Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ret and circle plz return my spell to me at once, thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Did you guys realize that leadership field promotion now occurs on destroyed, but not removed from play? Did you think about what this means if you rfp the kreilstone bearer? Feel free to do so now.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I'm torn on whether to order Behemoth for my Khador army (adding a much-needed ranged heavy) or a Hellmouth for my Legion (because it's awesome and apparently a core Legion piece now). Leaning toward big B since I still haven't figured out the right ratio of beasts to infantry/support for my Legion lists.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Did you guys realize that leadership field promotion now occurs on destroyed, but not removed from play? Did you think about what this means if you rfp the kreilstone bearer? Feel free to do so now.

Oh my God are you serious because this is the best

Amateur Sketch posted:

I'm torn on whether to order Behemoth for my Khador army (adding a much-needed ranged heavy) or a Hellmouth for my Legion (because it's awesome and apparently a core Legion piece now). Leaning toward big B since I still haven't figured out the right ratio of beasts to infantry/support for my Legion lists.

Giant stompy robot, or other thing? Hmmmm :v:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

rydiafan posted:

I'm reading primed and it says rfp? oh Jesus tapdancing Christ.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 20, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

. The Leader model takes over if an Officer is rfped, but Grunts become the Leader model only if it's destroyed. If it's rfped before that you simply choose one to be the unit commander.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

mr. stefan posted:

Scything Touch is an absolutely ridiculous ball buster in ret, holy poo poo

*Sound of effective P+S 16 Halbs coming screaming at you from 15 inches away*

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kithkar posted:

*Sound of effective P+S 16 Halbs coming screaming at you from 15 inches away*

*Sound of them instantly dying to my gator battle engines.*

:smuggo:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

rydiafan posted:

*Sound of them instantly dying to my gator battle engines.*

:smuggo:

:argh:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I was going to respond to the whole "skorne tears.txt" post but then I went to the Cryx forum and there is a thread about how undead units are unplayable next to living ones.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

lokipunk posted:

I was going to respond to the whole "skorne tears.txt" post but then I went to the Cryx forum and there is a thread about how undead units are unplayable next to living ones.

Lmao hahahahahaha what

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

S.J. posted:

Lmao hahahahahaha what

To be fair if I'd bought 30 Bane Knights and 30 Mechanithralls in Mk2 I'd probably be salty as well. And that's not an unreasonable scenario for a Mk2 Cryx player.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

To be fair if I'd bought 30 Bane Knights and 30 Mechanithralls in Mk2 I'd probably be salty as well. And that's not an unreasonable scenario for a Mk2 Cryx player.

I'm alittle bit salty about the 10 bane knights I bought, only because I spent $80 and don't really ever think about putting them in lists anymore.

The Cryx forums are whiny as poo poo, but I personally think all 3 of the bane units and the solo are overcosted by just a tiny bit. Oh and the slayer chassis.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hra Mormo posted:

Maybe the lesson to learn is diversify instead of double/triple up on stuff? This is something I see happening more often going forward if balance fixes are part of the errata documents. For instance, you'll hear stuff about Hellmouths if they either get more expensive or have reduced abilities to more closely align them with the current 6pt cost. Going all in on certain stuff as your only option in a category seems to leave you very vulnerable to balance fixes or just new stuff coming out to counter them. My plan was always a variety of stuff before I doubled back to get everything up to FA. Even the Skorne realignment didn't hurt too badly to my collection, so I feel this is the way to go to avoid disappointment.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, it screws over the Storm Blade leader too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mechanithralls I can understand but bane knights are still really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

rkajdi posted:

Maybe the lesson to learn is diversify instead of double/triple up on stuff? This is something I see happening more often going forward if balance fixes are part of the errata documents. For instance, you'll hear stuff about Hellmouths if they either get more expensive or have reduced abilities to more closely align them with the current 6pt cost. Going all in on certain stuff as your only option in a category seems to leave you very vulnerable to balance fixes or just new stuff coming out to counter them. My plan was always a variety of stuff before I doubled back to get everything up to FA. Even the Skorne realignment didn't hurt too badly to my collection, so I feel this is the way to go to avoid disappointment.

I haven't played / thought about this game in about a year but this is basically what I did with Legion; got one of everything that looked cool and only doubled/tripled up on Forsaken and Shepherds because, well, they're Forsaken and Shepherds.

Is Proteus good now?

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
bane knights are still cool and hit just about as hard, and vengance and ghostly are cool.

bane thralls OTOH... idk. the 1" reach is neat, I guess. I haven't really had a chance to play them.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't played / thought about this game in about a year but this is basically what I did with Legion; got one of everything that looked cool and only doubled/tripled up on Forsaken and Shepherds because, well, they're Forsaken and Shepherds.

Is Proteus good now?

He's at least decent. Legion is in a weird place for people, because they lost some fury control and now need some units to go along with beasts. Their lessers are also lolbad in general, so shredder swarms don't work anymore. So you might be a bit screwed if your plan was no or few units depending on your caster choice.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

rydiafan posted:

rfp kreilstone bearer? Feel free to do so now.

