Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chemtrail posted:

2-4 years depending on the next election dates and subsequent rise of right wing dominated governments in many parts of Europe.

Even the Right Wing guys popping up won't touch Habits, most of their power comes from Catholic/Protestant members. Which is why the Burqa ban is so obviously a xenophobic move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

They "literally" did not. Workers would have lost their jobs anyway, either through firing or having their employers go bankrupt. I really can't think of anyone that thinks that the way to maintain high employment rates is by telling employers they can't fire workers. The reason these laws are implemented is to make conditions better for workers, not to improve overall employment levels.

Yeah that's just totally wrong. Looking at the most relevant example, Spain's infamous 2012 labour market reform, the goal was to create a more flexible labour market in the hopes that employers would hire more people. This was done by, most importantly, making it easier and cheaper to lay off workers and to increase the possiblity of collective dismissals for economic reasons (i.e. by businesses in trouble), but also by allowing employers to deviate from collective bargaining agreements and to reduce the possibility of them being extended. The government did this in the hopes of driving wages down to increase competitiveness and achieve the much-desired internal devaluation that would increase employment levels, since now it would no no longer be such a risk for firms to hire workers on permanent contracts. The evidence of the effects on overall employment levels is mixed at best (see here and here for some analysis), but the law has done basically nothing at all to reduce segmentation in the Spanish labour market and only increased precarity for workers, so that by now it is not uncommon for Spanish workers to have labour contracts that last only a few hours. It's absolutely a supply-side law and the fact that unemployment rates in Spain have decreased most likely has more to do with Mario Draghi than with Mariano Rajoy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Separate thread if you guys want to keep discussing Burqas please.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Yeah that's just totally wrong. Looking at the most relevant example, Spain's infamous 2012 labour market reform, the goal was to create a more flexible labour market in the hopes that employers would hire more people. This was done by, most importantly, making it easier and cheaper to lay off workers and to increase the possiblity of collective dismissals for economic reasons (i.e. by businesses in trouble), but also by allowing employers to deviate from collective bargaining agreements and to reduce the possibility of them being extended. The government did this in the hopes of driving wages down to increase competitiveness and achieve the much-desired internal devaluation that would increase employment levels, since now it would no no longer be such a risk for firms to hire workers on permanent contracts. The evidence of the effects on overall employment levels is mixed at best (see here and here for some analysis), but the law has done basically nothing at all to reduce segmentation in the Spanish labour market and only increased precarity for workers, so that by now it is not uncommon for Spanish workers to have labour contracts that last only a few hours. It's absolutely a supply-side law and the fact that unemployment rates in Spain have decreased most likely has more to do with Mario Draghi than with Mariano Rajoy.

Now you've changed the (your?) argument from "it increased unemployment" to "it didn't decrease unemployment". Which is still wrong, but a definite improvement.

But I'm curious, what economic mechanism do YOU think is actually at play here?
1) Government changes law to make it easier to fire people.
2) Workers now have more 0-hours contracts, are easier to lay off if their job is no longer economically viable.
So who gains? If the law wasn't in place, what would companies be doing instead? And how sustainable do you think that solution is?

Tesseraction posted:

Simple aversion to fiscal stimulus and a desire to obtain state resources on the cheap by starving the coffers.

If you're asking for the purpose of the legal reforms then of course it was to sort out the aforementioned inefficiency, corruption, etc. but the fiscal policy need not have created that and Greece instead gets to spend years upon years of starvation, joblessness and humiliation.

Do you have any actual numbers for starvation in Greece, or are you going to quote a Guardian article again? I'm just remembering the "HIV epidemic" that you guys felt was going on in Greece, where it turned out that in real terms the number of new infections was smaller than the number that followed the introduction of Craigslist's casual encounters in cities across the US.

And Greece ran a budget deficit of 15% the year before asking for a bailout, how much more of a stimulus do you need? And what stage would you have started cutting back? And how do you not see the connection between legal reforms intended to improvement efficiency (such as improving tax collection, cut back on government waste) and budget discipline?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Now you've changed the (your?) argument from "it increased unemployment" to "it didn't decrease unemployment". Which is still wrong, but a definite improvement.

