Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
In australia, looking for a good cheap pillion helmet for the girlfriend. We tried a few random things on at the dealership, she seems to fit well into an Arai Vector 2 or some models of HJC. $600 for the arai is pretty steep for her use though, and even the HJC is over $300. Are there any hidden gems we should look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How much do you care about your girlfriend's life and comfort?

Go to the store and get the (full-face) helmet she likes. Save up and eat ramen for a while if you have to.

Personally, when I ride with someone on the back, I have always worn the crappier helmet myself and given them the better one. The only thing worse than giving someone you love a bad experience (or, God forbid, seeing them injured) is knowing that a few bucks spent earlier could have changed the outcome.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

devians posted:

In australia, looking for a good cheap pillion helmet for the girlfriend. We tried a few random things on at the dealership, she seems to fit well into an Arai Vector 2 or some models of HJC. $600 for the arai is pretty steep for her use though, and even the HJC is over $300. Are there any hidden gems we should look into?

Don't try to find something cheaper than HJC. Your pillion probably doesn't need an Arai unless she starts riding herself.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am looking for recommendations for a heated glove liner.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Side of the head's least likely to hit the ground in a crash, but is also the least-protected part of your skull (these two facts are probably related).

FWIW SHARP 3-star is equivalent to ACU Gold Star (the standard required to wear on a race track in the UK) in protection, except the ACU don't certify modular helmets or ones with internal visors, which not coincidentally are also the ones that score worst on side impacts. So it's probably more than good enough protection assuming it meets your other needs.

It's a modular so yeah.

Seriously considering a nice snell for track days and erryday if comfy enough though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

devians posted:

HJC FG-17, or Scorpion EXO-R710. I have no idea of the market in AUS, but those are the best "budget" helmets in the US. I'd never put anyone into something less than I'd wear myself.

edit: almost missed this

M42 posted:

Inu, do you know how the x12 and the new bell stars compare internally? Cheek pad wise. I have an xs x12 with 43mm cheekpads, I need something with similarly crushing thickness. Also what helps with the x12 is the cheekpads come forward almost to my mouth, while most other helmets they stop at the cheekbone.
New Star cheekpad sizes range from 25mm-60mm IIRC. Crush away. I don't recall how far they come forward, but I will warn that if you wear glasses, the slots in the star are at an upward angle for some dumb reason. Causes some glasses to not rest on your nose.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 19, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

-Inu- posted:

25mm-60mm IIRC

:syoon:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The new Bell Stars are garbage. They're huge, expensive, and they fit like poo poo. They feel incredibly plasticy and cheap. The cheek pads are held in with magnets and they often slide around when putting the helmet on.
Also who knows how the magnets will interact with your sena speakers.

Also the carbon version weighs more than the normal version and costs almost twice as much :lol:

Just get a rf-1200 or an x14.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ah, that sucks. TBF I'd prob stick with shoei, but it's always nice to have options - the x12 is basically the one and only helmet that works for me, and that's kinda discomfiting.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Are there any good pant brands for short curvy gentlemans?

Normally I wear 36" jeans with 29" inseam, so I was looking at like a 38 short in the riding pants to give me some extra room to fit higher up, but everything in stock is overpants. Maybe I should just visit the local cycle gear and see how some stuff fits. I need to check out the boots while I am there anyway, since I have just been wearing hiking books up till now.

EDIT: I mean in reality I should start trying to lose weight again. I was a 38" waist before my sisters wedding a few years ago and got down to 36" to fit back into a suit, might as well keep going.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 20, 2016

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm about to buy some boots and wanted to pick the hivemind's brain a bit. Are there any boots with torsion control that won't make me look like a power ranger? I'm only doing commuting and highway riding and have no intention of going to the track so I'm not even sure how necessary a torsion system would be.

To add onto it my feet are as wide as the rest of me so narrow boots won't work unless I get a size larger, but i don't think I should have the shift pad over my toes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

pokie posted:

I am looking for recommendations for a heated glove liner.

Having used three different brands of wired ones, I hated all of them.The cords are annoying, and none of them really got to a good level of heat. All of them were warm at best.*
The brands I used were Sedici (Cyclegear brand made by First Gear) First Gear, and Tourmaster.
You can maybe try some battery operated ones, but I doubt they'll be any better.
I ended up going with Oxford heated grips and a glove with solid top insulation and thinner palm insulation. I'm very happt with the grips.

*The caveat to my experience is that I have Raynaud's, so cold affects my fingers at lot more than normal folks.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pope Mobile posted:

Having used three different brands of wired ones, I hated all of them.The cords are annoying, and none of them really got to a good level of heat. All of them were warm at best.*
The brands I used were Sedici (Cyclegear brand made by First Gear) First Gear, and Tourmaster.
You can maybe try some battery operated ones, but I doubt they'll be any better.
I ended up going with Oxford heated grips and a glove with solid top insulation and thinner palm insulation. I'm very happt with the grips.

