Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That's another point that drags OW down for me: I'm being matched with people who are so far beyond my level in QP that I might as well just sit in spawn and blow bubbles with my spit.

I just want to play fun shootmans and pretty dressup, but when the matchmaker decides that I'm apparently ready to take on someone who's ranked ~70 as an unranked player, I get a bit salty and frustrated.

...then I go play Crypt of the Necrodancer and my chill is restored.

Games that don't have any kind of skill balancing in the match making make me sad. I've started playing Gundam Online and it's fun as hell, but sometimes it just stacks all the good players on one team. At least those matches are usually really short and over within five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

That's another point that drags OW down for me: I'm being matched with people who are so far beyond my level in QP that I might as well just sit in spawn and blow bubbles with my spit.

I just want to play fun shootmans and pretty dressup, but when the matchmaker decides that I'm apparently ready to take on someone who's ranked ~70 as an unranked player, I get a bit salty and frustrated.

... Once you stop doing everything to the beat, that is.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Some people are just naturally really good at Necrodancer and moving to the beat is natural and easy. :shrug:

I'm not and never will be so the game is super frustrating to me, but I know people that just breeze through it and never found it hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Some people are just naturally really good at Necrodancer and moving to the beat is natural and easy. :shrug:

I'm not and never will be so the game is super frustrating to me, but I know people that just breeze through it and never found it hard.
I found a retro remix of the music that made the beat more audible in the later levels where things get either quiet or drowned out by guitar. It helped. I'm pretty sure every level is on a 4/4 beat without too much difference in tempo.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I found a retro remix of the music that made the beat more audible in the later levels where things get either quiet or drowned out by guitar. It helped. I'm pretty sure every level is on a 4/4 beat without too much difference in tempo.

Spot on. Also I play with my own music usually so i knew the beats anyway.

Necrodancer gripe: the game doesn't recognize non -English characters, so no K-pop or Japanese soundtracks are usable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've never tried custom soundtracks in Necrodancer, in part because the music bundled in is so loving gooooooooooooood.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Necrodancer gripe: the game doesn't recognize non -English characters, so no K-pop or Japanese soundtracks are usable.

Huh, that sucks. I'm glad I transliterate the titles on all my music so I got to do Crypt of the Jpopdancer once. I find that custom music mostly just makes the game worse once the novelty wears off, though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel almost positive I've posted this exact complaint before, but I tried giving Outlast another shot, and it's still basically unplayable for me because they decided the player character's own arbitrarily panicked breathing was super duper important to the "experience" and needed to take up 90% of the soundspace.

All it needs is a Handicam selfie and a runny nose and you've got something just as grating as watching Blair Witch. Blegh. Can't even turn the sounds down. I want to like you, creepy horror game, but you were made by idiots. :smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know this game came out a million years ago and I haven't been playing the console iterations in forever so I don't know if this is an ongoing thing or what but it sucks poo poo that in Mario Kart 8 there don't appear to be any dedicated battle stages - you just battle on the racetracks, which is lovely and boring.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

I know this game came out a million years ago and I haven't been playing the console iterations in forever so I don't know if this is an ongoing thing or what but it sucks poo poo that in Mario Kart 8 there don't appear to be any dedicated battle stages - you just battle on the racetracks, which is lovely and boring.

It's crazy how Nintendo still manage to gently caress things up every time they release a new mariokart. Literally just remake mario kart 64 with new graphics and more maps, how hard can it be?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure every level is on a 4/4 beat without too much difference in tempo.
Gonna put this in the thread. I love the concept of Necrodancer and it's definitely fun (especially on pad, GREAT warmup for DDR as opposed to playing easy songs) but I do wish the rhythm game part were emphasized more. As is now, it feels like it's only there for the time pressure and they never really do anything interesting with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Biplane posted:

It's crazy how Nintendo still manage to gently caress things up every time they release a new mariokart. Literally just remake mario kart 64 with new graphics and more maps, how hard can it be?

Are you joking, people would hate that. Everyone already complains that Nintendo just releases the same thing over and over again.

That battle system, though - that's just a step back, straight-up. Definitely feels like the release was closing and they were like "Oh poo poo we don't have time to make these arenas!"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Stuntman posted:

Gonna put this in the thread. I love the concept of Necrodancer and it's definitely fun (especially on pad, GREAT warmup for DDR as opposed to playing easy songs) but I do wish the rhythm game part were emphasized more. As is now, it feels like it's only there for the time pressure and they never really do anything interesting with it.

