Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nice save. Because things were about to get jiggy.

This jiggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No wait, I meant this jiggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0bClUp9I6w

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

Ah, I meant the "modern ones". TOS is great fun but I haven't seen the entire run. DS9/Voyager have zero redeeming features and are basically trash - Enterprise, while still not being very good, is better than either. DS9 is basically Sliders quality SciFi.

How much DS9 did you actually watch? I get hating Voyager (though it does have a few redeeming features here and there), but DS9 has some truly incredible episodes as well as the most fully realized characters, strongest continuity, and most consistent writing of any Trek series. It may not be for you -- I know there are people who don't like how serialized it is, hate the characters/actors for whatever reason, or resent it for being too different from the other Trek series, but in my experience most of the people who slag on it never gave it much of a chance in the first place. The first season is a bit rocky (though still miles ahead of TNG's and less stilted/more accessible than B5's) and it does take a while for the plot threads to come together and the characters to come into focus, but once you get invested in the world and things really start moving it's able to reach heights of drama that the more episodic Trek series never could.

Also, you must realize that your Sliders comparison is hyperbolic as hell (even speaking as someone with a soft spot for Sliders) because even if you hate everything about DS9's writing and what it represents, you have to at least acknowledge that its production value was way better, it didn't hemorrhage most of its cast, and far fewer of its episode premises were lifted from popular movies.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

what about this jiggy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

Lily Rose
May 7, 2007
Hey, remember when this was the thread for The Expanse and not other shows? That was pretty nice.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lily Rose posted:

Hey, remember when this was the thread for The Expanse and not other shows? That was pretty nice.

Who's stopping you from posting about The Expanse?

Without turning this into a thread about the book series (which seems like a bad idea), there's only so much to say about the show at this point, and season 2 is at least five or six months off.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Disgusting filth.

Possibly that jiggy, yes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lily Rose posted:

I don't know if you're new or what, but in between seasons or at the end of a space show, the thread becomes about every other space show. Except for the Doctor Who thread. That thread becomes about radio episodes that no one but a bunch of nerds listen to.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lily Rose posted:

sorry for posting :(

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Duckbag posted:

How much DS9 did you actually watch? I get hating Voyager (though it does have a few redeeming features here and there), but DS9 has some truly incredible episodes as well as the most fully realized characters, strongest continuity, and most consistent writing of any Trek series. It may not be for you -- I know there are people who don't like how serialized it is, hate the characters/actors for whatever reason, or resent it for being too different from the other Trek series, but in my experience most of the people who slag on it never gave it much of a chance in the first place. The first season is a bit rocky (though still miles ahead of TNG's and less stilted/more accessible than B5's) and it does take a while for the plot threads to come together and the characters to come into focus, but once you get invested in the world and things really start moving it's able to reach heights of drama that the more episodic Trek series never could.

Also, you must realize that your Sliders comparison is hyperbolic as hell (even speaking as someone with a soft spot for Sliders) because even if you hate everything about DS9's writing and what it represents, you have to at least acknowledge that its production value was way better, it didn't hemorrhage most of its cast, and far fewer of its episode premises were lifted from popular movies.

I slogged through the whole thing on Netflix a while back. It started off pretty bad (what wacky scheme is the ferengi going to pull this week and still inexplicably be allowed to stay on the station?) and didn't really improve at all. I kept watching because everyone says this is the good Trek and any minute now it'll start to push the story along but that didn't really happen. There are no stakes, nothing matters, things that should be a big deal are ignored or conveniently written out. My main criticism in fact, is that it is not serialized enough. What little continuity exists only really starts to materialize towards the end of the show and by then I had pretty much checked out. I continued in the hope that it would redeem itself but all I got for my trouble was a crazy person wailing about "the pah wraiths" episode after episode. They're both awful shows but at least Sliders knew it was terrible and went full bore into crazyland - DS9 is really loving bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry DS9 is actually a really good show and by far the best trek. The expanse is the first scify that's been on TV in decades that's even close to being good. Everything else, B5, BSG, what ever, it's all really bad. Hell it's hard to even watch TNG after a DS9 binge because all the characters feel so static and lifeless and everything is beige from the sets to the writing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The beige problem of TNG was mostly the VHS. The HD Remasters are a lot better. Can't get rid of the beige of the ship sets, but there's lots of colors elsewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The bridge still looks like a dentist's office.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

I slogged through the whole thing on Netflix a while back. It started off pretty bad (what wacky scheme is the ferengi going to pull this week and still inexplicably be allowed to stay on the station?) and didn't really improve at all. I kept watching because everyone says this is the good Trek and any minute now it'll start to push the story along but that didn't really happen. There are no stakes, nothing matters, things that should be a big deal are ignored or conveniently written out. My main criticism in fact, is that it is not serialized enough. What little continuity exists only really starts to materialize towards the end of the show and by then I had pretty much checked out. I continued in the hope that it would redeem itself but all I got for my trouble was a crazy person wailing about "the pah wraiths" episode after episode. They're both awful shows but at least Sliders knew it was terrible and went full bore into crazyland - DS9 is really loving bad.

