Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just think they had no chemistry at all. Kirsten Dunst is at her best in a movie like Marie Antoinette, where she's not supposed to have chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I liked Skarsgard, but I am surprised to see people mourning Kat Dennings. I like her as a person, but her character in Thor had a couple of good lines but was mostly either inconsequential to the story or annoying.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

rantmo posted:

Patsy Walker is an iconic Marvel redhead clad in garish yellow and blue not a blonde radio host named Trish and not only did the world keep spinning properly but Jessica Jones was loving great. It turns out that everything is negotiable if the finished product is quality.

Patsy, Matt, Iris, Wally, Jimmy, Flash, Mary Jane...when will this cruel, unkind war on gingers end, it seems it rarely happens to blonds and brunettes in comparison.

Truly, this is a job for the Red-Headed League, to rise up and strike a just and righteous blow against this terrible oppression.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maguire was okay as Peter but not a very good Spider-Man.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Sentinel Red posted:

Patsy, Matt, Iris, Wally, Jimmy, Flash, Mary Jane...when will this cruel, unkind war on gingers end, it seems it rarely happens to blonds and brunettes in comparison.

Truly, this is a job for the Red-Headed League, to rise up and strike a just and righteous blow against this terrible oppression.

To be fair, they explicitly say in Jessica Jones that Patsy / Trish is still a redhead, but she dyed her hair blonde to get away from her identity and abusive childhood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

Aunt May being defined as Peter's uncommonly old looking aunt is far more an iconic element of the character than Mary-Jane's hairr. Her frequent health issues are an ongoing part of the character, especially early on in the comics. Her being the same age as Iron Man is in fact a significant departure for the character. If you're complaining about them changing 'iconic' elements of the character, the change to Aunt May from being Peter's old sickly aunt to being someone that Tony Stark thinks is hot is actually more of a change than hair color. You should be complaining about how much that ruins the iconic elements of the character because Peter stressing over his aunt's health is a fairly major part of early Spider-Man.

On the other hand, "high school Peter Parker fresh into his powers gets mentored by a Tony Stark bitter and broken by the costs of being a superhero who may or may not be dating Aunt May" sounds like a fine premise for a story, so why not?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I liked Skarsgard, but I am surprised to see people mourning Kat Dennings. I like her as a person, but her character in Thor had a couple of good lines but was mostly either inconsequential to the story or annoying.
I mostly just like her character for her attempts at saying "Mjolnir". She was pretty decent comic relief though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I mostly just like her character for her attempts at saying "Mjolnir". She was pretty decent comic relief though.
She wasn't in the movies a lot, true, as the other guys said, but I was hoping they were going to give her more to do as things went on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her character is an idiot, they kind of already didn't have a good reason for her to be in the 2nd one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, "high school Peter Parker fresh into his powers gets mentored by a Tony Stark bitter and broken by the costs of being a superhero who may or may not be dating Aunt May" sounds like a fine premise for a story, so why not?

Yeah, as I said, I'm not complaining about it. I think it's a fine change. I love the idea just for the potential interactions and the utter hilarity of Peter's potential responses to Tony Stark hitting on his aunt.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hadn't heard of her before this, what's the buzz about her?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, as I said, I'm not complaining about it. I think it's a fine change. I love the idea just for the potential interactions and the utter hilarity of Peter's potential responses to Tony Stark hitting on his aunt.

Even funnier if May reciprocates. Civil War stated that Pepper broke up with Tony...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Her character is an idiot, they kind of already didn't have a good reason for her to be in the 2nd one.
Booooooooo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

rantmo posted:

Patsy Walker is an iconic Marvel redhead clad in garish yellow and blue not a blonde radio host named Trish and not only did the world keep spinning properly but Jessica Jones was loving great. It turns out that everything is negotiable if the finished product is quality.

The fact that someone who was completely unrecognizable as Patsy Walker was "Trish Walker" for literally no reason outside of her name, as an inexplicable reference to a virtually unknown Marvel superhero, especially considering she shared zero personality traits with the comic book version, was one of the more annoying things about an otherwise mediocre season of television that was JJ season one.

