Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Fury- Er, Smite's effect is that it nullifies any enemy skills or abilities that would normally make them immune to debuffs. You could do it with anyone with that spirit, but Leona is best suited for it since if you're fielding Rai at all you're probably just going to be combining into SRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yo, thanks for these. Dragging along my super low level Kushua as a Spirit monkey, throwing Dishearten around a lot, and ending the turn right after he buffs himself got me through it with no trouble whatsoever. Probably would've been even better if I had remembered to drag an armor breaker. Whoops.

What's so special about Leona/Rai for that weapon though?

Basically the spell Smite breaks through special defenses, including the pilot/unit skill that prevents status effect weapons from using.

Only a few people have Smite and most of them are either unit locked, effectively unit locked, or can't equip Armor Breaker. Leona is one of the few pilots who learns it naturally and doesn't have a better thing to do.

You can also just give it to anyone and pair them with Fiona but that's kind of an excessive amount of SP for that. A few units also have built-in Armor Breaker on skills (the SRX's finisher for example) but it's a lower level than the Armor Breaker weapon (level 2 instead of level 3.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, okay. I'll keep that in mind for the next go round. Which I'm starting right now for a full SR point run and to catch the routes I didn't pick the first time. :v:

My final top killers was a bit of an odd one:

Basically the first thing I did when I got the Gespenst Haken was throw Latooni in it and max it out and rode that unhittable train all the way to the bank. I used her a lot, but soloing two endgame maps does wonders for kill counts. After that was Haken, Calvina, and Ing. None but Calvina in their default units because I'm dumb and love messing with suit assignments. :downs:

Still, MD was amazing. I've loved SRW since forever, but my own personal lack of language skills has kept me from delving deep into them because of the language barrier, so I've only played translated stuff and read what I could. Really chomping at the bit for the next game now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was thinking about switching suits around but I really don't know much about who should go where. So far all I've done is throw Josh into the Fortegigas and I can't remember who off the top of my head but someone went into the Garmraid Blaze. Anyone have any standout recommendations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I was thinking about switching suits around but I really don't know much about who should go where. So far all I've done is throw Josh into the Fortegigas and I can't remember who off the top of my head but someone went into the Garmraid Blaze. Anyone have any standout recommendations?

Generally:

The Gespenst Haken is good for Haken but it's also good for pretty much anyone who focuses on melee attacks, while Haken can hop into one of the spare Shadow Mirror mecha so it's actually worthwhile to swap him out. Kai is probably the mechanically optimal choice but there are very few bad choices.

The Grungust Type-3 is incredibly powerful and a fantastic choice for slotting in some of the MP Gespenst pilots you get. Russel or Radha make fantastic back-seaters while the front seat is a great choice for Katina or one of your lesser Psychics. I recommend Russell and Katina. Katina has a great skillset for it and her ace bonus powers up red mecha and Russell's super-cheap Iron Wall compensates for her weaknesses and makes the Grungust Type-3 basically unkillable.

The Vysaga is a very solid machine and generally worth giving to either Lamia or Haken. It can also go to Axel but frankly the Soulgain is so goddamn good you shouldn't be swapping Axel out.

The Grungust Type-2 is a solid choice for Tasuku. An important thing to note about the Giganscudo is that it has no psychic requirements and thus is a very good unit for a non-psychic pilot. (Again, Katina or Kai top the list here.) Moving Tasuku into a Grungust Type-2 or Type-3 lets him benefit from his Psychic powers while freeing up his unit for someone who needs a better one.

Most pilots are best in the unit they begin with but anyone who begins in a Gespenst probably can benefit from moving to something else.

Edit:
Latooni should be piloting the Fairlion as soon as you get it unless you plan to not deploy Shine. Even then the Fairlion is an incredibly good unit for her due to being almost unhittable.

Anyone with a combo attack should never be moved out of their default unit. The one big exception to this is probably Mai as the ART-1/R-1 combo attack isn't worth keeping Mai out of a better unit than the ART-1.

Anyone with a pilot-locked unit (Gilliam's RV or the Ryukooh for example) probably should remain in that unit or else you're benching a good unit for no reason. Almost every pilot-locked unit is the optimal choice for that character.

If you are not going to use Ing Wish then give his Exexbein to the best psychic you have who doesn't have a good unit. This is probably Leona or Mai. Exexbein is incredibly strong.

Hugo and Aqua can pilot both the Cerberus and Garmried and both are perfectly usable, choose whichever flavor you prefer more.