This is good, you didn't go off the rails and make it obvious, 10/10

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Tighclops posted:

This is good, you didn't go off the rails and make it obvious, 10/10

I'm actually joking about Sliders, I think I saw about a half dozen episodes over its run but I honestly did watch the entire DS9 run (sans most Klingon episodes) and it was garbage. TNG is the only watchable one of the "modern" Treks but even then its Klingon episodes are bad.
Basically, TNG great; DS9 & Klingons bad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

This is truth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are lame troll posts not against the rules anymore?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
no it's the mirror universe leaking again

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All your old people sci-fi suck and are naive muddled messes with lame effects and weird forehead aliens :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

All your old people sci-fi suck and are naive muddled messes with lame effects and weird forehead aliens :smug:

Mods?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

The beige problem of TNG was mostly the VHS. The HD Remasters are a lot better. Can't get rid of the beige of the ship sets, but there's lots of colors elsewhere.

What gets me about the remasters is that season 1 is now the best-looking of the bunch, thanks to the more varied lighting. Still the least watchable season, though.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
BSG became TWD level of hate watching by the middle of season 2. I wish SyFy would live action LOGH and Planetes

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

gohmak posted:

BSG became TWD level of hate watching by the middle of season 2. I wish SyFy would live action LOGH and Planetes

You started hate watching before this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

the gently caress is wrong with you?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I thought even the haters generally agreed it was good up through New Caprica.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

No, I for one never made it that far. I still don't think I've seen a single season 3 episode. Of course, I was watching a couple years behind the hype train and by then the internet backlash was in full swing so it's possible that I was a little quick to drop it after the first really bad episode, but I remember I'd been watching through it with a friend and we both just sort of threw up our hands and said "gently caress this" in the back stretch of season 2 when the plot seemed stalled and the angst was getting unbearable. I really should go back and give it another chance, I suppose.

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm actually joking about Sliders, I think I saw about a half dozen episodes over its run but I honestly did watch the entire DS9 run (sans most Klingon episodes) and it was garbage. TNG is the only watchable one of the "modern" Treks but even then its Klingon episodes are bad.

Yeah, if you're not trolling, I'll respect your DS9 hate for what it is, but your contrast with TNG is still really weird. TNG has so many bad episodes. Most of seasons 1, 2, and 7 are mediocre to poo poo and I hate how shallow most of its characters stayed even after seven seasons. It's always weird to me how often fans will complain about something they don't like in DS9 (or Voyager, for that matter), but gush about TNG despite it having so many of the same flaws. I mean, you talk about DS9 not having enough stakes or continuity, but it's still a show where the characters felt like they'd grown from one season to the next, the ongoing political situation mattered from episode to episode and where, when the station got occupied by the enemy, it stayed occupied for an entire plot arc. If you can enjoy TNG despite the fact that 90% of the episodes feature characters and events that will never be referenced again, I'm not sure continuity is really your issue.

Anyway, I feel you on the Klingon episodes (because oh my god are there some turds), but I should point out that the DS9 klingons were generally better handled and you may have been inadvertently skipping some pretty decent episodes. The one where they disguise themselves to go undercover on the Klingon homeworld and Sisko turns out to be really good at pretending to be a klingon is still one of my favorite moments. Also yeah, some of the late run prophet/pah wraith stuff was pretty bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
TNG has Geordi who turns into a creepy stalker whenever he interacts with a woman so goons identify with that show the most.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Who's stopping you from posting about The Expanse?

Without turning this into a thread about the book series (which seems like a bad idea), there's only so much to say about the show at this point, and season 2 is at least five or six months off.

I would very much like an Expanse book thread so I don't have to trawl through TBB's giant megathreads. Maybe I'll write up an OP once I'm done streaming tonight.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Captain Fargle posted:

I would very much like an Expanse book thread so I don't have to trawl through TBB's giant megathreads. Maybe I'll write up an OP once I'm done streaming tonight.

