Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sinking belle posted:

Hey thread what's your favourite dev lyric

I can't decide between "all the time I needed your approval to be me" or "WE PRAISE SATAN, HE LIVES INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS" I don't give a poopy nugget that it wasn't him singing that second one

e. "Motion personified alpha" is a nice sequence of words too
OOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIVESSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Recycle. Recycle!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't eat the cheeseburgers guys, i'm a vegemetarian!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Only the lonely (and maybe john denver) know the canadian freeway.

Suffer!!

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
"I'm lost, I'm freaking, and everyone knows - everyone's watching" from the amazing bridge in Detox always stuck with me more than any other, since I got into SYL way back when I was an angsty wee lad myself.

I also really enjoy the random non sequitur "poo poo!" that he throws in a bunch of songs, especially in Universe In A Ball. I crack a smile every time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SYL was my intro to Devin more than 10 years ago. Went and saw them play this ridiculous concert at the Bronco Bowl, this legendarily grody music venue in Dallas that also had a bowling alley.

Met some nerdy kids there who were my age. They're like "you're into Devin Townsend?" and I'm like "who?"

So afterwards we go meet him by the bus, and I'm stunned because he's the polar opposite of the person I just saw on stage. Just very friendly and nerdy and Devin. They're asking him questions like "are you going to do another Ocean Machine" and I have no idea what is happening.

After that the other kids invited me to come hang out, and we show up in this guy's room, which is his mom's basement in Arlington. Like full-on goons with anime stuff. And they burned me all of the DTP cds :3:

Never stayed in touch but thanks!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 17, 2016

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The second half of Noisy Pink Bubbles has always gotten to me like few other songs have.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I went to a SYL show once and I have never felt more handsome in my entire life.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
The second single from Transcendence released a day early (thought it was coming Friday). Sounds like Synchestra with the good parts of Epicloud sprinkled in. Anneke's on this one, but she's relegated to the background.

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 18, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JAF07 posted:

The second single from Transcendence released a day early (thought it was coming Friday). Sounds like Synchestra with the good parts of Epicloud sprinkled in. Anneke's on this one, but she's relegated to the background.
The chorus on this one totally kills. Fuuuuck. Those drums :stare:

I think Devy fans will like this record. It's like Deconstruction ... but happy.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 19, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Secret Sciences is now on Spotify.

Also a guy on Last.fm called EvanClark has a review copy and posted some stuff:

quote:

Stand put tracks so far (3 listens in) Failure Higher Stars

quote:

The only thing I really dislike is that Truth starts out the album. It's a great rerecording and it clearly worms as an album opening, but using the rerecording as the opener for this one takes away a little bit of the magic of Infinity, because no other album sounded like that until now. Just a little bummer. But listening to the whole thing is a pure joy.

quote:

There's a ton of solos on the record and much higher emphasis on instrumentation intricacies. There's very few songs where the vocals are the main focus, which is a bit of a change of pace. Instead most of the songs have heavily layered harmony vocals between devy and anneke. The vocals are kind of shrouded, which actually works pretty well for this type of music.

quote:

new album is pretty loving tits. Its basically Accelerated Evolution mixed with Sky Blue

:fap:

quote:

Just wait until you hear Higher and Transdermal Celebration. Really looking forward to discussing this album with you man.

^ in reply to "Secret Sciences is out in the ether now, and it's absolutely frigging brilliant. No words for how much i love it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh and here's part 2 of the Transcendence documentary

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Here's the new song for the lazy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1l7levWwBg

I think I need this to grow on me...it's not love at first hearing but there's a lot going on there so it will need some more listening.

I know i'm in the minority but I really hope Anneke isn't featured so much in the new stuff. She's been on so many songs now and i've just never been a huge fan.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's as Devin as it gets. I think it'll be one of those songs on the album that just sneaks up on you. You won't skip it but after a few days of listening to the album, it'll be the one that sticks with you.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I just paid 100 pounds for the limited, boxed edition of his book. Not a fanboy, I swear. :jerkbag:

Digging the new song, they can't release that poo poo soon enough.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Even the stuff he puts out that I don't like, I still end up listening to more than most because it's interesting. Guy is a loving mad scientist.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pretty "meh" on it. Does remind me a little of epicloud in that it was something that I let play once before it fell out the memory hole. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Glad yall dudes dig it tho!!