*The caveat to my experience is that I have Raynaud's, so cold affects my fingers at lot more than normal folks.

Thanks. Goons at a meet recommended I get gloves instead of heated grips since they don't work with all gloves, but I might look into it after all. It's just gonna be a pain to get them on to my Brutale.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm about to buy some boots and wanted to pick the hivemind's brain a bit. Are there any boots with torsion control that won't make me look like a power ranger? I'm only doing commuting and highway riding and have no intention of going to the track so I'm not even sure how necessary a torsion system would be.

To add onto it my feet are as wide as the rest of me so narrow boots won't work unless I get a size larger, but i don't think I should have the shift pad over my toes.

Buy my Dainese Torque RS-IN boots! They have the torsion control, are plain black and go inside your pants. I got them a size too big and only wore them a couple of times before deciding to size down. They're 11s. Awesome boots and I got the same ones to replace them, just smaller.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm quite happy with my Keis heated gloves (I have the armour ones, but when they go I'll be replacing them with liners due to the buttons on these being a bit fiddly to operate). The wires don't bother me but they do sell battery packs so you don't have to be connected to the bike if you don't want.

FYI heated gloves aren't supposed to be hot; if they feel hot you're on track to gently caress up your skin. They're only meant to negate wind/rain chill, and leave your hands feeling "normal" like you're sitting indoors, which Keis do very well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sagebrush posted:

Buy my Dainese Torque RS-IN boots! They have the torsion control, are plain black and go inside your pants. I got them a size too big and only wore them a couple of times before deciding to size down. They're 11s. Awesome boots and I got the same ones to replace them, just smaller.

I'm tempted but from what I'm reading online those run a bit narrow. I'm normally a 10 wide so 11 would be my backup size.

If it makes a difference for advice I ride a cruiser so a sport boot probably wouldn't be a good choice anyways- I need to keep my ankle more upright and not bent forward. I'd love the Icon Elsinores but I don't know how wide the toebox is on those.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Also the carbon version weighs more than the normal version and costs almost twice as much :lol:
Wait, what? Did they gently caress up the production version of the Pro Star that badly?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have tried a few Bells on locally at STG, I never felt like they fit well or felt that high quality after trying on a few other high end helmets in the same session.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Partial Octopus posted:

The cheek pads are held in with magnets

quote:

What the gently caress.
[quote]
What the gently caress?

We sell Bell now, almost exclusively, and I'm seriously disappointed to hear this poo poo. I never got to try on any of the high end full faces before we signed up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
IMO, weight matters less than aero, and web bike world pretty favorably reviewed the new bell base model.

If weight is an issue, though, I'd probably go with the previous gen bell star / star carbon on close out, it's a great helmet that I've been super happy with. Can't believe the old helmets I wore and how poorly they fit me against the custom fit.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Z3n posted:

IMO, weight matters less than aero, and web bike world pretty favorably reviewed the new bell base model.

If weight is an issue, though, I'd probably go with the previous gen bell star / star carbon on close out, it's a great helmet that I've been super happy with. Can't believe the old helmets I wore and how poorly they fit me against the custom fit.

Weight isn't an issue, they're not super heavy helmets or anything. But why on earth make a carbon fibre version of the helmet that ends up weighing more? Isn't the whole purpose of carbon fibre to reduce weight?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Partial Octopus posted:

Weight isn't an issue, they're not super heavy helmets or anything. But why on earth make a carbon fibre version of the helmet that ends up weighing more? Isn't the whole purpose of carbon fibre to reduce weight?

To tap the stupid rich demographic.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm tempted but from what I'm reading online those run a bit narrow. I'm normally a 10 wide so 11 would be my backup size.

If it makes a difference for advice I ride a cruiser so a sport boot probably wouldn't be a good choice anyways- I need to keep my ankle more upright and not bent forward. I'd love the Icon Elsinores but I don't know how wide the toebox is on those.

Toebox is just on the big side of medium. If you actually have wide feet, I don't think they'll work. The Elsinores had some issues with quality control on the buckles when they came out, not sure if that's resolved by now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Thanks. Goons at a meet recommended I get gloves instead of heated grips since they don't work with all gloves, but I might look into it after all. It's just gonna be a pain to get them on to my Brutale.

I have a Powerlet heated jacket liner and matching glove liners, and the glove liners are just "meh".

