Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ugleb posted:

Not that surprised, but a bit disappointed tbh. Looks like we are getting our stuff at the very end of August or early September then.

A bit late for Nova Open's DFC tournament :v: unless they ship next Monday or so.

I wonder what's going to happen with that. In any case I don't feel as bad about being on the wait list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

A bit late for Nova Open's DFC tournament :v: unless they ship next Monday or so.

I wonder what's going to happen with that. In any case I don't feel as bad about being on the wait list.

I thought the Hawk event this weekend was optimistic scheduling, let alone a tournament! Kickstarters are (or should be) infamous for running late. Even if Hawk don't ship until September its only a small delay by industry standards at this point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

I thought the Hawk event this weekend was optimistic scheduling, let alone a tournament! Kickstarters are (or should be) infamous for running late. Even if Hawk don't ship until September its only a small delay by industry standards at this point.

Yeah Nova jumped the gun just a bit. I'm seriously wondering what'll happen. Canceled? Played with Hawk's resin test game models? Played with hastily-unpacked and maybe primed models from a kickstarter that arrived last night?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

Yeah Nova jumped the gun just a bit. I'm seriously wondering what'll happen. Canceled? Played with Hawk's resin test game models? Played with hastily-unpacked and maybe primed models from a kickstarter that arrived last night?

If it is an official Hawk tournament I guess they may take the test models, but if is all on the Nova organisers then they will probably have to cancel as they were probably thinking all the players would bring their own models.

Or, everyone brings whatever space ships they happen to have and it is proxy heaven time. I hope the people who bring lego do well.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got my first of a series of mats printed today and it looks ace. Will upload a photo later but there is a few pics currently on the Dropzone Community facebook pages for those who haven't seen it. :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Got my first of a series of mats printed today and it looks ace. Will upload a photo later but there is a few pics currently on the Dropzone Community facebook pages for those who haven't seen it. :)

It looks nice! The table looks huge, I'm not used to 4x4 without buildings on it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah 4x4 is rather intimidating without any terrain. I'm going to get a few more printed soon, I have a nice artic one and a desert one I really like. I think they look way nicer but the rainforest one I have printed I think was a better one to start with ya know? also goons feel free to shoot me a friend request so i can abuse you on fb. :v:

I'll take a lot of pictures tomorrow!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 20, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

goodness posted:

If anyone plays dropzone commander, I know someone selling a Shaaltari army for almost 50% off. Includes the metal/resin starter and a few war and battle striders. $120 retail and he wants $70. I can get a proper list if anyone's interested.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Woooo Free Stuff

And the release to Retail date is 14/10/16 - so Kickstarters should get there stuff before that.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 20, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Renfield posted:

Woooo Free Stuff

And the release to Retail date is 14/10/16 - so Kickstarters should get there stuff before that.

Is this what you get for pre-ordering the 2 player starter set? So they're still giving sprues out before KS backers get theirs?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Is this what you get for pre-ordering the 2 player starter set? So they're still giving sprues out before KS backers get theirs?

That's what I got for going to the Firestorm pre-launch event today, and spending more than £75 on pre-orders (I'm Shaltarii, so don't want UCM/Scourge)
(The frigate sprue is for going and playing, the cruiser and metal frigate for spending money)

vvv I only got my ticket on the 16th - and posted about it a page ago, with a link to where to get them !

Renfield fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 20, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You lucky sods :arghfist:

I so wanted to be there today, but everywhere I looked the tickets sold out two weeks ago.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Renfield posted:

That's what I got for going to the Firestorm pre-launch event today, and spending more than £75 on pre-orders (I'm Shaltarii, so don't want UCM/Scourge)
(The frigate sprue is for going and playing, the cruiser and metal frigate for spending money)

vvv I only got my ticket on the 16th - and posted about it a page ago, with a link to where to get them !

