Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're wondering what Alex Hirsch is up to after Gravity Falls, well...

He's co-writing the live-action movie based on the Pokemon spinoff game Detective PIkachu.

Ok now my intrest in that went from a 3 to a 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nothing says quality like a live action adaptation of a children's anime

at least take the gen urobichi route and make 70s tokusatsu or weird chinese puppet shows

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Y-Hat posted:

Getting Danny DeVito in a Pikachu costume for a live-action Detective Pikachu will make me imagine it's an Always Sunny set-up. I must have it!

Didn't they do a whole Gumball episode based on The Last Of Us?

It wasn't a whole episode, Gumball just has a short sequence where he freaks out about the exact scenario of the game happening while Darwin mimics a clicking fungus zombie.

I've always wondered if the PoV sequences in early episode The Ghost were homages to Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So from the shorts, Mighty Magiswords feels a bit like early Adventure Time, but more grounded and with a slight D&D coat of paint.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'm amazed that they didn't get a lawsuit over the character designs. The girl is straight up Lina Inverse but blue.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just saw a comic that surprised me - a new Dangermouse Magazine has been released in the UK. That show's like, 50 years old by now, surprised it's still profitable. Although something amusing I thought of - Penfold could theoretically be a better shot than Danger Mouse if he was given the proper training and field experience. Penfold wears glasses and has bad eyesight, sure, but DangerMouse has one eye. The eyepatch is purely cosmetic to hide the socket/deformity. Penfold wears glasses. They correct his vision, negating his disadvantage. DangerMouse is stuck with one eye and no depth perception forever.

More seriously, previous point was a joke: DangerMouse has been shown to be a bad Pilot, he's always bouncing the flying car after Penfold asks him not to. He's gonna wreck the axles, at least let Penfold have a go flying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

Just saw a comic that surprised me - a new Dangermouse Magazine has been released in the UK. That show's like, 50 years old by now, surprised it's still profitable. Although something amusing I thought of - Penfold could theoretically be a better shot than Danger Mouse if he was given the proper training and field experience. Penfold wears glasses and has bad eyesight, sure, but DangerMouse has one eye. The eyepatch is purely cosmetic to hide the socket/deformity. Penfold wears glasses. They correct his vision, negating his disadvantage. DangerMouse is stuck with one eye and no depth perception forever.

More seriously, previous point was a joke: DangerMouse has been shown to be a bad Pilot, he's always bouncing the flying car after Penfold asks him not to. He's gonna wreck the axles, at least let Penfold have a go flying.

They recently made a new series, that's why

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ok, never heard about that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, forget MGS, Gumball had a Requiem for a Dream reference :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh God, the episode of Gumball on now, by elimination the one with the anime sequence.

"Additional Animation by Studio 4C"

This gonna be good.

Edit: gently caress

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Just watched the gumball episode and no one told me there was gonna be a brief pikmin 3 reference

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvks9zNnNHc

Is this the scene you guys are referencing cause holy poo poo :aaa:

edit: I don't keep up with Gumball that much simply because it's not an ongoing narrative like Steven Universe or Gravity Falls is, but anytime I see anything from it it's great. The entire sequence where Gumball and his mom are trying to get to their dad to stop him from delivering the pizza so that the universe won't collapse in on itself is pretty incredible

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm a bun, I'm a bun
I'm a tasty tasty bun
To be baked and eaten whole
How fun!
You can have me with your breakfast
Have me with your brunch
You can have me with your dinner
You can have me with your lunch
I'm a bun, I'm a bun
I'm a tasty tasty bun
To be baked and eaten whole
HOW FUN!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

that scene wasn't very well animated or paced to be honest

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Gumball has some wild premise, right? Can someone give me the low-down?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's about a cat and his fishbrother getting into trouble. Just normal stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvks9zNnNHc

Is this the scene you guys are referencing cause holy poo poo :aaa:

edit: I don't keep up with Gumball that much simply because it's not an ongoing narrative like Steven Universe or Gravity Falls is, but anytime I see anything from it it's great. The entire sequence where Gumball and his mom are trying to get to their dad to stop him from delivering the pizza so that the universe won't collapse in on itself is pretty incredible

I wonder how much of that was a reference to the guy who raised thousands of dollars of Patreon to make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ10lwZYtM0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The premise of Gumball is that a guy named Ben Bocquelet had a bunch of unused character designs from rejected commercial pitches lying around and he wanted to do something with them, so he put a bunch of them in front of a school background and went "Yeah, that's cool" and pitched it to Cartoon Network.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, there's no real premise.

There's quite a few Seinfeld homages with all of the episode titles being "The _____" and having a (season) finale episode called The Finale which is heavily inspired by Seinfeld's, so, uh, it's about nothing, I guess?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't watching Gumball you should because it is amazing and somehow seems to get better every season. If CN didn't already have the high bar if AT and SU, it'd easily be the best show on the network.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

that scene wasn't very well animated or paced to be honest

I think that was maybe the point? But yeah I kinda agree.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just appreciate that it exists.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the scene was funny and cool :shrug:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

axleblaze posted:

If you aren't watching Gumball you should because it is amazing and somehow seems to get better every season. If CN didn't already have the high bar if AT and SU, it'd easily be the best show on the network.