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 20, 2016

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I love the solo, though it's way too short. That tone and style is what hooked me on Dev when I first heard Terria and saw the Safe Zone DVD. I've missed it since most things since then have been the same arpeggio sweeps and wanks he mocks himself for. He has a lot of feel in some of his solos in A.E and Terria.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

Debbie Downer time.

I've had an opportunity to listen to the rest of the album a couple of times now, and I'm sadly not that impressed. In his MetalSucks podcast interview, Devin jokingly marketed this album as "This year's version of the same poo poo we always do," and it's unfortunately pretty spot on.

The album from "Stormbending" to "Higher" is pretty good, and that's where you really hear the influence of the older albums (and I have a feeling you guys are gonna love "Higher." Reminds me of "Mountain," and then goes full-on Deconstruction about half way through). From "Stars" onward though, the wheels come off the bus for me. It all sounds like stuff that could've been on Epicloud or Sky Blue.

"Offer Your Light" is the lone exception--it sounds like Z2. It's fun to drive to, but it's also kind of bland. It's also the only song that prominently features Anneke (she's mostly buried in the background on the majority of the album).

I've been a fan of Devin's since City, and I've always loved how he's forged new directions with his albums. However, his stuff hasn't truly engaged me since Casualties. It all just sounds so same-y. It's like he's going through the motions like he was with The New Black.

On the plus side, the band/instrumentation has never sounded tighter. Ryan especially --i remember hearing him on Accelerated Evolution and thinking he was mediocre. He's really upped his game.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hows truth? Is it better than the original? How's it different. I'm not too worried because there is the bonus disk with 11 more songs, and his cuts are usually great as well, so we get like 21 new tracks :)

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

henpod posted:

Hows truth? Is it better than the original? How's it different. I'm not too worried because there is the bonus disk with 11 more songs, and his cuts are usually great as well, so we get like 21 new tracks :)

It has subtle changes, slightly clearer production (really just the benefit of the modern recording equipment) and Anneke now handles the "hallelujah" part. The outro is longer too, so it can blend better with the mid-tempo Stormbending. It's just sorta there for me--it's not like Hyperdrive or Kingdom that had lackluster instrumentation/production and benefited from the new version. Plus, subconsciously I expect Christeen to come next and then get disappointed. :saddowns:

To answer in a bit more detail, the instrumentation is pretty close to how he plays it live now (the extra guitar flourishes that might've gotten buried in the mix in the original). The "hallelujah" part is quieter too--the backing guitar switches to acoustic.

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2016

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The album has leaked, I really like it.

Higher is really god drat heavy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like it but I'm also agreeing with other goons here a bit. Devin seems kinda checked out. But I think part of the process in this one was the rest of band had a bigger role in crafting the songs. Ryan Van Poederooyen is going crazy on the drums, where Devin is (and I'm making a huge assumption) cranking up the volume to mask over the going-through-the-motions feeling.

Stormbending and Secret Sciences are the best tracks. The last refrain on Stormbending sung live has got be out there.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 21, 2016

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

Wikkheiser posted:

I like it but I'm also agreeing with other goons here a bit. Devin seems kinda checked out. But I think part of the process in this one was the rest of band had a bigger role in crafting the songs. Ryan Van Poederooyen is going crazy on the drums, where Devin is (and I'm making a huge assumption) cranking up the volume to mask over the going-through-the-motions feeling.

Stormbending and Secret Sciences are the best tracks. The last refrain on Stormbending sung live has got be out there.

Devin's next project (according to that MetalSucks interview) is the symphony, and he mentioned "other poo poo" he wanted to do as well. This could (hopefully) be the last DTP album for a while.

Parts of Secret Sciences remind me of Six Degrees-era Dream Theater, and the chorus reminds me of Fear Factory. Curious if the latter came about since he was revisiting his past with the autobiography.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Add me to the 'really liked it' camp so far. I love all the orchestral parts that just randomly show up, like in Truth

Truth is really really really good

TeamJesus posted:

The album has leaked, I really like it.

