Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Isn't the rMBP going to get refreshed really soon? This might not be the best time to buy; especially if you're OK with the current model, that will undoubtedly be cheaper to buy used when that happens. If you're price-conscious that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
^^^^^ yeah I will definitely wait anyway, but it's likely with Apple products that the prices for the older versions won't drop a lot, unfortunately.

Bob Morales posted:

True, but the $1299 13" model is a dual-core, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD machine with Integrated graphics
The $1999 15" model is a quad core, 16GB, 256GB SSD machine with slightly better integrated
The $2499 15" model is a quad core, 16GB, 512GB SSD machine with a GPU

Buy the $2499 model as a refurb IMO

Yeah I might have to do that at some point, there's fortunately still time to plan and save some money. The nasty thing is that the $2499 model actually costs $3200 in Germany. :negative:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Honj Steak posted:

Hm, I was afraid of that. The 15" rMBPs are just sooo ridiculously expensive here in Germany. :negative: 2200€ for a laptop is a pretty serious commitment.

If it's practical for you, you could buy it in Switzerland, the entry level 15" is CHF 2149 there, which comes to about € 1979. Apple takes € 2249 for the same model in Germany. Buy Swiss refurb and you'd make even more of a bargain I guess. I haven't tried it so I don't know if there's a catch. Warranty is global anyway and you can pick whatever keyboard you want.

Edit: The Swiss refurb store doesn't have any Macs at all right now.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 19, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

^^^^^ yeah I will definitely wait anyway, but it's likely with Apple products that the prices for the older versions won't drop a lot, unfortunately.

Heh, when a new product is released though, eBay gets flooded with people offloading their old ones. You can get some good deals.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

Heh, when a new product is released though, eBay gets flooded with people offloading their old ones. You can get some good deals.

Refurb prices also drop a decent amount.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I use my old 60 gig iPod Video with my clock radio's dock. Last night I had to reboot it and was surprised that although it's a little heavy and thick it still feels quite small. I think it's aged well and hope it will live forever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My iPod video (160gb :eyepop:) was destroyed by rain and no shop could repair it. It was literally my favourite device ever. RIP

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is this Apple MC968LL/A (Mid 2011) 11.6" MacBook Air Laptop, Intel Core i5-2467M, 64GB Solid-State Drive, 2GB DDR3, 802.11n, Bluetooth, MacOS 10.7 Lion for $399 a dumb thing to buy?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean if you don't intend on putting anything on it ever then no but 64GB of storage is the killer

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

64gb is ok if you stream all your media or have a cool NAS setup at home. Otherwise, definitely too small for a primary computer.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's a couchputer that will never be used for anything real then maybe sure.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yes, that's slow as gently caress in addition to having tiny storage. Why not a nice chromebook instead for the same price?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Apple (or someone) needs to come out with a VR headset.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That 2 GB of RAM is IMHO the biggest dealbreaker there.. running anything on top of just one browser will hit VM pretty hard, and even shoving in a third party, larger capacity SSD won't help very much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 2011 was only good for about 5 hours of battery life and now that battery is 5 years old

Plus the 2GB/64GB thing....I would only pay $199 for one of those

I have personally sold 2013 11" 4GB/128GB models in SA-MART for $450/$500

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Fair enough - That's what I thought. Just wanted a second opinion(s). :cheers:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife's mid-2009 13" MBP needs a new battery. Is there a reputable third-party source? I don't want to sink a ton of cash into a 7 year old computer, but I also don't want a bulging fire hazard.

Anker is as close to a name brand as I can find, but they're like double the price of some of the others with (possibly fake) good reviews on Amazon. Should I just spend the $50 on the Anker or what?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

My wife's mid-2009 13" MBP needs a new battery. Is there a reputable third-party source? I don't want to sink a ton of cash into a 7 year old computer, but I also don't want a bulging fire hazard.

Anker is as close to a name brand as I can find, but they're like double the price of some of the others with (possibly fake) good reviews on Amazon. Should I just spend the $50 on the Anker or what?

Depends on whether you're fine with wondering whether your computer is going to catch fire in order to save the princely sum of $25. Frankly I don't see why someone would subject themselves to that risk for such a meager savings on a computer they probably paid over a thousand dollars for, but that's just me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Weedle posted:

Depends on whether you're fine with wondering whether your computer is going to catch fire in order to save the princely sum of $25. Frankly I don't see why someone would subject themselves to that risk for such a meager savings on a computer they probably paid over a thousand dollars for, but that's just me.