Fortegigas is a significantly better unit than Aile Chevaier but requires you to put either Rim or Glacias in the subpilot seat so you lose access to at least one of their robots. In the long run this is better for you but it's worth keeping in mind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 20, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have to admit it's great to see they've actually expanded on pilot swappable mecha, to the point where they handwaved a pseudo T-Link system for non psychics so I can put Katina in the Red Punchbien like God intended.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Geant Chevalier was ridiculously nerfed in this game, it's crazy. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock its first post-move attack to 120 Will?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really like Carla in the Giganscudo and using Unison with someone like Kyosuke.

The rest of my pilot swaps are just for funsies. It's too bad you lose some cutins on some swaps with their finishers, like Hakens or the ExBein.

BlitzBlast posted:

The Geant Chevalier was ridiculously nerfed in this game, it's crazy. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock its first post-move attack to 120 Will?
Probably the same people who will nerf Bellezute into the ground next game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sakura Wars 1 (PS2) stream going up shortly!

edit stream over, and a special thanks to viewer Daim Patom

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 20, 2016

Petridish
May 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the spell Smite breaks through special defenses, including the pilot/unit skill that prevents status effect weapons from using.

Only a few people have Smite and most of them are either unit locked, effectively unit locked, or can't equip Armor Breaker. Leona is one of the few pilots who learns it naturally and doesn't have a better thing to do.

You can also just give it to anyone and pair them with Fiona but that's kind of an excessive amount of SP for that. A few units also have built-in Armor Breaker on skills (the SRX's finisher for example) but it's a lower level than the Armor Breaker weapon (level 2 instead of level 3.)

So I'm around episode 24 and I still don't have the Armor Breaker weapon. Did I miss it from a previous stage or do I get it sometime later? Also I always have to use Strike in order to hit bosses, otherwise my accuracy is always around ~0-14%, is this normal?

I hate moving Josh from Alie Chevalier to Fortegigas, I know Fortegigas is better, but Alie Chevalier looks so freakin cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Petridish posted:

So I'm around episode 24 and I still don't have the Armor Breaker weapon. Did I miss it from a previous stage or do I get it sometime later? Also I always have to use Strike in order to hit bosses, otherwise my accuracy is always around ~0-14%, is this normal?

I hate moving Josh from Alie Chevalier to Fortegigas, I know Fortegigas is better, but Alie Chevalier looks so freakin cool

It shows up relatively late in the game but it's automatically given to you so don't worry.

It's fairly common for bosses to have extremely high dodge rates. Your options are to use anything that reduces their mobility (Spider-Net in this case) or to use Strike or Inspire. Alfimi is a must-deploy in a lot of stages because she has cheap inspire AND SP regen.

However an important thing to keep an eye on for several bosses: Bosses benefit from terrain too. If a boss is sitting on something that aids them, try to bait them off it so you're not dealing with a boss with extra-inflated stats.

If you REALLY want to use Cheavlier, remember you can remove the heavy armor frame and use the default suit. It's not as good but until later in the game it's actually better for him than his upgraded mech.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

The Raid twin command does Smite too as well as Accel and making all attacks P so you can use Raid and then fly in with an armour breaker post movement! I remembered this after spending all my SP on Leona for Smite + Strike + Quicken and then Impetus on Ryoto so she could go again after getting into position!

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

The Raid twin command does Smite too as well as Accel and making all attacks P so you can use Raid and then fly in with an armour breaker post movement! I remembered this after spending all my SP on Leona for Smite + Strike + Quicken and then Impetus on Ryoto so she could go again after getting into position!

That is true, I didn't think to mention it for basically the same reason as Fiona: It's a lot of SP to spend on that specific thing, but it's totally a viable option.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Chevalier does fine behind Seolla/Falken fwiw. Move Arad up when you want to use the Chevalier P finishers and let TBS do its work from behind. Hopefully you'll ace Josh in time to deal with Arad/Seolla's ace problems? Not that far yet.

Just hoops. Still a dumb nerf IMO. I hate the Forte animations so I use Chevalier.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

That is true, I didn't think to mention it for basically the same reason as Fiona: It's a lot of SP to spend on that specific thing, but it's totally a viable option.

I think it's worth thinking about more than Fiona's thing if only because it means you can use two status missiles with that attack if the other person in the twin has one too. Being able to Armour Breaker + Weapon Brealer/Spider Net/Chaff Grenade/Mind Blast/EN Drain etc can be pretty nice. It's also 25P x2 for 30SP worth of Spells on Leona alone so spending an extra 15 overall for someone else to be able to Smite AND do it post-movement if they weren't in the best position in the first place can be extremely useful.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 20, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What are Arado and Seolla's "ace problems"?

