Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Plus 3rd has far less to translate than basically anything else in the series.

it's about as long as CSI and II. the actual approximate counts for anyone interested because there's a lot of hearsay are (in millions of JP characters)

FC: 1.5
SC: 3.5
3rd: 1
Zero: 2
Ao: 2
CS: 1.3
CSII: 1.1

these figures come from xseed for the english games and falcom for the non-english games. that said the post by xseed im getting this from is lost because xseed migrated forums, so for all you know im full of crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's crazy to me how much smaller than SC CS is just given how much longer it took for me to beat than SC. Then again I suppose I didn't do as much of the npc stuff in SC as I should have.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Extracting the text said that SC was 1.4 million IIRC and FC was 800k or so--those other numbers are either made-up or taken from things other than the game or people quoting the size of FC+SC+3rd as being just SC or some other wrongness.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Decus posted:

Extracting the text said that SC was 1.4 million IIRC and FC was 800k or so--those other numbers are either made-up or taken from things other than the game or people quoting the size of FC+SC+3rd as being just SC or some other wrongness.

i found the post itself in the new forum using computer wizardry

quote:

we did get a character count for Zero and Ao from Falcom when we were initially pitched the proposal for Cold Steel (because we, of course, had the same concerns as fans did when we first announced Cold Steel, and we wanted to weigh all our options from the outset), and while both games are massive, they're definitely not bigger than SC. Both games clocked in at right around 2 million characters, while SC has over 3 million. (Though this does assume Falcom's character counts are accurate, since we haven't seen scripts for Zero and Ao ourselves and thus haven't counted them out ourselves -- but to date, Falcom's character counts have never been far off the mark, generally agreeing with our own with only a very minor variance.)

Now, that's still nothing to scoff at -- FC's roughly 1.5 million characters took us over a year to work through, after all, and 2 million characters is still bigger than any other non-SC game we've ever released -- but it's not the rumored "bigger than SC" that fans seem to think it is.

Together, though, Zero and Ao top SC -- and you can't do one without the other -- so that's definitely something. ;)

(Incidentally, Cold Steel is almost right on point with FC at 1.5 million characters, though Cold Steel II is very slightly less -- I believe it turned out to be ultimately closer to 1.2 or 1.3 million. And 3rd is the smallest game in the series with right around 1 million even, possibly even a little less.)

-Tom

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/forum/index.php?threads/trails-to-zero-and-trails-to-azure.28185/page-8

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Cake Attack posted:

Also if you're playing on PC it's pretty easy to use cheat engine to create a fast forward toggle for combat, let me know if you're interested. (on my phone so I can't post it right now)
Forgot to follow up about this. Would you recommend it? It's not like the combat is rage inducing for me, more a mild annoyance.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

as requested, here is how to get 2x (or any x, yx if you will) battle speeds.

1. Download/install Cheat Engine
2. In Cheat Engine, go Edit > Setting > Hotkeys
3. Pick speedhack speed 1. Set the speed to 1.00 and choose a hotkey. This is the key to return to regular speed.
4. Pick speedhack speed 2. Set the speed to whatever you want (I think 2x works well). This is how you fastforward.
5. Open the game. In the main cheat engine window, hit the little search computer icon in the top left, and find SC in the list.
6. Check Enable Speedhack. You'll need to do steps 5/6 everytime you start the game.

If you're playing mouse and keyboard, you're done. If not, it becomes vaguely more complicated. I'm not sure if it's possible to bind the hotkeys directly as gamepad inputs, personally I just used xpadder to map the chosen hotkeys to LT and RT.

it just makes the animations faster and doesn't gently caress up the music, so there aren't really any downsides to it. i beat FC like 4 times without it because the animations never really bothered me but ill still always recommend it to people since there's no good reason not to

it also works with any PC jrpg for what it's worth

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 21, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Would be really rad if Sara could find a way to add a 2x battle speed option to these games someday, just to save people that hassle.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i also like it because it makes exploring extremely fast and that way i can run around and talk to npcs sooner

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A good thing in CSII:

Nord Highlands has real fast travel.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ImpAtom posted:

A good thing in CSII:

goty

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

ImpAtom posted:

A good thing in CSII:

Instantly better than cs1

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Unpopular opinion time: The Nord Highlands are great and riding on horseback was great.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

A good thing in CSII:

CS2 just became a day 1 purchase.

Some Numbers posted:

Unpopular opinion time: The Nord Highlands are great and riding on horseback was great.

Nord Highlands would have been fine if it had actual fast travel destinations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never skipped battles and fought every enemy I came across, except for in the Nord Highlands. I just wanted to be done with it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

it just makes the animations faster and doesn't gently caress up the music, so there aren't really any downsides to it. i beat FC like 4 times without it because the animations never really bothered me but ill still always recommend it to people since there's no good reason not to

it also works with any PC jrpg for what it's worth

I just found this and got it all working with a gamepad and man it really makes the game a lot better. Thanks a bunch :)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Zaggitz posted:

Would be really rad if Sara could find a way to add a 2x battle speed option to these games someday, just to save people that hassle.

Apparantly, the PSP version of 3rd also has an option that can instantly unequip all quartz on a character. (you're dealing with a large character roster there and you'll be switching quartz around a lot) It would be nifty if Sara could implement that into the PC version and then backport it into SC. FC doesn't really need it since the plot picks your team for you until the very end, but it'd be quite a timesaver in SC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, yeah, that would be a huge timesaver.

I wonder why that's not in Cold Steel. The game unequips all the rare quartz, but it leaves all the generic quartz in.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
De-equipment options for quartz and equipment would be welcome in all Trails games. As would the ability to quickly jump between quartz of different elements. In Cold Steel, I usually have so much quartz by the end of the game that just scrolling through the list takes ages.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Early FC Chapter 2 spoilers: Did I just witness an orphanage burn down with four children and a woman trapped inside? :stare: I had to stop right after that scene - not overwhelmed with emotion, just had to take care of stuff IRL - but holy poo poo. Out of nowhere given the tone of the game so far.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

De-equipment options for quartz and equipment would be welcome in all Trails games. As would the ability to quickly jump between quartz of different elements. In Cold Steel, I usually have so much quartz by the end of the game that just scrolling through the list takes ages.

Sell the bad ones

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Early FC Chapter 2 spoilers: Did I just witness an orphanage burn down with four children and a woman trapped inside? :stare: I had to stop right after that scene - not overwhelmed with emotion, just had to take care of stuff IRL - but holy poo poo. Out of nowhere given the tone of the game so far.

Yep!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why is kurt so loving ridiculous

the first time i started fighting him, i charged at the support guys and in like less than ten seconds he'd already killed my entire party

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

was that meant to be a tales of Graces post. because the ridiculous Kurt in this game doesn't have support

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to pretend this is the tales of thread now, to protect my honor

kurt does have support, because i am his support

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I mean that scene is dark, but I don't think its AS dark as you fear it might be.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fake edit: Oh right, after writing this post I realized we have someone who's playing through FC right now in the thread. so uhh, don't read any of this if you don't want to know who'll eventually join your party. Ehh, I guess I'll spoiler it just in case

apropos of nothing in particular, post ur final sky sc team

Or, I guess, the two non-protagonist members. I took Mueller (or wait, is it Müller? e is often a substitute for umlauts) mostly out of curiosity, and because I had mandated to use every single party member in the final chapter and he was left. But also because he's totally the better half of the Olivier/Mueller comedy act, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And then Josette, who somehow managed to worm her way into being my actual favorite character in the series despite her monumentally small screentime. I dunno what it is, but I liked the Capuas as soon as they were introduced, and then only more as the games went on. When Josette suddenly joined the party at the very end she was in immediately and only left because again, I wanted to use everyone for the bosses. She might be the most unlikely character of all to fight the final bosses with, too. She's just like, a random bandit. No special training, no prestigious spot in society, no nothing. The other person to compete for that spot would probably be Tita, and even she's got the mechanical genius thing going for her. Josette only has her standard-issue gun, and the amazing ability to call in airstrikes while indoors.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably midway through Chapter 2 in FC now. Agate just took over the arson investigation, Kloe joined up, and I just completed all the optional sidequests in Ruan (that are available right now, at least). About to help in the festival's play, or something. Pretty sure Kloe's gonna be in my permanent party as much as possible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm probably midway through Chapter 2 in FC now. Agate just took over the arson investigation, Kloe joined up, and I just completed all the optional sidequests in Ruan (that are available right now, at least). About to help in the festival's play, or something. Pretty sure Kloe's gonna be in my permanent party as much as possible.

Get ready for one of my favorite sequences in the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Get ready for one of my favorite sequences in the game.

This is the chapter when I fell in love with these games

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It also features my two favorite tracks.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The second half of chapter 2 is also where I knew I was hooked. From the play to the very end of the chapter is such a blast.

And btw yes Kloe and Olivier when they join back up are always in my endgame party for FC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

And btw yes Kloe and Olivier when they join back up are always in my endgame party for FC.

It helps that they do the most to alleviate the endgame's tedium.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Motto posted:

It helps that they do the most to alleviate the endgame's tedium.

Final dungeon aside, they are still my favorite characters in FC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/767773803766091776

lol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I made Elliot cook SO MANY Egg Soups.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Aaaaaand...suddenly Elliot's slavedriver disposition during the festival preparations makes one hell of a lot more sense.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I downloaded Lord Monarch the other day. Is there any way I can zoom in on the windows? Everything is otherwise very small.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The only bad thing about flying through FC is once I finish SC (which I understand will take longer) I'll have to figure out how to get access to a PS3, or whether I want to buy one, so that I can play CS I and II.

I guess having one would give me the added benefit of being able to play some of the older Atelier games I missed, as well as other JRPGs. I did have one for a while, it got broken shortly before the PS4 came out and I just bought that instead of replacing it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The only bad thing about flying through FC is once I finish SC (which I understand will take longer) I'll have to figure out how to get access to a PS3, or whether I want to buy one, so that I can play CS I and II.

I guess having one would give me the added benefit of being able to play some of the older Atelier games I missed, as well as other JRPGs. I did have one for a while, it got broken shortly before the PS4 came out and I just bought that instead of replacing it.

you can get a pstv for insanely cheap, might be worth looking into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Vita is the console of kings