The wires feel weird, and they're way bulkier than something like a silk or merino glove liner. They do keep the backs of your hands and fingers warm vs. just the palm side, like heated grips, but I'd probably take heated grips + hand guards over the heated liners for anything except the longest trips in cold weather. There are winter gloves made with un-insulated palms that are specifically designed to pair with heated grips.

I was about to suggest hippo hands or something similar, but they do not belong on a Brutale.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jazzzzz posted:

I have a Powerlet heated jacket liner and matching glove liners, and the glove liners are just "meh".

The wires feel weird, and they're way bulkier than something like a silk or merino glove liner. They do keep the backs of your hands and fingers warm vs. just the palm side, like heated grips, but I'd probably take heated grips + hand guards over the heated liners for anything except the longest trips in cold weather. There are winter gloves made with un-insulated palms that are specifically designed to pair with heated grips.

I was about to suggest hippo hands or something similar, but they do not belong on a Brutale.

Merino liner sounds like a good cheap alternative to try. I will give it a shot first.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Sorry to keep pestering people in this thread, but how are Forma Adventures for wide feet? Revzilla's reviews say they run a bit wide but I want to check with some people here that have had them for a while. I assume the low versions are pretty much the same as the original except for height, correct?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Merino liner sounds like a good cheap alternative to try. I will give it a shot first.

Just make sure the gloves aren't super tight with the liner added, you do not want to reduce circulation to your fingers

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

pokie posted:

Nitrile gloves are useful too. They're cheap, and most importantly: thin. I used to ride with my GP Pros in the winter, and nitrile gloves helped a lot and they fit perfectly fine under even a well-fitted pair of race gloves. Your hands are still going to get cold, but they help block a lot of the wind, can be stashed anywhere, and are cheap.

I'll tell you this: don't buy heated glove liners. They're simply too bulky to fit under a pair of properly fitted gloves. I had a few people come in last winter who just bought heated glove liners and wanted help finding a pair of gloves that they would fit under. Without fail, they wouldn't be able to find a pair of gloves that weren't A) massively oversized (so you can only use them with liners) and/or B) simply uncomfortable.

If thin, non-heated liners don't work, either buy heated gloves, or get a pair of winter gloves that is compatible with heated grips (Held Twin is unquestionably my favorite non-heated winter glove). If you're going to be riding year-round, just go heated gear. Everything else is just dancing around the issue and you'll wind up going heated in the end anyway.

edit: And if you do go heated, just get Gerbing. Don't cheap out, and don't bother overpaying for Powerlet.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

Sorry to keep pestering people in this thread, but how are Forma Adventures for wide feet? Revzilla's reviews say they run a bit wide but I want to check with some people here that have had them for a while. I assume the low versions are pretty much the same as the original except for height, correct?

I can confirm they do run somewhat wide; you'll probably have an easier time finding the right size than I did. My feet are something like 9 to 9.5 US, and a 43 is just right for length and somewhat roomy over the arch of my foot (while 42 fits the arch perfectly but slightly crushes my toes, and 44 is only a little longer but absolutely cavernous).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

-Inu- posted:

I had a few people come in last winter who just bought heated glove liners and wanted help finding a pair of gloves that they would fit under. Without fail, they wouldn't be able to find a pair of gloves that weren't A) massively oversized (so you can only use them with liners)

I don't see a problem with this tbh, I would just consider the electric liner a permanent part of that glove. It's not like you have to have them turned on all the time.

Then again if it wasn't the weather for them to be turned on, I'd be wearing properly fitted leather gloves instead for the improved feel. Winter gloves are always going to be a tradeoff between having good feel at the start of the ride and being able to feel your hands at all after an hour of freezing wind chill. Since I mostly commute, I'll always prioritise the latter.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can confirm they do run somewhat wide; you'll probably have an easier time finding the right size than I did. My feet are something like 9 to 9.5 US, and a 43 is just right for length and somewhat roomy over the arch of my foot (while 42 fits the arch perfectly but slightly crushes my toes, and 44 is only a little longer but absolutely cavernous).

Awesome. I'm still waffling over the Adventures or the Terras, but I'll report back in once I have a pair to try.

On a completely unrelated note, I forgot about this movie until recently and this really should be at the top of the OP:

devians
Sep 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

How much do you care about your girlfriend's life and comfort?

Go to the store and get the (full-face) helmet she likes. Save up and eat ramen for a while if you have to.

Personally, when I ride with someone on the back, I have always worn the crappier helmet myself and given them the better one. The only thing worse than giving someone you love a bad experience (or, God forbid, seeing them injured) is knowing that a few bucks spent earlier could have changed the outcome.

Thats a bit of a long bow to draw mate. A helmet is a helmet in australia, they've all got to meet the same standard. You'll notice I only mentioned full face options, I'm not a moron.