Akurasu says these are their ace bonuses:
Arado - If Seolla is on the map, initial will +15.
Seolla - If Arado is on the map, at the start of player phase, will +5.

I guess they're kinda weak but they don't take any real setup unlike some others. Is the translation wrong?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GimmickMan posted:

What are Arado and Seolla's "ace problems"?

Akurasu says these are their ace bonuses:
Arado - If Seolla is on the map, initial will +15.
Seolla - If Arado is on the map, at the start of player phase, will +5.

I guess they're kinda weak but they don't take any real setup unlike some others. Is the translation wrong?

It's wrong. They have to be in the same twin. Arado starting with 125 Will isn't exciting but its' really strong. 130 if you have resolve!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SRW3: Can the Nahel Argama not be upgraded? I thought you could for some reason but it doesn't appear in the upgrade menu.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

It's wrong. They have to be in the same twin. Arado starting with 125 Will isn't exciting but its' really strong. 130 if you have resolve!

That's garbage and I'm probably going to ignore the bonus exists then, because Will comes easy but incompatible mechs in a twin are always a pain.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bah, my copy arrived today, but we were out shopping so they left the slip that says 'we missed you'. I have to wait to pick it up after work on monday.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GimmickMan posted:

That's garbage and I'm probably going to ignore the bonus exists then, because Will comes easy but incompatible mechs in a twin are always a pain.

Yup. You can try to avoid a wasted turn by moving the twin that contains the old partners next to them and then next turn splitting and recombining into the regular combos but that's still a lot of clicks for not much gain.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually the best thing to put in front of Josh/Chevalier or Granteed is Trombe. It and Ratsel have everything they need. Hit and away, long range attack and all attack, and 1 range P move finishers with or without Zengar nearby.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Question for NG+ stuff - are the carryovers cumulative, or based just on the most recent playthrough?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so

what the heck are the Lamalice anyway

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyra_Solune posted:

so

Something that should have been a gimmick in like one, maybe two stages tops, but instead were in like fifteen stages straight.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyra_Solune posted:

so

The feelings of people mad at vidya games

and anime

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Rascyc posted:

The feelings of people mad at vidya games

and anime

what happens if i am mad at this anime vidya for including them

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Question for NG+ stuff - are the carryovers cumulative, or based just on the most recent playthrough?

I believe it works like this: in your 2nd playthrogh you carry over 50% and then that 50% is included in that playthrough's stuff for when you do the next one. So you get 50% of first playthrough, then 75% of that 50%+2nd, 100% of that 75%+third playthrough.

Eg: for money say you got 20 million first playthrough, that becomes 10 million at the start of the second. You earn 20 million again so next play through is 75% of 30 million, and so on.

GilliamYaeger posted:

what happens if i am mad at this anime vidya for including them

Now you are a baal. Maybe. Hopefully we'll get more info or explanation on them next game? Or maybe not? I think I'm more interested in the mystery for mystery's sake rather than the actual things themselves.

And I hope Skull Knight is ok

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

I believe it works like this: in your 2nd playthrogh you carry over 50% and then that 50% is included in that playthrough's stuff for when you do the next one. So you get 50% of first playthrough, then 75% of that 50%+2nd, 100% of that 75%+third playthrough.

Eg: for money say you got 20 million first playthrough, that becomes 10 million at the start of the second. You earn 20 million again so next play through is 75% of 30 million, and so on.

Ah, so it is cumulative, okay. It does say at the start that it gives 25% for NG+, 50% for NG++, 75% for NG+++, and 100% for NG++++ and beyond.

Also holy poo poo gently caress the SR Point where you have to kill 15 enemies in two turns.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Ah, so it is cumulative, okay. It does say at the start that it gives 25% for NG+, 50% for NG++, 75% for NG+++, and 100% for NG++++ and beyond.

Also holy poo poo gently caress the SR Point where you have to kill 15 enemies in two turns.

Oh ok! Shift the numbers over to be the right ones. I think 2ndOG was 50% right away maybe? Whatever it is you do definitely end up with more and more money every time forever afaik.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Elzam, Calvina and Kyosuke are my aces in the mid game. Kyosuke is my sleeper hit. Paired with Hugo and Garmraid, I basically have them chain attacking straight across the map since they have similar ranges. Same with Elzam and Josh. I love spamming chain attack.

As much as I love the opened units, the voice acting in them with alternate pilots can be a bit lacking. I'm just putting pilots in mechs where they say cool things but everyone seems to only have one line for each attack. I guess it's to be expected.

Still hate the flickerei. Still looking for a unit for Arrierre where she speaks more. Type 3 is the best I got so far where she will speak her full name after using the finisher.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So apparently boss AI won't use MAPs if there are enemy units in range.

