Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

elephants, rhinos, thrumbos, and maybe grizzly bears are all fine against the odd tribe that sends 20+ melee dudes at you at once, otherwise animals seem way more effort than they're worth unless you're in desperate need of haulers and even then those take a year to train if not more depending on luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Having pet boars is cute gently caress you :mad:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Croccers posted:

Having pet boars is cute gently caress you :mad:

Until they die and your bonded colonist has a -1523 mood modifier for 3 years

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

texasmed posted:

Is there a mod that lets you just mass-unforbid every item on the map? I'm vaguely sure I can do that in Dwarf Fortress with a 3-d selection and it's pretty useful when you can't find a particular item that didn't make its way to a stockpile. I found 1 mod that added an unforbid button but I'm pretty sure that still requires the item to be selected.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17218.0

This is the best one I know of. Just adds "unforbid" to the list of orders so you can just click/drag an area and unforbid everything

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Just had a cargo pod drop full of hundreds of units of human meat

this game is hosed up

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bunleigh posted:

this game is hosed up

Nah it was just a broken cryo pod.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bunleigh posted:

this game is hosed up

Just think of it as an airdrop of a few thousand silver in trade goods

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

How do you auto haul rocks out of your home area?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

elephants, rhinos, thrumbos, and maybe grizzly bears are all fine against the odd tribe that sends 20+ melee dudes at you at once, otherwise animals seem way more effort than they're worth unless you're in desperate need of haulers and even then those take a year to train if not more depending on luck.

Muffalo are fine as well. They do decent melee damage, automatically produce textiles, and have a slight food return in milk from the female ones.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bunleigh posted:

this game is hosed up

Can I interested you in a masterwork pet bed made from human leather? It's an ironic pet bed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Optiquest posted:

How do you auto haul rocks out of your home area?

I don't know of an auto method, but you can just click-drag "haul things" and get them all labeled for hauling. Then as long as you have a dumping stockpile defined your people will get to it eventually

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So, Randy... you've come for me.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
After seeing that holy hell their fur sells well, I am attempting to farm chinchillas for profit. We'll see how this goes.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

Ever since I watched that guy's cooking optimization video, I build special stations complete with chairs for everyone!
what video?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The problem with making anything ship shaped is that ship parts cost so much plasteel it is usually difficult to come up with enough to just make a ghetto ship.

Had an amusing situation last night. Someone was being chased, I wasn't in a great position to fight off raiders, but I offered help anyways. I only had my starting rifle and pistol. The raiders got some lucky shots and downed all of my people except the person I offered shelter to. They decided to take people and run. It looked like I was going to lose all but that new person, who was a frail old lady. Instead I drafted her with no weapons and told her to start punching the raiders carrying my people. The little old lady managed to down 2 of the 3 raiders by just punching them, meaning I only lost one person. Admittedly that one person was my best crafter and grower(only one who could plant heal root).

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
How the hell do I kill a centipede in Combat Realism? EMP grenades don't seem to be doing the trick.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is it worth mining into boring old rock to see if there's anything hidden like silver or steel in there or will it always just spawn near the surface?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

TropicalCoke posted:

How the hell do I kill a centipede in Combat Realism? EMP grenades don't seem to be doing the trick.

Beanbag rounds?

Unless that mod changes it, centipedes are super vulnerable to bludgeoning damage (at least, in comparison to piercing)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

a7m2 posted:

what video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNgseXjUbyo

It's a couple pages back I think

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Oh god ALL OF THE LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Walton Simons posted:

Is it worth mining into boring old rock to see if there's anything hidden like silver or steel in there or will it always just spawn near the surface?

Pockets of ore can appear inside hills or mountains of normal rocks.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks, time for a massive mining expedition for components and things that can be sold for components.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm really sick of how long the various mood breaking effects last. Dazed just goes on and on and never seems to end until the person collapses from exhaustion. Berserk lasts long enough that for the most part you have no choice but to subdue them and hope no one dies.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I've played a couple games, got the basics down. I'm absolutely loving it. Best Dwarf Fortress since Dwarf Fortress. And a better game to boot.

My biggest issue is... how do I sell things? Not mechanically, I get that. But the traders I deal with never want to buy the goods I've produced. I have a shitton of cloth and a good amount of finished clothing of various types sitting in stockpiles (next to orbital beacons in case spacemen want some sweet hats), and I have had no opportunity to sell them. I've been playing for a couple years too.

