Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The point about allowing unicode made me recall this tangentially related hack: https://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Or this.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/202143/i-included-emoji-in-my-password-and-now-i-cant-log-in-to-my-account-on-yosemite

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TheFluff posted:

The point about allowing unicode made me recall this tangentially related hack: https://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Unicode in passwords has kind of the opposite problem. Say you wanted to use the character 'ñ' in your password. The problem is, there are two different 'ñ's: U+00F1 by itself (ñ), and a U+006E followed by a U+0303 (ñ). They're semantically identical, but they will produce totally different hash values. While that's an easy problem to solve, there are a ton of edge cases in Unicode that can make passwords fail to match up. For instance, there's a modifier character for certain emoji that lets you change the skin color. Some systems could strip out that character, resulting in an entirely different password. For the Web in particular, you have to rely on browsers and servers using consistent and correct implementations of Unicode, or your users could get locked out when their browser updates.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 19, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

Unicode in passwords has kind of the opposite problem. Say you wanted to use the character 'ñ' in your password. The problem is, there are two different 'ñ's: U+00F1 by itself (ñ), and a U+006E followed by a U+0303 (ñ). They're semantically identical, but they will produce totally different hash values. While that's an easy problem to solve, there are a ton of edge cases in Unicode that can make passwords fail to match up. For instance, there's a modifier character for certain emoji that lets you change the skin color. Some systems could strip out that character, resulting in an entirely different password. For the Web in particular, you have to rely on browsers and servers using consistent and correct implementations of Unicode, or your users could get locked out when their browser updates.

Interesting. I use characters like é in my passwords because of Quebec and speaking a minimally acceptable level of French, and I haven't run into this!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stories like this are amazing.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to see where NIST says password expiration is out (like it says in the Sophos blog) and I'm not finding it. The draft says that authenticators SHOULD expire (800-63b-6.2). Sophos blog also has a thing saying KBA is out, but the draft says it's acceptable for identify verification.

I think Sophos misinterpreted 'no expiration without reason,' although those words don't appear anywhere in the draft either so it's like whoever wrote the blog misunderstood someone who actually read the draft.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 19, 2016

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
i mean expiration with no reason is still dumb. encourages dumb things

love2016
love20161
love20162
love20163

at least with reason you can be like "you shouldn't use any part of your old password, because someone might have found it out!"

Daman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 19, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Any password complexity requirements from the last decade would stop something like that. I'd still recommend expiration on a corporate AD since the users are going to register accounts with their work email and use the same password, so force them to change your side so you're more likely to leak an old password that doesn't work any more. The one exception would be if you managed to implement 100% 2FA for anything externally accessible, then drop password expiration because who cares. If you're providing some kind of web service then password expiration is likely counterproductive, either get out of credentials entirely with facebook/openauth or only force password expiration when you know something bad happened. Let the users handle it at their own discretion from there.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I wasn't arguing for/against password expiration, just saying that NIST's draft doesn't seem to match what Sophos is saying in their summary. NIST says that using an expired authenticator should specify that expiration is the reason for failure, Sophos seems to have telephone-gamed that into "No expiration without reason" -> "Passwords don't need to expire."

Now, NIST does use the verbage SHOULD instead of SHALL, so maybe that's what they're referring to?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Regular expiration is still good because of PtH attacks imo

Even better if you use something like TPAM or CyberArk

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wyoak posted:

I wasn't arguing for/against password expiration, just saying that NIST's draft doesn't seem to match what Sophos is saying in their summary. NIST says that using an expired authenticator should specify that expiration is the reason for failure, Sophos seems to have telephone-gamed that into "No expiration without reason" -> "Passwords don't need to expire."

Now, NIST does use the verbage SHOULD instead of SHALL, so maybe that's what they're referring to?

If they use verbiage similar to RFCs then
SHALL = do this to be in spec
SHOULD = you don't have to do this, but we really recommend it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

If they use verbiage similar to RFCs then
SHALL = do this to be in spec
SHOULD = you don't have to do this, but we really recommend it.

Yeah if I hadn't already bored myself reading specs I'd track down the old version and compare the verbiage but meh

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

These are excellent rules.

correct horse battery staple was right

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Diceware FTW. Just pick a length that suits your particular application.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Linux actually any more secure in design than Windows? Is it more secure in practice just due to attacks targeting Windows having a higher return on investment? This is for personal use, not enterprise.

