Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So, I just wanted to post up a few thoughts on the Gneisenau. I should write this is experience from bone stock, so I know some things will improve, and other things will leave me scratching my head. The captain in this ship is an 11 point captain as well due to the long time training in the Tirpitz.

My other tier 7 BB is the Colorado. And this is going to be where I say I can't decide which is better. When it comes to gun accuracy, the colorado beats the gneis handily. However, if you were to take them both into a brawl, I would expect the gneis to win (ignoring the torps). However, the gneis seems to have a gasoline varnished deck and it appears to have the same armoring layout as the scharn, so give them an angled side to bounce on, but your superstructure will kill you when they hit it). However, also like the scharn, the seconaries are nuts. I have aft on my captain and I have the secondary module installed (the accuracy mod doesn't help enough anyway). 7.2km means your secondaries will go off surprisingly often.

Now, accuracy. I don't have the range upgrade yet and I'm of a mind to get it last. Why? It is already very shotgun like as it is, adding 1.7km to its range is just going to make it shotgun for more. Likewise, I'm going to get the engine upgrade second. Getting faster speed sounds like a good idea, but you can already outrun your entire team if you aren't watching it. And they can and will turn around leaving you staring at the perfect engagement for you, but now with no support. This leaves the hull upgrade as first. Uniform 128mm secondaries (a reduction in gun count and calibre though), 8k more hp, and a healthy cut on the rudder shift.

Gameplay wise, I've been finding myself getting caught out ahead of my team and dieing semi often. That, or my team will switch to a far away destroyer instead of the 4 battleships firing at and converging on me. Because I'm a tree german bb, people currently have a deep desire to shoot them on sight. I wish I could get my team to do that without having to first draw blood via a citadel. This is where it is difficult for me and I'm still working through it. The shotgun spread of the shells begs you to get close. Your american bb teammates should be happy to join you in the brawl. Instead, you often find yourself getting focused as you try and get close enough for your guns to be accurate while your americans BBs have turned around because they don't suffer nearly as much in accuracy at range. On the other hand, when things go right, it is amazing. I just had a game where I did 99k damage and only died near the end. This was helped because I had a tirpitz div on my team who also had the mind to get close and personal with their ships. The enemy really didn't know what to do when 3 brawling battleships closed the distance on them.

TLDR: I would say the colorado and the gneisenau are about on equal terms. The gneisenau goes faster, but its guns aren't as accurate at range compared to the colorado (and also less guns which makes the spread more noticeable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really liking the German BBs. I free XPed and picked up the Koings and Bayern and a Scharn. I hope that they continue to feel as agile as they do. Really godly armor to boot. Suits my play style of getting stuck in :getin:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

It depends on the play style, for me the Colorado >>>> Nagato. The Nagato was painful, the guns were good but the armor sucked rear end, and the Nagato felt like it had much worse dispersion. But I like to get in and brawl.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xthetenth posted:

A surprisingly high number of those players only demonstrate skill in clicking on the big red button though. You can pick this game up pretty quickly.

Yes, but the ones that are actually decent just stomp my face in, like any seal clubber. And then there are the super bads that came back that keep messing with me by completely stopping moving so my first volley misses entirely.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Dmitri Donskoi : how do you play it ?
I've got one and my win rate is abyssal in it.

It so big and squishy that you can't really push with it without getting punished by battleship fire. So after trying to support the destroyers at the beginin of the battle and eating a couple citadel in the process, I usualy retreat and snipe for the rest of the game.
It is not a bad sniper but pubbies being pubbies, it is very rare that some people will push to capture the objectives.

The HE are quite underwelming, at range they do very little damage to battleships (once lobbec 30ish at a Montana 16km away for a whoping 0 damage and 4 fires). At close range they don't even do that good damage against destroyers. They do have pretty high fire chance so there is that.
AP is surprisingly effective against other cruiser that will often underestimate you.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Krogort posted:

Dmitri Donskoi

I am having a really weird experience in the Donskoi. I'm doing well in it, all my stats so far are above average and my damage is over a third higher than the average. However after 15 games I am sitting on a loving 26% win rate mostly bolstered by losing something like 8 in a row 2 days ago. Obviously the sample size is small but I can't get my head around the fact I've had so many decent games in it and lost. I also just today went from stock hull to C so perhaps my experience will improve.

