Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I wish it was possible to adapt this thread into something completely different with no similarities to any of the people posting in it

That's real easy to do for your own personal frame of reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I wish it was possible to adapt this thread into something completely different with no similarities to any of the people posting in it

There's already alternate adaptations of this thread. On SA even.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

There's already alternate adaptations of this thread. On SA even.

Yeah but the one in cineD blows since the Zack Snyder reboot

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah but the one in cineD blows since the Zack Snyder reboot

Certainly not for everyone.

just wait until the Director's cut comes out though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

CD is right over there!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Certainly not for everyone.

just wait until the Director's cut comes out though.

I don't think I can deal with that thread being even longer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think I can deal with that thread being even longer

300 more pages expanding upon the ambiguity in whether or not comic movies will end capitalism. How can you say no?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

It was a mediocre show, and one of the (many) reasons it was mediocre was because it randomly included someone completely unrecognizable as Patsy Walker and then called her Patsy "Trish" Walker for no reason. It's not like people who aren't comic fans saw "Trish" onscreen went "Oh gently caress, it's that minor superhero who married the literal Son of Satan in the seventies!" and everyone who actually knew who "Trish" was supposed to be were confused why this random blonde lady who didn't look or act anything like Patsy Walker was supposed to be a virtually unknown minor Marvel superhero. It was pointless, and giving her the name of Patsy Walker either created an expectation for the character that she didn't live up to (if you knew who she was) or was totally pointless and unnecessary (if you were one of the vast, vast majority of people who didn't). What was even weirder is that, metatextually, the show even recognized that, but instead of giving her a completely different name they half-stepped it with a nickname, so she inhabits this weird sorta-is-Patsy-Walker-but-not-really grey area that pleased nobody. In contrast, if they kept her character exactly the same and just gave her a different name - well, it wouldn't fix Trish's character or arc in JJ entirely, but it would do a hell of a lot more to clean slate it so she's graded on her own merits over a sort of, kind of reference to a comic book character nobody but hardcore fans know about.
:goonsay:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Make sure you stay until the end of the movie! After ten minutes of credits, we'll see Mary Jane in a CVS looking at packages of hair dye and her hands hover over a RED one!

That would rule.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm really glad I stayed out of this one, but I'm also perplexed it's not over yet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, have we even had any actual confirmation that Zendaya is playing MJ, or we all :derp:ing over nothing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, have we even had any actual confirmation that Zendaya is playing MJ, or we all :derp:ing over nothing?

It was just that article I posted. Though other sites are reporting the same thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm all for Zendaya being Mary Jane. The people upset over this are probably the same kind of people who were upset that Gal Gadot was too skinny and doesn't have blue eyes or a bigger bust. Did the same people get all weirded out when Will Smith was cast as Deadshot? Or when it was officially announced that Kiersey Clemons is going to be Iris West?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
So, Henry Cavill's been photographed filming Justice League in the traditional blue Superman costume, with a spit-curl.

And Cyborg is gonna show up in The Flash film.

Let's talk about that instead. :)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

teagone posted:

I'm all for Zendaya being Mary Jane. The people upset over this are probably the same kind of people who were upset that Gal Gadot was too skinny and doesn't have blue eyes or a bigger bust. Did the same people get all weirded out when Will Smith was cast as Deadshot? Or when it was officially announced that Kiersey Clemons is going to be Iris West?

Jesus christ dude let it go

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Dan Slott is on Twitter slaying in the name of this girl. I am really pulling for her to make the most of this. Looking at that redhead shot, she's definitely hot enough for the role.

The argument of how much diversion from canon is acceptable doesn't actually have a resolution. It's arbitrary.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Grasping at straws, but I wanna believe that the suit means Superman will actually have a role in Justice League Part 1, not just a glorified cameo at the end.

Also, I'm pretending that Cyborg in The Flash film means they've figured out how to space introductions and cameos better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus christ dude let it go

Did you think I was singling you out or something? I was just making a general comparison that had a lot of fanfare. :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dario the Wop posted:

So, Henry Cavill's been photographed filming Justice League in the traditional blue Superman costume, with a spit-curl.

Aw. That's cute.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dario the Wop posted:

This was confirmed to be taken on the set of BvS, not Justice League.http://geektyrant.com/news/superman-dons-the-classic-look-in-picture-from-justice-league-set

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Or maybe he's not!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-flash-director-doesnt-agree-that-cyborgs-going-to-b-1785443430

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Did you think I was singling you out or something? I was just making a general comparison that had a lot of fanfare. :confused:

No, you're just doing that thing again where everything is about wonder woman

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

No, you're just doing that thing again where everything is about wonder woman

Well, I am a WW fan :haw: But why is that a problem? It's not like what I mentioned wasn't a topical/relative issue similar to Zendaya potentially being cast as Mary Jane. Sorry for triggering you by bringing up the controversy surrounding Gal's casting into comparison here.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Okay since there isn't a ton of comic movie news and we need SOMETHING to get us out of the last two or three pages of bad faith pointless arguing Purge night posting: Overwatch

Yeah it's a videogame but it also has a series of comics and it definitely wears its comic book inspirations on its sleeve as the whole premise is basically a superhero team objective game. Since the game itself is multiplayer and not story driven, the lore and narrative is done through comics and little one-off mini movies that are surprisingly high quality and fun. They have a very Pixar/Incredibles feel. Here are all of them.

Overwatch Theatrical Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIwGKDwnWY

Overwatch Cinematic Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

Recall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB5zlHMsM7k

Alive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U130wnpi-C0

Dragons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ09xdxzIJQ

Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRRupAM4DI

The Last Bastion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg

I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see Blizzard develop this property into something more than an arena shooter timesink. I don't know if they're itching to do another movie after how badly World of Warcraft farted, but who knows. I could easily see them going for an animated series.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you like them? Hate them? Complete ambivalence? I dunno man I just can't deal with three more pages of people arguing over the definition of fuckboy or whether actors dying their hair is racist or what the precise hot/old ratio of Aunt may needs to be.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 19, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would watch an overwatch movie if they got someone else to make it other than blizzard.
Basically keep chris metzen as far away as possible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if they're itching to do another movie after how badly World of Warcraft farted, but who knows.

Bad reviews aside, didn't the Warcraft movie do really well financially?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hair Color chat is done in this thread. If you post about Hair Color in this thread again you're done as well. Also if you whine about a character being a different race from the comic you're done as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see Blizzard develop this property into something more than an arena shooter timesink. I don't know if they're itching to do another movie after how badly World of Warcraft farted, but who knows. I could easily see them going for an animated series.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you like them? Hate them? Complete ambivalence? I dunno man I just can't deal with three more pages of people arguing over the definition of fuckboy or whether actors dying their hair is racist or the what precise hot/old ratio Aunt may needs to be.

The major flaw I see with Overwatch is frankly that the 'lore' is a mess because it is salvaged from the remains of an MMO and bolted to a shooter so there's no real cohesion there.The characters and plot make no sense with the backstory and any characterization given to them through dialogue basically is nonsense.

The latest Bastion short REALLY highlights that because they do an Iron Giant "death robot learns to love nature and reject violence" thing except... in-game he is defined as being a super-effective killing machine who turns into a turret and tank and murders people as a for-money mercenary.

They'd either need to buckle down and make real lore/characterization/whatever or they'd just have this weird mess of a FPS with a completely contradictory story bolted onto it that they can't synergize well with.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

I would watch an overwatch movie if they got someone else to make it other than blizzard.
Basically keep chris metzen as far away as possible.

Seriously. That guy is such a doofus and he has no idea. Soldier 76 is the much better (and still pretty dorky) reworking of a terrible comic book idea he had from when he was a teenager.

mycot posted:

Oh snap, did it? I guess I just assumed. Who is our numbers guy again, there's a poster who does really good breakdowns of how movies are performing and I can't remember who it is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay since there isn't a ton of comic movie news and we need SOMETHING to get us out of the last two or three pages of bad faith pointless arguing Purge night posting: Overwatch

I'm a big Overwatch nerd, and love everything about the game and the lore. Relevant to this thread's interests, there's a series of OW comic shorts that are pretty great: http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/ana-old-soldiers and they're even better in motion comic form: http://madefirestudios.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=%2F&q=overwatch

There's also an OW graphic novel coming out (digitally) this upcoming November. As for an OW movie? Maybe. I'd prefer them to make a deal with Netflix or something and put together an animated miniseries instead.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The major flaw I see with Overwatch is frankly that the 'lore' is a mess because it is salvaged from the remains of an MMO and bolted to a shooter so there's no real cohesion there.The characters and plot make no sense with the backstory and any characterization given to them through dialogue basically is nonsense.

The latest Bastion short REALLY highlights that because they do an Iron Giant "death robot learns to love nature and reject violence" thing except... in-game he is defined as being a super-effective killing machine who turns into a turret and tank and murders people as a for-money mercenary.

They'd either need to buckle down and make real lore/characterization/whatever or they'd just have this weird mess of a FPS with a completely contradictory story bolted onto it that they can't synergize well with.

You're not wrong, though I tend to look at the game as sort of being like Smash Bros. It's taking all your action figures and bashing them together in your lego town and on top of your Ninja Turtles bus. I think I've even heard someone say the game is the thing that's non-canonical, which is pretty funny.

Plus, it's not like comics have the greatest history of building relationships and histories that make any sense or work with each other at all. It's why they keep having a multiverse collapse event every decade or so.

It would be nice if they tried to hash the world out into making more sense though, yeah.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

In China.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
No joke it's easier to write fanfiction this way when the lore/characterization is so half-assed and has giant holes in it.

There's another numbers guy on this forum, but for # of fanfictions written, and Overwatch's are insane despite most of the characters not interacting meaningfully in any way.

Hey that's how we're getting Pacific Rim 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think I've even heard someone say the game is the thing that's non-canonical, which is pretty funny.

I've heard something similar. It's a video game that exists within the Overwatch universe based on the heroes currently running around the universe.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think I've even heard someone say the game is the thing that's non-canonical, which is pretty funny.

This is the correct answer. It's an arena shooter with respawning and multiple copies of one-of-a-kind heroes on each team. The plot of the lore would be really dumb if they had to account for the fact that sometimes zenyatta and bastion work together to commit genocide on all mexican robots. I know TF2 worked all that poo poo into the plot, but it had a really stupid plot as a result.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

You're not wrong, though I tend to look at the game as sort of being like Smash Bros. It's taking all your action figures and bashing them together in your lego town and on top of your Ninja Turtles bus. I think I've even heard someone say the game is the thing that's non-canonical, which is pretty funny.

Plus, it's not like comics have the greatest history of building relationships and histories that make any sense or work with each other at all. It's why they keep having a multiverse collapse event every decade or so.

It would be nice if they tried to hash the world out into making more sense though, yeah.

Well, in addition, I think it runs into a lot of weird tone problems. They don't really stand out in the game itself but On one end of the scale you have D.Va and Mei and Lucio and on the other hand you've got Soldier 76 and Reaper. The Justice League has proven you can absolutely make different tones work together but it requires a bit of effort that I'm not sure Blizzard can pull off.

I think the backstory ("Evil robots attack, every nation develops their own superpowered arsenal to compensate") is probably the most interesting bit of the whole thing but also is apparently relentlessly grim and would really need a deft touch to handle well.

That said I think the characters are the strongest point of Overwatch but part of that is that they're just cheerful and divorced from consequences and reality so they can be silly and fun instead of trying to make sense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

That was me! I learned that from reading the musings of someone who attended the Overwatch SDCC panel. The devs straight up said the game is not canon in the OW universe and is instead basically what you described.

quote:

I've kept up with the lore through a masterpost on tumblr (yeah, yeah) that is continually updated: http://starcunning.tumblr.com/post/144518806494/overwatch-lore-masterpost. It is the most comprehensive collection of every bit of media containing bits of the OW backstory. When you piece it all together, I personally think the world building that Blizzard has done is pretty solid, if overly unorthodox in its execution. It dawned on me recently that Overwatch is like the sleek/updated version of G.I. Joe when you think about it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 19, 2016

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

I've kept up with the lore through a masterpost on tumblr (yeah, yeah) that is continually updated: http://starcunning.tumblr.com/post/144518806494/overwatch-lore-masterpost. It is the most comprehensive collection of every bit of media containing bits of the OW backstory. When you piece it all together, I personally think the world building that Blizzard has done is pretty solid, if overly unorthodox in its execution. It dawned on me recently that Overwatch is like the sleek/updated version of G.I. Joe when you think about it.

Well there goes my afternoon (and the G.I. Joe parallel is spot on)

You know come to think of it the game is probably the imaginings of the little kid with the green arm cast from the original short. Like after that little adventure he went home and made up elaborate battles with his Overwatch toys and that's what we're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I've heard something similar. It's a video game that exists within the Overwatch universe based on the heroes currently running around the universe.

The Myst series actually did that. When the Myst MMO came around (which failed spectacularly) it reconned a bunch of stuff, the way they justified that in-universe was by saying that the previous games and books exist in-universe and were based on real events with some artistic license.

• Locked thread