Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Something I don't hear talked about with bootleg cartridges is how a lot of them were free hacks and translations done by the community, sold by someone else for a profit without permission. It's one thing to bootleg a commercial game that a company already made its profit off of or whatever, but it's another thing entirely to poo poo in your own community pool like this.

I used to be kind of upset that people were bootlegging the unreleased games we spent a lot of money to make sure people could see, but I'm over it now. I'd rather people profit off of my money than profit off of someone else's months/years of labor.

"Reproduction" implies making a new version of an existing item, like if someone were to make a copy of Stadium Events that could pass for the original at a glance. These dang things are bootlegs.

I made a rom hack a couple of years ago, where i wrote a Tetris clone in M68k assembly and tacked it onto a Sonic 1 rom, and I found out about a week or so ago that somebody was selling repros of it. It's weird, i honestly don't know what to feel about it, I guess more than getting upset about somebody profiting off my work, i feel sorry for the people who might potentially buy it (nobody will buy it), because i know that the high score system i wrote relies on battery backed sram, which the repro doesn't have, and i didn't account for the undefined behaviour that that could cause, and who knows how broken this cart that this imaginary buyer buys will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

Don't use my name in vain. Not my fault some of y'all don't even have the attention span to watch a goddamned Vine at this point. My posts are quality and full of knowledge, wisdom, and balance. I even break them up so as to keep thoughts organized and somewhat clearer to read. ( I used to make comic book style things but that requires effort and giving enough of a poo poo.)

ALSO N64 AND NO MENTION OF PAPER MARIO? The gently caress is wrong with y'all? It and Doom 64 are pretty much the reason I keep that thing around. Not that I want to play them on the actual machine mind you but it means I can also have Ogre Battle, Starfox, and Robotron plus Pokeymans Puzzle League which is Tetris Attacks on Crack. With Pikachu.

Then again I mostly want a PS4 just for the English subs in a couple Super Robot Wars games and would buy like Bloodborne and Little Big Planet 3 while I am at it....

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's just SSF2T. "X" is the Japanese name for Turbo.

The Dreamcast version isn't really novel outside of being a relatively accurate port with online play. (HD Remix was baed on the codebase from the Dreamcast port.)

It also has a lot of options for tweaking, the sort of flipping virtual dipswitch stuff that a lot of later PS2-era collections started adding. If you're a big fan of SFII, it's by far the coolest home version. I can't imagine the online play was ever worth using, but the other stuff is really cool. Also the booklet and packaging are full of a lot of art that only got used in things like arcade flyers and on the physical arcade carts which is all pretty cool looking stuff. Vampire Chronicle was also pretty awesome, it's not super balanced, but the mode select stuff is pretty neat if you want the Hyper Street Fighter II of Darkstalkers games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

My posts are quality and full of knowledge, wisdom, and balance.
The false advertising in this sentence is so immense I'm pretty sure Sony just released it to retail.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Can we stop sniping at each other, please? You guys are cool people who like video games. You have different tastes, different standards.

Stop being dicks.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
or keep it up, whatever's clever :munch:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wizgot posted:

Tomorrow I'm driving out toward SF and the Bay Area. Any good places to find retro games?

San Jose area:
"Game Shop Down Stairs". Its inside a pc repair place but... down stairs.
Game World. Piles of games and some interesting stuff mixed in (they had a panasonic cube last I went) but the prices are high.
8-bit gamers closed their retro gaming section and expanded to be all tabletop gaming so don't waste your time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One thing is for sure, I hope we eventually end up with flash cart solutions for everything. I think we've got every Nintendo console covered n64 and older. Saturn needs a reliable solution (I think someone is selling one but it's pretty expensive and he's not producing that many) and I think we need one for Sega cd and 32x? I'd like to see some kind of psx one similar to the dream cast flash drive solution. I have a psx I keep around for this.

I do agree repros are largely a waste of money in the long term. I do see the appeal of getting one or two especially for gifts, for people who are not as tech savvy. They just want to be able to plug something in and it takes them to the title menu of the game.