In contrast, I am also playing through the Roon and after 93 battles I have a 55% win rate which is 5% more than the average, yet my damage in it is much lower than the Donskoi.

I play the Donskoi as a long range annoyance, trying to set a fire on something, move on to another target, repeat. It can easily hit BBs at 18+km and I have a 17% fire chance (DE and flag) with 12 shells every 12.5 seconds so its up there with the Zao and Ibuki in terms of fire starting. If there's a good island for cover I try to get close to caps to support DDs and pop radar, but its not ideal for this compared to a Roon or Des Moines because its a lot more visible and harder to maneouver in close quarters.

Buttes McDuff
Dec 4, 2004

Scottish Buttesman

JuffoWup posted:

TLDR: I would say the colorado and the gneisenau are about on equal terms. The gneisenau goes faster, but its guns aren't as accurate at range compared to the colorado (and also less guns which makes the spread more noticeable).

I have been playing the Gneisenau for the past few days too, mostly to see if the Scharn is worth buying, but I have mixed feelings. The guns just feel too unreliable with the dispersion, which is only amplified with a mere 6. When I fire off a finishing salvo sub 10km at cruisers in a Nagato, Warspite, Nex Mex, etc there is major shell volume there to ensure you will get the job done. With the Gnes, you are just as likely to have fire off that salvo and miss entirely. On the flip side, I had one of those epic battles where I split the middle between a Colorado and Nagato yesterday and put torps into both which was incredibly satisfying.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
5 Bismarck losses in a row and we got always uptiered.

But then this happened. Secondary Bismarck build + Cyclone = fun

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Buttes McDuff posted:

I have been playing the Gneisenau for the past few days too, mostly to see if the Scharn is worth buying, but I have mixed feelings. The guns just feel too unreliable with the dispersion, which is only amplified with a mere 6. When I fire off a finishing salvo sub 10km at cruisers in a Nagato, Warspite, Nex Mex, etc there is major shell volume there to ensure you will get the job done. With the Gnes, you are just as likely to have fire off that salvo and miss entirely. On the flip side, I had one of those epic battles where I split the middle between a Colorado and Nagato yesterday and put torps into both which was incredibly satisfying.

Yup, that has been my experience too. The dispersion kind of puts me off which is why I say it is probably about equal to the colorado. It can at least get into a fight with the rest of the team unlike the colorado. However, it doesn't have the longer ranged accuracy and bullet volume to get started at max range. Otherwise, I've done similar feats of strength in the ship as well. Catching people unaware you have torpedoes is always amusing.

Hammerstein posted:

5 Bismarck losses in a row and we got always uptiered.

But then this happened. Secondary Bismarck build + Cyclone = fun

Funny you should mention secondary bismark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLG8sDT3oi0

The tirpitz fight he goes up against is him at 50% hp versus a near full health tirpitz. The tirpitz died not only from his main guns, but also the secondaries ripping him to shreds.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I had literally decided to purchase a Tirpitz when I got home today due to the reduced price on Eu this weekend, but this video is giving me second thoughts. I think the Bismarck's Secondaries, Hydro and superior AA more than make up for the Tirpitz's torpedos.

Edit: I agree with the post below to an extent but where I think the Bismarck *may* be able to get around this is that it only needs to be within 10k for its secondaries, not the 6k of the Tirpitz's torps, and also has the hydro to help it get there.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Bismarck and Tirpitz share the same problem. They are great brawlers, but under the current meta it's hard to get into optimal range. Thanks to sonar the Bismarck is the better ship, but the Tirpitz torps are hilarious when you get a chance to use them - also keep in mind that the Tirpitz is a fantastic money maker.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Don't forget that the Scharnorst and Tirpitz torpedoes are quite hard to use.
Most people expect them and do their drat best to stay outside of their range. And for the dumb players that dare apprach you, you have to decide between launching them at 6km and risking the other ship dodging them or suck up the damage and take the risk of them getting incapacited (torp launcher are very fragile) for a point blank launch.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I just made a Scharnhorst eat 4 Tirpitz torps.... :dance:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I've been killin lots of dumb BBs with my Scharnhorst torps. Having a lotta tier 7 matches with bads probably helps. Also I don't really have too many issues with the dispersion or the penetration.