What Antivirus should I use on Fedora? :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'd argue that the highly modular design of Linux in general is better practice. That plus the open nature of the source code makes it easier to identify and address security issues.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Windows and Linux are no different in terms of how "secure" they are but certain things are approached differently in each.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is Linux actually any more secure in design than Windows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_operating_system_kernels#In-kernel_security

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
When comparing Linux with the NT kernel, I'd say Linux has a slight lead due to the LSMs and the monolithic architecture (less bad drivers, since there's less of a need for third-party drivers). Comparing Windows with OSs using Linux, I'd say Windows, primarily because Windows handles authorization based on what an application is trying to do, not what the application is. With Linux, you are either a user or an administrator, but you can run specific programs as an administrator even if you are a user. With Windows, you can hand out certain rights to users without giving them full administrative privileges in any application. Overall, though, they're fairly comparable, and it's more a matter of preference.

Unless you're talking about GUIs, in which case, all I'll say is stay the gently caress away from X.Org as root. It's trash and has been for a decade. Wayland can't come fast enough.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

dpbjinc posted:

With Linux, you are either a user or an administrator, but you can run specific programs as an administrator even if you are a user. With Windows, you can hand out certain rights to users without giving them full administrative privileges in any application.

this isn't true. Linux supports capabilities and MAC too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

When comparing Linux with the NT kernel, I'd say Linux has a slight lead due to the LSMs and the monolithic architecture (less bad drivers, since there's less of a need for third-party drivers). Comparing Windows with OSs using Linux, I'd say Windows, primarily because Windows handles authorization based on what an application is trying to do, not what the application is. With Linux, you are either a user or an administrator, but you can run specific programs as an administrator even if you are a user. With Windows, you can hand out certain rights to users without giving them full administrative privileges in any application. Overall, though, they're fairly comparable, and it's more a matter of preference.

Unless you're talking about GUIs, in which case, all I'll say is stay the gently caress away from X.Org as root. It's trash and has been for a decade. Wayland can't come fast enough.
This is so wrong it's anti-right at this point. SELinux does support contexts, that's how it's designed.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

This is so wrong it's anti-right at this point. SELinux does support contexts, that's how it's designed.

Then again, SELinux. Very capable apparently, also very complex. I remember few years ago I decided to give SELinux a go, and not just disable it like i usually do (this is my home computer, I don't manage computers at my work). It worked for almost 6 months. SELinux would tell me what it blocked and how to enable it if I want to. Until one day I hit a wall. If I remember correctly it was lighttpd related, but whatever SELinux was suggesting was simply not working. Many hours of googling later I simply gave up. I had a thing to do and gently caress SELinux. Went back and disabled it and did what I had to do. drat that thing.

They probably have books about it, but unless I would need to manage enterprise computers I wouldn't worry about it too much.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volguus posted:

Then again, SELinux. Very capable apparently, also very complex. I remember few years ago I decided to give SELinux a go, and not just disable it like i usually do (this is my home computer, I don't manage computers at my work). It worked for almost 6 months. SELinux would tell me what it blocked and how to enable it if I want to. Until one day I hit a wall. If I remember correctly it was lighttpd related, but whatever SELinux was suggesting was simply not working. Many hours of googling later I simply gave up. I had a thing to do and gently caress SELinux. Went back and disabled it and did what I had to do. drat that thing.

They probably have books about it, but unless I would need to manage enterprise computers I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Selinux is all about contexts, so you probably had a context set incorrectly.
99% of the time running: grep "denied" /var/log/audit/audit.log |audit2allow -M $NAME
will solve your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoVgDqqJmM

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 21, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Info sec people, let's have a show of hands.
Would you react badly if you conducted a P-o-C for a product and the vendor passed you data that had been completely scrubbed of any identifying detail? If not, would you react badly if the report covered criminal activity and the vendor asked you to pay for the detail?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oh you're saying that they did a PoC and gave you the results that show criminal behavior from their tool, but won't show you what the problem is unless they pay for it?

That's kinda hosed up, honestly. Nevermind showing management a win without even purchasing the tool and almost guaranteeing the purchase, now they want to withhold data that can prove the criminal activity actual took place and verify that the tool worked correctly.

gently caress em. Take the data they give you and do your own investigation into who did what.