Also, speaking as a Hellcat fan, she is absolutely in no way on zero level an iconic or memorable character. She's a barely C-tier superhero, at best.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

This is the worst news.

poo poo, I know the movie is called Ragnarok but I hope it has some levity in it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Zendaya is a Buddhist robot who can shoot orbs that heal allies or debuff enemies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's the typical Miley Cyrus/Vanessa Hudgens type (big Disney channel teen sitcom star transitioning to movies) with the added Miley Cyrus/Vanessa Hudgens type bonus of also being an at least pretty good singer. From my younger siblings who watch the shows she's on, she's apparently pretty good, likable and memorable in her onscreen roles.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Whizbang posted:

Zendaya is a Buddhist robot who can shoot orbs that heal allies or debuff enemies.

She also pulls off "redheaded party girl" pretty well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

otherwise mediocre season of television that was JJ season one.

Dude, stop doing this, every time someone posts about liking one of any number of things you take issue with you take it as an excuse to come in deliver some pithy line making GBS threads on it

I'm not just talking about JJ, but it doesn't help that you keep doing that with that show loving eternally in numerous threads

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 19, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hellcat is no tier. When they make a list, they forget to include her.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Well that pic basically sums up what Mary Jane should be so panic over.

Although If she was in the comic con footage, I heard a summary where Peter was talking to a girl, presumably Liz but people wouldnt mistake that if ahe had red hair

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zendaya is 19 so it's a little creepy to talk about her looks but she IS a very beautiful young woman. This is the first Mary Jane that looks like she could grow up and be a super model.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zendaya does not have red hair in the movie. She's been photographed on set and was in that SDCC footage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

Dude, stop doing this, every time someone posts about liking one of any number of things you take issue with you take it as an excuse to come in deliver some pithy line making GBS threads on it

It was a mediocre show, and one of the (many) reasons it was mediocre was because it randomly included someone completely unrecognizable as Patsy Walker and then called her Patsy "Trish" Walker for no reason. It's not like people who aren't comic fans saw "Trish" onscreen went "Oh gently caress, it's that minor superhero who married the literal Son of Satan in the seventies!" and everyone who actually knew who "Trish" was supposed to be were confused why this random blonde lady who didn't look or act anything like Patsy Walker was supposed to be a virtually unknown minor Marvel superhero. It was pointless, and giving her the name of Patsy Walker either created an expectation for the character that she didn't live up to (if you knew who she was) or was totally pointless and unnecessary (if you were one of the vast, vast majority of people who didn't). What was even weirder is that, metatextually, the show even recognized that, but instead of giving her a completely different name they half-stepped it with a nickname, so she inhabits this weird sorta-is-Patsy-Walker-but-not-really grey area that pleased nobody. In contrast, if they kept her character exactly the same and just gave her a different name - well, it wouldn't fix Trish's character or arc in JJ entirely, but it would do a hell of a lot more to clean slate it so she's graded on her own merits over a sort of, kind of reference to a comic book character nobody but hardcore fans know about.

To bring it back on topic, if they do the same thing with Zendaya's MJ (cast her in a totally different personality and give her a completely different character then how she's portrayed in the comics), except with a character people actually know and care about, they'll gently caress up the same way the JJ team hosed up with Patsy Walker. But I see no reason they'd ever do that and Sony/Marvel has given no indication that they would. Using Patsy Walker from JJ as "evidence" that you can give a comic book character a completely different personality, backstory, motivations, and even eliminating the fact that she was a superhero and the character would be successful is incorrect, because Patsy was arguably the weakest part of JJ in general.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2016

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Barry Allen is blonde in the comics but has brown hair in both the CW show and Justice League movie. Oliver Queen is also depicted as a natural brunette And let's not forget JL's Aquaman. End this wave of brunette-washing, Hollywood!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"It's okay for people to like things you don't"

*doubles down*

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

poo poo, I know the movie is called Ragnarok but I hope it has some levity in it.

it's directed by the guy who did What We Do in the Shadows and has Jeff Goldblum as the bad guy, I don't think you need to be worried

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zendaya is already the best, most accurate depiction of Mary Jane tbh

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

They'll die her hair red in the sequel anyway

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Zendaya is already the best, most accurate depiction of Mary Jane tbh
That mannequin she's holding on to just gets creepier every loop.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like when she looks at the camera for a split second. "Seriously I'm holding onto this?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they're playing to her strengths and they'll reveal it's a wig and she's doing a whole Hannah Montana thing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Spider-Mannequin, and the hyphen is important

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It was a mediocre show, and one of the (many) reasons it was mediocre was because it randomly included someone completely unrecognizable as Patsy Walker and then called her Patsy "Trish" Walker for no reason.

