Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cute and unintrusive. I appreciate that there's not a lot of really neat stuff behind Amiibos because I honestly kinda hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
I suppose, I don't know. I wouldn't have wanted bonus levels necessarily, but something a little more than "existing ability with a paintjob" would have been neat.

Anywho, John's taking a swing at the Arena, let's drop in on him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4V13Jp_iiU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Mixing things up a bit before we depart from Planet Robobot... let's get the team together for a little Team Kirby Clash! It's a four-player mini-adventure that has you squaring off against a handful of incredibly powerful bosses. Really neat stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68HJfu_jK68 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQThkhZ0OZ0

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Landia's from Return to Dreamland, not 3d. The final boss from 3d shows up in the True Arena.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

All I really know about the recent games (outside the start of Return to Dreamland) is that there's a shitload of "-ia"s floating around, most of whom are bosses / final bosses.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to see you cheese those earlier bosses with all the level-ups you got since then.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

We eventually will, but I think we're going to make that part of the "reunion tour" later on in The Dreamy Let's Play.

As for right NOW... let's show John a thing or two about how to kick rear end in the Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEmqBvPWQw

And now, I'm off to write the intro script for the next... game? This'll be weird.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

are you doing the SNES version and the DS remake as separate games?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Super Star? Yeah, we'll be playing them separately.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah Super Star. Is that... not the next game after block ball?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It... is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lUWZZmaXQ

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The "Mario 2 snake" looking enemy is Elieel, he showed up in one level of Dreamland 2, a Dreamland 3 minigame, and this game. And literally nowhere else.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh wow, that totally is that guy! Sharp eye, I definitely remembered seeing it in Dream Land 2, but I always associate him more with Super Mario Bros. 2 even if, yes, it is a different-looking sprite.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So my assumption about Hoshi Kuzushi just being another Block Ball (which would be hilarious in its own right, since that game was brand new when Omochabako was being transmitted) was incorrect. While it was refreshing to get a new game, it's just... kinda... booooooring...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTYTdmwX9Lg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man if I was a kid I sure would be hype as gently caress about Superstar right about now!!

What'll they think of next? Kirby Scrabble? Kirby Backgammon?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, I have no idea how Satellaview worked. Did users need a paid subscription? Did they pay per game?

And most relevant: did they pay money for this set of minigames?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Man if I was a kid I sure would be hype as gently caress about Superstar right about now!!

What'll they think of next? Kirby Scrabble? Kirby Backgammon?

It's such a baffling move, Super Star came out less than a month later, so Japanese kids were getting a bunch of decidedly non-Kirby minigames (admittedly similar to earlier titles like Pinball Land, Dream Course, and Block Ball) to hype them up for a platforming minigame collection. Strange choice.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, I have no idea how Satellaview worked. Did users need a paid subscription? Did they pay per game?

And most relevant: did they pay money for this set of minigames?

So it looks like it you bought a physical attachment for 14-18k yen, then bought a "BS tuner" (hilarious) for another 33k yen if you weren't a subscriber to St.GIGA satellite radio, then paid some unspecified monthly subscription rate.

Pretty goddamn expensive to play half-baked Kirby parlor games and wobbly Zelda remakes.

It seems you bought a subscription that gave you access to every broadcast game, though I'm not 100% on that. You only got a few games a week too, and then they were gone forever.

Speaking of digging a ditch for the Satellaview, let's close out this Toy Box experiment with some baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymY-5lTdGsE

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It sounds like you've got some audio desync happening or the game is just really out of sync with it's own animations.

Also there were a lot of games including, apparently, chrono trigger DLC, though I have no idea how you were to actually implement it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

It sounds like you've got some audio desync happening or the game is just really out of sync with it's own animations.

Right you are. That's really bizarre, I didn't get any of those desyncs while editing... We did have to use a weird setup for recording though (the same setup we're using for Super Adventure Rockman and the next Sonic game starting tonight), so I'll have to keep a closer eye on it, thanks for the heads up!

