Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
god damnit i forgot how amazing fisher tiger was, fishman island is very hella underrated and its gonna get appreciated like skypiea when the boatloads of future plot poo poo comes back. plus the SH's and luffy took like 3 arcs straight of losses it would almost kill the tension if it was just constant uphill battles and makes dressrosa all the more cooler and pack that punch

i hella dug punk hazard too for how weird it was and being the last time sanji did anything important

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

drjuggalo posted:

god damnit i forgot how amazing fisher tiger was, fishman island is very hella underrated and its gonna get appreciated like skypiea when the boatloads of future plot poo poo comes back. plus the SH's and luffy took like 3 arcs straight of losses it would almost kill the tension if it was just constant uphill battles and makes dressrosa all the more cooler and pack that punch

i hella dug punk hazard too for how weird it was and being the last time sanji did anything important

Fisher Tiger was great, and the Straw Hats getting to show off the results of their training was cool as well. I just found Hody to be little more than off-brand Arlong, and his entourage is largely forgettable (except Zeo, who wanted us to forget him). You could replace them with anime filler villains and it would make no difference.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
that linked scene really is great. im glad koala came back in the capacity she did, it was a nice touch for that storyline. it says a lot too about the fishmen who took her in and did all that considered how utterly terribly they had been treated, fisher tiger in particular. i love that he climbed back up and freed them all, for some reason that's one of the feats in one piece lore that feels really legendary to me in a way

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
I agree with the analysis that Fishman Island suffered from being overhyped. The setting was great (fantastic art), it had a great flashback, and it was fun to see the Strawhat's enormous powerup in action; but the villains were just too lame, and the dilemma overblown by drawn-out pacing. The blood transfusion thing was out of place as well; it was a strong plot device, but that wound from Hody was just too lame to plausibly put Luffy's life in danger.

I still maintain that the only real problem with Dressrosa was that Rebecca and Kyros were bad characters, especially Rebecca. It was an easy fix too; if she had been 5 years younger it really would have helped the arc, because it would have been much easier to have sympathy for that character (and to overlook her relative uselessness in fights).

I mean, the very end where Doflamingo just kept making up bullshit (and Luffy's arbitrary 10 minute break) were kind of lame, but at least those characters had a backstory.

Oh, and Sabo.

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 19, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Law's backstory in Dressrosa is probably one of the most wrenching things in the comic and would have justified the arc all on its own, endless battle sequences or not.

Dressrosa was the culmination of a huge amount of the post-timeskip plot, so even though it still dragged overlong I think it deserved the prominence it got.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So do villains manage to get cooler than Sir "Bad Motherfucker" Crocodile? He might be one of my favorite villains ever, his look of utter "Whatever" when dealing with heroes was the best, oh and his power was cool as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So do villains manage to get cooler than Sir "Bad Motherfucker" Crocodile? He might be one of my favorite villains ever, his look of utter "Whatever" when dealing with heroes was the best, oh and his power was cool as hell.

Magellan is pretty freakin' cool but I'm not sure he really counts as a villain

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

OldTennisCourt posted:

there are arguably a few yes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if we're going just off of style then the main antagonist of the water 7 arc gives crocodile a run for his money

(not naming names since it'd be a mild spoiler your first time through)

KoB
May 1, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Croc is probably still my favorite but hes one of my favorite villains ever.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Croc is hard to surpass for sure. Kizaru is probably the coolest after him in terms of combining style with an OH HOLKY gently caress ability. Doffy would have been a close contender if Oda hadn't nerfed the hell out of his signature ability.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Brother Entropy posted:

if we're going just off of style then the main antagonist of the water 7 arc gives crocodile a run for his money

(not naming names since it'd be a mild spoiler your first time through)

I know who you're referring to, and I agree, but the TRUE villain of Water 7 is probably the least cool character Oda had ever created :v:

Crocodile is probably still my personal favorite, but it depends on the day. There are a lot of great villains in One Piece.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Star Platinum posted:

Doffy would have been a close contender if Oda hadn't nerfed the hell out of his signature ability.

His ability to control people was nerfed?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
skypiea owns because its a proper adventure arc in a way the others haven't really been. Its the first introduction into how hosed up the world actually is and they're just mooching around having fun for most of it

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tsob posted:

His ability to control people was nerfed?