It's too bad every boss doesn't have its own rhythm gimmick like King Konga. Death Metal's is just "it's fast" and the other two have nothing, at least as far as my negative understanding of music theory can tell.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stuntman posted:

It essentially just forces the player to keep making decisions under high pressure without letting them think through a tough situation. You have to learn enemy patterns really fast or else they'll kill you, you don't ever get more than a fraction of a second to stand still. Which is great roguelike design. I'm not sure you can make the rhythm portion that much more complex and still have a playable game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It essentially just forces the player to keep making decisions under high pressure without letting them think through a tough situation. You have to learn enemy patterns really fast or else they'll kill you, you don't ever get more than a fraction of a second to stand still. Which is great roguelike design. I'm not sure you can make the rhythm portion that much more complex and still have a playable game.

Yeah I agree with this. The fact that it's a light rhythm game and a light roguelike combined makes it work. If it got overly complex in one way or the other I think it would be too much to handle for a lot of people.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Even the trailer is far too much to handle for me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimworld: Occasionally you'll have someone asking for asylum, the obvious reward is getting a new colonist but you have to fight off their pursuers. The problem is that you can't see their stats or personalities before accepting or declining. So for all you know you took on dead weight, possibly taking in someone who refuses to do every labor besides growing plants who is depressed and pessimistic.

E: If you want entrance to safety you gotta pay the toll is all I'm saying

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Mobile Suit Gundam Online is really fun and for the most part manages to capture the feeling of the actual series. Most of the time you'll be playing as a terrible zaku puttering along and shooting lovely GMs until a Gundam just shows up and ruins your day. Then ruins a few more days before getting shot down. But one thing that keeps bothering me about is is the Commander system. Basically one person is picked to be the commander of the team and they're in charge of deploying your special ace units and extra respawn points among other things. A good commander can really swing the tide of battle while a bad one can just get you hosed over real good. Most matches my team loses has the commander deploying respawn points right next to spawn points we already have well secured and our ace units get dropped right into swarms of enemies who kill them in seconds, causing us to lose huge chunks of points. Good commanders will use ace units to distract the enemy and use spawn points to further progression towards the enemy bases so we can actually win.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Loot crate weapons have completely killed Black Ops 3, I thought it was bad before its 10 times worse now, like every lobby is filled with these people using these loving guns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Mario Kart battle mode has steadily declined in quality pretty much since MK64, and MK8's still stands out as :effort:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Balloon battle in double dash is great with 4 people.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Biplane posted:

MK64 was a huge disappointment. The karts felt slow, sluggish,. The 3D experience wasn't that fantastic. I wanted the speed and goofiness of the original. I briefly played Double Dash and that was pretty terrible, too. The only Mario Kart I've enjoyed since the original was the one on the DS. It wasn't great, but it was passable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So in keeping with the latest game I'm playing, Gundam Online, it has a meaningless promotion system. The more you win the higher your rank. It doesn't do much besides unlock a few cosmetics. However the more you lose, the more you get demoted. It really sucks because ultimately, you don't have much of a say in whether you win or lose. Games are 50v50 and unless you are really, really good then you alone can't really save a bad team determined to lose. Likewise even players worse than me can get way higher ranks just because they manage to go longer without hitting a losing streak. I'm totally just posting this because I'm disappointed they took my rank away after a round where the commander did literally nothing the whole time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems much too hard to find red mutagens in Witcher 3. I've played through the entire base game, I'm almost at the end of Heart of Stone, and I still haven't found enough lesser red mutagens to create three greater ones. Granted, I might have failed to pick up some, but still. Meanwhile, I have millions of blue and green mutagens. I realize +40% attack power is really useful, but it still seems out of whack.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For some reason the best place to farm them is at the Whale's Graveyard. An easy fix for this problem would be the option to recycle worthless monster-mutagens like the Wraiths.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing the Mr Robot phone game and it is pretty well written but because of the game's central conceit it can be kind of annoying to actually play. Basically you're just some random person who finds a phone outside of the F Society arcade and when you turn it on you accidentally reformat the SD card. Turns out it was Darlene's burner that she was supposed to use for the hack (the game is set in season 1) and so now she's forcing you, the player, to help out. Because the whole thing plays out through a fake messaging app it means that everything is on invisible timers that have to count down before you can continue so you have to play the game at it's pace, not your own.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For some reason the best place to farm them is at the Whale's Graveyard. An easy fix for this problem would be the option to recycle worthless monster-mutagens like the Wraiths.