Kurieg posted:

Also there were a lot of games including, apparently, chrono trigger DLC, though I have no idea how you were to actually implement it.

Yeah, the Satellaview is an unusually huge part of the Super Famicom's life cycle that just never got any sort of Western attention, it's really bizarre that there's such a large discrepancy between the two. I'm curious if anyone's figured out how to set up a mock-broadcast outside heavily over-programmed ROMs yet?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ricdesi posted:

Right you are. That's really bizarre, I didn't get any of those desyncs while editing... We did have to use a weird setup for recording though (the same setup we're using for Super Adventure Rockman and the next Sonic game starting tonight), so I'll have to keep a closer eye on it, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, the Satellaview is an unusually huge part of the Super Famicom's life cycle that just never got any sort of Western attention, it's really bizarre that there's such a large discrepancy between the two. I'm curious if anyone's figured out how to set up a mock-broadcast outside heavily over-programmed ROMs yet?

I remember there being a LP of a Zelda Satellaview game and each episode was on a different ROM that somehow could save share.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

KKKLIP ART posted:

I remember there being a LP of a Zelda Satellaview game and each episode was on a different ROM that somehow could save share.

Oooh, interesting... I'll have to give that a look, that could be a neat thing to mess around with...

As for Kirby, I am super sorry about all the delays, guys. My laptop's having some pretty severe overheating problems, which has knocked me off my rhythm something fierce (makes it a hell of a lot harder to edit en masse, that's for sure). BUT, that's behind us now! And as such, the uploads continue with one of my all-time favorite games, the iconic Kirby Super Star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh5oDF4Auw

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One thing I really like about the theater tutorial is that "Here's Kirby! He's a jolly fellow!" and Kirby has like a "dude, seriously?" expression on his face.
It also teaches you to block iirc which is legit handy for poo poo like Fatty Whale

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Seems to be our bad luck that John "Just Start the Game Already" Selig always has his hands on the controller when we start a new minigame... I do love that bit too, I totally forgot it was there :[

As for the next bits up, let's take a look at the first completely original game in the pack, Dyna Blade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwL6dqZx2Wk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1QM5IMKK8

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Some catastrophic laptop problems might be slowing me down this week, but we can at least catch back up in here.

Let's check out the minigames: Gourmet Race, Megaton Punch, and Samurai Kirby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93QCdfagS0I

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Psst, you forgot to show off the secret areas in Dyna Blade. I know they aren't that interesting but COMPLETIONISM.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ricdesi posted:

Some catastrophic laptop problems might be slowing me down this week, but we can at least catch back up in here.

Let's check out the minigames: Gourmet Race, Megaton Punch, and Samurai Kirby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93QCdfagS0I

I've been meaning to ask: why is there a delay between you uploading a video and you linking it here? That video went up four days ago, and you've released at least one video since.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Psst, you forgot to show off the secret areas in Dyna Blade. I know they aren't that interesting but COMPLETIONISM.

We sure did :( Someone asked that in the comments too, the answer I gave them was that... well, they're basically just the Museum areas from Kirby's Adventure, there's not much to them (and as far as I know they don't impact your 100% score, either).

FredMSloniker posted:

I've been meaning to ask: why is there a delay between you uploading a video and you linking it here? That video went up four days ago, and you've released at least one video since.

