Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

So I'm looking pretty closely at this galaxy note 7 for my next device. According to the releases it has gorilla glass 5 and it says it can withstand a drop from 6 ft onto concrete without breaking 80% of the time. How does that translate to, say, 150 ft and falling into a grassy meadow, from a bird's talons?

I will say this - your dedication to your gimmick is second to none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ehud posted:

Quick follow up to this:

I am working on the batch file to uninstall a bunch of apps. Here is an example of the command I am using:

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.UNINSTALL_PACKAGE -d "package:com.gotv.nflgamecenter.us.lite"

The problem I'm running into is that the phone then displays a confirmation, "Are you sure you want to uninstall NFL Game Center?"

How would I answer that dialogue box automatically to confirm the uninstallation? Sorry, I realize this is basic. I have zero experience with any of this stuff, which made me the obvious choice for this project :haw:

Another update: Apparently uninstall_package doesn't actually disable the app. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ehud posted:

Another update: Apparently uninstall_package doesn't actually disable the app. I have no idea what I'm doing.

find the name of the app you want to block with:

adb shell pm list packages

(You can filter the results on windows by adding | findstr "TERM" or | grep "TERM" on linux / mac where you would replace TERM with the word you are looking for. This would look like:

adb shell pm list packages | findstr "inputmethod"

adb shell pm list packages | grep "inputmethod"

"Hide" the app with:

adb shell pm hide "packagename"

(where you would replace "packagename" with the name acquired in step 3)

Example:

adb shell pm hide com.sec.android.inputmethod

it shouldn't require any intervention on the phone

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Everything I've seen about Magenta looks like it's designed for embedded devices and is part of google's automation and device plans. Probably'll end up powering Chromecast dongle v3 and devices like that (at the moment they're running a heavily modified stripped down Android)
Yeah it's likely an IoT operating system.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duo will eventually be able to do voice calls.

So Duo will do video and voice calls. Allo will probably do IM and SMS (but not Google Voice...that'll probably stay on Hangouts...even if it DID use Voice SMS, you'd still need the voice app).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Have there been rumors of Allo doing IM? I thought the entire point of Duo and Allo was that they didn't require an account to use.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have there been rumors of Allo doing IM? I thought the entire point of Duo and Allo was that they didn't require an account to use.
WhatsApp doesn't require an account but is still IM. It just uses your phone number as the "account". Allo works like that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Am i dumb for considering a BLU R1 HD with offers + root instead of paying nearly twice as much to fix my Nexus 5?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So I'm confused with the Allo thing, since this is like Google's 5th messaging platform. Does it do regular SMS too, or do you have to use Messenger/Hangouts/OEM made app for that?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

Am i dumb for considering a BLU R1 HD with offers + root instead of paying nearly twice as much to fix my Nexus 5?

I've had bad experiences with blu but it has good reviews and they have the 30 day return policy so try it and see

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

You probably shouldn't do either. I certainly wouldn't pay to fix a Nexus 5 at this point, just sell as is and look for a new phone. But that new phone probably wouldn't be a Blu anything.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

I've had bad experiences with blu but it has good reviews and they have the 30 day return policy so try it and see

It's also $60 for a (slow) quad core with 2gb of ram. Unless i can find a cheap Nexus 6p or something, it might be worth a giggle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

So I'm looking pretty closely at this galaxy note 7 for my next device. According to the releases it has gorilla glass 5 and it says it can withstand a drop from 6 ft onto concrete without breaking 80% of the time. How does that translate to, say, 150 ft and falling into a grassy meadow, from a bird's talons?

probably fairly well since that'd probably be happening before someone needed an SD card slot and a removable battery for something that wasn't watching animes from a voyeur perch in the woods.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

For $60 it's a good phone. I used one for a few weeks just to see what it would be like to live with. I'd still be using it if it had a 5Ghz WiFi radio. The building I work in is metal and they turned off the 2.4 wifi and went to 5Ghz only. :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ehud posted:

Try adb uninstall packagename

I think what you're doing is basically triggering the normal uninstall procedure (by using an intent) which is why you see the dialog. Also it may not be possible to remove some things, I'm not sure, so you might have to try just hiding them like someone said up there

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was willing to switch to Allo as a data based messaging app, since that's what Hangouts does for me currently, but it's dead to me without a web interface.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd be happy to switch if it used Allo when both numbers had Allo and SMS when not. So it could just seamlessly replace messenger without me having to do anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'd be happy to switch if it used Allo when both numbers had Allo and SMS when not. So it could just seamlessly replace messenger without me having to do anything.