I thought Hawk had a thing about no one getting anything before KS backers. Glad I spent £150 on the KS and have gently caress all yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I thought Hawk had a thing about no one getting anything before KS backers. Glad I spent £150 on the KS and have gently caress all yet.

This isn't the first thing they've given out: hell, couldn't you get metal Strike Carriers before the KS even finished from Beasts of War?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I had no idea about that. Oh well. Not sure where I even heard about the embargo on stuff before KS delivery, might have been a BoW video.

Renfield, this is in no way salt being thrown in your direction. I look forward to seeing what you do with those. :unsmith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I had no idea about that. Oh well. Not sure where I even heard about the embargo on stuff before KS delivery, might have been a BoW video.

Renfield, this is in no way salt being thrown in your direction. I look forward to seeing what you do with those. :unsmith:

There's an embargo on selling it. "Get a free sprue with your preorder" doesn't count as selling it or something.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Eurgh.

Giving the stuff away dodges the no-selling promise but I find it pretty lovely that people that were able to get to the event and spend £75 get stuff early but the people who dropped £600k on the KS are still waiting on their delayed stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Eurgh.

Giving the stuff away dodges the no-selling promise but I find it pretty lovely that people that were able to get to the event and spend £75 get stuff early but the people who dropped £600k on the KS are still waiting on their delayed stuff.

I'd bet you anything the free stuff isn't going to impact shipping at all, so who cares.

I pledged at the highest level and don't care if they start selling stuff as long as they aren't impacting shipping.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Personally i think a few sprues are a very reasonable compromise considering it was supposed to bw a launch event. I can't wait to get my hands on my pledge but i think this was a good solution.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I've got one cruiser, a metal frig and a frigate sprue - with no cards, stats or instructions...not even the card inserts for the bases- it's just a nice bonus for turning up to there day, not like I can play yet or anything !

I'm not gonna touch them until I get the rules, as (i) I don't want to build them in unusable ways and (ii) I have a ton of DZC stuff to paint, that'll never get done if I start on something else !

Talking to the Hawk guys, it's proof-reading the book, and making sure the quality control on the plastic is top-notch that's slowed things down - and now it's just waiting on the printing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ran a bunch of demos back to back for Hawk today and threw down a preorder. Got myself a nice bit of swag. Two cruiser and two frigate sprues. :)

My voice is shredded though. I havent stopped talking since 8am.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Oh man, wish I could have been there. I'll have to satisfy myself with unpacking all the stuff coming in the Admiral box I'm splitting with my buddy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

Eurgh.

Bear in mind these are a few sprues handed out, mostly for placing pre-orders. Nobody actually has the game yet. It was done basically as an apology for being late on delivery so that attendees could still go away with something, the original plan was to be selling actual stock and for backers to turn up with their own models.

I'm more annoyed that the Avenger was there and I missed my chance to see it!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Ugleb posted:

The LEDs where set to 'Christmas Tree' mode all day :p

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

Bear in mind these are a few sprues handed out, mostly for placing pre-orders. Nobody actually has the game yet. It was done basically as an apology for being late on delivery so that attendees could still go away with something, the original plan was to be selling actual stock and for backers to turn up with their own models.

Yeah, my buddy and I are laughing at the guys going crazy on the Facebook group that are super mad about Hawk being a couple of months late, when there are more established companies that are historically late on the Kickstarters. This is really not a big deal.

And yeah you should see the big model at every opportunity.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mid October? :smith: The wait is killing me.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
October is the RETAIL release... kickstarters will have it sooner

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I didn't support the kickstarter, as a rule I don't do kickstarter (but I'm wishing I made an exception for this one). RIP me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Renfield posted:

October is the RETAIL release... kickstarters will have it sooner

We hope. ;)

It really is a minor delay in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still eager to get me stuff!

On an unrelated note, here is a thought experiment for you all. If you were going to teach an 8 year old (who is easily distracted) how to play Dropzone, how would you approach it?