No, I'm addressing your argument that "The reason these laws are implemented is to make conditions better for workers, not to improve overall employment levels." I don't think the 2012 labour reform increased unemployment, except possibly in the short term, since more firms would have wanted to fire people in the context of 2012 Spain than would be willing to hire new workers. It's probably too soon to talk about the long term effects but the increase in precarity means that unemployment levels are likely to explode again as fast as in 2008-9 if a new crisis hits.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

2) Workers now have more 0-hours contracts, are easier to lay off if their job is no longer economically viable.
So who gains? If the law wasn't in place, what would companies be doing instead? And how sustainable do you think that solution is?

Who knows? There is no good counterfactual. Given that Draghi ended the Spanish sovereign debt crisis and the EU bailed out the Spanish banks, it's entirely possible that unemployment would have gone down in the absence of the law. Other than that, there really are no solutions to the problems of the Spanish labour market that would not cause Spain to violate the Stability Pact yet again (it would require large investments in the modernization of the education system, in particular vocational education, and in the public employment services. Increasing unemployment benefits and reintroducing rent benefits to make Spanish workers more mobile within Spain would help too).

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Workers are easier to fire regardless of the economic viability of their job. Economic viability does not enter the discussion. And do you really need to ask who gains? Are you that stupid?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It just baffles me that people continue to believe that if you simply throw enough money at an economy it will suddenly start to perform at peak levels. What gives you this conviction? All of the southern countries enjoyed a huge influx of cash prior to the crisis and it did not make them more efficient but rather glutted the arteries of their economy and made them depend on more cheap cash.

Sure, you could fight the symptoms of the crisis by finding fresh sources of money, but that's not a solution.

What needs to happen in these countries is a national consensus that they lived beyond their means and have now go back to the standard of living they actually can support with their productivity.

Friendly Humour posted:

Workers are easier to fire regardless of the economic viability of their job. Economic viability does not enter the discussion. And do you really need to ask who gains? Are you that stupid?

If a worker is economically viable there is no need to fire him. if he is not, the only solution is to fire him. I really don't see the problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Do you have any actual numbers for starvation in Greece, or are you going to quote a Guardian article again? I'm just remembering the "HIV epidemic" that you guys felt was going on in Greece, where it turned out that in real terms the number of new infections was smaller than the number that followed the introduction of Craigslist's casual encounters in cities across the US.

And Greece ran a budget deficit of 15% the year before asking for a bailout, how much more of a stimulus do you need? And what stage would you have started cutting back? And how do you not see the connection between legal reforms intended to improvement efficiency (such as improving tax collection, cut back on government waste) and budget discipline?

For the first bit: try talking to the loving Greek people. There is no academic study as yet since too many other turds are hitting the fan.

As to the second, please explain how leaving the economy on life support instead of investing is going to magically make the country prosperous. Telling a homeless person to 'spend less money' does nothing to make them a millionaire.

GaussianCopula posted:

It just baffles me that people continue to believe that if you simply throw enough money at an economy it will suddenly start to perform at peak levels. What gives you this conviction?

We're not, but clearly the 'starve them of money until they explode with productivity' is working about as well as an inflatable dartboard, so you'll have to forgive us for calling you an idiot.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

We're not, but clearly the 'starve them of money until they explode with productivity' is working about as well as an inflatable dartboard, so you'll have to forgive us for calling you an idiot.

Given that none of these countries has an actual balanced budget I have a very hard time seeing how they are getting starved. Rather it makes me think of an obese person who is told "buddy, you might want to reduce your diet to 2000kcal per day", who than still eats 2500kcal per day and complains he is starving.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

If a worker is economically viable there is no need to fire him. if he is not, the only solution is to fire him. I really don't see the problem.

Of course there are. Are really this cretinous or do you just pretend to be for the sake of aggravation? Bosses make arbitrary decisions regarding their workers all the time, it's why we have employment laws. Or rather, we used to have.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The gently caress is still defending auterity on tyool 2016? When the imf and the eu publish reports going "yeah we kinda hosed up,sorry" on the bailout programs what else there is to say? The only thing that stopped the Death spiral we were in was QE which is basically throwing Money intro the economy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

It just baffles me that people continue to believe that if you simply throw enough money at an economy it will suddenly start to perform at peak levels. What gives you this conviction? All of the southern countries enjoyed a huge influx of cash prior to the crisis and it did not make them more efficient but rather glutted the arteries of their economy and made them depend on more cheap cash.

Sure, you could fight the symptoms of the crisis by finding fresh sources of money, but that's not a solution.

What needs to happen in these countries is a national consensus that they lived beyond their means and have now go back to the standard of living they actually can support with their productivity.

Hard to know where to start. "Economically viable" is a strange term. Corporations do not care about the economy as a whole, only whether a worker turns a profit *for them* in the immediate now. So for example if a company makes a lot of profit pushing really hard with a lot of workers for 4 months in order to get product out before their competition, and then lay off all their workers because now the market is saturated, they are fine with that. But that is a dismal situation for workers, and for the economy as a whole; workers without stable incomes have a hard time maintaining mortgages and creating families. But in an economy with high unemployment, there are enough people looking for work that corporations can easily get away with this, since a given unemployed worker would rather have some money than none. The opposite applies in an economy/economic sectors with low unemployment; a worker who can pick and choose will either refuse the short job in favor of a steady long term job, or demand such high wages for the short job that they can budget out the rest of the year.

Another expression of this is 'flex hours' - corporations demand retail workers stay on call, unable to even get another job, to scrabble and fight with other employees for a tiny number of daily hours.

Furthermore, you don't seem to understand the fundamental insight of Keynesian economics - that a demand-side economic crisis is an unnecessary systemic paralysis. You have a lot of workers sitting around doing *nothing*. Putting them to work, even on suboptimal activities, will always improve an economy because *some* production is always better than *no* production. There is not actually a shortage of money, even. There are huge reserves of capital sitting around doing nothing because the investors see no viable economic activities to invest in. Lower demand leads to corporations rationally reducing production. Less wages leads to less consumption. Less consumption leads to lower demand. It is a death spiral. Government deficit spending through the issuance of bonds gives this idle capital something to do - even small returns are better than no returns. The proof of this is easily at hand; enormous amounts of government spending that caused no inflation whatsoever because demand for bonds was so high.

Edit: It should be noted that a normal economic situation does NOT benefit from deficit spending; without the reserve of untapped potential (idle workers & idle capital), deficit spending results directly in inflation.

GaussianCopula posted:

Given that none of these countries has an actual balanced budget I have a very hard time seeing how they are getting starved. Rather it makes me think of an obese person who is told "buddy, you might want to reduce your diet to 2000kcal per day", who than still eats 2500kcal per day and complains he is starving.
Spain had a budget surplus before the 2008 crisis. Their problems are not the result of fiscal profligacy.

A diet analogy makes no sense whatsoever in an economic contest. What exactly is the obese person eating? Who is providing it? It serves to obscure, not clarify.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 18, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

Speaking of ideology though, it's funny how the neoliberals in this thread are so blinded by their ideology that they're incapable of admitting any fault in the disasterous economic policies of the past decade.

I think most neoliberals here admit, that Greece's faults led to a disastrous economical situation and that it might take long years of wise European counsel and tutelage to help them find the path for sustainable growth.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't know it seems like Greece had some good ideas to fix themselves until they got ratfucked.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Plus it's not who's fault it is, it's neoliberal thought being a convenient fiction for greedy assholes and not working.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Spain had a budget surplus before the 2008 crisis. Their problems are not the result of fiscal profligacy.

A diet analogy makes no sense whatsoever in an economic contest. What exactly is the obese person eating? Who is providing it? It serves to obscure, not clarify.

Nope, their problem was an over-reliance on a construction sector that was built on a credit bubble. The only difference is that it was private not public credit that allowed them to live beyond their means.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm impressed by GC's ability to ignore arguments.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Nope, their problem was an over-reliance on a construction sector that was built on a credit bubble. The only difference is that it was private not public credit that allowed them to live beyond their means.

:lol:, so they're almost every modern nation in the wake of financial deregulation then.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

Hmmm....

GaussianCopula posted:

And your policy recommendation for this is...what? As far as I can tell, your position to be seems to be that economic consequences are the results of moral failings; thus, the countries in trouble deserve to be in trouble because they're in trouble.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

And your policy recommendation for this is...what? As far as I can tell, your position to be seems to be that economic consequences are the results of moral failings; thus, the countries in trouble deserve to be in trouble because they're in trouble.

He was pretty clear really. Reduce the standard of living, presumably by slashing all forms of public spending.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

If a worker is economically viable there is no need to fire him.

The definition of "economically viable" is the problem.

Suppose you've got a factory in place A that gives you 1% profit: for every 100 money unit you spend in it (all included -- wages, taxes, raw materials, maintenance, R&D, equipment upgrades, etc.) you get back 101 money unit. Is it viable? Let's suppose you say yes. Now you've got a factory in place B that gives you 2% profit. Is factory A still viable? But there's factory C with 5% profit. And you're told that if you open a factory in place D it'll do 10% profit. Are factories A, B, and C still viable?

The actual answer from real world experience is that no, they're not. Europe is full of abandoned factories that were closed despite turning a profit, because they turned less of a profit than outsourcing to Chinese or Bangladeshi subcontractors did. (Then ten year later the subcontractors stop subcontracting and emerge as competitors, and the European company that used them is hosed because it has lost all of its know-how and cannot resume in-house production even if it wanted to. But that's what happens when you're looking for economic viability...)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The definition of "economically viable" is the problem.

Suppose you've got a factory in place A that gives you 1% profit: for every 100 money unit you spend in it (all included -- wages, taxes, raw materials, maintenance, R&D, equipment upgrades, etc.) you get back 101 money unit. Is it viable? Let's suppose you say yes. Now you've got a factory in place B that gives you 2% profit. Is factory A still viable? But there's factory C with 5% profit. And you're told that if you open a factory in place D it'll do 10% profit. Are factories A, B, and C still viable?

The actual answer from real world experience is that no, they're not. Europe is full of abandoned factories that were closed despite turning a profit, because they turned less of a profit than outsourcing to Chinese or Bangladeshi subcontractors did. (Then ten year later the subcontractors stop subcontracting and emerge as competitors, and the European company that used them is hosed because it has lost all of its know-how and cannot resume in-house production even if it wanted to. But that's what happens when you're looking for economic viability...)

If I only can run 1 factory (which seems to be a condition in your example) then the inclusion of opportunity costs would make all factories but D (depending on the risk on that 10% return, but let's assume that the 10% are guaranteed or as likely as the continued profits from A-C) unprofitable. But that does not mean that my competitors will not produce the stuff that was could have been produced in A-C.

Moreover the reason for a lot of those abandoned factories are incentives by the different public entities (local, state, federal, EU) to built the plan right there. If you would not have those, there would be far less abandoned factories.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Other than that, there really are no solutions to the problems of the Spanish labour market that would not cause Spain to violate the Stability Pact yet again (it would require large investments in the modernization of the education system, in particular vocational education, and in the public employment services. Increasing unemployment benefits and reintroducing rent benefits to make Spanish workers more mobile within Spain would help too).
Hey, I am interested in this, can you give me more details about what you think is to be done with the Spanish education system? Thanks in advance :)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Moreover the reason for a lot of those abandoned factories are incentives by the different public entities (local, state, federal, EU) to built the plan right there. If you would not have those, there would be far less abandoned factories.

That's not how subsidies work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

That's not how subsidies work.

Yes it is? Governments offer incentives to investors for putting money into areas designated by their development priority policies, generally. Sometimes it means the investor will put down a factory they would otherwise not consider due to high levels of risk.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Yes it is? Governments offer incentives to investors for putting money into areas designated by their development priority policies, generally. Sometimes it means the investor will put down a factory they would otherwise not consider due to high levels of risk.

