad rear end. You can even do makeup classes online for free without putting pants on. If you aren't able to focus/contribute you're going to have a lovely time anyways. And if you get me sick, I'm not getting paid and none of your classmates are getting taught next week, good job!

I had a student do this once, but it was for a major midterm exam, so I could understand her stress at not being believed if she had just emailed us. She walked up to the podium before the exam started and before she could even speak I told her to get out, I see she's obviously sick and she can do a makeup exam later. She was ready to do the whole "I'm very sick but I will take the exam if you need me to" self martyr thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How is it that our computers, ipads, printer, network, phones, literally anything that my staff is not capable of fixing on their own always breaks or malfunctions on my day off? Or if I am at work nothing ever breaks when there are only a couple customers or when I have plenty of staff to allow me to focus on fixing the problem. Yesterday I let a guy clock out early so he could go help out a friend with something, so I had to cashier for an hour before my next guy came in, literally 5 minutes after I take over the network fucks up right as 3 separate groups of 6-10 customers come strolling in. gently caress! It wasn't even a time of day we're normally busy, just randomly these guys all come in just in time to make my day difficult.

Turns out I just needed to replace a cat5 cable, so it was a simple fix, but so random and such terrible timing.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I get 2-4 spam calls every loving day now :argh: I've been able to automatically reject 'private numbers', at least, but just!!!!!!! leave me alone!!!!!!!!! I never pick up unless it's a contact/number I recognise, and if it's important then they'll leave a voicemail or call me back.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you see blue emergency lights up ahead, the sensible thing to do is to slow right down, because the road could be blocked, there could be debris/oil all over the road, you could be a hazard to the emergency vehicles, and so on. Unfortunately, due to the way traffic moves, as soon as anyone in fairly heavy traffic slows down then there will be a slow-down there even after the accident has been cleared. It's not rubbernecking, it's sensible action and traffic-physics.

Plus you might get a cool death-crash selfie, of course.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every other time I get a flu shot my arm hurts a lot the next day like I have a massive bruise. Other times I feel nothing. What's with that. The last two years were fine but I get nervous every time I come in to get it.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Mu Zeta posted:

Every other time I get a flu shot my arm hurts a lot the next day like I have a massive bruise. Other times I feel nothing. What's with that. The last two years were fine but I get nervous every time I come in to get it.

Is this a joke, how do u think inoculations work

I'm supposed to gt a flu shot since celiac disease puts you in a vulnerable category but I hardly ever get sick so I don't bother and I'm very into taking my mandated available sick pay.

Pet peeve: people-activated air-conditioning, jfc can I be something in between freezing and sweating to death for like more than half an hour at a time???? What is a thermostat?????? :argh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

If you see blue emergency lights up ahead, the sensible thing to do is to slow right down, because the road could be blocked, there could be debris/oil all over the road, you could be a hazard to the emergency vehicles, and so on. Unfortunately, due to the way traffic moves, as soon as anyone in fairly heavy traffic slows down then there will be a slow-down there even after the accident has been cleared. It's not rubbernecking, it's sensible action and traffic-physics.

Plus you might get a cool death-crash selfie, of course.

To some extent, sure. But when I can actually see people pull up alongside all the emergency vehicles and then hit the brakes, when they have nothing but 1000+ feet of empty road ahead of them, I'm gonna call it like I see it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When people refer to a chicken or a turkey, in the context of cooking, as "the bird", like "Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown" or "rub the bird with oil".

It's irrational, I know.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

When people refer to a chicken or a turkey, in the context of cooking, as "the bird", like "Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown" or "rub the bird with oil".

It's irrational, I know.

I have a similar thing with articles about hair and makeup. Whenever they mention "A smoky eye is perfect for the evening" or "This autumn, a berry lip is the new trend", I always think "What, just the one?"

And then they tell you how to use fifteen steps, a can of hairspray, ten hair grips and a £10 hair tie to get "the perfect pony". PonyTAIL.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

current pet peeve: people who are so oblivious that they can't actually realize that you're working/busy. I do not have the time to chat right now. I have poo poo I need to get done!

and when you're like "hey can we talk later I'm working" they get all offended and butthurt.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Today's peeve is medical appointment scheduling. "Your appointment is at 9, but come in 15 minutes early."

So why isn't my appointment for 8:45 instead?! This doesn't make any sense.

KoB
May 1, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

Today's peeve is medical appointment scheduling. "Your appointment is at 9, but come in 15 minutes early."

So why isn't my appointment for 8:45 instead?! This doesn't make any sense.

If theyre late, I have to sit around for 30 minutes.

If Im 5 minutes late, they cancel my appointment.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

KoB posted:

If theyre late, I have to sit around for 30 minutes.

If Im 5 minutes late, they cancel my appointment.

Today I waited for over an hour. :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
SA seems like a well rounded enough place that there has got to be a physician, general practitioner, or at least a doctor's office receptionist here to answer for some of this.

Is the scheduling just chronically optimistic? Is there some psychological reason why every single appointment must be at least 17 minutes late? I can understand how one appointment running long affects the several that follow, but how after decades of doing business can a single industry be so thoroughly apathetic about frustrating its customer base? I mean I know why they get away with it, but what is it about the american medical industry that doesn't allow for realistic scheduling?