Higher is really god drat heavy.

God drat is it ever, gently caress

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 21, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's not nearly as catchy or poppy as Sky/Epicloud was, but that's not really a bad thing. It's more of a grower but I'm digging it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm more excited about finally hearing Into The Sun than anything else tbh, gonna get on this album as soon as I get home though (assuming it's just the single disc version that's out there??)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Failure is really good, great percussion too.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Digging the album, but I do think it kind of lacks its own identity within Townsend's entire discography. It's a pretty solid album overall, so don't let that critique fool you. It just sounds like more Devin Townsend, that's all. There's no wrench thrown into it like with something like Ziltoid or Ki or Ghost or Epicloud, etc. I also think starting the whole thing off with an previously used iconic album opener like Truth really kind of hurts it in that regard.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

well poo poo Offer Your Light is godlike

jesus is that a C64 synth?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

RDreamer posted:

I also think starting the whole thing off with an previously used iconic album opener like Truth really kind of hurts it in that regard.

I quite like it, but I really agree with this, and with it feeling like he's just going through the motions. Before he took a few years off, I remember thinking that I wished he would just walk away from it all and be happy. It worked out great the first time. I think another break would do him a lot of good.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Having listened to it a few times, first impressions.

Truth is fine but I liked the weird, warped sound of the original. Still, the drums sound loving massive and its cool.

Title track - not sure on this one, its pretty different and that's ok by me. Not bad at all.

Stormbender - yeah, not bad. needs a few more listens.

Stars - I like the melody but I feel like the drums are actually a little too loud on this one? Its quite a sweet song but the slow double bass on the chorus jars a bit.

Offer your light - was surprised by this. its fast, cheesy and pretty awesome. There's a lot going on, to the point where the mix seems to struggle but its a good track.

Higher - monster of a song. Heavy as gently caress, lots of cool stuff going on. Drags a little bit in the last quarter but finishes well.

Transdermal celebration - pretty much an identical copy of the ween track. Thought he might have done something more with it. Also, its only three or so minutes long, the rest is just atmospheric sounds.

From the heart - cant remember poo poo from this song, i think it might be the worst one on the album? Needs more listening.

Overall the album is very good but I wasnt amazed by what i heard. A bit through the motions, nothing new, no interesting angles but by no means would i describe it as a bad album. Time will tell.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah. Starting a listen now, but I really don't care for the Truth remake. His other remastered songs have been awesome, but this one not so much. It's just not as "big" and doesn't fill a room in quite the same way as the original. It's a case where higher production actually hurt it. :(

If the rest of the album is like Epicloud and Sky Blue as people say, though, I'll be happy. They're two are among my favorites of his.

e: liking the rest of the album so far. Not sure where it fits within his discography, but some solid work in here.

Offer Your Light owns

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 24, 2016

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

The more I listen to Transcendence the more I am loving it. The only song at this point that really hasn't grabbed me is Stars, it's good but just kinda there.

Offer Your Light is so loving good.

BUT

:57 in Truth is different slightly and adds an extra downbeat into it. Kinda ruins that part IMO. Rest of the song owns though.

sinking belle posted:

well poo poo Offer Your Light is godlike

You've always had good music opinions. (mostly)

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I thought I was underwhelmed by Truth at first, but I just compared it (and specifically 0:57) and I really can't go back to the old version now. All I can hear is the fizz. The wall of sound is still there just it's not nearly as prevalent. I can get not liking this change, and agree to some extent, but I still think it's massively improved.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a ticket to see him in September. This will be my first Devin show.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GORDON posted:

I've seen him live like three times and he's been incredible every time.

He was kind of sad the first time, but the Sandy Hook shooting had happened like half an hour previously and he told us all it had happened so I guess that's understandable

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

me too i'm super stoked

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I keep putting off buying mine and no one else will go with me but I'll probably hopefully get my poo poo together and see him. I've always wanted to se BtBaM as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kumbamontu posted:

me too i'm super stoked

Same. I was smart and bought earplugs for my buddy and I so we're not deaf.

• Locked thread