Yeah, but GC said that abandoned factories are a result of 'public incentives'. Or at least I think that's what he's saying? It's hard to tell with his terrible spelling and grammar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

Yeah, but GC said that abandoned factories are a result of 'public incentives'. Or at least I think that's what he's saying? It's hard to tell with his terrible spelling and grammar.

Yeah, the logic is that because investors have much lower set-up costs under public incentives, their projects have a higher than average failure / abandonment rate. There certainly have been cases of very poorly thought out incentive policies that have lead to industrial parks littered with derelict plants, though it obviously doesn't mean incentives are totally wrong 100% time, they just tend to be disastrous in hands of incompetent governments that seek short-term employment boosts in pivotal constituencies.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

While that may be true,governments are at most half of the equation there.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the logic is that because investors have much lower set-up costs under public incentives, their projects have a higher than average failure / abandonment rate. There certainly have been cases of very poorly thought out incentive policies that have lead to industrial parks littered with derelict plants, though it obviously doesn't mean incentives are totally wrong 100% time, they just tend to be disastrous in hands of incompetent governments that seek short-term employment boosts in pivotal constituencies.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's too bad the people who made the decision get to keep on going and just move to another cushy high paid executive job rather than take the responsibility they were supposedly paid mad cash for and commit honorable suicide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nobody's disputing that, but governments are the only part of the equation with public accountability, like it or not.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Sure but a private individual or business is free to built and abandon as many factories as he wants with it's own money or the money of people who invest in him.

But to come back to my original point, if it's is so easy to fix an economy (throw money at the education system) why did Greece and other countries not do THAT with the money they got before the crisis and why are you sure that things changed that we now can be sure they will do that?

As I see it, the current Greek government, if it were granted more money, would not invest it in new, highly qualified teachers with a performance based compensation system, but would rather spend that money on their clients in the public sector while going back to seniority based pay as they.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Hard to know where to start. "Economically viable" is a strange term. Corporations do not care about the economy as a whole, only whether a worker turns a profit *for them* in the immediate now. So for example if a company makes a lot of profit pushing really hard with a lot of workers for 4 months in order to get product out before their competition, and then lay off all their workers because now the market is saturated, they are fine with that. But that is a dismal situation for workers, and for the economy as a whole; workers without stable incomes have a hard time maintaining mortgages and creating families. But in an economy with high unemployment, there are enough people looking for work that corporations can easily get away with this, since a given unemployed worker would rather have some money than none. The opposite applies in an economy/economic sectors with low unemployment; a worker who can pick and choose will either refuse the short job in favor of a steady long term job, or demand such high wages for the short job that they can budget out the rest of the year.

Another expression of this is 'flex hours' - corporations demand retail workers stay on call, unable to even get another job, to scrabble and fight with other employees for a tiny number of daily hours.

Furthermore, you don't seem to understand the fundamental insight of Keynesian economics - that a demand-side economic crisis is an unnecessary systemic paralysis. You have a lot of workers sitting around doing *nothing*. Putting them to work, even on suboptimal activities, will always improve an economy because *some* production is always better than *no* production. There is not actually a shortage of money, even. There are huge reserves of capital sitting around doing nothing because the investors see no viable economic activities to invest in. Lower demand leads to corporations rationally reducing production. Less wages leads to less consumption. Less consumption leads to lower demand. It is a death spiral. Government deficit spending through the issuance of bonds gives this idle capital something to do - even small returns are better than no returns. The proof of this is easily at hand; enormous amounts of government spending that caused no inflation whatsoever because demand for bonds was so high.

Edit: It should be noted that a normal economic situation does NOT benefit from deficit spending; without the reserve of untapped potential (idle workers & idle capital), deficit spending results directly in inflation.