It's not about eating ramen, its about not dropping $600+ when its not necessarily needed, especially when that can be put towards other gear so she can atgatt more comfortably. She's going to pillion for an hour or two tops at a time, a cheaper option is fine if she finds it comfortable, no need to have a wank about the latest ultralight racing whatever.

-Inu- posted:

HJC FG-17, or Scorpion EXO-R710. I have no idea of the market in AUS, but those are the best "budget" helmets in the US. I'd never put anyone into something less than I'd wear myself.

edit: almost missed this
New Star cheekpad sizes range from 25mm-60mm IIRC. Crush away. I don't recall how far they come forward, but I will warn that if you wear glasses, the slots in the star are at an upward angle for some dumb reason. Causes some glasses to not rest on your nose.

Thanks for the recommendations. She was quite happy with the hjc she tried on, but I neglected to get a model because its all window shopping at the moment. Will keep that in mind on a future trip, and see if anyone has the scorpion to try.

alr
May 14, 2009

devians posted:

Thats a bit of a long bow to draw mate. A helmet is a helmet in australia, they've all got to meet the same standard. You'll notice I only mentioned full face options, I'm not a moron.

Check out an AGV K3. They also make an SV version with a drop down sun visor. Apparently kinda loud (it's the only helmet I've owned so I can't compare) but that's why earplugs exist. You should be able to pick up a solid colour SV version for around $280 AUD. I have one, I love they fact they make a medium-small and a medium-large since I seem to be right on the border of medium and large in most brands. Bell fit me too tight on medium, too loose on large, etc. Drop down visor is far enough forward it clears eyeglasses too if that's ever a concern.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Nugget spotted: vipers make rattlegun noises not pew pew.

Original series were "pew pew." :colbert:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
If the K3 is anything like the K5, she'll be pretty happy, as long as it fits. The K5 is the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and it was super easy to route and hide all the wire for the microphone + speakers of my Sena SMH10R, has recesses for the speakers too. It is quite loud compared to others I've worn, but the airflow is fantastic. My only bugbear is that I think it will be difficult to chin-mount a GoPro when I get round to buying one, because the chinbar comes to a angular point rather than being round. I could mount it off to the side a bit and use longer arms to center it I guess.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

I don't see a problem with this tbh, I would just consider the electric liner a permanent part of that glove. It's not like you have to have them turned on all the time.

Then again if it wasn't the weather for them to be turned on, I'd be wearing properly fitted leather gloves instead for the improved feel. Winter gloves are always going to be a tradeoff between having good feel at the start of the ride and being able to feel your hands at all after an hour of freezing wind chill. Since I mostly commute, I'll always prioritise the latter.

I dropped a couple hundred bux on a pair of Dainese Gore-Tex winter gloves sized up so my heated glove liners fit, and I almost never wear the damned things because it's like trying to ride with oven mitts on your hands. I should definitely have just gone with heated gloves out of the gate, but heated grips and hand guards work just fine for my commute so I never bothered.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My first pair of winter gloves were some 3xl Olympias to fit over my summer gloves (I usually wear small to medium). Sure, it was bulky, but I got used to it.

devians
Sep 25, 2007

alr posted:

Check out an AGV K3. They also make an SV version with a drop down sun visor. Apparently kinda loud (it's the only helmet I've owned so I can't compare) but that's why earplugs exist. You should be able to pick up a solid colour SV version for around $280 AUD. I have one, I love they fact they make a medium-small and a medium-large since I seem to be right on the border of medium and large in most brands. Bell fit me too tight on medium, too loose on large, etc. Drop down visor is far enough forward it clears eyeglasses too if that's ever a concern.

Cheers, I'll put that one on the list as well. Noise shouldn't be too much of a problem in this instance, I ride an 800xc with a huge Madstad windscreen, very little wind behind it haha. She's a tiny little french girl so its basically down to who has small or extra small helmets.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

I dropped a couple hundred bux on a pair of Dainese Gore-Tex winter gloves sized up so my heated glove liners fit, and I almost never wear the damned things because it's like trying to ride with oven mitts on your hands.

This describes pretty much all the winter gloves I've ever tried on, is my point.

I've written and deleted a bunch of words but they all add up to "why the gently caress aren't boa straps more popular, I'd loving kill for winter gloves I could properly ratchet onto my hands to negate the fluffiness of all that insulation :argh:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This describes pretty much all the winter gloves I've ever tried on, is my point.

I've written and deleted a bunch of words but they all add up to "why the gently caress aren't boa straps more popular, I'd loving kill for winter gloves I could properly ratchet onto my hands to negate the fluffiness of all that insulation :argh:".

Because the fluffiness is what makes it insulation?