Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Trey Parker and Matt Stone did a show called "That's My Bush!" in the weird pre-9/11 era of his administration, but it was more about poking fun at sitcom tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Was At Home With Julia the one where the only joke was that her husband was secretly gay? Because why else would a woman choose to be deliberately barren?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I don't recall because I never watched it. I did see the promos which were bad enough. That's My Bush was a group sitcom IIRC it wasn't specifically calling out a female leader. People younger than I won't know that when Thatcher got a Ministry, everyone from the Goons to Monty Python, and the Goodies made fun of her, suggesting she was stupid or inexperienced or naive.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was At Home With Julia the one where the only joke was that her husband was secretly gay? Because why else would a woman choose to be deliberately barren?

He wasn't gay but the joke was that he desired more intimacy with her and continued to make plans to see her (i.e., cooking dinner for her or making plans to take her out) however she was too busy managing the cabinet that she was unable to attend these plans. In one episode, he buys premium ingredients to make her a fancy and romantic dinner but she has to court the vote of Bob Katter so she invites Katter to dinner as well and then realizes that her partner purchased imported ingredients for dinner and sends him back to get Australian produce and meats.

It was powerfully unfunny, I don't think I could watch more than 3 episodes and I have a high tolerance for awful television

Serrath fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 19, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
What I remember from the series is that Tim had poo poo put on him for being a hairdresser because MEN CUTTING HAIR HOLKY gently caress

The show gets used at my uni by people teaching gender studies and popular culture.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Starshark posted:

What I remember from the series is that Tim had poo poo put on him for being a hairdresser because MEN CUTTING HAIR HOLKY gently caress

The show gets used at my uni by people teaching gender studies and popular culture.

That's probably what I'm remembering then. The whole hairdresser thing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
You're probably mixing it up with some radio poo poo head who made that joke

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
that show sounds entirely unfunny enough to run with it as alan jones would

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Starshark posted:

That reflected real life, though - Mathieson did get poo poo hung on him in the popular media for being a hairdresser. IMO the show never positions the audience to laugh at Tim for that, you're more positioned to side with Tim's frustration at getting the same lovely comments from the public (for being a hairdresser, the 'first bloke,' and for being someone that no-one recognises without Julia next to him).

My discomfort with the show is its attempt at poking fun at Gillard with her voice and demeanour. While I think it's targeted at her as a public figure first, rather than as a woman, it does seem to get uncomfortable because the two aren't easily separated out (especially when the Tim character isn't a caricature, just a dude). I'm not sure what's fair play and what's not when it comes to parodying a politician, but I think the real-world stuff that was slung around when Gillard was in power makes it the subject of more scrutiny.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 19, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
At Home with Julia was at its best when it was bouncing caricatures of politicians off each other and/or mundane events. The first episode was the peak because it was just that: really good parodies of Katter, Oakeshott and Windsor, at a dinner.

I'd say it was a shame that the show didn't really do anything with any Liberal MPs, but for unfathomable reasons to me nobody in Australian television has even managed to cobble together a decent Tony Abbott character. Abbott basically does most of the work for you, and still nobody was able to do a half-decent character beyond half-assing his voice and maybe a combover.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Narrator posted:

I'm not sure what's fair play and what's not when it comes to parodying a politician, but I think the real-world stuff that was slung around when Gillard was in power makes it the subject of more scrutiny.

The fact the show revolved around their relationship was the creepy thing. There's always been a few jabs at First Lady/First Bloke (Denis Thatcher particularly, but don't forget Janet Howard), this was a sustained effort to parody a leader outside their job. Something never done to a male leader. Take just about any major Australian leader of the last 50 years. Lots of rumour about "the wife" being the "power behind the throne" yet never taken on directly, certainly never the focus of any satire. But get a female PM and its sniggering at the First Bloke and how it must be to live with Her.

There was once a code of conduct about the families of leaders, but that just got forgotten with Gillard, and now it's back to normal as if Gillard was some kind of weird glitch that we can put behind us. Tony Abbott has a completely dodgy reputation with women, imagine a comedy about that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's as if someone saw the Wharf Revue one year and loved Amanda Bishop-as-Julia so much they tried to make a tv show out of a 5 minute musical skit.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I see the imbalance there. I liked the relationship aspect because it felt like it gave the show an emotional grounding; no matter what poo poo flew up, you still got the sense that Tim and Julia love each other in a healthy way and that their relationship gives them strength. But yes, you're correct, that stuff hasn't been (and probably wouldn't be) done with a male leader, so that's a problem. I hadn't really considered the concerns around targeting the families of leaders, possibly because I'm up to my ears in the American context at the moment where that stuff seems to be open slather.