What's up with that? Are there some trade goods that are harder to find buyers for than others? Have I just gotten really unlucky?

Everyone buys beer though, so I've been overproducing that to sell... but what am I going to do with all this extra cloth (and soon devilstrand) that I have lying around? My refugees are quite well attired already.

Is there anywhere that says what types of things the various traders buy?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Put up a comms console and some orbital trade beacons. Trade ships will come by from time to time for you to sell your wares. They are usually specialized in a certain type of good (like textiles for instance), but there are also bulk good traders. I suggest you get the more trade ships mod, because the amount of trade ships which come by is probably not worth the components otherwise. Until then, store your cloth and churn out cowboy hats to sell and increase crafting skill.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PSA: If you set a bill to Euthanize a pet, then cancel it when the anaesthetic is applied, you can prioritize a bill to bring a pet to a cryptosleep casket at will.

With such a cool name, there's no way this big guy is getting left behind. :3:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So you're saying I could have brought Slotra and Mechathrumbo off the planet with me? Time to load!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a good feeling about this prisoner duo I captured in the last raid

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

So you're saying I could have brought Slotra and Mechathrumbo off the planet with me? Time to load!

Yep! Edelweiss and Nathan were both bonded so I made extra caskets for them to come with. They even showed up on the end screen!

I wish they could have also taken some of the colonists' remains with them. It's a shame Maverick had to leave her husband behind in a sarcophagus on some distant rimworld. I think you should be able to build ship sarcophagi for cheap so that your dead colonists can come with, and they should show up on the end screen.

I at least delayed the launch to make sure that every colonist was in tip-top shape and had bionic replacements for everything they'd lost (which involved waiting a considerable time for a trader to come along with some gold so I could make vancidium for an AI chip for the pop idol who got brain damage from an assault rifle round to the head). It's not a true Good End unless everyone gets to come out of the caskets and be a productive, healthy member of society.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Goetta posted:

I have a good feeling about this prisoner duo I captured in the last raid

Of course Stench hogged the whole bed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bunleigh posted:

Animals in general seem like more trouble than they're worth to me but I'm still a noob

Even a "good" pet like a husky is always barging into gunfights and getting itself shot

You can restrict them to stay inside during raids, and they make excellent haulers.

Also you can throw them all at enemies if you're desperate, or eat them. Also things like alpacas make excellent sources of quality textile to make really good clothes out of if you're on a particularly extreme map.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 21, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

My alpaca has helped turn two raids back by harassing a raider into standing still long enough to get shot.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Human meat situation resolved, I had a 4-day (so far) 120-degree heat wave that overwhelmed my freezer and the human meat all spoiled.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Animals are awesome for 2 things: hauling for animals that can haul, and fighting tribals with some species. Eventually you won't need any humans to haul except for things you need right now from having animal haulers. If you can tame a few elephants or bears or words(or thrumbos if you are really lucky) they will be very good against the zerg rush tribals and against infestations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm exploring the mountains and gathering lots of steel for trade into components, my wealth has skyrocketed, I really hope I can get a trade ship before a raid.

e: Combat supplier. So at last I have 10 components but they wanted none of my massive stock of food and steel.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 21, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Trust me, never sell steel

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Azhais posted:

Trust me, never sell steel

Yeah, always just make stone statues to sell. Steel is a limited commodity and so should be hoarded.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

No way. I had a dedicated cook that had his legs blown off. He was a great cook, level 15 or so in his prime, but he would take all day hauling food back and forth on his pegs. He could have been so much more productive with this kitchen set up.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

What alternate game-ending victories could there be, other than escaping into space? Perhaps grow enough food and medical supplies to migrate to another sector on the world map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Huszsersvn posted:

What alternate game-ending victories could there be, other than escaping into space? Perhaps grow enough food and medical supplies to migrate to another sector on the world map?

Space ship (science victory)

Declare yourself an independent colony/state - must survive a giant final assault by the galactic power that controls the star system (domination victory)

Max the relations with all non-pirate factions in the game. Need factions to be fleshed out more first (diplomatic victory)

Build a grand 10x10 statue depicting somebody vomiting (cultural victory)