Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

And personally I dont think she has some kinda of secret masterplan other than just what she said (try to become big and also do some good inside e-corp) otherwise, why she would not tell her father about it?

I think she started off without one, now she's found it. And so far she is crushing it on every level. I think selling out her father was a thing she had to do to make Price tip his hat.

DiPierro is a straight up Bloodhound. I can't wait for more scenes with those two. Angela is almost my favourite character, even from last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was thinking: how about when Darlene went to visit Eliot and asked about the "she devil" or something? Who was she talking about?

edit: thinking better, probably that female guard we see by the very end of the episode

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was thinking: how about when Darlene went to visit Eliot and asked about the "she devil" or something? Who was she talking about?

edit: thinking better, probably that female guard we see by the very end of the episode

Also possible, we were hearing through Elliott and she didn't actually say that.

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 20, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Powers posted:

Also possible, we were heading through Elliott and she didn't actually say that.

I dont think so. It seems to me that everything that happened really happened, everything that was said was really said, all Elliot's interactions actually happened the way they did etc.

Its just that Elliot covered it all with this illusion "layer" so we would not know where he really was

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real guard's line, "See you tomorrow," was meant to indicate she was the guard Elliot had the most contact with and Darlene would likely have heard about.

Also, while this show and OitNB do portray transwomen prisoners differently, they're both set in NY.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Mameluke posted:

I think the real guard's line, "See you tomorrow," was meant to indicate she was the guard Elliot had the most contact with and Darlene would likely have heard about.

Also, while this show and OitNB do portray transwomen prisoners differently, they're both set in NY.

Sophia had bottom surgery, that is why she gets housed in a women's prison. Prison Yard Pyro, I would assume, has not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing the mobile game and it's been pretty interesting. The only big issue with it is that there are invisible timers on everything so you have to play it on their time frame.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I had to restart the game because I couldn't live with myself knowing I let everyone down by loving it all up. I'm not very good at convincing people you see.

Spoilers maybe idk: I noticed that while you should only know Elliot as "E", on some dialog options you straight up call him Elliot, not sure if oversight or a hint at some kind of mindfuck waiting to reveal itself

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So just caught up last night.

I liked the reveal and how obvious it was after the fact.

I also love how season 1 was Fight Club and season 2 is the Shawshank Redemption. The Shawshank similarities in that episode were pretty blatant. All the chess references, the friendship of Elliot/Leon and Andy/Red (and how they sit on the identical benches with the scenes set up the same way), the Bogs rape scene, the isolation cell after disobeying the Warden, the fact the Warden (Ray) is doing illegal poo poo and Elliot/Andy take them down just as they are released/escape. I bet Elliot is also in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ive been playing separate games on my phone and iPad, so it's been pretty cool to see what happens when you make different decisions.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I haven't binged a show like this since Utopia. I don't know whether it's because of how fast I've been watching the episodes but when I was reading this thread alongside I guessed basically none of the twists - that picture of the light placement is crazy. They are all done so well though. I was groaning at the idea of an asylum/ prison but the execution was great and explained prior stuff like why the hospital was poo poo.

Tldr: great show, more Leon please.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

insider posted:

I also love how season 1 was Fight Club and season 2 is the Shawshank Redemption. The Shawshank similarities in that episode were pretty blatant. All the chess references, the friendship of Elliot/Leon and Andy/Red (and how they sit on the identical benches with the scenes set up the same way), the Bogs rape scene, the isolation cell after disobeying the Warden, the fact the Warden (Ray) is doing illegal poo poo and Elliot/Andy take them down just as they are released/escape. I bet Elliot is also in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Some Shutter Island too

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

insider posted:

This was something I was considering before the reveal when I first caught up and got to this thread and saw the institution theory. After the reveal, I was just thinking how it's a great parallel sorry, but I didn't even pick up on the details like sitting in the bleachers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Okay, I've got three theories now that I thought about it a bit more.

First, Tyrell's wife either killed Tyrell or helped Elliot dispose of the body. This is why she was acting so crazy when Elliot asked her at the end of S1 where Tyrell was, either she was covering up for the murder or is wondering why this person who she helped hide the body is asking where he is. This is why she needed to bribe the parking lot attendant. It's not that she's covering up for Elliot, it's that she's covering up for herself. This is why she believes she deserves Tyrell's severance (or whatever it's called in this situation) and why she's moving on to the new guy instead of holding out for Tyrell's return. If we're going so far as to suggest Angela is playing stupid to throw of Dom's suspicions that she's involved with the 5/9 hack, then I'll go so far as to say Mrs. Wellick falls for the Paparazzi's tricks (sending her Tyrell-related gifts and calling her) in order to act completely innocent to his disappearance.

Secondly, I bet she pulled some strings to get Elliot incarcerated after realizing he didn't know what he (or she) had done. The knock at Elliot's door at the end of S1 was her body guard taking him away to the prison, one of the few times his abduction was real.