Maybe my pixel boat was better calibrated out of the pixel factory?

Also been making a healthy amount of doubloons playing in the walkie-talkie now.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Personal rating and win rate no longer relate to each other. We live in the days of the pubbie rng.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hammerstein posted:

Personal rating and win rate no longer relate to each other. We live in the days of the pubbie rng.

Yep, my personal rate is going up and up and my win rate is the entire opposite.

200% exp bonus, new ship line and the weekend make it a coin toss if you get a win just now.

Just about every game I am getting in the top 3 damage and exp but can I gently caress get a win, you have a really good fight one side of the map, then look up and your team has melted, it's just so frustrating.

Also playing cruisers with this many BBs in game is just inviting to be critted, there's simply way too many large caliber shells flying around to avoid them all if you have a moments inattention.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Armor viewer being used in the newest Armada video (Scharnhorst):

and from the QueNA for 0.5.10 a few days ago:

>Q: Any ETA on the Armor Viewer and Carrier UI rework?
>A: Armor Viewer is looking like it might make it into 0.5.11, Carrier UI is still a few patches away.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

pubbie rng confirmed

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 19, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

It's me, I had all the luck yesterday.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

JuffoWup posted:

Funny you should mention secondary bismark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLG8sDT3oi0

The tirpitz fight he goes up against is him at 50% hp versus a near full health tirpitz. The tirpitz died not only from his main guns, but also the secondaries ripping him to shreds.

:swoon: I love secondary builds; can't wait to get it. I've even secondary built the lower tier German BB's and once I got myself in the Tier V ship, retrained my Tirpitz captain. I think I have two points to go until he's a 15 skill captain.

edit:I have about ~80,000 free XP. I'm tempted to use it to go straight to Bismarck although skipping past the Shitsuharu is also tempting. Also, just watched Flamu's Grosser Wurstfurst video. He disagrees with Chase, that's for sure.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 19, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've got about 35k Free XP, worth getting myself a Konig and working up to a Bismarck, or nah? Also debating just playing a few more matches to nab the Colorado since I've got about 60k on my NM thus far.

Also contemplating buying the Scharnhorst.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Usually the Gremyaschy gets tossed in to those blahg T5-T7 matches, where it's only OK ish.

But once in a while, you get in a T4/T5 game, and, well, it's just fantastic.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, some people are still telling me the Izumo is bad.

These people are so wrong. First game with her in like eight months and she's doing this. Hell, I forgot to put the prem consumables back on her and still did this. Highlights for the replay are the Iowa getting hosed by a tripple-citadel and a brawl with the enemy Izumo. He made a crucial mistake at the last minute that made me ditch my original plan of ramming him due to the health difference between us and instead we get some fireworks.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 19, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

...Gremyaschy...it's only OK ish.

Its literally one of only two ships they can never sell again because its too OP.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

kaesarsosei posted:

Its literally one of only two ships they can never sell again because its too OP.

It has started being at ground zero for poo poo tiering though. It's a kickass ship but being a great tier five only goes so far against tier sevens.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

kaesarsosei posted:

was the other imperator?

if so, i really missed the boat on that one.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

was the other imperator?

if so, i really missed the boat on that one.

Yes, and the new mm makes it better. Fighting these newbs in german bbs is hilarious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

It has started being at ground zero for poo poo tiering though. It's a kickass ship but being a great tier five only goes so far against tier sevens.

Yea, I mean, it's a super ship (And you can see the screenshot I posted, kraken, high caliber, and confederate with 160k damage in a DD is silly) but against T7 gunboat DDs you can just get completely loving torn up because the turrets are so slow.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Caved in and bought a Tirpitz for 10.5k Doubloons. Works out about the same as a Scharnhorst currently in EU.

What do people put in Upgrade slot 2 (500k) and 5 (2m)?

For the 2nd I can see an argument for Aiming Mod, AA Guns and Secondary Mod.

For the 5th, I nearly always go with Concealment but I'm tempted by the spotting one since I intend getting close and dirty in this ship.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Always aiming mod on a Tirpitz. Your guns are *not* accurate, at all. Especially at range.