The one thing about flashcarts is that it's so tempting just to buy the few I don't have yet, then sell everything in my collection aside from the console hardware and make like $10,000 in profit. I have this argument with myself every month and it's the reason I haven't gotten flashcarts for all my consoles yet, I don't want to make it even more tempting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It also has a lot of options for tweaking, the sort of flipping virtual dipswitch stuff that a lot of later PS2-era collections started adding. If you're a big fan of SFII, it's by far the coolest home version. I can't imagine the online play was ever worth using, but the other stuff is really cool. Also the booklet and packaging are full of a lot of art that only got used in things like arcade flyers and on the physical arcade carts which is all pretty cool looking stuff. Vampire Chronicle was also pretty awesome, it's not super balanced, but the mode select stuff is pretty neat if you want the Hyper Street Fighter II of Darkstalkers games.

Yeah, it was definitely fine for the time and one of the first Capcom fighting game ports that didn't need to be compromised due to the hardware, it's just something that's been made redundant by how easy it is to just emulate the arcade game.

That being said, Capcom seems to avoid emulation-based re-releases of arcade SF2 wherever possible - they've pushed the old SNES/MD ports a few times and even oddities like the GBA port and Fighting Street for TG16, plus HD Remix, but the only time they've ever re-released the original arcade games was on those PS2/Xbox collections from a decade ago. Those games should be on everything ever and I'm sure the likes of Iron Galaxy, Digital Eclipse, etc have made pitches to re-release them, but even now they're shockingly scarce.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ineffiable posted:

One thing is for sure, I hope we eventually end up with flash cart solutions for everything. I think we've got every Nintendo console covered n64 and older. Saturn needs a reliable solution (I think someone is selling one but it's pretty expensive and he's not producing that many) and I think we need one for Sega cd and 32x? I'd like to see some kind of psx one similar to the dream cast flash drive solution. I have a psx I keep around for this.

Well, someone is making a Saturn device that plugs into the card port and loads stuff off USB, and the SCD has no protection outside of reasoning (which is easily bypassed), at least. You can use an Everdrive MD to load 32X games, IIRC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, someone is making a Saturn device that plugs into the card port and loads stuff off USB, and the SCD has no protection outside of reasoning (which is easily bypassed), at least. You can use an Everdrive MD to load 32X games, IIRC.

Yeah I'm just hoping the new Saturn device is cheaper and easier than the current designs. I'd pay between 100 to 200 for a device that means I don't have to worry about the disc drive. Same for a solution for the psx and ps2 (slim models)

I never was big on the Genesis but you would still need the 32x hardware but good to know the flash drive works. But Sega cd drives have a relatively high failure rate right? More than anything, I'm concerned about the systems that run of cds since those might be prone to failure more.

The funny thing is, things like flash cards exist in bigger and cheaper quantities than before and prices still are going up on the original stuff.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

The guy who does the Dreamcast and Saturn ODEs is working on a PC Engine CD ODE, so I suppose after he finishes that he'll be working of the SEGA CD. Replacement pickups are pretty cheap anyway so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Right, the pc engine flash cart doesn't do cd games right? I still want to get one and I could probably make up for the cost by selling my star soldier games.

What pc engine cd games are worth playing anyway?

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
So, the skinny on being able to play roms on the Dreamcast is this?

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Is the issue that if someone sends him money, it may take a long time? Or is it full on buyer beware, as in sending him money and getting nothing at all is a possibility?

(Theorizing this. I notice he only wants money in Euros)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think he has a massive backlog and he'll take your money but it's gonna take a long, long time. There's some drama between him and stone age gamer. I'm kind of lucky to score a unit from stone age gamer.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Cliche Guevara posted:

Is the issue that if someone sends him money, it may take a long time? Or is it full on buyer beware, as in sending him money and getting nothing at all is a possibility?

