Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Chariot fighting was prestige symbol in Bronze Age Mediterranean because it takes a lot of wherewithal to build a chariot, get the horses to drive it and the guy to drive you around in it. If you had chariots that meant you were a big man. But there is basically no evidence that chariots were used for actual fighting in Greece in historical times. Even Homer's champions don't fight from their chariots by and large, they tend to ride to the battle in them, dismount, and fight on foot, only getting back in their chariots if they need to get away, and some famous historian though I forget who has suggested that this is because Homeric Greeks didn't have any idea how chariot fighting actually worked (basically by disrupting formations and launching arrows/javelins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

After Alexander died and his empire split up, did the Greeks stick with the longer sarrissa or did they quickly switch back to more of a shield and spear formation?

I've read that the Sarissa was introduced by Phillip of Macedon. Is that the first time stupidly long spears/pikes were used?

While I'm asking about pikes, can someone explain why cavalry was so prestigious in the ancient world? It seems like most of the heavy lifting in most of the battles I read about is handled by the infantry with cavalry usually only mentioned when they get driven off or penned in. With all these hoplites and phalanxes running around with spears ideally suited to driving off horses, cavalry seems especially useless in Greece but even Homer makes special mention of good horses and chariots.
Ten thousand horse only equal ten thousand men upon their backs, neither less nor more. Did any one ever die in battle from the bite or kick of a horse? It is the men, the real swordsmen, who do whatever is done in battles. In fact we, on our stout shanks, are better mounted than those cavalry fellows; there they hang on to their horses' necks in mortal dread, not only of us, but of falling off; while we, well planted upon earth, can deal far heavier blows to our assailants, and aim more steadily at who we will. There is one point, I admit, in which their cavalry have the whip-hand of us; it is safer for them than it is for us to run away.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i want that tattooed on my lower back, right in the tramp stamp position

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Pikes were known before Philip, iirc some were used on ships.

Poor people couldn't afford horses or chariots and infantry had to look up when they spoke to cavalrymen. Cavalry made better scouts than infantry did. Most of the heavy lifting was done by infantry, but cavalry could turn enemy's retreat into a massacre. Greeks used chariots mainly to carry heavily armoured nobles to combat, but they fought dismounted. Not all of the infantry was armed with long spears, skirmish troops in disorganized formations were easy pickings for heavy cavalry.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cavalry are richer, die less, and kill more dudes each (because most casualties happen in the pursuit). They're the fighter pilots of the ancient world.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jazerus posted:

Cavalry are richer, die less, and kill more dudes each (because most casualties happen in the pursuit). They're the fighter pilots of the ancient world.

Llamas are f-35s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whoa, huge slam on llamas out of nowhere.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

After Alexander died and his empire split up, did the Greeks stick with the longer sarrissa or did they quickly switch back to more of a shield and spear formation?

Actually, some of his successors went with even longer sarissas. As far as I'm aware that remained a thing til the Romans kicked their faces in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Actually, some of his successors went with even longer sarissas. As far as I'm aware that remained a thing til the Romans kicked their faces in.
was it another pike arms race like what happened in the 16th and 17th c?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Their galley arms race was one of the most beautiful things in military history.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Quails aren't poisonous, though. I'd imagine a lot of people did eat them, while rolling their eyes at this "poisonous quails" bullshit.
17th century military theorists from Spain to the Ottoman Empire are convinced that if soldiers eat grapes, they die

people will plan strategies around forcing your enemy's army to go where there are vineyards

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

17th century military theorists from Spain to the Ottoman Empire are convinced that if soldiers eat grapes, they die

people will plan strategies around forcing your enemy's army to go where there are vineyards

George Washington posted:

If your enemy is too drunk to fight, you win

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Random beliefs that something is deadly poison continued for a long time. Into the 19th century there were people who believed raw tomatoes would absolutely kill you, even though other cultures had had no issue eating them.

Now that is understandable, considering tomatoes are part of the Solanums (Nightshades), which makes everything on a tomato-plant outside of the fruit itself poisonous.

The poison isn't very strong though, at most eating the green parts of a tomato-plant will make you vomit. (Please don't test this, if you end up in hospital getting your stomach pumped it will be your own drat fault.)

HEY GAL posted:

Now this on the other hand is just sad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Now this on the other hand is just sad
it's from this article, which is goddamn beautiful and a stellar example of how you have to pay attention to more people than Western Europeans if you want to study 17th century central european warfare

ed: he's wrong about army size tho

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

it's from this article, which is goddamn beautiful and a stellar example of how you have to pay attention to more people than Western Europeans if you want to study 17th century central european warfare

ed: he's wrong about army size tho

what are the correct numbers then

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Libluini posted:

Now that is understandable, considering tomatoes are part of the Solanums (Nightshades), which makes everything on a tomato-plant outside of the fruit itself poisonous.

