Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Metos posted:

The answer is literally anything because the days of being brain dead and running into bastions endlessly are over

YOU WOULD THINK THAT BUT MY TEAM DISAGREES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So first time playing in about 2 weeks and I'm getting really crazy lag where lots of warping around and janky movement. Sometimes it's ok but usually about 30/60% is spent like that and it's nigh unplayable.

Afaik nothing has changed on my end or anything, I've reset my router, of and modem several times. Could just be a Comcast problem tonight? Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on how to fix it?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

A long time ago I heard winstons gun was less effective the more targets you hit at once. Is this true or a myth? I played Pyro the most in TF2 so my instinct is to spray groups of people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SectumSempra posted:

Actually how the gently caress did they play so many hours of symmetra?

She's relevant on so few maps.
Unless they are doing some next level poo poo.

Symmetra is relevant on defense for Kings Row, Numbani, Hanamura, Temple of Anubis, Volskaya Industries, Hollywood, Watchpoint: Gibraltar, Dorado, and Route 66.

Or really, every map bar the KOTH ones, 9 out of 12, so I wouldn't say she's relevant on few maps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he probably just likes playing symmetra

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

A long time ago I heard winstons gun was less effective the more targets you hit at once. Is this true or a myth? I played Pyro the most in TF2 so my instinct is to spray groups of people.

So far as I'm aware this isn't true, one of Winston's strengths is that he can clean up groups of stragglers efficiently.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I don't think that's actually true, Winston's gun just hits everything in a cone in front of him for the same damage no matter how many targets.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Completely wrong. You will do full damage to everyone that is being hit with your gun, which is why he is so good at team fights, especially in the death ball meta.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
People say you shouldn't care if you win or lose in quickplay, but am I at least justified for getting annoyed when I wait 5 minutes in queue for a game that lasts 2 because my teammates decided to do things like all go the same character or just grief?

At least now golden weapons, I get the added bonus of listening to people brag because they win against me and about two other random poor schlubs who don't even know each other because we had some.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 20, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

5 minute queue, what kind of MMR is that? Mine rarely goes past 15 seconds

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Double Bill posted:

5 minute queue, what kind of MMR is that? Mine rarely goes past 15 seconds

I'm overdue for ~100 losses for 50/50.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theta Zero posted:

I'm overdue for ~100 losses for 50/50.

What does that mean

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

flashman posted:

What does that mean

I always assumed the game really, really wants you to have a 50/50 win/lose ratio. To have an equal ratio between losses and wins, I need to lose 100 more times.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean once you reach your true mmr you will ideally be pretty close to 50 percent for games played at that level but there's no reason for them to keep feeding you losses because you climbed in mmr by winning. Anyone who can outpace their mmr gain with skill gain should maintain a positive win loss ratio.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Well I don't know any other way I can look at my MMR other than just gauging by my win/lose ratio. Either way, I'm having to wait about 4-5 minutes in a queue every time I want to find a game by myself. And also not by myself.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Your rank

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
You mean on Master Overwatch or something? I'm #5,821 in the US, apparently.

Unless you mean my level or something, which is 115 I think.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah you're in the top ~5% of players, learn to suck more and you'll get shorter queue times. :toot:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Asimo posted:

Yeah you're in the top ~5% of players, learn to suck more and you'll get shorter queue times. :toot:

If rank 5thousand and something is in the top 5% of players... that means there's on the order of a hundred thousand players... which makes me....

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Mukaikubo-1923

neg.. negative... or... top 200th... GREAT SCOTT I'M NOT REAL :v:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I haven't had time to play since the season end thingy. Is it true that the comp scrublords have ruined the glorious QG house of fun by constantly insinuating what heroes people should play?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zephyrine posted:

I haven't had time to play since the season end thingy. Is it true that the comp scrublords have ruined the glorious QG house of fun by constantly insinuating what heroes people should play?

Yes. Please do not be our fourth D.Va.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Theta Zero posted:

UGH fine I'll be third Mei then.

dick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Theta Zero posted:

Agreed.

Be the sixth. :twisted:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

If the team had six D.Vas I would join as the seventh :black101:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Theta Zero posted:

Multiple D.Vas is unbeatable (cause people are too dumb to switch to multiple Zaryas)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
My fondest memory of overwatch is doing a D.Va stack on anubis attack.

Pre-buff.

And winning within about 5 minutes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
At one point (pre-buff), any time we would get to attack on Route 66 we would do 6 D.Vas. We won every single time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've finally gotten into this game and I am pretty terrible at it. Maybe because I'm :corsair: or something. I like playing Junk rat and Mercy so far.

How exactly does it determine the play of the game?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theta Zero posted:

You mean on Master Overwatch or something? I'm #5,821 in the US, apparently.

Unless you mean my level or something, which is 115 I think.

Ya sorry man you are actually too good for the matchmaker

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Panfilo posted:

I've finally gotten into this game and I am pretty terrible at it. Maybe because I'm :corsair: or something. I like playing Junk rat and Mercy so far.

It's mostly a mystery. Usually it's a high number of kills (4+), but sometimes people also get it for less. Ults seem to count towards it, too. A mercy full res has a decent but not perfect chance to get POTG.

And sometimes it makes bugger all sense and you get a Tracer shooting one guy and then falling off a cliff as POTG.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Panfilo posted:

You earn some invisible kind of point for heals, finishing blows, eliminations, resurrections, and it searches for whoever had the most points in the smallest amount of time.