That would be awesome. To be clear, I just thought it'd be a bad idea for this thread to fill up with book chat. Having a separate book thread in the meantime would be great, especially with Babylon's Ashes coming out in a few months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah if we want to book talk let's do that in a different thread so as not to ruin anything for anybody.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Help me think up a good title for the book thread. I'm drawing a blank.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Captain Fargle posted:

Help me think up a good title for the book thread. I'm drawing a blank.

Doors and corners, kid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Radio Free Posting Zone

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

In The Grim Darkness of the Future There is Only Capitalism.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Remember the Donnager

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Remember the Donnager

RIP arrogant martian space communists

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Prepare to die, Earth scum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NZ7PpNJ_8

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

Book thread is up. Ended up not bothering with a title since it's like 3am and none of the titles seemed to grab me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Duckbag posted:

No, I for one never made it that far. I still don't think I've seen a single season 3 episode. Of course, I was watching a couple years behind the hype train and by then the internet backlash was in full swing so it's possible that I was a little quick to drop it after the first really bad episode, but I remember I'd been watching through it with a friend and we both just sort of threw up our hands and said "gently caress this" in the back stretch of season 2 when the plot seemed stalled and the angst was getting unbearable. I really should go back and give it another chance, I suppose.

Yeah, if you're not trolling, I'll respect your DS9 hate for what it is, but your contrast with TNG is still really weird. TNG has so many bad episodes. Most of seasons 1, 2, and 7 are mediocre to poo poo and I hate how shallow most of its characters stayed even after seven seasons. It's always weird to me how often fans will complain about something they don't like in DS9 (or Voyager, for that matter), but gush about TNG despite it having so many of the same flaws. I mean, you talk about DS9 not having enough stakes or continuity, but it's still a show where the characters felt like they'd grown from one season to the next, the ongoing political situation mattered from episode to episode and where, when the station got occupied by the enemy, it stayed occupied for an entire plot arc. If you can enjoy TNG despite the fact that 90% of the episodes feature characters and events that will never be referenced again, I'm not sure continuity is really your issue.

Anyway, I feel you on the Klingon episodes (because oh my god are there some turds), but I should point out that the DS9 klingons were generally better handled and you may have been inadvertently skipping some pretty decent episodes. The one where they disguise themselves to go undercover on the Klingon homeworld and Sisko turns out to be really good at pretending to be a klingon is still one of my favorite moments. Also yeah, some of the late run prophet/pah wraith stuff was pretty bad.

I mean yeah, the biggest twist this thread has dropped is this opinion. I mean I completely get not liking DS9 but its really the first star trek to do anything major in terms of a continuous story. TNG has a few two parters that shake things up but for the most part you never hear or see anything beyond the problem of the week episode. I mean every big plot in TNG is ultimately just a set up for a DS9 plot arc. Some of the best character growths are about taking people like Kira, a former terrorist fighting a nazi occupation, shifting all the way over to wanting peace and cooperation between the two races and having two of her closest friends being cardassians. On the flipside you get the adamant stereotypical star fleet captain in Sisko being pushed slowly to the point where hes willing to just murder a ship full of Romulans to trick them into fighting a war he needs them to fight. Character and plot arcs are pretty consistently moved throughout the show, even if its a relatively glacial pace compared to modern serialization.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

It's really funny going back through the books again in preparation for Babylon's Ashes. After watching the show my mental image of some characters has shifted completely. Everything Miller does is done by Thomas Jane in a bad haircut now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hello I just watched this show. It is extremely well done, from the plotting, the pacing, and much of the acting. Well, Holden is a pretty weak lead, but Miller is great, as are many of the side characters (Amos, Naomi, Dawes, all the Martians (esp. Lopez), Indian Lady, fat Adam Jensen, Julie, Julie's evil dad). The special effects are quite convincing, though I really wish that when scenes transitioned from within-ship to outside-ship, the ship was kept in the same vertical orientation so the direction of the g-force remained the same.

A story aspect that I didn't really like was the mysterious 4th faction that was trying to get everyone to kill one another. Like I can buy that someone can hide a space station somewhere and funnel in refined metals and stealth materials and advanced schematics, but who are they? What motivates them to fight and die? Because corporate troops and mercenaries are cowards, they have no motivation to fight and die against highly armed and moraled Martians. Because while the attack on the Donnagher was well planned and executed, they must have gone in with the expectation of losses (especially the boarders).

Also, did the conspirator's troops have some kind of advanced biomods to rapidly seal gunshot wounds? Because the way the scene was framed, with the subsequent recovery of Havelock in the street, made me think that Havelock was a member of the conspiracy and had a similar biomod.

• Locked thread