I started Blood And Wine and got a greater red mutagen almost immediately, after killing Golyat at the very beginning. So, problem solved for me. But it's still really hard to get them other than in that one instance.

The Witcher III is really good otherwise, first time in a long time that I've bought an expansion for a game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's a formula or something in Blood and Wine to change mutagens' colours

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I found a Greater Green Mutagen in the first archespore nest I came across. Seems like Blood And Wine is indeed more generous with the mutagens. Also harder, archespores almost kicked my rear end.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

If the music gimmicks in Crypt of the Necrodancer were remotely any more complex, Aria would be impossible, as opposed to currently being extraordinarily difficult. Staying on beat with her is the relatively easy part; it's making four decisions every second and never getting hit that's the hard part.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Aria is a bit of an odd duck as it is. Making a set of story mode cutscenes exclusive to one of the hardest challenge modes in any game I've played seems like an insane way to spend your resources.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was always under the impression that Spelunky's controls were a bit more responsive than they are. I was expecting that you'd be able to walk off the side of ladders or press up and down to climb up or drop down ledges.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Can't help you with those first two but if by "drop down ledges" you mean go from being on top of a platform to hanging off the side of it, you can do that by holding down and crawling off the edge. Or at least you could in the original, I haven't played the new version since I can't get past how awful it looks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HMS Boromir posted:

Aria is a bit of an odd duck as it is. Making a set of story mode cutscenes exclusive to one of the hardest challenge modes in any game I've played seems like an insane way to spend your resources.

She's honestly not all that difficult. If you've managed to get as far as to unlock her, you can probably beat it with her, given some time and practice. The oddest thing about her, in my opinion, is how her difficulty goes from being "extremely difficult", since you start in the last zone, to being just "hard" as you move down towards the earlier zones, to "insane" as you reach the final boss with her.

I think I used the training room to practice the final boss until I could beat him three times in a row with just the starting gear before I tried for the final all floors clear.

Edit: I must say I do like games that actually incorporate difficult challenges into the story itself, gives you something to aim for for a long time without being just a "challenge mode". Personal opinion, of course, and I'm sure there are many that'd disagree with me.

Broken Cog has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Aug 20, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Broken Cog posted:

She's honestly not all that difficult. If you've managed to get as far as to unlock her, you can probably beat it with her, given some time and practice.

I really don't think that's true. I can beat the game with Cadence pretty regularly and my one playthrough as Melody to unlock Aria took only a couple of tries, wheres it took me over a hundred to beat even one zone as Aria. Melody is more of a side step than a difficulty ramp so it doesn't really do anything to prepare you for Aria.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

HMS Boromir posted:

Making a set of story mode cutscenes exclusive to one of the hardest challenge modes in any game I've played seems like an insane way to spend your resources.

This exact kind of thing became an annoyance in WoW also, where they started attaching extra fights and actual big story scenes to doing raids on Mythic, which is the 'Repeated kicks in the groin difficulty', at least when said Mythic content is the current stuff.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just started playing Overwatch and there must not have been many new players on at the same time because I keep getting into games where everyone is like 50 levels or more higher than me. However it's not so bad since my teammates are all similarly-levelled as well. I also managed to get my first Play of the Game in such a match which surprised the crap out of me. I've been playing Mei though; she doesn't seem to depend on raw shootmans skill like a bunch of the others and can be perfectly useful if you just spam ice walls in useful places. I think if I was playing any of the offensive characters that I'd be banging my head against the wall.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A thing that's been bugging me in Overwatch is that nobody wants to be support. It isn't too big a problem because I like the healers but goddamn sometimes I just want to shoot mans with grenades.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Len posted:

A thing that's been bugging me in Overwatch is that nobody wants to be support. It isn't too big a problem because I like the healers but goddamn sometimes I just want to shoot mans with grenades.

I play support. Teamwork is fun, but you rarelly find people that enjoy teamwork. Most people seems to play for persona objetives or personal task, they don't think about the team success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Len posted:

I generally play one of the tanks or Symmetra but I'll switch to Lucio if no-one else picks a healer. The capture and hold maps I find a healer is less crucial so on those I just play whoever I want to play at the time. I have once been in a team where the opposite happened, 4 people picked healers on attack in Kings Row and we got completely murdered. Turns out 2 Mercys a Lucio and a Zenyatta dont do enough damage, who knew? On the upside if your team are awful its usually over pretty quickly.

For a few weeks after Ana was released the "no-one wants to play healer" thing wasnt an issue, instead it was "half your team want to try the new sniper/healer", but thats died back again. I'd still say its less of an issue now though.