Finally, it's also possible that White Rose is the one who pulled the strings to get Elliot incarcerated. That's also why White Rose had Leon keep Elliot protected. Unfortunately, Leon couldn't keep Elliot out of the Warden's (Ray's) grasp so he still had to end up suffering but in the end, White Rose has Elliot stationed there for a reason. Hell, maybe White Rose needed to take out Ray's operation because it was competition and White Rose was the one who leaked to Ray that Elliot was an extraordinary hacker who could get his operation working again.

All that said, I had to go back and watch the end of S1 scene with Price and White Rose again to figure something out. Price actually didn't want the hack to go through, he's actually at odds with White Rose (I don't know why I thought they were Illuminati-ing it up when they're making deals at the gathering, not laughing over their plans working.) White Rose talks about Rome burning, obviously eluding to the financial collapse of America with the E-Corp hack. Price says he already knows who caused 5/9 and are dealing with it appropriately. So, what, maybe Price got Elliot jailed? Maybe White Rose is protecting Elliot from Price's crew? Maybe Price got Wellick killed? Hard to know how deep this all goes. Can someone remind me how the last Price/White Rose conversation went?

Edit: Welp now I'm going off the deep end. What secret did "we" keep from Elliot that made him not trust "us" again? Whatever it was, it was the cause for him covering up the prison. Apparently he told Krista something that he covered up as well, something that didn't even seem related to the prison. Ugh, re-watching this show makes me ask more questions instead of come up with answers.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

DaveKap posted:

What secret did "we" keep from Elliot that made him not trust "us" again?
My interpretation of that was that Elliot felt that we kept the whole Mr. Robot actually being him thing from him.

I seem to recall him saying something along the lines of "You knew, didn't you?" while looking at the camera in the reveal scene, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, "we" are quite literally the audience. You know how like every single person said from episode 1 that "Mr. Robot is totally in his head"? Well, you kept that information from him and that made him feel betrayed.

In the future when watching this show you should loudly exclaim all relevant facts you've discovered at Elliot whenever possible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While it would gently caress up the awesome writing of the show, and be impossible with how it's written and filmed ahead of time, how mind blowing would it be to have Elliot actually respond a fan theory posted on the internet?

Or like what if he had said "I know you were guessing mental institution, but the truth is a little less constructive..."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Boogaleeboo posted:

In the future when watching this show you should loudly exclaim all relevant facts you've discovered at Elliot whenever possible.
I already do though!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finally caught up with this great show.

I generally agree with what's been said here, but I don't understand all the love for the actress playing Angela. I feel like she's Derek Zoolander and I'm taking crazy pills. Every scene is her staring at someone with a doe eyed fight or flight look on her face for an uncomfortable amount of time before finally giving an emotionless answer.

I wasn't a big fan of Ray's 'I never looked to see what was being sold' thing. Motherfucker you're beating your techs half to death to keep them quiet and terrified, you think they're selling pirated DVDs?

I hope that doing a huge unreliable narrator twist in season 1 and 2 doesn't set a unavoidable trend, even if the prison reveal was really well done.

Finally, lol if you think someone would spend weeks and weeks in prison for stealing a dog.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

counterfeitsaint posted:

I generally agree with what's been said here, but I don't understand all the love for the actress playing Angela. I feel like she's Derek Zoolander and I'm taking crazy pills. Every scene is her staring at someone with a doe eyed fight or flight look on her face for an uncomfortable amount of time before finally giving an emotionless answer.

Yeah, I enjoy Angela's plot but I don't understand why the actress is being directed to look like a robot. She had a reasonable amount of range in Season 1 but she shows virtually no emotion now; the stare of death when she met the guy at fsociety HQ was her biggest moment in season 2.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So elliot is sent to prison for some hacking related crime. Uncovers a big time corrupt silk Road website run by the warden and guards. By showing off his computer savvy.

Then he receives a letter a few days later that white rose wants him to accept.

To me all of this points to him being hired as a white hat by the fbi in return for an early release. Landing him in a position to help Fsociety.

It makes some sense at least and moves the plot forward.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's blending in! This is from july.

“How do I say this without giving anything away? There are moments reading it where I was like, ‘Did I drink the Kool-Aid?’” Finally, Doubleday concedes that Angela "is playing the game really well this season. . . . She’s able to thrive in this environment, and it takes that kind of mind control to constantly be harassing in her thoughts and her feelings.”

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So based on how things are going, I think that Dom and Elliott are on a collision course. One is being targeted by the dark army, and one is being helped. I can't help but think that the dark army and white rose have other plans and we're going to come to a point where Elliott is like NOPE. Hopefully right around the same time Dom is closing in on him. I think it could be cinema magic if Dom's investigation leads her to Elliott right in the middle of him angering the Dark Army and she has to protect them in some intense shootout. Like the "one minute" scene from Breaking Bad jacked up to 11. Please god.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Angela turning into some robotic corporate skin job is probably cover. She has a plan. She's told no one. She's living her cover. And she's planing to ____________.

I have no idea. But I bet it'll own.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Angela turning into some robotic corporate skin job is probably cover. She has a plan. She's told no one. She's living her cover. And she's planing to ____________.