The poison isn't very strong though, at most eating the green parts of a tomato-plant will make you vomit. (Please don't test this, if you end up in hospital getting your stomach pumped it will be your own drat fault.)

The point is that people in other places had already figured out it was ok to eat raw tomatoes, often quite a while before. The people still refusing to eat them were mostly in England and the eastern US for whatever reason, while the French were fine with eating them, and the Italians were downright obsessed with eating them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

what are the correct numbers then

"a lot lower than he thinks for the thirty years' war"
see this book for a discussion of how difficult it is to track. i think it's chap. 3
https://books.google.de/books?id=xDr26glfOHoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

ed: people a while back, like the sources the author in that link used, just counted regiments/companies and called it a day. but army size fluctuated insanely and nobody expected a regiment to be at "theoretical full strength" at the time anyway, that's what the article i'm working on now is about, which is why i posted that graph in the milhist thread

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 20, 2016

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Hogge Wild posted:

Their galley arms race was one of the most beautiful things in military history.

It really, really is. I should finish that effortpost I was doing about classical/hellenistic navies...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

So are soldiers unique in their vulnerability to the insidious grape or did they think French peasants regularly keeled over

I mean they did, but not more than any other peasants

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

FishFood posted:

It really, really is. I should finish that effortpost I was doing about classical/hellenistic navies...

Yes.
Yes you should.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

ed: people a while back, like the sources the author in that link used, just counted regiments/companies and called it a day. but army size fluctuated insanely and nobody expected a regiment to be at "theoretical full strength" at the time anyway, that's what the article i'm working on now is about, which is why i posted that graph in the milhist thread

Hell this applies even in the modern era during wartime, when in theory these days we have much better tracking. You can't look at e.g. the Eastern Front in World War 2 and say 'ok, so the Soviets have <x> regiments, their theoretical strength is <y>, so they had x times y dudes'; theoretical TOE and actual numbers were wildly different.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

LLSix posted:

I've read that the Sarissa was introduced by Phillip of Macedon. Is that the first time stupidly long spears/pikes were used?

While I'm asking about pikes, can someone explain why cavalry was so prestigious in the ancient world? It seems like most of the heavy lifting in most of the battles I read about is handled by the infantry with cavalry usually only mentioned when they get driven off or penned in. With all these hoplites and phalanxes running around with spears ideally suited to driving off horses, cavalry seems especially useless in Greece but even Homer makes special mention of good horses and chariots.

Successor armies very much continued with the Macedonian phalanx, if anything as the successor kingdoms started running into manpower issues later on in the period their armies rely more and more on straight pike formations (which because of simultaneous developments in equipment and doctrine also became less mobile than the phalanxes of Phillip/Alexander). This is to the detriment of the sort of professional "combined arms" force that Alexander used, which saw the phalanx in an "anvil" role, pinning the enemy in place so the cavalry could run around the back and charge from behind. Most of the big losses against the Romans happened because the Roman maniples had mobility over pike formations, and could simply outflank any phalanx formation the successor states flung at them.

And yeah, you're right, cavalry was pretty marginal in the ancient world. Most cavalry forces were screening formations or used to chase down fleeing troops in a rout, their prestige largely came from the economic costs of being able to maintain a horse and cavalry equipment. In Greece, very few of the city states developed a notable cavalry force, with the exception of the Boeotians and the Thessalians who had more open terrain to facilitate a cavalry force, the terrain simply wasn't suited for it in the rest of Greece. It's not until Phillip that you see anything resembling shock cavalry used to deliver decisive blows. Actually, the Thessalians nearly had a Phillip like figure in Jason of Pherae, he sort of prefigures the sort of military reforms and hegemonic ambitions you see a few decades later with Phillip, but he died in his bed before anything could come of it.

The Romans never really developed a cavalry either, relying on auxiliaries in that role.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hellequin posted:

The Romans never really developed a cavalry either, relying on auxiliaries in that role.

They did eventually. In late antiquity the cavalry became a major component of the forces guarding the borders, and the catraphracts were a big deal in the medieval empire.

But you're right that up to that point cavalry were more of a scouting/harassment force than a key component of the army. The classical Roman army was entirely built around having the best heavy infantry in the ancient world.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hellequin posted:

Successor armies very much continued with the Macedonian phalanx, if anything as the successor kingdoms started running into manpower issues later on in the period their armies rely more and more on straight pike formations (which because of simultaneous developments in equipment and doctrine also became less mobile than the phalanxes of Phillip/Alexander). This is to the detriment of the sort of professional "combined arms" force that Alexander used, which saw the phalanx in an "anvil" role, pinning the enemy in place so the cavalry could run around the back and charge from behind.
do you think this is why lots of people end up thinking pikes are less mobile in the 16th and 17th century as well, with the worst informed even saying people never attacked with pikes? because i've seen that on the internet a bunch and it is not backed up by the writings of Maurice of Nassau and Montecuccoli

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Grand Fromage posted:

They did eventually. In late antiquity the cavalry became a major component of the forces guarding the borders, and the catraphracts were a big deal in the medieval empire.