The strongest parts of the show was definitely the political parody - the Oakeshott/Windsor/Katter dinner party was a great set of stupid political characters. I think there could've been potential in an At Home With Tony (appropriateness of discussing politicians' families aside) with Margie as a cool and collected counterbalance to Tony's perpetual gaffe machine, but the problems with Abbott are that he's already a parody of a politician come to life and that he's also a bit of a lovely human being (which could make silly comedy tough).

I appreciate your civil responses. I'm still unpacking how I feel about the show so it's nice to get people's thoughts.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 19, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Narrator posted:

I appreciate your civil responses. I'm still unpacking how I feel about the show so it's nice to get people's thoughts.

I missed the first episode and didn't watch it until the 2nd episode which was the most unfunny political satire I've seen in 30 years. The promos were always playing up that relationship in a really unfunny way too and it bothered me as a adjunct to the upfront demonising of Gillard everywhere else. That it was co-written by a woman seems all the more incongruous, apart from being a terrific protection against charges of unfairness, because it felt mean and condescending.

When Thatcher became PM, the equally condescending humour aimed at her switched over to Denis. A similar thing happened to Florence Bjelke-Petersen and her pumpkin scones; the fearsome leader is just called names for their day job and the partner becomes a figure of fun. You can probably throw in a couple of American examples too.

Gillard was never treated as someone with true authority. That was a deliberate choice by the Opposition and very much abetted by the Press Gallery. On top of this, we got At Home With Julia. Had she had more respect and authority, that show might have been written differently and come over with greater satiric effect. But as it was, it was just another stupid cartoon about someone the cartoonist couldn't imagine being.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Don't take this as a snark or self-aggrandisement. Just, dont. This is a real question from me, a real life autist, to you, a crowd who is, for the most part, smarter than average: HOW THE gently caress can you watch TV? I mean, I make it, so I have to for work - but I still don't, I literally can't bring myself to do it. I can't fathom why you subject yourself to such debasement. We have a rule of never underestimating an audience's potential for stupidity, and when we write, we consider you all submorons. And that's how I feel when I watch it, like my intelligence is being insulted. It reminds me of how I felt in primary school during religious instruction, before I made a pact with the volunteer that if she didn't report me for not coming, I wouldn't come and derail her lessons.

So how the gently caress do you do it?

Serious question, serious answers please.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

HOW THE gently caress can you watch TV?

Generally by hitting the power button on your remote. If it's not working make sure that it's plugged into the electrical and aerial outlets.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
My TV is on a fair amount of the time that I am in the room/s with it.

Almost always it's on ABC24. Probably a thing I picked up from my grandparents/parents having police radios going most times of the day.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The thing I can't work out is if the sunrise hosts are pretending to be stupid or just are

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
it's both

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I watch far less TV than I used to. Partly because my reception is poo poo, partly because most of the time I only catch SBS or ABC channels and there's only so much ABC24 that I can take at a time.

But TV used to be a huge part of the culture, and it had to encompass a wide audience. Rove McManus said something insightful about TV programming recently, that everything is niche, so stop trying to program for the wider "morons" and program something targeted and interesting. But no, Andrew O'Keefe is doing yet another panel show. The problem isn't with the audience, the audience is shrinking. And so TV will continue to shrink.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ewe2 makes a good point redcordial, you should try to limit your exposure to 24 hr news. That poo poo will do bad things to you.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Go to youtube and search for cats 101 your welcome

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

At Home with Julia was at its best when it was bouncing caricatures of politicians off each other and/or mundane events. The first episode was the peak because it was just that: really good parodies of Katter, Oakeshott and Windsor, at a dinner.

I'd say it was a shame that the show didn't really do anything with any Liberal MPs, but for unfathomable reasons to me nobody in Australian television has even managed to cobble together a decent Tony Abbott character. Abbott basically does most of the work for you, and still nobody was able to do a half-decent character beyond half-assing his voice and maybe a combover.

Probably for much the same reason that there isn't a whole lot of Trump parodying going on. When the real thing is bizarre enough you reach a point where there's nothing to parody.

I mean with John Howard you could make jokes about him being old fashioned and base physical caricature around his appearance. How would you do that about Abbott? He's so old fashioned, I bet he'd knight Prince Phillip...ho ho ho what a lark wait what do you mean he actually did it.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

It's hard to capture how ghastly Abbott is in parody. He's like the product of an atomic experiment.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Narrator posted:

I see the imbalance there. I liked the relationship aspect because it felt like it gave the show an emotional grounding; no matter what poo poo flew up, you still got the sense that Tim and Julia love each other in a healthy way and that their relationship gives them strength. But yes, you're correct, that stuff hasn't been (and probably wouldn't be) done with a male leader, so that's a problem. I hadn't really considered the concerns around targeting the families of leaders, possibly because I'm up to my ears in the American context at the moment where that stuff seems to be open slather.

The strongest parts of the show was definitely the political parody - the Oakeshott/Windsor/Katter dinner party was a great set of stupid political characters. I think there could've been potential in an At Home With Tony (appropriateness of discussing politicians' families aside) with Margie as a cool and collected counterbalance to Tony's perpetual gaffe machine, but the problems with Abbott are that he's already a parody of a politician come to life and that he's also a bit of a lovely human being (which could make silly comedy tough).

Today's your lucky day I guess? :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Lsf-CEhZ8

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Don't take this as a snark or self-aggrandisement. Just, dont. This is a real question from me, a real life autist, to you, a crowd who is, for the most part, smarter than average: HOW THE gently caress can you watch TV? I mean, I make it, so I have to for work - but I still don't, I literally can't bring myself to do it. I can't fathom why you subject yourself to such debasement. We have a rule of never underestimating an audience's potential for stupidity, and when we write, we consider you all submorons. And that's how I feel when I watch it, like my intelligence is being insulted. It reminds me of how I felt in primary school during religious instruction, before I made a pact with the volunteer that if she didn't report me for not coming, I wouldn't come and derail her lessons.

I don't.

My partner and I watch specific shows we've read about as being decent, but I haven't sat down and just "watched television" since I was a child. It's mostly either lowest-denominator garbage or self-congratulatory shows about property where people masturbate over how well their extension went.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
That is a valid point. Luckily I tend to have the volume down low or on mute, and will turn it up when there's a fresh story etc.

Generally once I've realised ABC24 are playing the same segments repeatedly, I'll switch it off and carry on with my work/study.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I regret ever wanting anything

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Hey you remember that thing that happened? HAHAHAHA.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
death is certain and yet i still live?

what is this bullshit?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Looks like Coles and the SDA are about to get hosed up.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

We have a rule of never underestimating an audience's potential for stupidity, and when we write, we consider you all submorons. And that's how I feel when I watch it, like my intelligence is being insulted.

Sounds like it's pretty clear why Australian TV isn't very good from this sentence right here, dude

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Brownblitzkrieg if its in your power can you let somebody know to stop padding out the funny internet clip shows with english standups or at least keep playing the animal footage while the unfunny assholes do their hot takes as a voice over or from a bubble in the corner like a japanese tv show? Thanks

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

We have a rule of never underestimating an audience's potential for stupidity, and when we write, we consider you all submorons.

But why is this the case? Is there a .ppt somewhere that shows that turning the dumb-o-meter up to 11 results in more advertising dollar?

WHY are you producing such absolute crap? Is there not a market for something more nuanced? Or is it just easier....

My household doesn't watch FTA at all, apart from the Christmas Carols ritual and maybe ABC24 when the twice yearly spill is on. Netflix gets most of my eyeball time.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I thought if anything that narrowcasting etc meant that a lot of people weren't happy with poo poo any more.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

Looks like Coles and the SDA are about to get hosed up.

dont post a source or anything

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
A part would have to be that when you're financially on the back foot is easier to focus on cutting costs. Get some bozos to write the worst junk, and air that using real-world sets.

Ie, political analysis is much easier as 'lol spill' than 'are we torturing and is it bad?' (hi ee)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Get plex and a private tracker and never deal with bullshit television again you clowns.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

Get plex and a private tracker and never deal with bullshit television again you clowns.

I'm really not that bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

Netflix is $10 a month.

• Locked thread