Did an infernal rule on that? People on the forums are firmly in the denial stage of grief.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Did an infernal rule on that? People on the forums are firmly in the denial stage of grief.

The rules pictured above flat out say "If the leader model is RFPed go gently caress yourself." I don't know what basis they're using for their denial.

Now, 90% of things that would RFP the bearer will let him sac pawn first, so it'll be difficult to do, but it's for sure what the rules say.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

rkajdi posted:

Yeah this is why I didn't go all in on 9 units of daughters for Thyra's tier. Would have been pretty pissed off now since unlike most of the other spam tiers they didn't get a FA increase.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
But then the unit can't do anything. I don't think that rule will stand.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

But then the unit can't do anything.

Sure they can. They can still do everything a unit can normally do, including running and charging. They only lose access to anything unique to the leader model, like the stone, or the Stormblade glaive, or Croe's special weapons.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Excelsiortothemax posted:

But then the unit can't do anything. I don't think that rule will stand.

Yea this the justification. A glorified "nuh-uh!"

Vvv: All the non troll battle boxes are fairly balanced against each other.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 21, 2016

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
So, I had been contemplating making the dive into trying Hordes out (I've never played a miniatures game before). Lo and behold, my LGS is now carrying the new battlegroup boxes. I guess my question is whether or not they're decently balanced against each other if everyone has never played before.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Douche Phoenix posted:

So, I had been contemplating making the dive into trying Hordes out (I've never played a miniatures game before). Lo and behold, my LGS is now carrying the new battlegroup boxes. I guess my question is whether or not they're decently balanced against each other if everyone has never played before.

Short answer: Basically yes.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

If I end up playing tomorrow Imma try out dis.

Cryx Army - 75 / 75 points

(Skarre 2) Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast [+26]
- Nightwretch [7]
- Harrower [16]
- Nightwretch [7]
Bloodgorgers (max) [15]
Carrion Thralls (max) [10]
Bane Warriors (max) [17]
General Gerlak Slaughterborn [7]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Pistol Wraith [5]
Satyxis Gunslingers [7]
Machine Wraith [2]

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the full revenent package with skarre2 could be good. with black spot, rengrave, and the two cannon crews, you can make 6 new revenants a turn from 12" away pretty reliably (rengrave at effective RAT 8 and the cannon at effective RAT 7 with boosted hit rolls). the other side of the coin is that you have to own rengrave, the revenent crew, and two cannons

e: ^^ oh hey, skarre2. jc, why skarre2 over skarre1 there? skarre1 seems like she does a lot of stuff that list likes

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wells posted:

I wonder if the full revenent package with skarre2 could be good. with black spot, rengrave, and the two cannon crews, you can make 6 new revenants a turn from 12" away pretty reliably (rengrave at effective RAT 8 and the cannon at effective RAT 7 with boosted hit rolls). the other side of the coin is that you have to own rengrave, the revenent crew, and two cannons

e: ^^ oh hey, skarre2. jc, why skarre2 over skarre1 there? skarre1 seems like she does a lot of stuff that list likes

Death ward for the Bloodgorgers mostly, oh and black spot too.

Also soul strike or whatever her spell is. The way it currently stands if I kill a gorger whos engaged with death ward on its a boosted pow 20 to something within 4 that auto hits... I just can't pass the tough roll.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
you're gonna deliver them by doing the crows/gunslingers thing? lemme know how that goes, I really want it to be good. mainly because I want a way to reliably deliver my race traitor trolls.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Had a big event in ottawa this weekend, with 22 players in a 'masters' style event. I ended up in 6th with a 2-1 record and a SoS of 5, the 5 guys above had 3 of them with 3-0 and 2 guys with 2-1 and an SoS of 6. Still, pretty good! I had a game against a merc player where I couldn't hit for poo poo and he ran around me in circles (drat forest on the center of the map) scoring points. Buddy also rolled successes on 15 of 18 tough rolls. Butts!

I also won like 7/7 iron arena games which is good, I think! For my prize, I exchanged my skulls for a box of Kossite Woodsmen, the only Khador models available. I'mma put them in a Malakov2 list for throat slitter horseshit. Yuuuup! Just have to figure out what I'll take out...

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 21, 2016

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wells posted:

you're gonna deliver them by doing the crows/gunslingers thing? lemme know how that goes, I really want it to be good. mainly because I want a way to reliably deliver my race traitor trolls.

Maybe, I was thinking just armour 18 then 20 once in combat should be enough to get most of them there. I want birds + banes for heavies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

rkajdi posted:

He's at least decent. Legion is in a weird place for people, because they lost some fury control and now need some units to go along with beasts. Their lessers are also lolbad in general, so shredder swarms don't work anymore. So you might be a bit screwed if your plan was no or few units depending on your caster choice.