Who is it? I'll put them on my vendor ignore list.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 22, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Mustache Ride posted:

Who is it? I'll put them on my vendor ignore list.

let me :yotj: first.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Info sec people, let's have a show of hands.
Would you react badly if you conducted a P-o-C for a product and the vendor passed you data that had been completely scrubbed of any identifying detail? If not, would you react badly if the report covered criminal activity and the vendor asked you to pay for the detail?

I'd react badly if the report contained no details even without it showing criminal activity if I had a vendor in to do a PoC.

I have them immediately remove their poo poo and start looking for another product (and hunt down said activity based on what was left in the report). I'd also let them know exactly why you're kicking them out.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone here work in Australia particularly in anything Government related? Have a few potential questions

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Whatsapp is sharing user data (phone numbers, hardware fingerprints, etc.) with Facebook.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whatsapp was bought by facebook 2? years ago now, you can't be surprised.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
It's as if a company wants to integrate a product they bought for billions into their own. The horror!

Also if you're using your fingerprint to unlock your phone, security is taking a backseat in your mind anyway.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think he was talking about hardware fingerprints like user agents and device metadata, not your actual fingerprint.

At least I hope he was, how the hell would whatsapp have access to your stored fingerprint info?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Mustache Ride posted:

I think he was talking about hardware fingerprints like user agents and device metadata, not your actual fingerprint.

At least I hope he was, how the hell would whatsapp have access to your stored fingerprint info?

The thing about WhatsApp is that the conversations are kept private but there is no expectation that the meta data is. I am not sure why ItBurns fails to grasp the difference between the two.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Back in the day the messages weren't even encrypted. They were stored in a plaintext database on the iPhone and relied solely on the iPhone's encryption to protect it (hah!). I haven't had to run a forensic case on an iPhone in a while, I wonder how much that has actually changed.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whatsapp was bought by facebook 2? years ago now, you can't be surprised.

Don't be obtuse. It's a relevant development and a significant reversal of their position (and a few poster's own positions) with regard to sharing identifying info with FB and by proxy advertisers and law enforcement where the (now) encrypted messages can be stored until/if an attack on the encryption is found.

OSI bean dip posted:

Also if you're using your fingerprint to unlock your phone, security is taking a backseat in your mind anyway.

You misread this, but I use the tip of my penis so the joke's on them!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Don't be obtuse. It's a relevant development and a significant reversal of their position (and a few poster's own positions) with regard to sharing identifying info with FB and by proxy advertisers and law enforcement where the (now) encrypted messages can be stored until/if an attack on the encryption is found.

I'm not being obtuse, you simpleton. I'm saying I'm not surprised, and you shouldn't be either.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Mustache Ride posted:

Back in the day the messages weren't even encrypted. They were stored in a plaintext database on the iPhone and relied solely on the iPhone's encryption to protect it (hah!). I haven't had to run a forensic case on an iPhone in a while, I wonder how much that has actually changed.

Realistically the important thing here is not what is being done with the data at rest but what is being done with the data in transit. If the data is not being encrypted in transport, then there is little need to go and try and get your hands on your target's device. However, if you got your hands on the target's device, then what's to stop them from doing things like extracting the data out of memory or if the device is already unlocked? The iPhone is an example of where this is a problem, but it hasn't stopped the FBI in the past if the circumstances are right (this is not the secure enclave stuff).

ItBurns posted:

What does it matter? You're using a third-party messaging application operated by a company that has a profit incentive. At the very least they encrypt the traffic going through their servers and there is no expectation that the meta data is obfuscated anyway.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

What does it matter? You're using a third-party messaging application operated by a company that has a profit incentive. At the very least they encrypt the traffic going through their servers and there is no expectation that the meta data is obfuscated anyway.

pr0zac posted:

Watching the traffic will also let you confirm WhatsApp isn't some how sending something out of band. Whatsapp is run almost completely separately from Facebook, they aren't on the same infrastructure or even the same campus (frankly they kinda hate FB and do everything in their power to remain separate). It should be pretty obvious to see if something is going to a Facebook server directly.

OSI bean dip posted:

I'd be careful about challenging pr0zac on this one here because he actually knows a thing or two more about WhatsApp than most here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Great so what does this have to do with infosec? Your privacy is a different subject entirely and you can go yell about it in D&D.