Is that a vote for or against the Anker?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eddiewalker posted:

Anker or Nupower are really the only batteries to get. If it's only $50 it's probably fake.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP13MBU65V/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I sold my old 13" version of that with 128gb of storage and 4gb RAM for about $100 more than that about two years ago. So yeah, pretty dumb.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

Anker or Nupower are really the only batteries to get. If it's only $50 it's probably fake.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP13MBU65V/

It's Fulfilled By Anker, so I guess I'll go for this $50 one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D780NNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ue5TxbK4TW07Y

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How's the 5g receiver on the newer models of the Apple TV compared to the second gen? Moved to a new apartment where the only internet is wireless, and my iPad Pro gets a solid connection via 5g, but everything else is pretty weak.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

How's the 5g receiver on the newer models of the Apple TV compared to the second gen? Moved to a new apartment where the only internet is wireless, and my iPad Pro gets a solid connection via 5g, but everything else is pretty weak.

I use my AppleTV (whatever the new one is....4th gen? 5th gen? it has apps) on my 5Ghz router without issue. It connects at 450mbps and I haven't had an issue with video playback from any service.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When in the hell is the next Apple event?

I can't wait any longer!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tab8715 posted:

When in the hell is the next Apple event?

I can't wait any longer!

September 7, but that's likely only iPhones. "October" is the rMBP rumor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turning the Apple TV upside down always used to help somewhat with wifi connectivity.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

EL BROMANCE posted:

Turning the Apple TV upside down always used to help somewhat with wifi connectivity.

I'll try this! Now if only I could figure out how to get my ps4 to work better on our network.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

wdarkk posted:

September 7, but that's likely only iPhones. "October" is the rMBP rumor.

Apple is so goddamn slow. Granted, Intel's partially at fault here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

 Enriching lives.

We are here to enrich lives.
To help dreamers become doers,
to help passion expand human potential,
to do the best work of our lives.

AT OUR BEST

We give more than we take.
From the planet,
to the person beside us.
We become a place to belong
where everyone is welcome.
Everyone.

We draw strength from our differences.
From background and perspective
to collaboration and debate.
We are open.

We redefine expectations.
First for ourselves, then for the world.
Because we’re a little crazy.
Because “good enough” isn’t.
Because what we do says who we are.

We find courage.
To try and to fail,
to learn and to grow,
to figure out what’s next,
to imagine the unimaginable,
to do it all over again tomorrow.

AT OUR CORE

We believe our soul is our people.
People who recognize themselves
in each other.
People who shine a spotlight
only to stand outside it.
People who work to leave this world better than they found it.
People who live to enrich lives.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That eerily takes me back to when I had to recite prayers for my catholic catechism.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Mac Hardware Megathread - For all your Catholic needs

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Verisimilidude posted:

I'll try this! Now if only I could figure out how to get my ps4 to work better on our network.

From everything I've heard, the PS4's wireless NIC performs in the same league as the PS3, that is, ultra lovely. I used to pull 2mbps down on a 80mbps connection with mine maybe 15 feet away from the access point.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I don't think there's an ATV thread so I'll ask here: How the hell do you set your iCloud photo library as your screensaver on the ATV4? I see the option in the screensaver settings but selecting "photos" just throws me into the photo app. Or can you only use shared albums?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

robodex posted:

I don't think there's an ATV thread so I'll ask here:

Apple TV thread for ya

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I have a friend with a 2011 MBA with a swollen battery. If they take it into a genius bar what can they expect? Is the $129 battery pricing the only option?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MrBond posted:

I have a friend with a 2011 MBA with a swollen battery. If they take it into a genius bar what can they expect? Is the $129 battery pricing the only option?

My experience with a swollen battery is that Apple did a goodwill repair 3 years out of warranty. The next time, they charged. They're authorized to do stuff like that but it's a coin toss.

Prepare to spend the money.

Edit: it's not your ONLY option. You can get a 3rd party battery and have an AASP install it or install it yourself. Ask Apple first - nicely :P

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrBond posted:

What's it worth to you? I saved the couple bucks and put a $30 ebay chinese knockoff battery in a 2009 Macbook a couple years ago, and it's held up great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah but dude really should ask Apple first, then solicit us for advice on 3rd party batteries. Sometimes the people in store really do see bulging batteries as a "gently caress it we should fix this" kind of thing. Best to have everything OEM IMO especially if you can get it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

D'oh I'm blind. Thanks!