Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Hobo By Design posted:

In Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (Integral in Europe, where it was a rerelease of MGS) there's a mission where the solution is putting C4 on a guard's back to explode an otherwise inaccessible thing. It's super sneaky. There's also a mission that involves equipping a wig, which got incorporated into MGS2.

Goddammit, that's how you get through that level? I gotta dig out my ps1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so the new deus ex game has a permadeath difficulty and the name is fantastic

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo, people are getting retail copies already? Time to go pester the poo poo out of my local indie store.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The Iron Rose posted:

so the new deus ex game has a permadeath difficulty and the name is fantastic

But we diiiiiiiiiiiiid :unsmigghh:

After Tuesday, I suspect this thread will be nothing but Deus Ex for a couple weeks.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

theshim posted:

But we diiiiiiiiiiiiid :unsmigghh:

After Tuesday, I suspect this thread will be nothing but Deus Ex for a couple weeks.

It's coming out on TUESDAY? gently caress.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Reviews look good enough right now that I might be comfortable with this as a release buy. I feel like the way the marketing had gone, it seemed like a definite "wait a few months for this all to blow over" title to me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

From reading the Giant Bomb review it sounds like all the 'Mechanical Apartheid' and 'Aug Lives Matter' crap is just marketing bullshit and not actually in the game. Which is a relief.

The game sounds like nothing ground breaking, just a better Human Revolution. I can live with that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Veotax posted:

From reading the Giant Bomb review it sounds like all the 'Mechanical Apartheid' and 'Aug Lives Matter' crap is just marketing bullshit and not actually in the game. Which is a relief.

The game sounds like nothing ground breaking, just a better Human Revolution. I can live with that.

So they caved to the whiny crybabies?

What a shame, another gutless game company.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Veotax posted:

Human Revolution is one of the very few games I've ever played through twice. If this game is even 1/4th as good I will be very pleased.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I imagine that stuff was never in the game and made up for the marketing.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moosecow333 posted:

Human Revolution is one of the very few games I've ever played through twice. If this game is even 1/4th as good I will be very pleased.
Have you played the original Deus Ex yet?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Veotax posted:

It was in concept art, but like most game controversies the bickering was louder and more easily seen than the actual content.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Alteisen posted:

What a shame, another gutless game company.

nice meltdown

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Just watched the trailer for the new Deus Ex on Steam. Maybe I've been playing too much Overwatch, but I could have sworn there was a moment where one of his Interpol teammates called him Hanzo and he responded by calling the guy McCree.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't watched that trailer, but I think 'hanzer' was slang for an augmented person in the first game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was even a thinly-veiled take of Twilight in HR, but with Hanzers. I wonder pop-culture references will make it into MD.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ohhh, I get it. Hanzer, as in enhanced, as in augmented. I didn't understand what that phrase meant besides that it was derogatory towards augs (deraugatory?) until now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently this is from MD, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

I guess I could see Sega OKing it, they're pretty self aware these days.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'd play the poo poo out of Knuckles Knuckles Knuckles and Knuckles on my shiny new Soloto

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Veotax posted:

Apparently this is from MD, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

I guess I could see Sega OKing it, they're pretty self aware these days.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/766748512545415168

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Stuntman posted:

Have you played the original Deus Ex yet?

It's on my list of games to play, but I don't have nearly as much time as I did back in College.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Veotax posted:

I don't believe that for a second, the director in particular defended the mechanical apartheid thing pretty vigorously when it first came to light a few years ago and they got a hell of a lot of black for the aug lives matter thing to..

Its funny cause the same companies that want games to try to mirror political things a little are the same ones that complain the loudest when a company does try to do it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

It's on my list of games to play, but I don't have nearly as much time as I did back in College.

There aren't like a whole load of games I'd say go back and check that out because stuff ages in really harsh ways and in some respects Deus Ex the original is loving old but you should go back and check that poo poo out because its actually a great loving game. Its like a half life 1 level milestone in gaming but better. Sorry about the first level or so but yeah. It would be 5 dollars and about 20 odd hours very well spent.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's understandable concerns that video game writers don't have the chops to really do justice to real world issues. That said, we won't see any improvement in that area without people trying it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

There's understandable concerns that video game writers don't have the chops to really do justice to real world issues. That said, we won't see any improvement in that area without people trying it.