That might be useful to know if you're having issues with the last few bosses.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

BlitzBlast posted:

BETA attack patterns confirmed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, huh. That explains why the last boss never actually used it. I wondered about that.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Speaking of last boss stuff, when I did him, he targeted Rishu with every single attack. Was that because he was the only unit adjacent to him or did Rishu just get really unlucky?

Also worth noting that he survived the fight! I think he had 200 hp when I killed the boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wow they made even more R original mechs? What is their obsession there when we already two good ones that I'd love to use again..

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rascyc posted:

Elzam, Calvina and Kyosuke are my aces in the mid game. Kyosuke is my sleeper hit. Paired with Hugo and Garmraid, I basically have them chain attacking straight across the map since they have similar ranges. Same with Elzam and Josh. I love spamming chain attack.

As much as I love the opened units, the voice acting in them with alternate pilots can be a bit lacking. I'm just putting pilots in mechs where they say cool things but everyone seems to only have one line for each attack. I guess it's to be expected.

Still hate the flickerei. Still looking for a unit for Arrierre where she speaks more. Type 3 is the best I got so far where she will speak her full name after using the finisher.

The answer to the one line per attack thing is just to swap people around even more! I'll definitely have to check out Arierre in the Type 3 though.

Edit: Just started NG+ and they went back to individual PP carryover like the other games instead of the pool and split of 2ndOG. I was counting on that to help out the garbage dudes!

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Couple of questions

1) What am I supposed to do again with taking down bosses? I did Stage 21 where you have to fight the three bosses at once and I figured I could get the SR point by using Maximum Break and even only a few hundred above the retreat mark I was still well off by a few thousand. I see Smite exists and apparently bypasses barriers, and there are attacks that break through barriers. Is there anything else I can do to help cut down on the defenses?

2) Do special skills stack/carry over for sub pilots? I'm looking at Compati Kaiser and I just got Continuous Action for Kohta, but I see Shoko is also considered part of that mech so if I get her Hit & Away will it register that skill even with Kohta as main pilot?

3) Did anyone ever redeem that dynamic theme? I'm really curious to see what it is but I don't want to make a Singaporean PSN account just to try.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Couple of questions

1) What am I supposed to do again with taking down bosses? I did Stage 21 where you have to fight the three bosses at once and I figured I could get the SR point by using Maximum Break and even only a few hundred above the retreat mark I was still well off by a few thousand. I see Smite exists and apparently bypasses barriers, and there are attacks that break through barriers. Is there anything else I can do to help cut down on the defenses?

2) Do special skills stack/carry over for sub pilots? I'm looking at Compati Kaiser and I just got Continuous Action for Kohta, but I see Shoko is also considered part of that mech so if I get her Hit & Away will it register that skill even with Kohta as main pilot?

3) Did anyone ever redeem that dynamic theme? I'm really curious to see what it is but I don't want to make a Singaporean PSN account just to try.

1)
Check to see if the boss has Robot or Full Block. If not use something that breaks armor. Geant Chevalier and SRX both have an attack that does as well as the Armor Breaker item. If someone has Smite or Raid they can use it to break Full Block and apply the armor break to the enemy anyway.
Use the Twin Spell Militate which assures a critical hit. Critical hits do a LOT of damage.
Surround the enemy to gain a bonus.
Reduce the enemy's morale with Dishearten
Barrier penetrate and barrier ignore are different things. Barrier penetrate reduces but does not ignore. All unite attacks ignore barriers by default which can be very useful.
Speaking of Unite Attacks: Do not pair the Unite Attackers together. That way you can use unite attacks in Maximum Break.
Be careful that the enemy is not standing on a tile that grants improved defenses. If they are move them off it ASAP by baiting them away.
Remember that most enemies have Prevail and so their stats go up as they get low HP.

2) The only skills that matter for sub-pilots are SP related or the PP/EXP boost ones, unless you decombine and recombine them. For someone like Shoko it isn't worth giving them an extra action instead of more SP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The surround bonus is really big, I think it's 15% for being surrounded on all four sides? 5% for two, 10% for 3 and 15% for four?

Try to finagle Love relationship adjacency bonuses whenever you can. I think Kyosuke/Excellen and Arado/Seolla are the main ones to consider..

ImpAtom posted:

Barrier penetrate and barrier ignore are different things. Barrier penetrate reduces but does not ignore. All unite attacks ignore barriers by default which can be very useful.

I did wonder what the difference was. Is there a particular number or percentage on Barrier Penetrate?

• Locked thread