As long as Abby1 and 2 can still pull it off I should be okay. :ohdear:

"Beasts and nothing but beasts" is the whole reason I chose Legion in the first place, though, so I hope there are at least a few niches where it's viable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Switched back to Kaelyssa to take on a Ossrum force using the Galleon under the Jr warcaster. Kaelyssa is loving amazing. Won 5-0 on scenario. Refuge in Discordia is loving amazing. Discordia is loving amazing.

Here's the list I was using. I'm considering dropping the 2 Manticores and 2 MHaS to swap in Phoenix and Banshee. Feel like I need a arc node to move Refuge about mainly between Disco and Eiryss. Downside of this is 2 Manticores provide a lot of covering fire for dealing with higher Def Low arm infantry. This is paired with a Helyanna Sentinel Heavy Jack brick.

Kaelyssa, The Night's Whisper - WJ: +29
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker - PC: 4
- Discordia - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Manticore - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
- Manticore - PC: 14

Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 7
Ghost Sniper - PC: 3
Ghost Sniper - PC: 3
Houseguard Thane - PC: 4
Soulless Voidtracer - PC: 2
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 4
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 4

Houseguard Halberdiers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
- Houseguard Halberdier Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4
Heavy Rifle Team - Leader & Grunt: 4

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Saalkin posted:

If I end up playing tomorrow Imma try out dis.

Cryx Army - 75 / 75 points

(Skarre 2) Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast [+26]
- Nightwretch [7]
- Harrower [16]
- Nightwretch [7]
Bloodgorgers (max) [15]
Carrion Thralls (max) [10]
Bane Warriors (max) [17]
General Gerlak Slaughterborn [7]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Pistol Wraith [5]
Satyxis Gunslingers [7]
Machine Wraith [2]

I've been thinking about playing Bloodgorgers with Skarre2 but I feel like the whole point of doing that is to not have to pay the massive 7 point tax in the form of Gerlak just to make them functional. I definitely don't feel like he's worth his own points, and is barely worth it when buffing Bloodgorgers. With Black Spot you basically get pseudo-berserk for free when you MAT-fix your Bloodgorgers. At this point you're just bringing Gerlak for redundancy, for which, again, I feel he's not worth the points.

I also really like that Skarre2 kept Backlash, which makes charging your Bloodgorgers in to chip away at a jack potentially worthwhile. Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but I really feel like they might have some serious value under Skarre2 that people haven't caught on to yet. Super anxious to hear how things worked out for you with this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Cygnar moved onto the acceptance stage about this loving over Stormblades even harder a while ago, sadly. It's pretty trivial to pick out a 12/15 unit leader who needs to be up front with an RFP effect if you really want to and then the whole unit loses a shitload of hitting power permanently.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So rather than starting to give GW money again after so long I've decided to look into starting Warmachine. How easy is it to pick up though, and how long do games tend to last? Would anyone recommend picking up the two player battle set, or can I just get away with downloading the free pdf and buying the starter kit I like?

How well balanced are the factions? are there any that are wildly over/underpowered? How do the models stack up against games workshops latest stuff?

Oh, and how do you determine how many units you can use per battle? points based?

King Doom fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 21, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

King Doom posted:

So rather than starting to give GW money again after so long I've decided to look into starting Warmachine. How easy is it to pick up though, and how long do games tend to last? Would anyone recommend picking up the two player battle set, or can I just get away with downloading the free pdf and buying the starter kit I like?

How well balanced are the factions? are there any that are wildly over/underpowered? How do the models stack up against games workshops latest stuff?

Oh, and how do you determine how many units you can use per battle? points based?

It's fairly easy to pick up: most of the rulebook is diagrams and such which makes it seem like there's more than there actually is. If you're coming from a previous minis game, such as warhammer, you'll have a good grasp of how things work going in. Games at the average points value last between an hour and 2 hours, though usually closer to 2. Sometimes they'll go beyond that but only if you're both not trying very hard to win.

The two player battle set gives very good value for the $$ cost, but the latest battleboxes (the starter sets) come with enough dudes to start, the rulebook, some tokens and dice, and some other stuff. They are cheap and 100% where you want to start.

Faction balance is very good. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't understand/ isn't good the game, or simply doesn't play very much. The models themselves are, in my opinion, lower quality than the GW models I own (I own warhammer fantasy dark elves from approx 7 years ago). Keep in mind, however, that warmachine models are also quite a bit less expensive. Quality varies across the years, but generally you'll be happy with what you paid for them.

Battles are determined by points. Typically a battle is 75 points, which is typically your Warcaster/Warlock (Army general/super hero, if they die you lose the game), 2-6 robots, a unit or two of 5-10 dudes, and some solos. The smallest army you can field that has a full 75 points would be 4? 5? models, I think, if you use the giant rear end ones.

In terms of cost to get you to that 75 point tier you're probably looking at 250ish - 350ish USD, depending on what you buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
This is important: Pick the faction you think looks the coolest. Don't listen to people telling you about what is better than what.