And then it gives it to Torbjorn.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's mostly a mystery. Usually it's a high number of kills (4+), but sometimes people also get it for less. Ults seem to count towards it, too. A mercy full res has a decent but not perfect chance to get POTG.

And sometimes it makes bugger all sense and you get a Tracer shooting one guy and then falling off a cliff as POTG.

Dealing lots of damage is good, possibly even moreso than getting the final blow as long as they still die.
Rezzes are valued somewhat similarly to kills.
Healing has some value but massively less than damage.
Doing anything on the objective while it's being contested gets a significant multiplier.
Stopping an enemy from ulting is very valued ("Shutdown"), as is saving someone's life according to the game's best guess that they would have died without you. ("Lifesaver")

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

demota posted:

You earn some invisible kind of point for heals, finishing blows, eliminations, resurrections, and it searches for whoever had the most points in the smallest amount of time.

And then it gives it to Torbjorn.

It also gives different amounts of points depending on the circumstances. For example, killing people on the point is worth more, killing people who are using their ult is worth more, and so on.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I also just started playing this recently. Is there anything I need to know not to be pants on head retarded besides the usual "Hey, don't pick heroes that are already picked" schtick.

I tend to wind up gravitating towards cowboy cyborg because he's a cowboy cyborg but I meander around with Lucio when there's not a healer.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2016

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Yami Fenrir posted:

My fondest memory of overwatch is doing a D.Va stack on anubis attack.

Pre-buff.

And winning within about 5 minutes.

Mine is when my friends and I went 4 pre-buff D.Vas and a lucio on king’s row offense. Our pubby figured out the plan on his own and switched off hanzo to soldier, we steamrolled the entire map with him constantly ulting behind an impenetrable chain of defense matrices

It definitely helped that they couldn’t figure out a counter (it was before everyone realized how good Zarya is, so the best they could come up with was a couple of Symmetras and Reapers, maybe a Roadhog?)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

I also just started playing this recently. Is there anything I need to know not to be pants on head retarded besides the usual "Hey, don't pick heroes that are already picked" schtick.

I tend to wind up gravitating towards Cowboy cyborg because he's a cowboy cyborg but I meander around with Lucio when there's not a healer.

It depends on what kind of playstyle you prefer. The cowboy is for people who want to master split second accuracy over medium to long distances. In fact he might be more of a sniper than the actual snipers.

If you (like me) can't hit anything then some of the classes with short to medium range automatic weapons might be better. Like the soldier, D.Va, Bastion and so on.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Commissar Ken posted:

I tend to wind up gravitating towards Cowboy cyborg because he's a cowboy cyborg but I meander around with Lucio when there's not a healer.

Try to attack in a group whenever possible.

On defense, don’t push up too far. Better to guard at a choke closer to the point (you have a *lot* farther to travel than they do after respawn, so even if you take 2-3 people out before dying they’ll have an advantage)

If you’re about to die and you have an ult, resist the urge to hit Q in a panic. It’s usually better to hold it until the situation is right, rather than wasting it for nothing.

Protect your healers

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Zephyrine posted:

It depends on what kind of playstyle you prefer. The cowboy is for people who want to master split second accuracy over medium to long distances. In fact he might be more of a sniper than the actual snipers.

If you (like me) can't hit anything then some of the classes with short to medium range automatic weapons might be better. Like the soldier, D.Va, Bastion and so on.

I have no problem hitting things and the really strong distance single shot vs the more damaging closer range hammer fan shot is kinda whats kept me with him. Well that and there's very little more satisfying than watching a Roadhog or Pharah wind up their ult and getting flashbanged and shot up. That being said I have been fiddling with Soldier 76 a bit too to see how much more versatile he is.

CORN NOG posted:

Try to attack in a group whenever possible.

On defense, don’t push up too far. Better to guard at a choke closer to the point (you have a *lot* farther to travel than they do after respawn, so even if you take 2-3 people out before dying they’ll have an advantage)

If you’re about to die and you have an ult, resist the urge to hit Q in a panic. It’s usually better to hold it until the situation is right, rather than wasting it for nothing.

Protect your healers

Done and done. The only thing i've had a problem with in that list is loving up the timing on my ult. And/or finding a decent place to use it where i'm not instantly retaliated on before I can really make it worthwhile. Although if I use it to kill a Mercy or a Torbjorn from downtown before a push and that's all I get I consider that gravy.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 20, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Commissar Ken posted:

I have no problem hitting things and the really strong distance single shot vs the more damaging closer range hammer fan shot is kinda whats kept me with him. Well that and there's very little more satisfying than watching a Roadhog or Pharah wind up their ult and getting flashbanged and shot up. That being said I have been fiddling with Soldier 76 a bit too to see how much more versatile he is.

Done and done. The only thing i've had a problem with in that list is loving up the timing on my ult. And/or finding a decent place to use it where i'm not instantly retaliated on before I can really make it worthwhile. Although if I use it to kill a Mercy or a Torbjorn from downtown before a push and that's all I get I consider that gravy.

Mccree is considered all around better at pro levels, but soldier's heal is nice in solo queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
If you're an accurate shot and you love loving with people during ults, I firmly believe there's nothing better than Ana's sleep dart. Sleeping people during ults is hilarious and adorable because they just want to take a nap :unsmith: