Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

al-azad posted:

I have $500 wooden connectors for your PS1 to get that superior-to-every-format audio any takers?

Do you have bags of very small rocks to put over your audio interconnects in order to have the widest soundstage, warmer mids and bright highs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll throw it in with silver braided cords, let's say $1,000? Your old games will never sound clearer.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Games?! I would never sully my SCP-1001 with game discs, this is purely a CD player.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I AM THE TOILET posted:

You guys realize the next logical step is for people to "rescue" repros and convert them back to the games they originally once were, right? Big long overproduced maudlin YouTube videos.

Or or or! Some guy does the Michael Moore thing and videotapes himself confronting one of these store clerks for selling a StarFox 2 repro.

"Oh wow, StarFox 2; I didn't know they actually came out with this. I didn't know that it was actually released. *picks it up* Wow, an official Nintendo release. Right? This is official?" *waggles it @ clerk*

skip ahead 3 minutes

"Do you have the right to sell this, sir? Did Nintendo give you permission to sell StarFox 2? Actually, I don't have to leave. I don't. This is being recorded. Get me the manager, please"

and so on

Lol if you don't do this already.

I also take rare carts and put madden roms in them.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's just SSF2T. "X" is the Japanese name for Turbo.

The Dreamcast version isn't really novel outside of being a relatively accurate port with online play. (HD Remix was baed on the codebase from the Dreamcast port.)

The dipswitches already got mentioned, but I'll just add that a couple of them let you play Akuma Gouki with the double air fireball and also give him the shungokusatsu as his super move. I think one or both of these options also made it to the GBA version, but... that's the GBA version.

Classics Collection or Hyper Street Fighter II are just fine, though, and IIRC one or both of them let you enable the previously exclusive 3DO soundtrack if you prefer.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just wanted to chime in and say that the 8BITDO SNES gamepad with the wireless receiver is so great that I bought a 2nd one, and I can confirm the SNES will work with 2 wireless 8BITDO SNES pads without issue. I am not sure why I thought there could be an issue, but there isn't one. Works perfectly. Zero lag!

Now who is going to be a bad enough dude to buy 5 of these for a multitap?

I'm half considering it. And four of the NES ones. Wireless Spot and M.U.L.E.!

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 20, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm gonna buy a Turbografix 16 and gut it for a mini ITX PC, but one of those ones where nothing actually fits so I have to cut holes in the case to get everything to fit.

Then once I install SNES and Genesis emulators on it, it'll finally be able to play good games.

I finally finished the cabinet for my homebrew arcade game, Poopsnake Chaser. All I had to do was gut and repaint this old Bouncer machine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

The dipswitches already got mentioned, but I'll just add that a couple of them let you play Akuma Gouki with the double air fireball and also give him the shungokusatsu as his super move. I think one or both of these options also made it to the GBA version, but... that's the GBA version.

Classics Collection or Hyper Street Fighter II are just fine, though, and IIRC one or both of them let you enable the previously exclusive 3DO soundtrack if you prefer.

I'm half considering it. And four of the NES ones. Wireless Spot and M.U.L.E.!

Fair warning, I have heard the NES one isn't as fantastic as the SNES one. I play the SNES way more than the NES so I never got them so I can't confirm. I can tell you that I play Super Mario World on the 8BITDO on the SNES as well as I do the original controller. I cannot say the same thing for playing with any wireless controller on Android emulators though.

It's really weird but I find myself playing the SNES so much more now that I got these. I don't know why having wireless controllers makes such a big difference but it does. My wife and I play Tetris (the SNES one with doctor Mario) against each other every single night now. For some reason we weren't really doing that with the wired controllers.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
So I just put a backlight / bivert module into a Clear Play it Loud Game Boy and I couldn't be happier, I hope I am not doing retro games wrong :v:

The DMG screen is really beautiful when it's properly illuminated

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So I just put a backlight / bivert module into a Clear Play it Loud Game Boy and I couldn't be happier, I hope I am not doing retro games wrong :v:

The DMG screen is really beautiful when it's properly illuminated

Wow, that looks great. How did you do it without getting dust particles or bubbles?

is the motion blur still there?

How did you get that white border?

Awesome job!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm in the repros are dumb camp. I own 2 repros that I got before I had the eureka moment that I'm wasting space and money.

I bought bio force ape from someone here. I hadn't done any critical thought about it. It just seemed like it would be neat to have because I'm an impulsive collector and borderline hoarder.

I bought Famicom Splatterhouse because I loved it and wanted to support a repro maker. Maybe the same as before.

I own several homebrew because that's how the original creator intended it to be released.

I'm really torn about repros, but I have financial bias. A repro nes copy of gun-nac is flat out counterfeiting, but a nes copy of Splatterhouse technically is even if it wasn't released for nes.

I own several high end games so I have a vested interest in protecting value because I covet the monetary value more than their personal physical value. I felt bad about that reasoning until I realized it's because I still have access to the games via emulation.

I'm a lifelong collector and counterfeiting irritates me in all hobbies. It's harder to take serious in modern hobbies, but if I see a collection of native American artifacts I don't want to see spear heads that someone whittled in their garage to make a quick buck.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So I just put a backlight / bivert module into a Clear Play it Loud Game Boy and I couldn't be happier, I hope I am not doing retro games wrong

nah, improving functionality is cool in my book, same goes for RGB mods etc. kthulu5k's hot rod analogy works here

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

I own several high end games so I have a vested interest in protecting value
weirdly also as an owner of lots of expensive games, I'm all for non-destructive ways to make those games less valuable. these games shouldn't be so expensive, if people want to make fakes from scratch (as long as it's obvious somehow) I don't give a fuuuuuck. it's a good thing if more non-rich people can enjoy a rare game on real hardware

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I also think retro gaming in general is really overpriced. Everything feels like it's going for more money than it should. I could easily sell most of my collection and make four times as how much I paid into it.

But I don't like that it's expensive for someone to jump into collecting today. If anyone was starting from scratch, I'd tell them to invest in flashcarts and emulators and just hope you get lucky at garage sales or thrift stores.

At least you can start off very well with a raspberry pi and 8bitdo controllers. And maybe slowly build up your collection. But the Era of having large shelves full of game is a rich boys dream now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can still have shelves full of games, you just need to import them or get into the Genesis.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Wow, that looks great. How did you do it without getting dust particles or bubbles?

is the motion blur still there?

How did you get that white border?

Awesome job!

Thanks! It was my first mod and first time soldering in a long time.

I was really diligent about keeping the screen and polarizer clean with a microfiber cloth before I packaged it all up. Next time I'll probably grab some diatomaceous earth to slip in between them.

The white border is a glass replacement screen cover (I grabbed the game boy from ebay and the screen cover was missing). I got both the screen cover and the backlight / bivert mod from https://handheldlegend.com

The blur is still there but feels improved - I'll try to grab a video later

e: now I've got the bug and am probably going to do this to a couple of the other Play it Loud models I have - thinking of leaving the screen inverted for the black.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 20, 2016

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

d0s posted:

weirdly also as an owner of lots of expensive games, I'm all for non-destructive ways to make those games less valuable. these games shouldn't be so expensive, if people want to make fakes from scratch (as long as it's obvious somehow) I don't give a fuuuuuck. it's a good thing if more non-rich people can enjoy a rare game on real hardware

I'm not mad about it and don't generally make a fuss about it, but I don't understand what the point of making a fake replica of a thing is if you have other ways to experience it.

I like Charlie Chaplin movies, but I'm not going to make a fake celluloid reel. I'm going to watch it digitally.
If we compare it to display replicas, then most people don't take their fake cartridge and hang it on the wall for full display like a replica sword. At best it's on a shelf with the spine displayed among other games.

But if that's what makes you happy, go for it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ineffiable posted:

I also think retro gaming in general is really overpriced. Everything feels like it's going for more money than it should. I could easily sell most of my collection and make four times as how much I paid into it.

But I don't like that it's expensive for someone to jump into collecting today. If anyone was starting from scratch, I'd tell them to invest in flashcarts and emulators and just hope you get lucky at garage sales or thrift stores.

At least you can start off very well with a raspberry pi and 8bitdo controllers. And maybe slowly build up your collection. But the Era of having large shelves full of game is a rich boys dream now.

