Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

DStecks posted:

EDIT: If I had a less abstract complaint about Human Revolution, it was that it leaned way too hard on knowledge of the plot of Deus Ex, which now seems weird to me, because, people who know more about the game can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't HR's portrayal of Augs as consumer products not really gel with DX?

There were relatively few augs in Deus Ex. They were all soldiers or former soldiers. It was implied that when newer augs came out it was more cost effective to augment new soldiers than to upgrade and retrofit old ones. Despite the fact that JC and the majority of the bad guys you come across are augmented at least a little (except maybe NSF soldiers) it feels like everyone has moved beyond augmentation like it was either a fad, a really bad idea, or theoretically something most people just couldn't afford as a luxury anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The stuff with DXHR gels pretty well with the stuff from the original DX design documents, at least for the treatment of augs. Having them start out as consumer products is all well and good, but (as it looks like DXMD is going to cover) public opinion turns around pretty quick, and you end up with augs being ostracized and treated as second class citizens at best, and by the time DX rolls around, it's an outdated technology only military folks use because of how people feel about it.

Hell, p-augs were made just so you could get 'good enough' supersoldiers without the public image problem.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
IHE is back for the Search For the Worst in a big way, reviewing 8 Disney ripoffs in one 51 minute go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbjyMnX62A

Tangled Out
What's Up: Balloon to the Rescue
A Car's Life
A Car's Life 2
Frozen Land
BravEr
Fantastic 4Force
and Skyforce

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My God, those movies are unbelievably awful.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Watching AVGN tackle Beavis and Butthead really is something else. You watch it and wonder how in the gently caress you get a game that looks and plays like your typical scroller but has a shitload of weird adventure game use-X-on-Y poo poo tacked onto it.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

Hi Moviebob.

Even Moviebob thinks Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is stupid.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Speaking of Deus Ex... it's the Game Dungeon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU

And as Ross says-- it's a game that's been reviewed by literally everyone-- but he has something new to say about it.

And he does.

Wow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why is it that random youtube people have more insightful and informative opinions or observations on games than most people in the enthusiast press? With the added bonus of not sounding pretentious?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lornekates posted:

So I never watched this guy and decided to click it because I really like Deus Ex.

Imagine my surprise when I hear Gordon Freeman. I wish I knew the Freeman's Mind guy did these earlier, I'm gonna have to marathon these. :toot:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Why is it that random youtube people have more insightful and informative opinions or observations on games than most people in the enthusiast press? With the added bonus of not sounding pretentious?

The enthusiast press usually need to say their piece about a game within the month after it's released, not 16 years after the fact. Enthusiast press also doesn't select for insightful, informative opinions and observations, it selects for people who can evaluate what are perceived to be the qualities that consumers care about. Somebody going to IGN for a review score doesn't give a flying gently caress if a game says questionable things about Apartheid, they want to know if it's the same as the last time but with incremental improvement and a couple new features.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, but even when they do write something that goes in more depth about the game or its themes, it's never all that insightful. It basically points out the very obvious things the games shows but doesn't really elaborate on it. There's a distinct lack of critical thinking in the editorial. It's worse when the game has really terrible themes under it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Game Dungeon is just an excellent series. I even like the one where he offers plans on how to improve your cult, because the game didn't think things through well enough.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, but even when they do write something that goes in more depth about the game or its themes, it's never all that insightful. It basically points out the very obvious things the games shows but doesn't really elaborate on it. There's a distinct lack of critical thinking in the editorial. It's worse when the game has really terrible themes under it

DStecks posted:

Enthusiast press also doesn't select for insightful, informative opinions and observations, it selects for people who can evaluate what are perceived to be the qualities that consumers care about.

I also tend to assume the more insightful people have wider interests and thus are interested in working somewhere other than just enthusiast press.

Also at least in videro games, the audience for vidya-centric publication tend to be a gigantic pain in the rear at the best of times, and actively hostile when confronted with opinions more nuanced than "This game is good." It doesn't strike me as the most rewarding career path.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

not 16 years after the fact.

Also, in this particular case, he examined how the game talked about a dystopian future that, in real life, took ~16 years to unfold.

So it would have been hard for EGM to match that. Not having a time machine and all.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Looking to gaming enthusiast press for deep analysis of video games is like looking to TV Guide for the same about tv shows. It's just not what it's for. Before you even get into a small but loud section of the gaming audience having heart palpitations at the thought of games being analyzed as anything but a consumer product.

Can-o-Worms time: what do we all think is the root cause for a substantial number of gamers turning against the idea of games as anything but personal ego fellatio? Because that's the ultimate reasoning behind hating female and non-white protagonists: they want to play as an idealized version of themselves at all times, in all games.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

Can-o-Worms time: what do we all think is the root cause for a substantial number of gamers turning against the idea of games as anything but personal ego fellatio?

John Madden.

Not the game. The man. I have zero proof, but I feelz he's an ultra middle-wing ball-normative hate monger who wants to destroy the human race.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DStecks posted:

Can-o-Worms time: what do we all think is the root cause for a substantial number of gamers turning against the idea of games as anything but personal ego fellatio? Because that's the ultimate reasoning behind hating female and non-white protagonists: they want to play as an idealized version of themselves at all times, in all games.