I was baby sitting my nephew for a few hours today and finally gave him an intro game to the Batman Miniature Game as every time he visits he walks straight up to the cabinet and asks fifty questions about my models. I basically stripped out half the rules and pulled all my punches as he had never played a miniatures game before. Funny part was his attempt at trash talking me afterwards, apparently he 'won't go easy on me next time'. I don't think he quite grasped how hard I was working to throw the game...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got two cruiser sprues so I think I might build a St Petersberg and a Moscow to start.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Some pictures of the rulebook have turned up on the Wayland Games website. I can see why they sent it back for more proofreading, there are a lot of typos.

Also has some interesting new bits of artwork, including UCM fighters and bombers. We finally see a UCM bulk lander!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

We hope. ;)

It really is a minor delay in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still eager to get me stuff!

On an unrelated note, here is a thought experiment for you all. If you were going to teach an 8 year old (who is easily distracted) how to play Dropzone, how would you approach it?

I was baby sitting my nephew for a few hours today and finally gave him an intro game to the Batman Miniature Game as every time he visits he walks straight up to the cabinet and asks fifty questions about my models. I basically stripped out half the rules and pulled all my punches as he had never played a miniatures game before. Funny part was his attempt at trash talking me afterwards, apparently he 'won't go easy on me next time'. I don't think he quite grasped how hard I was working to throw the game...
To be fair, Dropzone/Dropfleet are actually rather simple games to teach, some of the rules are a bit awkward to explain but Hawk are iffy on writing them at times I think. I'd just say strip out a bunch of the extra rules and go for it.

Don't get Shaltari involved.

E: In my last demo game, the Moscow-class decided to go extremely bang with a reactor detonation/singularity bubble, wiping out the Wyvern, the Berlin, Two Toulons, a Harpy & the Ifrit. It owned hardcore.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 21, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh I've got the flash cleaned off my Overseer and Hunters, but I've still got to clean the entire Despoiler.

I really regret not buying a Comodoore pledge, the PHR fleet is really growing on me.

DFC is the first minis game where I've felt like I want ALL the factions.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

To be fair, Dropzone/Dropfleet are actually rather simple games to teach, some of the rules are a bit awkward to explain but Hawk are iffy on writing them at times I think. I'd just say strip out a bunch of the extra rules and go for it.

Don't get Shaltari involved.

E: In my last demo game, the Moscow-class decided to go extremely bang with a reactor detonation/singularity bubble, wiping out the Wyvern, the Berlin, Two Toulons, a Harpy & the Ifrit. It owned hardcore.

Yeah, I don't own any DzC Shaltari so that's ok! I'm thinking a PHR starter box mirror match might be simplest.

I am envious of your big explosion and hope to have my own soon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Right now I'm trying to figure out these sprues I have. Thinking of building a Moscow, St Petersburg for Cruisers, two Jakarta, two Lima class for the frigates. Leaves me with 4 more frigate choices.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Right now I'm trying to figure out these sprues I have. Thinking of building a Moscow, St Petersburg for Cruisers, two Jakarta, two Lima class for the frigates. Leaves me with 4 more frigate choices.

New Orleans Strike Carriers?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

True, got me one of those, could always do with more. :) Plus whatever I make out of my starter fleet.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I'm gonna wait for the rules... and since I'm doing Shaltari.. I might just make 'Orbital Debris' of them :p

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Some pictures of the rulebook have turned up on the Wayland Games website. I can see why they sent it back for more proofreading, there are a lot of typos.

Also has some interesting new bits of artwork, including UCM fighters and bombers. We finally see a UCM bulk lander!

Louis confirmed that the pics were from an older version of the rules they used as promo material and that most of the typos have been ironed out.

At intrigued me about the UCM page was the mention of the Osprey dropship...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Probably a rename. The Admiralty copies are full of penned in amendments.

Also some pictures of our stores new demo table and my mat I mentioned earlier. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 22, 2016