Pretty much, yeah. Ten years ago I was firmly in the camp of Authentic Collections and Large Shelves Full of Games. Nowadays I tell anybody getting into it to just go the flashcart/emulation route. Even thrift stores and garage sales aren't as great as they used to be. Back in the late '90s and most of the '00s I could regularly find popular NES and SNES games in lots, or the occasional near mint US Saturn JRPG for $5. Lately I've been seeing people descend on a stack of random worthless SNES sports titles like vultures, browsing their phones hoping that Madden '93 is actually $40.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fair warning, I have heard the NES one isn't as fantastic as the SNES one. I play the SNES way more than the NES so I never got them so I can't confirm.
Can confirm. I have an NES30 and an SNES30 and the SNES30 has a higher build quality. The NES30 isn't bad or anything, it's just not as good. My NES30 also has a mushy D-pad Up, so I'm going to swap it out, hoping that's just a one-off defect.

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one. Or a Wii U pro controller, or a Dual Shock 4. I hope they keep making more receivers. Genesis, N64, Gamecube, PS1/2... It'd be great to play PS1 and PS2 games with a Dual Shock 4.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not mad about it and don't generally make a fuss about it, but I don't understand what the point of making a fake replica of a thing is if you have other ways to experience it.

I like Charlie Chaplin movies, but I'm not going to make a fake celluloid reel. I'm going to watch it digitally.
If we compare it to display replicas, then most people don't take their fake cartridge and hang it on the wall for full display like a replica sword. At best it's on a shelf with the spine displayed among other games.

oh definitley I think using a flashcart makes way more sense than a fake cart but going by this thread lots of people like fake carts even over flash carts. not my taste but I don't see the problem as long as it's not destructive, the fact that it devalues a legit "collector's item" should be considered a good thing, imo

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have some games, around 20-30 for my systems each (NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC, Megadrive/Genesis) but I've mostly bought them a few years back when the market was still more affordable. This year I've bought very little, if anything, trimming my collection (getting rid of my PAL stuff etc.). I'm not exactly swimming in cash so I have a real hard time telling myself that I should get a 100 € game instead of one 100 € flashcart. Although I don't own any flashcarts yet (a lot of is me still contemplating on whether the cheaper Super Everdrive would be sufficient for my current erratic gaming style) I will get 'em in the future.

On the other hand I don't think I'd want to sell my collection even if I do get flashcarts. I might still pick up games if a good deal comes along. And knowing myself I'd go mad if I sold my NES/Famicom/SNES/MD stuff and kept my burned Saturn and PS1 games. (which is another thing I'm more than happy to do nowadays).

All in all I'm firmly in the camp who wants to play the games on the original hardware - got my PVM and RGB consoles, but I have no nostalgia about the cart itself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Even thrift stores and garage sales aren't as great as they used to be.

Nowadays, all the Goodwills around here shuffle their video game stuff into the Saturday afternoon live auction cases because they know some ebay flipper rear end in a top hat is going to grab it for an unreasonable amount.

There's no such thing as a good deal anymore because everybody knows how much a thing goes for and everybody knows to price it at like 150% of that or more. I didn't even bother going in on the auction for a Jazz Chorus I saw recently because even though the starting bid was $50, I knew it was going to go for like ten times that.

Last time I found something interesting at a thrift store, it was Rambo on the NES for $7.

Not the sort of story you come to the thread with like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND."

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

d0s posted:

oh definitley I think using a flashcart makes way more sense than a fake cart but going by this thread lots of people like fake carts even over flash carts. not my taste but I don't see the problem as long as it's not destructive, the fact that it devalues a legit "collector's item" should be considered a good thing, imo

I'm not even worried about it devaluing my collection. My lizard brain likes to collect things, but it for whatever reason It has to be authentic things. To me a collection of fake games is like having a collection of fake Coach purses.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not even worried about it devaluing my collection. My lizard brain likes to collect things, but it for whatever reason It has to be authentic things. To me a collection of fake games is like having a collection of fake Coach purses.

I agree that getting fake games for "collector" reasons is strange, and apart from a few edge cases flash carts provide way more utility. I have a shitload of legit games and no flash carts or repros (but lots of burned CDs), but I don't really consider myself a collector, I got most of my games when this stuff was still cheap and have almost everything I want. to me a collection is a hassle and I keep getting closer and closer to cashing out and getting all the flash carts

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I can't think of flash carts as things to collect. They're more tools that allow you to get games on real hardware that you might not have been able to afford.

8bitdo stuff is the same way. It's a tool to help enjoy the retro gaming scene, but in no way is it a collectible item.

Now here's a new thing: how you guys feel about repro boxes and manuals? Works for getting shelf candy, just like repro carts.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

xamphear posted:

Can confirm. I have an NES30 and an SNES30 and the SNES30 has a higher build quality. The NES30 isn't bad or anything, it's just not as good. My NES30 also has a mushy D-pad Up, so I'm going to swap it out, hoping that's just a one-off defect.

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one. Or a Wii U pro controller, or a Dual Shock 4. I hope they keep making more receivers. Genesis, N64, Gamecube, PS1/2... It'd be great to play PS1 and PS2 games with a Dual Shock 4.

Has anyone else experienced a slight buzzing with the NES30 plugged in? I haven't tried it on my setup yet but a friend had noticable audio buzzing as soon as the bluetooth light came on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That means that your AC adapter is poo poo, you should get a stronger one.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

cosmicjim posted:

that's why you're not a film nerd and you're a game nerd. talk to a movie nerd about film projection vs digital and they'll tell you about 35mm and why it's better than digital etc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am surprised no one posted this article about NES games on the Microsoft VR thing!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/video_augmented_reality_nes_gaming_finally_gives_us_a_reason_to_want_microsofts_hololens

xamphear posted:

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one.

OK this I had NO idea about. That is amazing. I am now buying 2 NES receivers. Yeah it will be a bit blasphemous playing NES games with an SNES controller, but not having my 1 year old rip the consoles out of the wall and me not having to worry about where the wire is dangling is huge.

As for you wanting to replace the mushy d-pad in your NES30, though I cannot confirm with the NES30 because I do not own one, the SNES30 is absolutely identical to the original SNES controller inside (meaning the membranes and stuff). As an experiment I swapped out the d-pad, the d-pad membrane, the ABXY buttons, the ABXY membranes, and the L and R buttons and membranes between a real SNES controller and the SNES30 and it fit perfectly.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I can't think of flash carts as things to collect. They're more tools that allow you to get games on real hardware that you might not have been able to afford.

The only reason I would buy more than 1 flashcart is because I am very paranoid and if my SD2SNES or Everdrive N8 dies or gets stolen in 20 years, I am pretty sure I am 100% poo poo out of luck in ever finding a replacement. I thought I was insane for having two Sega Saturn modchips but here we are in a situation where there are zero out there now. The only thing that stopped me from actually doing it is that they are not cheap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

But there's lots of forever discontinued ones to collect. :twisted:

Not to mention all the disk based copiers and the like.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus I'm sorry I touched off a shitstorm. I considered a repro of Gun Nac as it's the cheapest short term option to have the game to shove into my NES, but definitely not the best long term option. Hell I am one of those cart loving freaks, I could buy a flashcart but I couldn't sell out the rest of my collection to do it (see my stack of NGPC games in addition to a flashcart). Plus I'm not sure I could handle the pressure of owning a $170 game. I'd be too afraid something would happen to it.

Ineffiable posted:

Now here's a new thing: how you guys feel about repro boxes and manuals? Works for getting shelf candy, just like repro carts.

Like reproducing the originals or those universal plastic clamshell game cases? I don't mind the universal cases with a nice insert in the front but redoing the original packaging is kinda dumb and opens up a big can of worms. A good chunk of those game boxes were probably meant to be disposable anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Right now the best place to start with retro collecting is the PS2 generation because you can still get many games really cheap, and though ps2 emulation has gotten really good it's still not 100% (I'm not sure where OG Xbox emulation is at). Although being honest I don't know how long this is gonna last. That price creep is slowly settling in. But FOR NOW you can jump in there.

I mean you're gonna have some games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance that cost way too much but thankfully they're the exception FOR NOW for now (for now)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ineffiable posted:

This is pretty much what I did over the past few years, and I haven't regretted it. I kept my favorites for each system, and I only re-bought one or two of the games I sold off. And that was because they were cheap to acquire again.

Of course, if you're cashing out you could wait and see if prices will get even more insane. Anything deemed rare seems to go up at least 20 percent each year.

I wonder how much further it'll go. People pay almost $500 for the Hagane box (yes, just the box) these days. Will we see a future where Pocky & Rocky costs more than a house and the evening news does a piece on someone who found a "million dollar" video game called Metal Warriors?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

shame candy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Right now the best place to start with retro collecting is the PS2 generation because you can still get many games really cheap, and though ps2 emulation has gotten really good it's still not 100% (I'm not sure where OG Xbox emulation is at). Although being honest I don't know how long this is gonna last. That price creep is slowly settling in. But FOR NOW you can jump in there.

I mean you're gonna have some games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance that cost way too much but thankfully they're the exception FOR NOW for now (for now)

How about a complete copy of Blood Will Tell?

I was looking up prices really quick to make some jokes; when the gently caress did Yakuza 2, Echo Night Beyond, and Obscure become so absurdly expensive? The escalating prices on Rule of Rose and Kuon is to be expected since those are severely underprinted horror games that never really got cheap, but you couldn't give Obscure away!

Also loose disks of Dark Cloud 2 going for $25? I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago for $3...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

I've got ten games in their original cardboard boxes (9 5200, 1 GBA) but that's only because that's how they were on the shelf when I bought them. Everything else has been cart-only or in some form of plastic jewel case or clamshell box. Fake packaging is pointless. If you're collecting it for the packaging, you're not actually collecting it, you're manufacturing it. If you're producing packaging that can't be distinguished from the real thing, you're probably contributing to people getting scammed, if not now, then down the road when someone else buys your poo poo. And who here's got so few games that it's feasible to make or obtain fake packaging so that the collection is entirely boxed? What, you make a fake box for Wrecking Crew but leave your other 40 NES games unboxed? What even is the point?

I'm cool with people doing nice graphics or reproduction box art for those clamshell cases you can get for your old cartridges, that's totally reasonable in making a shelf look nice and neat. But cardboard? Nah, gently caress that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The only reason I would buy more than 1 flashcart is because I am very paranoid and if my SD2SNES or Everdrive N8 dies or gets stolen in 20 years, I am pretty sure I am 100% poo poo out of luck in ever finding a replacement. I thought I was insane for having two Sega Saturn modchips but here we are in a situation where there are zero out there now. The only thing that stopped me from actually doing it is that they are not cheap.

I think that's a reasonable fear. There's not really that many out there and there's only a few individuals who bother making them. And it's pretty easy for them to get tired of making them or trickle out at a glacial pace which leads to year long wait lists or something.

That's why I bought the dream cast gdu flash drive thing. I know cd drives are gonna have more of a chance to crap out than anything else so I effectively made my dream cast immortal (I even have a spare system I can use for parts or transfer the gdu into) I hope to do the same thing for my Saturn one day.

I feel like it's highly unlikely a flash cart could die without it being an accident and I'll find it funny if someone has to report a flash cart on a police report. Just seems like they'd just take your TV and be done with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

How about a complete copy of Blood Will Tell?

I was looking up prices really quick to make some jokes; when the gently caress did Yakuza 2, Echo Night Beyond, and Obscure become so absurdly expensive? The escalating prices on Rule of Rose and Kuon is to be expected since those are severely underprinted horror games that never really got cheap, but you couldn't give Obscure away!

Also loose disks of Dark Cloud 2 going for $25? I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago for $3...

Yeah its funny but I think ps2 is already too late. The turning point was when gamestop was clearing out about 3 years ago. And sadly, gamestop threw out a lot of cases and manuals and sold them as disc only to save space. Getting good ps2 game cases and manuals might be almost as rare as cart games which is funny because you'd think it'd just be an easy thing to get complete.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I solve the box dilemma by not displaying boxes, even if I have em (except optical disc games). boxes go in storage or sold, bare carts go on the shelf. even genesis games :unsmigghh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah its funny but I think ps2 is already too late. The turning point was when gamestop was clearing out about 3 years ago. And sadly, gamestop threw out a lot of cases and manuals and sold them as disc only to save space. Getting good ps2 game cases and manuals might be almost as rare as cart games which is funny because you'd think it'd just be an easy thing to get complete.

We're in this situation now for DS games. The point in which you can get good ds games sub $10 at gamestop is over now only the shovelware crap is left in store. And again they chucked the cases to save space. DS game cases are currently cheap on ebay, but I suspect that will rise eventually, especially as Dumpster diver/gamestop employees/savvy trade in people run out of a steady supply of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2016

• Locked thread