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I think so, yeah. He was able to stop a top Whitebeard officer dead in his tracks but barely even tried to do it against Law and Luffy. Doffy would have been much better as a puzzle opponent than a brawler, another cool thing about Crocodile was how he had a great ability but also a clear weakness that he had to compensate for.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So Skypia sounds like One Piece meets Indiana Jones therefore rad as hell

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah it was definitely weird that we didn't even get a scene where Dofy tries to control, say, a half dead Law with one arm into killing himself to threaten Luffy. It wouldn't have stuck and it would have been obvious so I guess Oda spared us that cliche in order to bring us the worse cliche of "our hero will get here in five minutes".

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Advice posted:

Yeah it was definitely weird that we didn't even get a scene where Dofy tries to control, say, a half dead Law with one arm into killing himself to threaten Luffy. It wouldn't have stuck and it would have been obvious so I guess Oda spared us that cliche in order to bring us the worse cliche of "our hero will get here in five minutes".

Dressrosa definitely needed some sort of on-page explanation for Doffy's powers. Either he didn't use his powers for some unexplained reason (controlling people) or he just pulled new powers out of his rear end (the string clones).

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Doffy was controlling tons of people at once after he activated Birdcage. Also he managed to take control of Luffy when he was weakened enough, but Luffy Gear Fourthed out of it.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 19, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i still think doffy should have stringed luffy and he couldnt do anything with his body so law would heartswap him with bellamy since both him and luffy have similar powers. and luffy would spend like a chapter figuring out how to be luffy with spring powers and show bellamy a new trick and then when doffy got hit real hard luffy could get his body back.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
maybe doffy couldnt do it from all the grevious injury he obtained through the fight and his last attack was an all or nothing dealio

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

anime was right posted:

i still think doffy should have stringed luffy and he couldnt do anything with his body so law would heartswap him with bellamy since both him and luffy have similar powers. and luffy would spend like a chapter figuring out how to be luffy with spring powers and show bellamy a new trick and then when doffy got hit real hard luffy could get his body back.

That's stupid. Doffy's control thing wasn't magic, it was just strings. His devil fruit didn't give him the power to control other people's bodies, it let him make and control string, which he used to move people around like puppets. If someone is physically stronger than him, like Luffy, then they cannot be controlled.

I would like to see Law do the heart swap thing again, though. That was a fun bit in Punk Hazard.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Well, no. We thought it might be that, and that would make a lot of sense, but we clearly saw it's a technique called Parasite where a single string flies into the person's head and their entire body is magically controlled.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also can't remember much of skypiea's characters there's the fat monk dude enel and gan fall but other than that everyone is a blur, the different fishmen looked cool at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Elfgames posted:

I also can't remember much of skypiea's characters there's the fat monk dude enel and gan fall but other than that everyone is a blur, the different fishmen looked cool at least.

There was Gedatsu, the guy who forgets that sandwiches go into the mouth, not the ear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember their names but

there was the fat guy that used orbs, his 2 smaller but still fat clones, super fat guy that robin beat up, that cloud sword dude with the dog, the guy with the fire lance that rode on a bird or something I can't remember, reject dial man, the little girl that collected dirt, and also the old dude and his daughter that the strawhats meet in the beginning. I remember the last 2 having a good joke about how the dad was supposed to be dead

o yea and my friend and yours, really big snake

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Dressrosa definitely needed some sort of on-page explanation for Doffy's powers. Either he didn't use his powers for some unexplained reason (controlling people) or he just pulled new powers out of his rear end (the string clones).
He tried to use his control string (Parasite) against the blind admiral, forget his name. It didn't work - he blocked it with is sword and scoffed at it.

I think in a 1v1 battle where a skilled opponent is fully focused on Doffy there's no chance of it landing unless you've already trapped/beaten your opponent. That's the closest to an explanation we got, and makes sense, I think.

The string clones were kind of dumb, self-healing was dumb-er, but the dumbest aspect was him tanking sooo much damage plus 'athlete thread' and his other string-powered regular attacks together with his tankyness just turned him into a regular brawler instead of an interesting opponent.

IMHO he is the Aizen of OP, a potentially interesting opponent that got ruined by just having him solve problems with sheer physical strength instead, although he was not nearly as bad as Aizen in that regard.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 20, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
his string powers didnt really need that much of an explanation, tbh. powers are cooler when they're vague and you dont know whats gonna happen.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

anime was right posted:

his string powers didnt really need that much of an explanation, tbh. powers are cooler when they're vague and you dont know whats gonna happen.

Shh I can hear the gestalt of the Something Awful Forums whispering something. Hold on.

"But if they're not fully explained then its exactly the same as bullshit magic!"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
at least now i know why goons love brandon sanderson so much.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
A good way to interpret the Doffy fight is that he wasn't a brawler so much as he was dragged into a brawl despite his best efforts to avoid it and by the time Law was finished with him he was holding himself together with spit and string. One Piece has often rewarded users for going beyond the direct application of abilities, like Crocodiles sandstorms for instance; he could bury a whole city with them which was well beyond anything he could do with a direct application. Doffy was able to tank so much damage because he kept bandaging himself together with his own string ability, maybe it would have been a bit better if at some point through the fight Doffy was forced to use his parasite ability on himself just to keep moving.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Goons are the people that would go on a boring adventure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldTennisCourt posted:

So Skypia sounds like One Piece meets Indiana Jones therefore rad as hell

Pretty much. Also Robin gets her one and only actual fight against a dude who done hosed up. Robin should get some fights where she does more than just *clutch* some mooks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bisse posted:

He tried to use his control string (Parasite) against the blind admiral, forget his name. It didn't work - he blocked it with is sword and scoffed at it.

I think in a 1v1 battle where a skilled opponent is fully focused on Doffy there's no chance of it landing unless you've already trapped/beaten your opponent. That's the closest to an explanation we got, and makes sense, I think.

The string clones were kind of dumb, self-healing was dumb-er, but the dumbest aspect was him tanking sooo much damage plus 'athlete thread' and his other string-powered regular attacks together with his tankyness just turned him into a regular brawler instead of an interesting opponent.

IMHO he is the Aizen of OP, a potentially interesting opponent that got ruined by just having him solve problems with sheer physical strength instead, although he was not nearly as bad as Aizen in that regard.

I think Doflamingo's fight suffered from Dressrosa's pacing, but his tactics weren't that far out of line with how he's always acted. The guy basically had the population of an entire island squaring off against him and his handful of subordinates, and he kept whittling down their numbers by placing the bodies of his officers between himself and Luffy and co. and distracting other assassins with clones and other mind games. When he finally got backed into a corner he set up the Birdcage and pulled out all the stops offensively, but like others said he had to devote half his efforts to literally holding his own body together by the end of the battle.

The biggest issue with Dressrosa was the handful of ridiculously overpowered Fruits, in my mind. Doflamingo's got absurd with the Birdcage and the "true Paramecia" crap or whatever that was, the Heal Heal Fruit is broke as hell, and the Hobby Hobby Fruit reads like someone pulled a bunch of powers out of hat and threw them together - any one of Sugar's ancillary powers like the eternal youth or contract abilities would constitute a crazy versatile Fruit all on their own, so having them all together was just silly.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Dressrosa was a bloated arc but it was at least interesting all the way through. Low point for me was definitely Birdcage. Our heroes had a dozen reasons to stay on the island until Dofy was beat, Oda didn't really need to establish a new power out of nowhere, and definitely not one that makes less and less sense the more you look at it.

So Birdcage is:

-An ability that appears to require little to no setup and can be used basically at any time with no prep work
-Indestructible even to someone who can easily beat Dofy themselves, a marine admiral, dozens of haki users, and will move equally indestructible buildings including one made entirely of seastone before it even thinks about breaking
-Blocks Den Den Mushi transmissions despite the fact that you can fit an arm through the bars
-Contracts until it murders everyone inside, once again easily killing very strong people. Presumably imbued entirely with haki?

This loving thing comes out of nowhere and suddenly becomes the focus of everyone but Luffy by default for the rest of the arc. I hesitate to call it poor writing because I was invested despite it but that's when the arc had my eyes rolling.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I really couldn't buy it when Zoro tried to cut it and it didn't break.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Nobody tried to dig a hole

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Pretty much. Also Robin gets her one and only actual fight against a dude who done hosed up. Robin should get some fights where she does more than just *clutch* some mooks.

Have Robin use her powers to create a giant arm overtop her normal arm and just straight up punch someone with it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
birdcage was pretty dumb, primarily, the fact that no one strong could escape it (not the fact that it existed, I guess)

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Nobody tried to dig a hole

werent the strings dragged through the ground? idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

birdcage was pretty dumb, primarily, the fact that no one strong could escape it (not the fact that it existed, I guess)

Yeah, it was really weird how Doffy could hold an entire island that was filled with strong dudes (including a Marine Admiral) captive with a string cage. It was also weird that it could block all communication in or out of the island. I was expecting someone at some point to figure out the weakness and shatter the whole thing, right before Luffy was ready for the final beatdown.