Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
Ha this is funny to me. When my brother joined the reserves he couldn't get his initial underwear issue because "reserved for deployment" was there a brief shortage in Afghanistan? And I've had at least one ex that used the new high tech "notional" ammunition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So are they still doing Division-Level exercises with the Reserves this year? Stalwart Guardian will be a shitshow.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and:
[G&M] Canada expected to send troops to Latvia to deter Russia

Looks like it's time to dust off those old Cold War training manuals, boys! Except this time it's not the Fulda Gap, it's... whatever big obstacle there is in Latvia. Potato Gap.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Time to start memorizing the Grenovian Mech Bde on the march again

:suicide:

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I felt a disturbance in the Forces, as though a thousand Warrant Officers cried out together, "It's back to basics, boys!"

I'm hoping it's the Narva Isthmus. Estonian ladies are prettier, and I like the idea of having 2 large bodies of water on my flanks.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If we get M109's back and I can drink like I'm in Baden–Soellingen, I volunteer!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone filed a grievance before? I've been hosed around with by my chain of command for two years but I'm afraid even with an assisting officer filing with make things worse not better. I also don't want to ruin someone's career, just resolve the issue.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frosted Flake posted:

Has anyone filed a grievance before? I've been hosed around with by my chain of command for two years but I'm afraid even with an assisting officer filing with make things worse not better. I also don't want to ruin someone's career, just resolve the issue.

I did once.

You've got 3 months from the day you knew you had grounds to file a grievance to file it with your chain of command.
Your C.O. has 10 days to forward to higher authority if he can not resolve the issue himself.
A decision has to be made within 4 month of receipt of your grievance.
You've got 30 days to appeal a decision if it isn't to your liking.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-grievance/index.page

I didn't want to rock the boat either, but sometimes if buddy is loving you without lube you gotta speak up for yourself and others.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thanks. This is causing me major problems, and is outside of my ability to resolve. Everyone I go to suggests that another office/officer should handle it.

I guess I need to find an assisting officer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
An alternate approach could be the ombudsman, as a mostly impartial 3rd party.

Comedy option - drunk email someone with 'general' attached to their name in the CF address book.

You're within your rights to pick any assisting officer you want, although they also have the right to refuse.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CANFORGEN about Pokemon Go.

This is in the fine tradition of the CrossFit CANFORGEN and the selfies in classified areas briefing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In all fairness, the US had an OPSEC brief about Pokemon Go first. We just have to keep up with our closest NATO ally.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

How many times do we need to tell these people not to run around throwing their balls at everything that makes their pants buzz.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-frigates-mouldy-1.3685779

When I was TDed to [unnamed west coast frigate] in oh, 2007, there was a shitton of black mold then. The way the vent trunking ran directly over the showers in the washplace made it so there was zero percent chance of ever getting it clean, let alone through disgruntled OS-LS forced to clean the same spot an hour a day 7 days a week. My regular ship didn't have the same problem; one was a St. John build, the other a Davie.

Also on that sail, there was a massive puke splash in one of the after washplaces that didn't get cleaned for easily 2 weeks. Super weird because I remember we had to stand by for inspection nightly. It's also fun when you go to ultra-quiet state and can't use the toilets, but people still poo poo and piss in them because obviously you can't hold it for 6-8 goddamn hours.

My first ever sail the urinal in the washplace by my mess overflowed and had about 3 inches of water sloshing around the whole thing and dudes were walking in it barefoot, because they're gross as hell I guess.

I remember the Cox'n during one inspection reaching behind a toilet (again, super hard to clean because of a maze of pipes) with bare hands and scooping out a fistful of mung, saying "Could use a clean" and then carrying on with inspecting after flinging the mess into a garbage can.

Also, separating already processed food garbage (of 240 people or so...) upon arrival in South Korea by hand, because they wouldn't accept it if it wasn't arranged according to their super strict rules.

Working the garbage processing plant in 40+ degree heat and insane humidity in the south Pacific, bags splitting and dropping rancid sauce on you from above...

Anyway, warships are loving disgusting so what's a little black mold to people working in conditions like that?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Navy is hosed eh? Why is it so politically toxic to buy foreign ships while Canadian ship yards build up? Hell, we could get those helicarriers from the French or something and expand our capabilities!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Because BUY CANADIAN BUY CANADIAN BUY CANADIAN IRVING FAMILY HALIFAX JERBS JERBS JERBS ELECTIONS pretty much

Could we buy ships for a pittance of what it would cost to make them? Yes. Will we? No. Why? Because it's political suicide.