Regarding companies and their employees; several companies actually do invest in their workers and works hard to retain them in economic slumps as you lose essential competence if they leave, competence that takes time to acquire and whose loss would be detrimental for the company when you get out of the slump. It naturally depends on the type of job though, with low skill laborers naturally being more easily replaced than specialists. I also read that small to medium sized family owned companies are more prone to worker retention during economic slumps, presumably as they care less about short term profits and more about the long term success of the family firm.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

Hey, I am interested in this, can you give me more details about what you think is to be done with the Spanish education system? Thanks in advance :)

I'm going to have to correct myself and state that more spending on education is not necessarily the answer, or rather not the whole answer (The research I'm doing is focused on youth employment policy, to which education is only tangentially relevant, so I am in no way an expert on education). Also sometimes probblems in education are a symptom of the problems of the Spanish economy rather than the cause.

Some issues that I've come across are:
- The most important for youths is the high rate of early school leaving, that is teens dropping out without a diploma. Now that the construction bubble is gone, dropping out is essentially a death sentence for your employment prospects. This was also a large contribution to the increase in unemployment after 2008: many young people left school prematurely to get well-paying jobs in construction, lost them when the bubble popped, and have essentially no prospects other than day labour now. Early school leaving rates are still among the highest in Europe. The problem is particularly large for immigrant children. There are programmes in place to correct this, but they suffer from insufficient funding (early school leaving has fallen, but that's at least in part because there are fewer jobs to be had as an alternative to education. So the incentive to drop out is reduced). It's also the job of the public employment services to find people who've dropped out, who usually are NEETs now, to help them get some sort of certification or credentials; unfortunately, budgets for these kinds of active labour market programmes have been cut in the last few years so there's less money available for these programs and EU subsidies, of which Spain is getting a lot, are not enough to make up the difference

- The results from the PISA comparison (here (in .pdf)) show that a large share of Spain's below-average results in secondary education is due to socio-economic disparites. Also, schools lack autonomy, and there's insufficient incentive for teachers to perform well, since this usually doesn't lead to more pay or more opportunities for professional development. Rajoy's government cut pay in 2012 and it has remained flat since then. Teachers as a result have a low morale in comparison to the OECD average.

- Vocational education system: the common complaint is that despite attempts to turn it into a 'dual' system as in Germany, it is not well-connected to the needs of employers and to local labour market needs. Also, not enough people actually take the vocational education track (for what I understand because it has lower social status).

- Maybe not directly an education system problem, but given that prospects for university graduates are so bad, students appear to prefer doing college programs that give general degrees that, to employers, confer no specifically observable skills, i.e. economics, law, psychology, political science and the like. These kinds of degrees are fine in a booming economy but a poor choice in a dip when unemployed college graduates are a dime a dozen. So higher education is not well-aligned with the labour market and graduates as a result end up in jobs below their educational attainment level (which in turns puts people with less education out of a job).

GaussianCopula posted:

But to come back to my original point, if it's is so easy to fix an economy (throw money at the education system)

Sod off with your strawman arguments.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

if it's is so easy to fix an economy (throw money at the education system) why did Greece and other countries not do THAT with the money they got before the crisis

Because idiots like you were in charge.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I found this great Spitting Images 1987 remake of Tomorrow belongs to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIAna459sg

Can a sufficiently old British goon explain the characters and background in this? I wonder how relevant it is today.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

No, I'm addressing your argument that "The reason these laws are implemented is to make conditions better for workers, not to improve overall employment levels." I don't think the 2012 labour reform increased unemployment, except possibly in the short term, since more firms would have wanted to fire people in the context of 2012 Spain than would be willing to hire new workers. It's probably too soon to talk about the long term effects but the increase in precarity means that unemployment levels are likely to explode again as fast as in 2008-9 if a new crisis hits.
It's like you understand the theory behind why these laws lower unemployment but you're just too stubborn to accept it. As for unemployment "exploding" in the future, these laws don't act as a stabilizer, they act as a break. Yes more people will lose their jobs in bad times, but without flexible labor markets many of them won't have a job during good times either.

quote:

Who knows? There is no good counterfactual. Given that Draghi ended the Spanish sovereign debt crisis and the EU bailed out the Spanish banks, it's entirely possible that unemployment would have gone down in the absence of the law. Other than that, there really are no solutions to the problems of the Spanish labour market that would not cause Spain to violate the Stability Pact yet again (it would require large investments in the modernization of the education system, in particular vocational education, and in the public employment services. Increasing unemployment benefits and reintroducing rent benefits to make Spanish workers more mobile within Spain would help too).
There's no counter-factual but there are plenty of studies using natural experiments to look at ease of firing (and some reg y x panel data stuff as well).

As for "no solutions", you're making it seem like the situation in Spain is not improving, even though GDP is growing again and unemployment is down 6 percentage points. Yes it's slow but clearly something is happening. I really don't know about optimal investment in education or higher unemployment benefits (obviously it makes sense to invest, but whether it makes sense to invest x amount now is different), this was about job security related legislation which is zero investment policy that trades off decreased unemployment with worker preferences for security.

Tesseraction posted:

Because idiots like you were in charge.

Reminder that SYRIZA led Greece is still prosecuting the former head of ELSTAT for aligning Greek debt figures with European standards.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I actually corrected your diction, not your grammar, although your grammar is comically broken half the time.

That's nice dear but Friendly Humour was talking about the fact that refugees by and large loving hate Daesh. I additionally mentioned the economic migrants because I'm talking about people I've interacted with in real life. I know the concept of socialising is alien to you but some of us do it, and because I live in a utopia of high diversity (or a cesspool of miscegenation as you'd call it) I encounter a lot of the fabled Muslim, none of whom I've found supports Daesh. This isn't to say some of them don't have questionable views on Israel, but even the most openly racist ones has not shown any allegiance to terror groups and considers them un-Islamic.

Because people like you come out with dumb poo poo and I find it funny to mock you. If I felt you had the mental capacity to be convinced that Muslims aren't the most imminent threat to the west I'd be more charitable to your views. Hell, in my lovely shithole of a country you're far more likely to die homeless than in a terror attack.

Muslims aren't an imminent threat, no, but what happens in the future when the birth rates for muslims are 8 and 2 for the indigenous people in Europe? People don't seem to consider what will happen in the future. It's simple math. But apparently we shouldn't care about our own people and just welcome all this "diversity" because we're good people. So good in fact, that we'll be minorities in our own countries after some time. And the majority then will be muslims, and you can take a look what goes on in muslim majority countries, like Saudi Arabia. This is what Europe will get after 50% of our population is muslim. Who the gently caress wants that? Because unless something is done, it will be inevitable. Simple loving math. Expect civil wars in the decades to come, because this is unsustainable. Muslims don't integrate to their host countries and their way of life, they build their own communities. And when they reach the majority, it will be the indigenous population that will get hosed big time. But most people don't seem to really grasp this. Some really educated people don't seem to. It's simple loving math. This is what worries me.

Stockholm Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 19, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Muslims aren't an imminent threat, no, but what happens in the future when the birth rates for muslims are 8 and 2 for the indigenous people in Europe? People don't seem to consider what will happen in the future. It's simple math. But apparently we shouldn't care about our own people and just welcome all this "diversity" because we're good people. So good in fact, that we'll be minorities in our own countries after some time. And the majority then will be muslims, and you can take a look what goes on in muslim majority countries, like Saudi Arabia. This is what Europe will get after 50% of our population is muslim. Who the gently caress wants that? Because unless something is done, it will be inevitable. Simple loving math.

Please tell me this is a joke post and you are not that pathetically racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Please tell me this is a joke post and you are not that pathetically racist.

Tell me how am I racist when I point out that the muslim population will grow 4x faster than the indigenous population? How is that racist? I'm just projecting into the future what will most likely happen. If Europe reaches muslim majority, it won't end well. For anybody. You're an idiot for using the racist card instantly. I'm not a racist, just don't want my country to turn into a middle eastern hell hole. But apparently in 2016, that makes you a racist. gently caress you. Just try to understand the numbers for a moment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)