They don't see culture as anything more than pure entertainment, focusing on fun to the exclusion of any other goal, artistic or emotional.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

The major game reviewers have to either review a game at least somewhat favourably, or they don't get pre-release review copies anymore :toughguy:.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Do they hate female protagonists, though? Like, I've tried to keep up with all these faux controversies because they're hilarious, but I can't really recall any. I think the last one was when people were screaming that MN9 would have a female protagonist, and that was quite a while back. I think they just get really made when established series change the protagonist from male to female. And given how much they won't shut the gently caress up about censorship and localization, I think that has more to do with nerds not liking change of any sort. I haven't really heard them getting mad about games like ReCore or Nier Automata having female protagonists. And they're pretty pissed about the new Metroid game not having Samus in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Before E posted:

They don't see culture as anything more than pure entertainment, focusing on fun to the exclusion of any other goal, artistic or emotional.

Gamers like aestheticism except they intentionally miss the point that the opposite is also valid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

A "game" is by definition not serious, and people who purport to love them want to escape from anything real or meaningful. It's no surprise that many of them want to deny the reality of serious things in the real world too, and blame women and black people for ruining their pure white masculine dream by existing and not going away. They are the definition of denial.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Do they hate female protagonists, though? Like, I've tried to keep up with all these faux controversies because they're hilarious, but I can't really recall any. I think the last one was when people were screaming that MN9 would have a female protagonist, and that was quite a while back. I think they just get really made when established series change the protagonist from male to female. And given how much they won't shut the gently caress up about censorship and localization, I think that has more to do with nerds not liking change of any sort. I haven't really heard them getting mad about games like ReCore or Nier Automata having female protagonists. And they're pretty pissed about the new Metroid game not having Samus in it.

Didn't MN9 get a PR spokeswoman that got everyone in a tizzy? Also I'm sure they love female protagonists :fap:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Leal posted:

Also I'm sure they love female protagonists :fap:

Yeah I should have been clearer, what gets them loving livid is any move to less sexualized female characters, or even the suggestion thereof. There aren't any notable controversies over female protagonists in games because games don't have female protagonists. And I gotta disagree with the section I bolded in Kay's post; if the shift is in the opposite direction only the absolute "purist" faction gets unhappy. See: Cortana.

EDIT: Also, for anybody looking to take Jack Gladney's bait, that's not a fight you're gonna win here. You'll never out-So-Not-A-Nerd him.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 20, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

I think it's more the essential nostalgia that drives Romanticism. Those same people who cry bloody murder over a female link still play and enjoy Okami. People who got unreasonably angry about Snake being replaced by Raiden don't really care that Mirror's Edge has a leading lady. They want their games to remain unchanged from how they remember those games when they first played them and swapping main characters or changing their race/gender threatens the idealized memory.

Also see how mad Green Lantern fans got when their white main character dude got replaced with another less boring white main character dude. Then whined and moaned and complained about it for over a decade until it was reversed. Those same people mostly didn't give a gently caress about the cartoon having black green lantern because there was never an animated white green lantern to replace.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it's more the essential nostalgia that drives Romanticism. Those same people who cry bloody murder over a female link still play and enjoy Okami. People who got unreasonably angry about Snake being replaced by Raiden don't really care that Mirror's Edge has a leading lady. They want their games to remain unchanged from how they remember those games when they first played them and swapping main characters or changing their race/gender threatens the idealized memory.

Also see how mad Green Lantern fans got when their white main character dude got replaced with another less boring white main character dude. Then whined and moaned and complained about it for over a decade until it was reversed. Those same people mostly didn't give a gently caress about the cartoon having black green lantern because there was never an animated white green lantern to replace.

Counterpoint: the furor over Mafia 3 having a black protagonist when nobody ever gave a poo poo about the Mafia series. Your examples, like Raiden and John Steward, also predate That Internet Movement We Need To Pretend We Aren't Talking About, which has been a focusing force for the sentiments I'm talking about. Nobody cared when San Andreas had a black protagonist, or when Mirror's Edge had a female protagonist, because white male gamer hegemony wasn't a cause yet. Nobody had told them they should feel threatened by those things, so they weren't.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

Counterpoint: the furor over Mafia 3 having a black protagonist when nobody ever gave a poo poo about the Mafia series. Your examples, like Raiden and John Steward, also predate That Internet Movement We Need To Pretend We Aren't Talking About, which has been a focusing force for the sentiments I'm talking about. Nobody cared when San Andreas had a black protagonist, or when Mirror's Edge had a female protagonist, because white male gamer hegemony wasn't a cause yet. Nobody had told them they should feel threatened by those things, so they weren't.
I guess I was talking actual large market forces, rather than just angry people on twitter who were going to pirate the game anyways. Gaimen Gurt sometimes lines up with the main consumer zeitgeist but I really don't put much stock in it actually being representative. Most white men aren't a part of come hegemony because most of them don't follow twitter drama as much as we do on SA.

For a more modern example the "not castlevania" revival Bloodstained has a female protagonist and no one seems to care. Though there is always the possibility that metroidvania fans are good people (tm) while megaman fans are gators.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's because Castlevania fans know exactly what they want: more Symphony of the Night. Megaman fans are all over the place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

Yeah I should have been clearer, what gets them loving livid is any move to less sexualized female characters, or even the suggestion thereof. There aren't any notable controversies over female protagonists in games because games don't have female protagonists. And I gotta disagree with the section I bolded in Kay's post; if the shift is in the opposite direction only the absolute "purist" faction gets unhappy. See: Cortana.

EDIT: Also, for anybody looking to take Jack Gladney's bait, that's not a fight you're gonna win here. You'll never out-So-Not-A-Nerd him.

Not everyone who plays video games. Just reactionaries who try to ruin people's lives over video games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DStecks posted:

oh no, people DEFINITELY cared that GTA:SA had a black protagonist

evidence: the buttboatload of mods making CJ white

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alaois posted:

oh no, people DEFINITELY cared that GTA:SA had a black protagonist

evidence: the buttboatload of mods making CJ white

I know about those mods, but were they ever that big of a thing outside a tiny circle? (Not asking rhetorically, I genuinely don't know how widespread they actually were, my perception was that only a tiny percentage of people cared that much.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DStecks posted:

I know about those mods, but were they ever that big of a thing outside a tiny circle? (Not asking rhetorically, I genuinely don't know how widespread they actually were, my perception was that only a tiny percentage of people cared that much.)

the mods may not have been widespread but I do definitely remember a lot of kvetching about CJ, because white middle class nerds couldn't possibly be expected to relate to GANGSTAS

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kay Kessler posted:

It's less about the female protagonists themselves, specifically, and more what they represent. You're in big trouble if there's the slightest whiff of a ~political agenda~ around your decision to make the main character a lady. That changes it from incidental detail to SJDUB CONSPIRACY TO INSERT FEMINISMS INTO MAH VIDYAS :byodood:. You can take steps to safeguard yourself by making her a generic Cool Badass Butt Kicker and giving her big tits.

Though if you forget to do that last thing, don't worry, someone else will come along and fix that for you.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 20, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

About at much of the market as people who mod out the female units in total war games today.

edit: which is to say significantly fewer than those heretics who mod out floppy hats.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 20, 2016

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

lornekates posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU

And as Ross says-- it's a game that's been reviewed by literally everyone-- but he has something new to say about it.

And he does.

Wow.

Ross is probably my favourite game crtitic... reviwer.... analyst... whatever it is called. His choice of games is almost always kinda obscure and really interesting. I haven't watched Freeman's Mind yet, though. Does it hold up?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tarquinn posted:

Ross is probably my favourite game crtitic... reviwer.... analyst... whatever it is called. His choice of games is almost always kinda obscure and really interesting. I haven't watched Freeman's Mind yet, though. Does it hold up?

Yes, it absolutely does. Thing is, Gordon Freeman is a scientist, so Ross plays him up as this complete rear end in a top hat who knows how smart he is (and Ross understands science enough to prove it with his performance), but who is also a sociopath who is slowly losing his mind. "Now to loot these dead bodies, because that's how I roll." A lot of Ross's weirder comments about game design also pop up, like theorizing that Black Mesa is actually collapsing because millions of Xen creatures are actually teleporting into solid rock and the base's foundations by accident.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, for Saturday's video, I join the thousands talking about Stranger Things. I just happen to be less enthusiastic about it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So I just watched Cinema Snob's review on the deeply dubiously titled The Buttercream Gang. It was full of editing glitches. Did he...just...not check for glitches before he uploaded?
I liked the review well enough although a lot of the jokes were low hanging fruit.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Infamous Sphere posted:

So I just watched Cinema Snob's review on the deeply dubiously titled The Buttercream Gang. It was full of editing glitches. Did he...just...not check for glitches before he uploaded?
I liked the review well enough although a lot of the jokes were low hanging fruit.

Having grown up in the 'wonderful' circles of evangelicals who obsess over ' worldliness' in everything and this is half the poo poo you get to watch as an 11y/o, watching it be the butt of all the jokes I made back then was cathartic if nothing else.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Playstation 4 posted:

Having grown up in the 'wonderful' circles of evangelicals who obsess over ' worldliness' in everything and this is half the poo poo you get to watch as an 11y/o, watching it be the butt of all the jokes I made back then was cathartic if nothing else.

Oh yeah, I'm sure if you were familiar with it, it would be very satisfying to see it most viciously ridiculed. The name buttercream gang is indeed loving stupid - did they ever explain why they were called that? Did they make icing to save some old grandma's bake sale or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DStecks posted:

Counterpoint: the furor over Mafia 3 having a black protagonist when nobody ever gave a poo poo about the Mafia series.

Gonna have to stop you there cause the Mafia games were good fun. :colbert:

• Locked thread