Unless you're a secondary junkie.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Always aiming mod on a Tirpitz. Your guns are *not* accurate, at all. Especially at range.

Same, Aiming mod unless you have a 15pt captain with manual secondaries.

I too run with the spotting mod as it helps dodge low speed torpedoes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The tirpitz just doesnt have the secondary range for it. There is already a small boost on secondary guns with the aim mod anyway. That said atsf has two tirpitz videos, I'll have to look it up later. I think he did suggest vis and secondary mods.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Anyone tried the Konig and Bayern ?
How do they compare to the New York and New Mexico ? they seem to have the same role (brawling) but have better armor and speed.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Goon divisioning and the flood of Nassau potatoes has boosted my Campbeltown win rate to 78%(18/23). :bernin:

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've got about 35k Free XP, worth getting myself a Konig and working up to a Bismarck, or nah? Also debating just playing a few more matches to nab the Colorado since I've got about 60k on my NM thus far.

Also contemplating buying the Scharnhorst.

Don't free XP past the New Mexico. It's so good and you'll need the XP to get past the base hull Colorado.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, first time I took my Nagato out for a spin since the patch. Kraken and 111k damage - though admittedly a bit more than a third of that was the enemy Ranger unfortunate to be spotted at around 11km from me. It was bow on, so basically everything penned or citadeled and it went down in 2 volleys. Definitely felt like more T5 ships in a T7 match than before though. Good for me, bad for unfortunate T5s.

Also, is it just me or does it look like they're planning to add 8 more Service Record levels? Glanced through it for the first time in a while and there are 8 empty spaces.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrKatharsis posted:

Goon divisioning and the flood of Nassau potatoes has boosted my Campbeltown win rate to 78%(18/23). :bernin:

Don't free XP past the New Mexico. It's so good and you'll need the XP to get past the base hull Colorado.

I already have the NM, I'm just torn if I want to wait to move up to a Colorado, or use my XP to get myself well into the German BB line.

Though now I'm torn on buying the Scharnhorst or not. I've got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and it looks like a fun ship to play...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lord Koth posted:

Also, is it just me or does it look like they're planning to add 8 more Service Record levels? Glanced through it for the first time in a while and there are 8 empty spaces.

Yeah I saw that. I assume one will eventually be for Clan Wars in 2020.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

In the right circumstances, the Kurfust can do pretty well. This guy gets to keep his guns firing while attracting little attention from the enemy team until he pushes onto the B cap. 242k damage.

JuffoWup posted:

The tirpitz just doesnt have the secondary range for it. There is already a small boost on secondary guns with the aim mod anyway. That said atsf has two tirpitz videos, I'll have to look it up later. I think he did suggest vis and secondary mods.

It's viable, but I personally go for the AA build because I get hosed by planes more often than I get a chance to really put my secondaries to work. YMMV.

Krogort posted:

Anyone tried the Konig and Bayern ?
How do they compare to the New York and New Mexico ? they seem to have the same role (brawling) but have better armor and speed.

I have the Konig and it's...alright. You have to really be careful where you aim at BBs in order to get penetrations, and don't expect citadels against them. However, it murders the gently caress out of cruisers. Expect many citadels and devastating strikes against those :). I think what's really funny about it is that the middle turret actually has a good arc. You can fire it before you can get the rear two on target.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I already have the NM, I'm just torn if I want to wait to move up to a Colorado, or use my XP to get myself well into the German BB line.

Though now I'm torn on buying the Scharnhorst or not. I've got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and it looks like a fun ship to play...

The best use of free xp is to get upgrades. Save it till you get the ship unlocked, then immediately buy at least the hull upgrade. Though it's not a terrible idea to skip the Nausea. Probably the best tier 3 BB, but still not a great ship.

The Schotgun is fun, but you have to know how to play it. If you watch this video and also this one, and you think that's right up your alley, go for it. I have it, it's a great ship, but it plays differently than the other tier 7 BBs. Also a bit different from the Tirpitz.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There is also this video as well:

https://youtu.be/4t-j1Kaeg4w

For the tirpitz discussion earlier, here is atsf covering it:
https://youtu.be/sgNfhQFTY7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got the totally useless commemorative flag.

Turns out you can't have it and the actually useful Veterans Day commemorative flag mounted at the same time. :downsgun: