Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sub Rosa posted:

That's me.

Yep, you were who I was thinking of. I actually never asked about any experiences you've had since your transition, any you'd be willing to share?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 24, 2019

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A question on terminology, and feel free to slap me if its not kosher, but would you prefer to be called sister or brother? I try to make an effort on pronouns etc but as non co-masonry is fraternal I'm not sure on the etiquette here, and I don't want to cause offence in future by using the wrong one for you. Regardless of whether a woman can be a mason or not, anyone who took our oaths is a part of our Masonic family and entitled to the fullest respect.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Loomer posted:

Regardless of whether a woman can be a mason or not, anyone who took our oaths is a part of our Masonic family and entitled to the fullest respect.

Yeah this. People forget that there was actually an obligated female Mason at one point.

Granted, it's because she had been hiding up in the floor above the lodge and knew all the rituals by that point, BUT STILL.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Loomer posted:

Regardless of whether a woman can be a mason or not, anyone who took our oaths is a part of our Masonic family and entitled to the fullest respect.

Regardless whatever, everyone is entitled our fullest respect. It is hard and making exceptions is tempting, but aren't we all about trying to be better men?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 24, 2019

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
There are several, more liberal leaning lodges in NC, but they are the exception. There are plenty more, unfortunately, that prefer to dwell in the dark ages. Interestingly enough, our grand lodge is refreshingly progressive. At least compared to the rest of the South.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sub Rosa posted:

We actually haven't met though I surmise he's WM of the lodge I like best in my city.

I'm JW of P. P. Turner lodge #746. I just fill in for conferring degrees because uh... it's hard to get people to make an effort sometimes. Especially in a small lodge.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

I'm JW of P. P. Turner lodge #746. I just fill in for conferring degrees because uh... it's hard to get people to make an effort sometimes. Especially in a small lodge.
My mistake.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Anyone from the Perth / WA area that I can ask for a favor?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't want to start a political discussion, but apparently the uncle of the man shot in Minnesota the other day is a past Grand Master of the Minnesota Prince Hall Grand Lodge. I was watching an interview with him on CNN, and at the end he said, "I'd just like to say one more thing, oh Lord, m-... (etc. etc.)". I've never heard anyone actually use the words of distress in earnest before, but it was very emotional to hear.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I don't want to start a political discussion, but apparently the uncle of the man shot in Minnesota the other day is a past Grand Master of the Minnesota Prince Hall Grand Lodge. I was watching an interview with him on CNN, and at the end he said, "I'd just like to say one more thing, oh Lord, m-... (etc. etc.)". I've never heard anyone actually use the words of distress in earnest before, but it was very emotional to hear.

That's a pretty powerful call.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://freemasonsunited.online/

I'm not sure who is organizing this, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Holy poo poo, what a gesture.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I just found the clip and watched that segment. I can actually see him trying to decide what to do.

I really, really hope that masonsunited thing doesn't end up being squandered or end up being kinda lovely/half felt or some - even worse, scam.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Innerguard posted:

I just found the clip and watched that segment. I can actually see him trying to decide what to do.

Here's a link to where he says it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuhbAZ6hlH4&t=22m20s

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, sorry if you get this question often but I I'd like to ask you something

I'm in London and I've had the opportunity to visit the UGLE. I'm not a freemason but I'm interested in being one, and I often have a lot of free time I'd like to be able to dedicate to some coordinated charitable activities

Is there any way I can approach the UGLE for volunteering activities and maybe some day become a freemason? I don't know any freemasons in this country so it may be difficult

tia

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Furia posted:

Hey guys, sorry if you get this question often but I I'd like to ask you something

I'm in London and I've had the opportunity to visit the UGLE. I'm not a freemason but I'm interested in being one, and I often have a lot of free time I'd like to be able to dedicate to some coordinated charitable activities

Is there any way I can approach the UGLE for volunteering activities and maybe some day become a freemason? I don't know any freemasons in this country so it may be difficult

tia

Why not do it the other way around? Become a mason and then dedicate your time to your charitable activities of choice?
Because it would be weird to dedicate your time to UGLE without being a mason.

Anyway, use their site to find a lodge close to you and visit them, find out if they are people you can associate with and get your application in. It won't be to hard to get two masons to vouch for you, we can help out with that if needed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SimonChris posted:

http://freemasonsunited.online/

I'm not sure who is organizing this, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Don't think I'll be submitting my name and info to a random website on the Internet about Freemasons :tinfoil:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Why not do it the other way around? Become a mason and then dedicate your time to your charitable activities of choice?
Because it would be weird to dedicate your time to UGLE without being a mason.

Anyway, use their site to find a lodge close to you and visit them, find out if they are people you can associate with and get your application in. It won't be to hard to get two masons to vouch for you, we can help out with that if needed.

Well, I'm currently in a position in which I can offer a lot of my time but not in which I think I can become a mason or perform my duties to the best of my ability. I'll try to find a local lodge anyways and see what comes out of it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If you wait for the "perfect time", you'll be waiting your whole life.

If you're interested, go check it out. The time will sort itself out.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Last night was pretty great. Our lodge was host to the School of Instruction, practicing the FC degree. I sat JS, and apparently did a good job.

What was truly great was seeing our lodge so full. We're a rather small lodge, able to fill all the chairs, but not much more than that. It's quite beautiful, seeing so many good men in harmony, especially during the summer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Here's something cool. My lodge is P. P. Turner lodge #746 in Greensboro, NC. We just had this paper framed:

It's a newspaper from November 11th, 1918, announcing the end of World War 1. On the back, there's a really small announcement for the next Greensboro lodge meeting, with Worshipful Master, P. P. Turner. Pretty cool :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A pretty fair article: http://www.break.com/article/20-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-freemasonry-3037478

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I find myself in the awkward position of several brothers wanting me to join the Templars while I'm not a Christian or a trinitarian in the conventional sense. I recognize the existence of the holy trinity but through a qabalistic and pantheistic perspective, but somehow I doubt that counts for their purposes.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Loomer posted:

I find myself in the awkward position of several brothers wanting me to join the Templars while I'm not a Christian or a trinitarian in the conventional sense. I recognize the existence of the holy trinity but through a qabalistic and pantheistic perspective, but somehow I doubt that counts for their purposes.

Maybe, but don't make their minds up for them.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.msana.com/msastats.asp

North American membership statistics for 2015 are out. Unfortunately, the decline in membership does not seem to be reversing, except in a couple of individual states.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

So just say "thanks, but no thanks". That's why I did. I'm pretty much the only Jewish guy in my lodge, so I get where you're coming from. My thoughts on the matter are, if you can't get behind the premise of the Templars, then you're probably not going to get much out of the ritual either, right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Probably, yeah. It's one I'm going to think on and ask those brethren if they'd be comfortable still recommending me as a Templar, and maybe a few of the grand preceptories in the country of their learned opinion. If they're comfortable and the grand preceptories see no issue, then it comes down to whether or not I'm personally comfortable with becoming one.

So far the response from the brethren has been very respectful of my apologies, but disappointed to hear. One's sending me the text of the vows to see if my religious beliefs are compatible with the wording and intent, and he's a man I deeply respect as we view oaths and obligations the same way - if we make them, we mean them, as all masons should but some unfortunately don't.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SimonChris posted:

http://www.msana.com/msastats.asp

North American membership statistics for 2015 are out. Unfortunately, the decline in membership does not seem to be reversing, except in a couple of individual states.

I did the math and you guys lost about 4 percent from 2014. 2nd worst year, 1st worst being 2013.

FWIW and the lodges I have visted it looks like its the older generation dying off. The lodge I am joining (september or october, I can't wait) is half old guys and half young guys. I went fishing the other week with a guy from the lodge, and he told me that the NY grand lodge has specifically issued a directive saying that if some of the senior members start bellyaching to the new guys the officers are supposed to intercede and get the young guys away from that conversation.

he also said lodge meetings can be painful when the old guard starts going on with 'well we did it this way when i was new and why should we change now'.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Membership trends are, in my opinion, a correction against an overgrowth. The generational issues will resolve only with time.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Membership trends are, in my opinion, a correction against an overgrowth. The generational issues will resolve only with time.

I completely agree. Too much energy is spent on trying to stop a return to equilibrium.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In California we Initiated/Passed/Raised more men year over year from 2000 to 2913 or so, but still the decline continues due to just how many WWII and and Korea vets are dying. They estimated we wouldn't start actually growing again until 2020 at the earliest.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Rural freemasonry is in decline, but what concerns me is that the response to that decline where I am is not to try and arrest it or to reasonably downscale, but to more or less amputate the rural lodges completely. That includes my lodge, which was built at a time when membership numbers in the region were lower than they are now. We're not looking to pre-50s equilibrium - we're trying to maintain the numbers from the post-war boom by collapsing lodges together and forcing masonry into the cities.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I agree definitely with you that that is a problem. I think it has to do with a combination of rising land costs and grand lodges that, fat from days of plenty, no longer are satisfied with lodges merely breaking even on their properties. Rather than allowing rich urban lodges to support the perpetual existence of poor rural lodges, they see it as better to kill off the decentralized rural lodges altogether. After all, the urban lodges either have new buildings it would be a shame not to use, or elaborate, ornate buildings in the case that the urban lodge has always been rich. By contrast, think the grand lodges, the rural lodges are often either older and in disrepair, or modest and simple, and so better to do away with those buildings as not much is lost.

In either case I think that is one of the major disasters of the decline, but it's not really a problem of the decline itself so much as it is one of grand lodges operating with a profit or growth mentality.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Do any of you know anything about the Scottish Lodge in the West Indies?

I ask because I have a Worshipful Master certificate from an ancestor that was assuredly not Scottish, and I'm wondering why he ended up there and not the standard Grand Lodge of England.

He was an Anglican priest residing in Barbados, if either of those things has any bearing on the answer!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Do any of you know anything about the Scottish Lodge in the West Indies?

I ask because I have a Worshipful Master certificate from an ancestor that was assuredly not Scottish, and I'm wondering why he ended up there and not the standard Grand Lodge of England.

He was an Anglican priest residing in Barbados, if either of those things has any bearing on the answer!

You had the answer all along. The District Grand Lodge of Barbados is constituted under the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The UGLE also has a Grand Lodge that shares some of that jurisdiction as part of the Eastern Caribbean but the individual lodges are split between which one is their constituting Grand Lodge.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

You had the answer all along. The District Grand Lodge of Barbados is constituted under the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The UGLE also has a Grand Lodge that shares some of that jurisdiction as part of the Eastern Caribbean but the individual lodges are split between which one is their constituting Grand Lodge.

That's pretty interesting. Is there any historical reason for this beyond "Scottish settlers established Freemasonry here first"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whoop! I have my initiation date! on the 28th I get my first degree!

I heard that they are doing a practice sunday morning at 10 AM for this. Is it appropriate to get a gift for the officers or the lodge? Maybe a bottle of booze or something?