I have no idea. But I bet it'll own.

I was just re-watching S1 and there is a scene when those guys are holding Elliott at his place and Angela shows up. Shes trying to tell Elliott about her big plans but the show kind of drowns out what she is saying.

I bet whatever she said her plan was is what eventually brings down everything in the series finale. The key information will be contained in a moment where Elliott zoned out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They released a tie-in text adventure type of game where you find Darlene's burner phone and have to help her get a file from it back. It's fun. She insults you a lot.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Dugong posted:

So I haven't binged a show like this since Utopia.

poo poo, I just started re-watching Utopia agaaaain yesterday morning again since I'm mourning the loss of the US version. I will sacrifice however many virgins or whatever the hell I have to do to get in the works again, gently caress. So good, ladyboner good.
So sad. Aughk.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Paradox Personified posted:

poo poo, I just started re-watching Utopia agaaaain yesterday morning again since I'm mourning the loss of the US version. I will sacrifice however many virgins or whatever the hell I have to do to get in the works again, gently caress. So good, ladyboner good.
So sad. Aughk.

Without completely derailing this thread, I could see Netflix picking it up depending on how Black Mirror goes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Utopia wasn't that good, though, especially compared to this show and Black Mirror. Having nice widescreen cinematography is no substitute for decent script work.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wasn't a big fan of Ray's 'I never looked to see what was being sold' thing. Motherfucker you're beating your techs half to death to keep them quiet and terrified, you think they're selling pirated DVDs?

I hope that doing a huge unreliable narrator twist in season 1 and 2 doesn't set a unavoidable trend, even if the prison reveal was really well done.

I think Angela acting that way is intentional, and very well done. She wanst like that in season 1. But now she wants to be taken seriously, she wants to be successful and powerful and all that, and this is her clumsy way of going for it, after reading/listening too many self-improvement books. I dont think she has any kind of secret plan, is just that

I agree with you with Ray, it was a bit silly an anticlimactic, and I was expecting that his character would stay for a while. I liked him

And I too hope that "huge unreliable narrator twist" dont become the series gimmick

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

And I too hope that "huge unreliable narrator twist" dont become the series gimmick

Nah, Eliot said that he trusted us and he wouldn't hide anything from us from now on.

He promised!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

timp posted:

Nah, Eliot said that he trusted us and he wouldn't hide anything from us from now on.

He promised!

Season 3 twist: turns out Elliot still doesn't trust us.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Reminder if you are going to discuss whiterose please use the proper pronouns. It's pretty sad to see so much misgendering going on here. The official wiki has an example of how it should go.
http://mrrobot.wikia.com/wiki/Whiterose

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Elias_Maluco posted:

For the first season I was like, "drat, why didnt I see this unreliable narrorator poo poo coming?"

At this moment, I dont think "UN twist" is the right take on it. Rather than a twist I think it's a theme. I can't sympathize with Elliot not trusting me/we/us--he's been bullshitting me for too long and it's my trust in him that's lost. As we are shown in a flashback intro to an episode, Elliot fully intended to get a job in order to take down Evil Corp as a proverbial trojan horse; but when we are introduced to him in Season 1 we get the impression that he's just working a dopey day job.

Basically, I think Elliot's coping mechanisms and tendancies towards secrecy extend to us as the viewer and he encrypts the actual story to hide it from those he doesn't quite trust. But, as evidenced in this thread, if you know where to look and find the clues he's being straight with you. To tell what's actually happening you have to decrypt what he's telling you.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 21, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Reminder if you are going to discuss whiterose please use the proper pronouns. It's pretty sad to see so much misgendering going on here. The official wiki has an example of how it should go.
http://mrrobot.wikia.com/wiki/Whiterose

You're on SA. Pick your battles. However I am genuinely interested in why "xe" is the pronoun in this case.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Quote != edit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Sean posted:

As we are shown in a flashback intro to an episode, Elliot fully intended to get a job in order to take down Evil Corp as a proverbial trojan horse

That wasn't Elliot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Boogaleeboo posted:

That wasn't Elliot.

I get what you're saying but I think its the origin story for Mr Robot and Elliot was making a legit plan on the spot after being locked in a server room for days. I could be wrong, though; do we actually see Elliot's dad-as-Mr Robot show up in that scene? I'm pretty sure thats how he gets the ball rolling: using the movie they were watching as inspiration (such as using the mask and waging war on the upper class), wearing the Mr Robot jacket/costume, finding the arcade to base out of, naming fsociety based on that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 21, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't know the app game adventure thing was done by the people that did Oxenfree. Definitely gonna grab it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, this bothered me too. That would take some incredible amounts of compartmentalization to not think about what was being sold on that site. It sure as poo poo isn't black market cupcakes.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Finally, lol if you think someone would spend weeks and weeks in prison for stealing a dog.

I really want to know what happened to Flipper. :(

ApexAftermath posted:

So based on how things are going, I think that Dom and Elliott are on a collision course.

Their meeting is going to be so gloriously awkward.

• Locked thread