So if it was iMessage. Yeah, that's what everyone wants.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been thinking lately that it'd be pretty sweet if my phone was more mobile access to my computer instead of a Grindr machine. How viable/bad of an idea would it be to install a light distro like Arch and permanently use it for VNC?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I asked in the wear thread but didn't get a reply:

My Huawei watch connected to my Z5 via Bluetooth, obviously. Most mornings it goes nuts prompting me to allow them to pair again - is there some setting I'm missing that's causing them to time out their connection?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

I've been thinking lately that it'd be pretty sweet if my phone was more mobile access to my computer instead of a Grindr machine. How viable/bad of an idea would it be to install a light distro like Arch and permanently use it for VNC?

install arch on the phone? just use one of the VNC viewer apps in the play store

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

Which OS are you currently running? Chrome Remote Desktop is alright for simple tasks.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Does anybody know when the new Gear VR is released? It's hard to find any solid info online.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LastInLine posted:

So if it was iMessage. Yeah, that's what everyone wants.

And there has been no indication that it will do so. Spent a good 45 minutes googling to see if Allo supported SMS and every link was someone saying "it should!"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sms isn't a stupid gimmick so why would it support it, given the rest of its featureset outside of incognito mode

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is the good phone on Verizon? I have no idea how they work with their different names and branding. My wife is looking to replace her 2014 Moto X. I think she's just looking for something reasonably sized and that will last two years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wacky Delly posted:

And there has been no indication that it will do so. Spent a good 45 minutes googling to see if Allo supported SMS and every link was someone saying "it should!"

If you're just now coming around to the idea that maybe Google has no idea what users want with regards to messaging services, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

FogHelmut posted:

What is the good phone on Verizon? I have no idea how they work with their different names and branding. My wife is looking to replace her 2014 Moto X. I think she's just looking for something reasonably sized and that will last two years.

The only three devices I could imagine recommending are the HTC Ten, the Galaxy S7, and the forthcoming Nexus which isn't out yet but will be on and sold by Verizon. No date on that last one and your wife's opinion of "reasonably sized" was not taken into account.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are HTC as horrible about consistent updates as pretty much everyone who isn't literally Google?

My next phone will probably be a Nexus 6P unless this year's Nexus models really blow me away, but I always like to have options.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Duo seems to be doing quite well in the "popular and well-reviewed" arena.

This Allo/Duo poo poo is so irritating because I don't really care if I use Hangouts or use those two apps, but mobile-only is god drat unacceptable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

Are HTC as horrible about consistent updates as pretty much everyone who isn't literally Google?

My next phone will probably be a Nexus 6P unless this year's Nexus models really blow me away, but I always like to have options.

Getting a previous generation phone is never a great idea, even if it's the 6P.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Duo seems to be doing quite well in the "popular and well-reviewed" arena.

This Allo/Duo poo poo is so irritating because I don't really care if I use Hangouts or use those two apps, but mobile-only is god drat unacceptable.

I really don't understand this, the app is so simple and feature-lacking but is just another social interaction app in the sea of others. It doesn't do it particularly better than others can, except at being another Google communication app. How it's more popular than Pokemon Go is honestly beyond me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If you're just now coming around to the idea that maybe Google has no idea what users want with regards to messaging services, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The only three devices I could imagine recommending are the HTC Ten, the Galaxy S7, and the forthcoming Nexus which isn't out yet but will be on and sold by Verizon. No date on that last one and your wife's opinion of "reasonably sized" was not taken into account.

I don't want to get into this circlejerk but the closest you can get at "reasonable" is the smallest good phone available. Not a tablet or aircraft carrier flight deck posing as a phone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lblitzer posted:

I really don't understand this, the app is so simple and feature-lacking but is just another social interaction app in the sea of others. It doesn't do it particularly better than others can, except at being another Google communication app. How it's more popular than Pokemon Go is honestly beyond me.

Faster installation rate. It was just released to massive hype, so of course it is going to light up the boards when everyone installs it.

I like it. Does one thing reasonably well with no additional setup or fuckery. This thread, and Reddit, seems to demand a million features, then gets pissy when they don't work exactly like what they envisioned.

I use this thread as my example as to why we shouldn't exclusively do what our customers think they want at work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Getting a previous generation phone is never a great idea, even if it's the 6P.

My wallet disagrees.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

My wallet disagrees.

The difference in price is the cost of the lost year of support.

FogHelmut posted:

I don't want to get into this circlejerk but the closest you can get at "reasonable" is the smallest good phone available. Not a tablet or aircraft carrier flight deck posing as a phone.

I understand but what is reasonable to one isn't reasonable to another so I'm saying have her look at the devices in person and decide if they're reasonable to her.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

My wallet disagrees.

Sure, but getting the current gen phone, then selling it a year out for the next current gen phone, means my wallet impact is actually pretty drat light.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Note 7 came yesterday, so far so good.

Stupid case doesn't arrive until Monday, so lets hope I don't drop this drat thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sure, but getting the current gen phone, then selling it a year out for the next current gen phone, means my wallet impact is actually pretty drat light.

So, it might seem like a lot of money to spend now but you might be able to get most of that back if you sell it again a year later? Then immediately buy a new phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

I got mine yesterday and yes it's pretty drat amazing. For laughs I like to setup nexus 6 camera next to it and take the same picture. It's night and day difference