It's really crazy how long a shadow is cast by AT and SU, as Gumball is really good and doesn't get too much play across the internet, while everyone would be making GBS threads their pants about it if it had hit between Chowder/Flapjack and Adventure Time/Regular Show

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axleblaze posted:

I like it whenever I see it, but I never feel any desire to actively seek it out. Then again, I can't actually remember the last time I turned to CN to watch something in particular.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, Gumball has the misfortune of always being the second-best show on the network, first in the shadow of Adventure Time and now Steven Universe.

Also I think adult cartoon fans are fixated on shows with deep lore and mysteries and so continuity-light Gumball gets kinda ignored.

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I think that was maybe the point? But yeah I kinda agree.

A previous episode of Gumball involved intetentionally janky Speed Racer-style animation, I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was supposed to have intentionally janky modern anime-style animation.

e: i like how they do the cliche "opponents facing away from each after a big hit" moment right after a gigantic explosion, so the smoke just disappears in the space of a single cut

Cobalt Zeroni fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 20, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not really a show, but I always thought that the Disney's Descendants movie was approaching the story from the wrong angle. The main characters are Teenagers, stuck in a ghetto island due to the actions of their terrible parents - why would they want to be anything like their parents? Teenagers are all about rebelling, and their parents give them a drat good reason - because of their villainy they were screwed from before they were born, and not one of them resents them for it? The route they took with "Baby" Jafar/Maleficent et al was the most boring one they could have picked.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So Descendants is a lovely Disney version of Runaways?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

A previous episode of Gumball involved intetentionally janky Speed Racer-style animation, I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was supposed have intentionally janky modern anime-style animation.

e: i like how they do the cliche "opponents facing away from each after a big hit" moment right after a gigantic explosion, so the smoke just disappears in the space of a single cut

Oh yeah I still liked it don't get me wrong, I just agreed that it seemed like it could've been animated better.

All the cliches it hit were perfect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

So Descendants is a lovely Disney version of Runaways?

No, that's the problem. They're all exactly like their parents but more homogenised.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I actually really liked the manga flashback bit just before the fight - it looked exactly, I mean, down to the head shape, like early Dragon Ball.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Jack Riley, who voiced Uncle Stu on the Rugrats has passed away
http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-jack-riley-bob-newhart-patient-and-rugrats-dad-241406

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Gumball is really good, it just gets ignored by adults on the internet because there's not enough complex lore or attractive couples to ship

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I enjoyed what I saw but I was reluctant to binge it because I heard it started with an overreliance on bad jokes like the Gross-Out Humour of chin girl (failing to) eat or constantly vomiting.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Gumball is really good, it just gets ignored by adults on the internet because there's not enough complex lore or attractive couples to ship

I've heard a lot about gumball on this forum, presumably there's subreddits and stuff devoted to it. While I think the show is mostly good I can see why people wouldn't be into it. Personally I can't watch more than a few episodes at a time, mainly because like you said there is no "complex lore" AKA story to keep you coming back. I don't engage with the show past the goofy bits, which is totally cool and enjoyable, but I sometimes need more story and character development.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He's lost control of his life.

this is the worst post i've ever made

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked that they actually got a Japanese studio to do the fighting segments than trying to do a lovely facsimile of the style like most shows do that are based on conceptions of it that are more than two decades out of date (a la Futurama's parody). It's not top-of-the-line animation but it's reflective of the standard for contemporary TV anime, which kids watching online would more easily recognize stylistically.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gumball is a great series and it's lack of lore makes it even better rerun fodder so it can be slotted in wherever like TTG or even Clarence (sorta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pakled posted:

Yeah, Gumball has the misfortune of always being the second-best show on the network, first in the shadow of Adventure Time and now Steven Universe.

Also I think adult cartoon fans are fixated on shows with deep lore and mysteries and so continuity-light Gumball gets kinda ignored.

Yeah like I said I've loved what I've seen of Gumball but that reason is why I don't ever go out of my way to keep up with it. The same can be said for Star vs The Forces of Evil/Wander Over Yonder/We Bare Bears. All 3 of those shows I've seen episodes of and I've loved them but there isn't very much story at all so I don't keep up with it the same way I do SU (even though SU has plenty of self contained episodes). I'm glad things like We Bare Bears and Gumball are still thriving though because they are good.

I haven't watched Adventure Time in a really long time. I kind of want to watch that Stakes thing they did with Marceline but I lost a lot of interest in the show after a while. I loved all the backstory stuff they did with the mushroom war and the Ice King and Marceline and stuff but there was a point where the show just kind of... I dunno I don't want to say it got up its own rear end but something similar. Also they dragged out Finn being a sadsack over Flame Princess for FAR too long. LSP and BMO are still the greatest though.