Every complaint you have is "I am a comic fan and unable to accept the idea that things are different from the comics." You care more about comic canon accuracy than acting, directing, themes, special effects, editing, or literally anything else except "it was like that in the comics." It doesn't even matter to you what comic it is from as long as it is from the comics. You also create easily disprovable bubbles like "nobody liked Patsy Walker because I said nobody liked Patsy Walker!" despite the fact that quite a lot of people who came into JJ without knowledge of the character ended up liking Patsy Walker because they liked her character instead of because they liked the comic she came from.

Mary-Jane in the new movie is going to be a different character. She has to be by default because the movie is not going to cover the plot arc that original Mary-Jane was part of. She is, at best, going to have similarities with Ultimate Spider-Man where Mary-Jane Watson is almost an entirely different character from her mainline version except being Spider-Man's love interest.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 19, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Make sure you stay until the end of the movie! After ten minutes of credits, we'll see Mary Jane in a CVS looking at packages of hair dye and her hands hover over a RED one!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Every complaint you have is "I am a comic fan and unable to accept the idea that things are different from the comics." You care more about comic canon accuracy than acting, directing, themes, special effects, editing, or literally anything else except "it was like that in the comics." It doesn't even matter to you what comic it is from as long as it is from the comics. You also create easily disprovable bubbles like "nobody liked Patsy Walker because I said nobody liked Patsy Walker!" despite the fact that quite a lot of people who came into JJ without knowledge of the character ended up liking Patsy Walker because they liked her character instead of because they liked the comic she came from.

Did you not read anything I wrote? I'll answer that question for you, you didn't. My whole point is that she was hurt by the association with the comics entirely. She would've been a better character if she was completely original over this weird half-measure of being sorta but not really associated with a comic book character. My entire point is that they should've forged their own canon and made their own character over utilizing the name of a Marvel comics character nobody knows anything about anyways. I still think she would've been a weaker element of JJ (especially considering her arc in JJ season one is "causes problems for JJ, has sex, and gets In Trouble" with very little variation) but at the very least, like I mentioned in that post you quoted but didn't read as you are wont to do, she would've arrived with a clean slate.

Also I've enumerated multiple times my issues with JJ, specifically the atrociously written dialog and poor plotting, but that's even further afield of the point. Someone else brought up how a completely different interpretation of a comic character could work, and I argued in that specific instance it didn't. If you want to talk about JJ's successes or failures as a televistic work, I'm more than happy to argue that, but it's not relevant here.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"She was hurt by the association... nobody knows anything about anyway."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toxxupation posted:

Did you not read anything I wrote? I'll answer that question for you, you didn't. My whole point is that she was hurt by the association with the comics entirely. She would've been a better character if she was completely original over this weird half-measure of being sorta but not really associated with a comic book character. My entire point is that they should've forged their own canon and made their own character over utilizing the name of a Marvel comics character nobody knows anything about anyways. I still think she would've been a weaker element of JJ (especially considering her arc in JJ season one is "causes problems for JJ, has sex, and gets In Trouble" with very little variation) but at the very least, like I mentioned in that post you quoted but didn't read as you are wont to do, she would've arrived with a clean slate.

Nobody but you cares.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

My whole point is that she was hurt by the association with the comics entirely.

The only people who were 'hurt by the association with the comics' are people upset the character isn't exactly what is on the page. So the small selection of comic fans who both are fans of Patsy Walker and unable to accept that an adaptation isn't direct.

Most people who watched JJ don't even know who Patsy Walker is and even those who did (like many of us in this thread) didn't find the character horrible because she wasn't like the comic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wish it was possible to adapt this thread into something completely different with no similarities to any of the people posting in it

• Locked thread