See; a similar reason the TTC continues to buy from Bombardier after they've hosed up the billionth time.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Real talk, our Navy has like what, 15 ships?

Asking for a friend.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Wikipedia is showing 15 at CFB Esquimalt, and 18 at CFB Halifax.

I have no idea how many are actually being used.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Or seaworthy.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone care to give an O/U on the Navy having more seaworthy vessels than BC Ferries?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

No because that's too depressing to contemplate

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it true that the Navy got Bofors (guns, mounts, parts?) from war monuments to put on ships?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it true that the Navy got Bofors (guns, mounts, parts?) from war monuments to put on ships?

Don't think they made it to monuments, but the 40mm on the reservist boats did duty as airfield defence in Europe in the 50s. They fairly recently trialed a remote control dual 50 cal mount that worked pretty well but, you know...

There would be 5 CPFs on the west coast, two subs I think, and half the MCDVs so 6, at least one of which is "out of routine" at any one time (unavailable - deep maintenance, no crew. Probably even more these days). Destroyer and tanker are gone, so minus the two destroyers and tanker on the east coast too.

I'm fairly certain the last true Canadian task group (on the west coast) sailed around 2003 - two frigates, a destroyer and tanker as a self-sustaining, useful entity. Can't do that anymore, and won't be able to until after I retire I bet. Post-2022. Thankfully I'm in the air force now, which while in fairly rough shape isn't nearly that bad.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canadian Forces: There is always less, and it is always worse.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Canadian Forces: There is always less, and it is always worse.

Canadian Forces: At least you're not on Phoenix.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

PLQ Army in Pet is a pretty good (hardish) course. To do well on it you have to be a keen soldier and physically fit. Its a great course to test yourself on, but if you're not a combats arms trade you're gonna have a bad time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good stuff. How was the heat? I'm sweating through combats in Ottawa, on the way to my air conditioned desk job.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

PLQ Army in Pet is a pretty good (hardish) course. To do well on it you have to be a keen soldier and physically fit. Its a great course to test yourself on, but if you're not a combats arms trade you're gonna have a bad time.

Aren't you recce? Did they change PLQ since 2010 or something?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

acumen posted:

Aren't you recce? Did they change PLQ since 2010 or something?

To do well you basically need to be combat arms. It was a pretty physically demanding course / focused on tactics and procedures on things that are not taught.

Other people passed, but they had a really tough time.

EDIT: And I changed trades to be a desk guy now!

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Got lost during the Recce portion of the course as 2IC, only reason I didn't fail was constantly badgering the the patrol leader to just take out his map and compass and take a bearing.

"Nah man, we just need to get over this next hill and we'll be there. I know what I'm doing. :smug: "

It's a weird concept that you can be the biggest gently caress up in the world as section commander in the field and not be penalized for it as long as you don't curl up in a fetal position sobbing, but as the 2IC you will fail since you weren't supporting your section commander properly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was there another training accident? Heard someone died at Meaford.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

He went missing in Owen Sound the night after graduation and they found his body 6 days later near the water filtration plant.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/owen-sound-police-news-conference-andrew-fitzgerald-missing-soldier-1.3727833

No indication in any articles on whether they're suspecting foul play.

Update:

The investigation is concluded, police doesn't suspect foul play.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/andrew-fitzgerald-canadian-armed-forces-owen-sound-1.3735911

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 26, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guys at work were saying we're due for a pay raise this year because some federal unions just negotiated theirs. How disappointed should I expect to be? I know nothing about this process but want to believe.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Always be prepared for disappointment.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That would make a great threat sub-title.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mdivi posted:

Always be prepared for disappointment.

Due to the budget cutbacks, you will have to provide your own disappointment

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can I put disappointment on my Canex plan?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Due to current fiscal constraints, units will be required to supply notional disappointment until further notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

Guest2553 posted:

Guys at work were saying we're due for a pay raise this year because some federal unions just negotiated theirs. How disappointed should I expect to be? I know nothing about this process but want to believe.

There's an internal website dedicated to questions like this, and in it you will find that yes, rises are linked to PSAC negotiations. Generally, it seems limited to COLA and may be backdated (now we're dreaming). I can't find any external reference to this, but if I can figure out the search terms on that wonderful engine it may be useful, as I have heard so many personal theories on how things happen; it feels like nearly all admin decisions are based on how someone maybe remembers how another told them what the rules felt like.

What truly must be remembered is that nothing exists until it is in your account, and even then, double check it.