I got one a while ago. People give the guy who makes them flack for being a bit cantankerous, but I had no issues. (And he says up front how he works at this point, so it's pretty much on you if you thought it'd be like using Amazon or whatever. TLDR: he's the only one making them and he's not doing it as a main source of income.) Putting images on the card is a bit odd due to the folder structure, but it works pretty well. I still need to do the thing where you short out some part of the psu to keep it from overheating, but it works fine for short bursts. It took maybe a month to come in from when he opened the books for ordering.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Nice Tron stwhat the gently caress

Yeah, that's something I don't get about these terrible MAME layouts. They inevitably throw a Tron stick on there somewhere. Because the Tron stick was absolutely essentially to playing Tron and Satan's Hollow.

Also, they never use the cooler red version from Satan's Hollow but that's probably because there's a billion Tron machines out there and very few Satans.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think the trick was to put a resistor or something in the slot left unused. I did the same thing a goon here did in the prior thread.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Also, they never use the cooler red version from Satan's Hollow but that's probably because there's a billion Tron machines out there and very few Satans.

There's a reproduction of the tron stick out there somewhere. Pretty sure it only comes in blue.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I know this was a page ago, but I somehow read it as DIY garbage arcade and didn't see a problem with that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm gonna skip the last 100 posts to state that the stupidest "gut a thing to make a tackier thing" trend is the Game Boy Macro: http://gameboymacro.com/

You shouldn't be shedding a tear over half broken DSes being turned into mostly working GBAs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McFunkerson posted:

This guy knows what's up. My friends and I used to play 4 player mode in High School all the time. It had a long string of preview pieces, a bank you could rotate piece into to save it for later, and the ability to make those big gold & silver blocks. It felt like the perfect evolution of Tetris, it changes things up just enough but kept the core game mechanics the same.

Yeah dude, I had every combination that formed a gold or silver block memorized, it was crazy. :hfive:

The Milkman posted:

:hfive:

New Tetris has provided far and away the most fun I've had in tetris multiplayer. Everyone remembers N64 multiplayer as Goldeneye/Kart/Smash but New Tetris and Dr Mario 64 gave them a run for their money in our group.

I really wish that squaring mechanic would make it into any of the newer games as a mode or something.

My people!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Cliche Guevara posted:

Basically the way he operates is he opens pre-orders and if you manage to get in on time he puts you on a waitlist. Once your ODE is ready he'll send you a transaction request to your Paypal account and you'll have about a week to respond.

He isn't the only one making DC ODEs though, there's this guy, but with him you might be at risk.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Do not even ask posted:

Basically the way he operates is he opens pre-orders and if you manage to get in on time he puts you on a waitlist. Once your ODE is ready he'll send you a transaction request to your Paypal account and you'll have about a week to respond.

He isn't the only one making DC ODEs though, there's this guy, but with him you might be at risk.

Can the thread make a :siren: next time ordering is up? I rather do this then try fixing the bad laser on my Dreamcast and then have to burn a bunch of CDR.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to chime in and say that the 8BITDO SNES gamepad with the wireless receiver is so great that I bought a 2nd one, and I can confirm the SNES will work with 2 wireless 8BITDO SNES pads without issue. I am not sure why I thought there could be an issue, but there isn't one. Works perfectly. Zero lag!

Now who is going to be a bad enough dude to buy 5 of these for a multitap?

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm just hoping the new Saturn device is cheaper and easier than the current designs. I'd pay between 100 to 200 for a device that means I don't have to worry about the disc drive. Same for a solution for the psx and ps2 (slim models)

I never was big on the Genesis but you would still need the 32x hardware but good to know the flash drive works. But Sega cd drives have a relatively high failure rate right? More than anything, I'm concerned about the systems that run of cds since those might be prone to failure more.

The funny thing is, things like flash cards exist in bigger and cheaper quantities than before and prices still are going up on the original stuff.

I am like this too. Sega CD, especially the model 1, is really finicky. Only some of them have replaceable lenses. The JVC ones are impossible to find replacements for.

I do have to wonder why these are so expensive/impossible to make because I bought an ODE for the Wii (it was called a SunDisk or some crap like that) which let me literally cram a laptop hard drive inside a Wii and I think it was like $25. It was the only way to play Gamecube ISOs from a hard drive on the Wii at the time.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rirse posted:

Can the thread make a :siren: next time ordering is up? I rather do this then try fixing the bad laser on my Dreamcast and then have to burn a bunch of CDR.