But you're right that up to that point cavalry were more of a scouting/harassment force than a key component of the army. The classical Roman army was entirely built around having the best heavy infantry in the ancient world.

Oh yeah definitely, by late antiquity you do start seeing more heavy cavalry because of Roman experiences in the Parthian wars, and by the time the stirrup shows up in the 6th/7th century cavalry is king. On the other hand, according to Polybius the cavalry of the early Republic didn't even wear armour beyond an ox-hide shield, and by the Jugurthine war, Roman cavalry is made up almost exclusively of non-citizens.

HEY GAL posted:

do you think this is why lots of people end up thinking pikes are less mobile in the 16th and 17th century as well, with the worst informed even saying people never attacked with pikes? because i've seen that on the internet a bunch and it is not backed up by the writings of Maurice of Nassau and Montecuccoli

I wouldn't know, my area is actually Classical/Hellenistic cultural history and literature. If we're talking Macedonian phalanxes, they were definitely used offensively in charges during Phillip and Alexander's time, but as the pikes got longer and heavier (from around 5 metres during Phillip's time to 7 metres by the mid 2nd century), and their armour got heavier the formations lost a lot of mobility and their capability for sudden charges. I don't know something similar happened with the 16th/17th century units, but I'm not really certain if you could make a direct comparison.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

Pretend I posted that video of the twat in the jumper talking about how he can't work out what role pikes played on the 17th century battlefield, therefore pikes are objectively poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does anyone have a good rec for a social history book of classical times. Like "how women and children lived" and what normal people did.

Getting tired of phalanxes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hellequin posted:

I wouldn't know, my area is actually Classical/Hellenistic cultural history and literature. If we're talking Macedonian phalanxes, they were definitely used offensively in charges during Phillip and Alexander's time, but as the pikes got longer and heavier (from around 5 metres during Phillip's time to 7 metres by the mid 2nd century), and their armour got heavier the formations lost a lot of mobility and their capability for sudden charges. I don't know something similar happened with the 16th/17th century units, but I'm not really certain if you could make a direct comparison.

The successor states also bled one another dry and the training and skill of the phalangites dropped a ton from Alexander's time. Alexander's troops were far more akin to Hegel's people, in terms of mobility and ability to do drilled maneuvers. As the ability to train and drill drops off, they compensate with longer pikes and more armor, which is what leads to the romans beating them startlingly quickly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

euphronius posted:

Roman during the Samnite wars detected

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

Pretend I posted that video of the twat in the jumper talking about how he can't work out what role pikes played on the 17th century battlefield, therefore pikes are objectively poo poo

Is that the same guy who whines about archery in movies because it's impossible to pull a bow with a bent arm or some such bollocks?

Lift a weight, nerd.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"it can't be possible to walk quickly, and then stab"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

that argument makes my eyes hurt because there are hundreds of books on that topic alone and they're so old they're all available for free on googlebooks

there's all the diagrams of little dudes you need in those things

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

that argument makes my eyes hurt because there are hundreds of books on that topic alone and they're so old they're all available for free on googlebooks

there's all the diagrams of little dudes you need in those things

Yeah I lost it within a minute where he talks about all the different branches of a 17th century army, but can't put together the fact that at the very least you team up musketeers with pikemen so the pikemen protect the gun men from the horsies. Something you could have found out in about 10 minutes of research.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have a good rec for a social history book of classical times. Like "how women and children lived" and what normal people did.

The first volume of A History of Private Life

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MikeCrotch posted:

Wait, someone was that dumb?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Plenty of American children grew up being taught that British redcoats wore bright uniforms and matched in formation solely because they were stupid.

But yeah I want to see this video too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

euphronius posted:

Hesiod's Works and Days is advice to his dumb brother on how to not gently caress up farming in ancient Greece. It's good but short.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

P-Mack posted:

Plenty of American children grew up being taught that British redcoats wore bright uniforms and matched in formation solely because they were stupid.

But yeah I want to see this video too.

I remember being taught that. The reason we got was so that generals could see their troops better through the smoke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sbaldrick posted:

here is the deets.

british 17th century stuff is influenced real hard by british 17th century reenactors. and those dudes do not know how to fight.

it's entirely possible he saw a reenactment and thought that was how things went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

You could read Mary Beards stuff. You could also watch them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggk_H3jEgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIY6AE4m6E