To me its a little infuriating when they don't to be honest. To follow on from my last post characters in Deus Ex stated their political stance pretty clearly. You could take the attitude that they were right on or loving stupid and that was on you but they were pretty earnest in where they were coming from. It wasn't like a rockstar like everything is irony dodge. My most recent annoyance with this was watch_dogs when they had a hacker wizard man who dresses like an anarchist involved in the most generic revenge quest ever. It was aggravating, like we don't have to agree with him or we can but its like ubisoft were terrified we would disagree with any distinctive viewpoint. Like if you gently caress up this stuff its alright, at least you tried. Its way less offensive than we didn't because we have total contempt for the audience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I don't believe that for a second, the director in particular defended the mechanical apartheid thing pretty vigorously when it first came to light a few years ago and they got a hell of a lot of black for the aug lives matter thing to..

Its funny cause the same companies that want games to try to mirror political things a little are the same ones that complain the loudest when a company does try to do it.

Oh wow you actually were serious.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Aphrodite posted:

I had to do this as well and I was already sure Alteisen was loathsome

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

they got a hell of a lot of black for the aug lives matter thing to..

Is this a typo?

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Games are basically the worst format available to discuss serious issues and they probably always will be. At its current best it's essentially a mockery unintentional or not.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trainmonk posted:

Games are basically the worst format available to discuss serious issues and they probably always will be. At its current best it's essentially a mockery unintentional or not.

I mean it will be until someone with balls makes a half-way decent product. Then the triple A product that cribs ideas poorly will be the stand-out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

timp posted:

Is this a typo?

Yes.

quote:

Why wouldn't I be? Do you want games to at least attempt to mimic some real life situations or do you want your shootymans press button, boss is dead via metal balls I fired from my torso, can't have it both ways.

Story telling wise gaming is still in its infancy but they could make the attempt, problem is companies always catch poo poo from offended retards, at this point we'll just keep getting the same tired old stuff if every single time someone tries the perpetually offended brigade sounds the horns.

quote:

I had to do this as well and I was already sure Alteisen was loathsome

Gonna lose so sleep over this, you don't even know. :qq:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

Gonna lose so sleep over this, you don't even know. :qq:

you will

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Trainmonk posted:

I think the only bad part about this on its own is that Deus Ex is literally the worst game to do this with.

Games as a medium are already kinda not built to handle big, serious and complex issues due to the desire for a resolution; it'll either be offensively easy to resolve or really unsatisfying. But Deus Ex is even worse for it, since it's a setting where every single problem is explicitly the fault of the one guy at the top and nobody else. That's not just an offensive interpretation, it's potentially dangerous in this case.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
What I want to know is how many actual marginalized people are interested in games taking stances for them and how many are just regular white guys seeking a sophisticated storyline involving real world issues. I think that, ironically with deus ex, "we didn't ask for this" is a common feeling among people those issues actually involve.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
One of the guys pushing mechanical apartheid was a black dude getting accused of "internalized privilege" which was pretty loving funny, regardless of how you felt towards the actual subject.

Personally I want games to explore this stuff even if they do keep stumbling and loving it up initially. As long as a piece of media isn't trying to be intentionally derogatory and offensive I don't think it's asking too much it at least tries to say something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

I think the only bad part about this on its own is that Deus Ex is literally the worst game to do this with.

Games as a medium are already kinda not built to handle big, serious and complex issues due to the desire for a resolution; it'll either be offensively easy to resolve or really unsatisfying. But Deus Ex is even worse for it, since it's a setting where every single problem is explicitly the fault of the one guy at the top and nobody else. That's not just an offensive interpretation, it's potentially dangerous in this case.

hmmm yes i wonder what parallels can be drawn between a powerful elite keeping those below them oppressed, and the real world

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I can draw parallels between a steep and icy slope with a giant pile of garbage at the bottom and the direction this thread's been heading.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My favorite minigame on somethingawful dot com is finding a thread without politicocultural bullshit.

It's a tough one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

hmmm yes i wonder what parallels can be drawn between a powerful elite keeping those below them oppressed, and the real world

Deus Ex's "powerful elite" is literally the illuminati archetype trope played entirely straight, so I dunno if it's the best platform for its writers to draw that parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm excited to play the deus ex game when it comes out, and also see how badly square will try to cock it up, and also how much further alteisen will try to ruin the thread in the middle of the Little Things people are going to post