You'd be better off checking the GDEMU site every so often. He'll typically make ahead notice of when he's opening up orders.

Do not even ask fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 20, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

Now that I know people are destroying something that's actually rare and valuable to turn into something that can be purchased on the commercial market I'm totally compiling a hit list right now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

wow you sound almost as cool as the cool guys who paint their game boys purple and only use them as synthesizers

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
brb, gonna turn a bandai pippin into an ideal spirograph machine

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ineffiable posted:

The one thing about flashcarts is that it's so tempting just to buy the few I don't have yet, then sell everything in my collection aside from the console hardware and make like $10,000 in profit. I have this argument with myself every month and it's the reason I haven't gotten flashcarts for all my consoles yet, I don't want to make it even more tempting.

Even if I had flash carts for everything, I'd probably keep a game or two for each system. Every console has at least one good title that's dirt cheap and likely to stay that way.

Well, the TurboGrafx might be the exception. Everything is nuts there.

Ineffiable posted:

Right, the pc engine flash cart doesn't do cd games right? I still want to get one and I could probably make up for the cost by selling my star soldier games.

What pc engine cd games are worth playing anyway?

Aside from the ones in the OP, you can try neat shooters like Sylphia, Rayxanber III, Nexzr, Macross 2036, and Gate of Thunder. Flash Hiders is a decent fighting game, and for action games you have Mad Stalker, Exile and its sequel, and...well, the Valis series is OK.

The PCE CD also has piles of RPGs: Ys, Emerald Dragon, Tengai Makyo, Xak, Cosmic Fantasy, Popful Mail, Dragon Slayer, etc. Most of them are in Japanese, of course.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

brb, gonna turn a bandai pippin into an ideal spirograph machine

Currently converting a Panasonic Q into a disco ball.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

d0s posted:

wow you sound almost as cool as the cool guys who paint their game boys purple and only use them as synthesizers

I like those, too. It's two hobbies I really enjoy that I can combine together in a new and exciting way. If you guys prefer the past to be static here, I'll stop sharing anything that's been modified from its original purpose. I didn't expect the vitriol at all about this stuff here, I had been excited to share my new carts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliche Guevara posted:

Keep in mind, you can just buy a stack of CD-Rs and burn most games to them while you wait for or save up for one of those drive replacements.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm gonna buy a Turbografix 16 and gut it for a mini ITX PC, but one of those ones where nothing actually fits so I have to cut holes in the case to get everything to fit.

Then once I install SNES and Genesis emulators on it, it'll finally be able to play good games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chainclaw posted:

What does turning one of those into a video synthesizer entail, anyway?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A dead Divers Dreamcast would make a really gnarly fishbowl.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

I like those, too. It's two hobbies I really enjoy that I can combine together in a new and exciting way. If you guys prefer the past to be static here, I'll stop sharing anything that's been modified from its original purpose. I didn't expect the vitriol at all about this stuff here, I had been excited to share my new carts.

idk why you find it shocking that a very small minority of people in a thread about video games are annoyed that people are destroying a rare system they would love to own/afford

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have $500 wooden connectors for your PS1 to get that superior-to-every-format audio any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
You guys realize the next logical step is for people to "rescue" repros and convert them back to the games they originally once were, right? Big long overproduced maudlin YouTube videos.

Or or or! Some guy does the Michael Moore thing and videotapes himself confronting one of these store clerks for selling a StarFox 2 repro.

"Oh wow, StarFox 2; I didn't know they actually came out with this. I didn't know that it was actually released. *picks it up* Wow, an official Nintendo release. Right? This is official?" *waggles it @ clerk*

skip ahead 3 minutes

"Do you have the right to sell this, sir? Did Nintendo give you permission to sell StarFox 2? Actually, I don't have to leave. I don't. This is being recorded. Get me the manager, please"

and so on

• Locked thread