If I'm late with them, 99% of the time it's because I got swamped at work and then forgot by the time I got home (shame on me, for sure). To avoid spamming the poo poo out of the board, or leaving awkward holes in the series themselves, this was the solution I went with. Helpful now with all the computer issues, to be honest :\

Speaking of which, let's at least pull up yesterday's (most recent) video. I may be able to edit again, so hopefully I'll have another one up tonight or tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjGJilttwQ

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Luck appears to be on our side (for the time being), so here's a new episode of Super Star! (Here's hoping it lasts...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV21d6mtkfQ

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you're wanting to post updates at work there is a Something Awful app for IOS/Android. It's called Awful.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been watching your entire series from the start and I just got to the Star Dream finale and felt like I had to post. You guys are doing something some of us could only dream of (ha) with playing an entire series. Kirby's probably one of my favorite franchises ever, probably only slightly behind Pokemon. Planet Robobot was such a treat, especially for fans of Super Star, and really who isn't one? I really wish I could've been there with you guys to share in all the jokes and laughs, and to provide insight on some weird things.

But I have to say, I feel both vindicated by your playthrough of Pinball Land and betrayed by your playthrough of Block Ball. Pinball Land was something I got on the cheap a long time ago on my 3DS Virtual Console, and when I played through it I quickly realized it was basically a quarter-muncher without being a quarter-muncher. Watching you guys take more time on Pinball Land than Kirby's Adventure was really crazy, but at least the commentary was entertaining all the way through. However, Block Ball is probably one of my favorite Kirby spinoffs, and the negativity surrounding it while you played it was kind of off-putting to me. I find the entire game charming, the music really catchy, and as a kid and even today I love abusing the Needle power to see how high I can rack up those points. You guys seemed to dismiss it so casually since it's just another spinoff, but Kirby spinoffs (except for Pinball Land and... I dunno is Tilt n' Tumble any good? Never played it) have usually been on point. That's something I really wish I could've been there for. But live and let live, you'll probably come back to it on your "hard mode" sweep of all the games to play that 11th stage, I imagine.

I'm looking forward to reaching Super Star proper. I can beat that game in an afternoon, I know it that well. And just so you know, the secret areas in Dyna-Blade DO count towards 100%. Those, the Great Cave Offensive Treasures, and the Deluxe Copy abilites in Milky-Way Wishes are all the main missables. And man, thinking back, I remember really being intimidated by The Arena back in the day, but nowadays I can ace it with no more than one or two tomatoes spent. It just goes to show that they really feel like they need to add a True Arena to every future Kirby game since Super Star Ultra now.

I went on for way too long; as you can see, I'm very passionate about the series. Keep it up! I'm very prepared for you guys to get to weirder entries like Canvas Curse, Air Ride (an EXCELLENT game), Amazing Mirror... basically it's all uphill from here. Oh, Dream Land 3 will be really great too, that's one of the games I feel like I'm an apologist for.

By the way, you should update your first post with new game playlists.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it unlocking or visiting the secret areas in Dynablade that counts? Because they did the former.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just unlocking them should be good enough? I don't think one had to beat all the minigames in Adventure to get 100% there, for instance. (Gourmet Race notwithstanding here since it's technically a main mode and you have to play it once to complete the game.)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

If you're wanting to post updates at work there is a Something Awful app for IOS/Android. It's called Awful.

Oh, nice! I'll definitely have to check that out, thanks for the heads up!

Alxprit posted:

I've been watching your entire series from the start and I just got to the Star Dream finale and felt like I had to post. You guys are doing something some of us could only dream of (ha) with playing an entire series. Kirby's probably one of my favorite franchises ever, probably only slightly behind Pokemon. Planet Robobot was such a treat, especially for fans of Super Star, and really who isn't one? I really wish I could've been there with you guys to share in all the jokes and laughs, and to provide insight on some weird things.

Well, we do try to keep up with comments as best we can, and a lot of the time we'll benefit from that little nudge looking forward. It's been a real treat so far doing this for Kirby -- honestly, it's the most straight-up enjoyable franchise play we've done so far (while Zelda required a lot more focus, and Mega Man's been a struggle through a lot greater variance in quality) and it was something we sort of started on a whim just because we knew we'd have a great time with it.

Alxprit posted:

Pinball Land was something I got on the cheap a long time ago on my 3DS Virtual Console, and when I played through it I quickly realized it was basically a quarter-muncher without being a quarter-muncher. Watching you guys take more time on Pinball Land than Kirby's Adventure was really crazy, but at least the commentary was entertaining all the way through. However, Block Ball is probably one of my favorite Kirby spinoffs, and the negativity surrounding it while you played it was kind of off-putting to me.

Ultimately, I think the team experience with Pinball Land is what wound up pushing us to keep Block Ball from falling into the same category. It was definitely a tough choice that I wasn't super thrilled with, but I had the sinking feeling it we stretched it out, I would be playing the game with a smaller and smaller team as it went on.

Alxprit posted:

I dunno is Tilt n' Tumble any good? Never played it

Surprisingly, it's actually quite addictive! It's a shame no other game used that technology.

Alxprit posted:

But live and let live, you'll probably come back to it on your "hard mode" sweep of all the games to play that 11th stage, I imagine.

That's the current plan, yeah. It fits well with all the other Hard Mode stuff, so we'll probably push through the 10 stages again for those high scores to fight Dedede!

Alxprit posted:

I'm looking forward to reaching Super Star proper. I can beat that game in an afternoon, I know it that well. And just so you know, the secret areas in Dyna-Blade DO count towards 100%. Those, the Great Cave Offensive Treasures, and the Deluxe Copy abilites in Milky-Way Wishes are all the main missables. And man, thinking back, I remember really being intimidated by The Arena back in the day, but nowadays I can ace it with no more than one or two tomatoes spent. It just goes to show that they really feel like they need to add a True Arena to every future Kirby game since Super Star Ultra now.

I do love the variability in Super Star, and it's nice to finally get into the real meat of the game (the "core" of the game always feels like The Great Cave Offensive, Revenge of Meta Knight, and Milky Way Wishes). Definitely 100%ing the Treasures and Abilities, and if it turns out that visiting the Dyna Blade secret areas counts towards the 100%, we'll swing by and pick those up too.

Alxprit posted:

I went on for way too long; as you can see, I'm very passionate about the series. Keep it up! I'm very prepared for you guys to get to weirder entries like Canvas Curse, Air Ride (an EXCELLENT game), Amazing Mirror... basically it's all uphill from here. Oh, Dream Land 3 will be really great too, that's one of the games I feel like I'm an apologist for.

That's what I'm looking forward to the most, so many of these games I've never played before! Mostly the stuff from 2003 on, I've played very few of those. I do adore Dream Land 3, so that should be a great time!

Alxprit posted:

By the way, you should update your first post with new game playlists.

Oh god, how did I miss that? D: Fixed!

And now, without further ado, yesterday's Super Star videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9zXst7MWRg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNQybt8Sb0

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Surprisingly, it's actually quite addictive! It's a shame no other game used that technology.

Sort of?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There is also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarioWare:_Twisted! but yeah

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I forgot about the Warioware game, "Yoshi's Universal Gravitation" Just stuck with me because it's an amazing name.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh wow, never heard of that Yoshi game before -- I actually own WarioWare: Twisted! and was trying to remember if it was the same/updated tech, ha.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It looks like they might use different accelerometers but they definitely use different programming, since the Kirby game doesn't account for an inverted cartridge position, but the other two do (Yoshi through a menu, Wario automatically)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

That's kinda neat, getting to see the progression of the tech across those three games. I suppose now that we've got gyros and motion sensors in everything, that sort of gameplay has become sort of assumed in a lot of scenarios, but it's such a microcosm in game development that it might be neat to explore the short life of gyroscopic gaming before the Wii.

I'd say it's about time to finish clearing out the great cave, can you dig it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Vw-4GQRRw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQhMfqNLYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm caught up for real now! Nice job 100%ing the cave. The Shiny Bamboo always gave me trouble but I didn't really think of the inhale in mid-air method. Wing can destroy that block if you use a turbo Y button, but that's emulator talk mostly.

• Locked thread