Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Actually, a thought: are the Rebels vs Elite Ten battles official Shokugekis? If I remember correctly, one of the official rules was that there have to be stakes which both parties agree on, so in theory they could simply just refuse to Food Fight it out.

I mean, Souma and Takumi are obviously not going to go that route :allears: but it would be funny if we had some of the Rebels going "nope, no way, nuh huh, not doing this, I'll stick with the regular exam thank you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

Actually, a thought: are the Rebels vs Elite Ten battles official Shokugekis? If I remember correctly, one of the official rules was that there have to be stakes which both parties agree on, so in theory they could simply just refuse to Food Fight it out.

I mean, Souma and Takumi are obviously not going to go that route :allears: but it would be funny if we had some of the Rebels going "nope, no way, nuh huh, not doing this, I'll stick with the regular exam thank you".

Please this is not a shokugeki just a simple test. He has no ability to refuse :smug:

(this also means anyone whoever loses here won't necessarily lose their seat. I expect Hayama to though)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The big question for me here is are Soma and Hisako going to high-five when he tells her about taking Hayama down and if so how hard

E: if they do something remotely like the Polnareff Kakyoin secret handshake I will never stop reading

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 18, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Huh, I guess Rindo turned Hayama into a vampire.

Hayama is dracula now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More appropriate than ever:

Mikl posted:

Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: An Endless Parade of Meat

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just checked that quote and holy poo poo this manga really goes places in a year

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

You know what would be awesome? Even though I know it won't happen because it's shonen and they must milk the drama for all it's worth, it would be really amazing if next chapter opened with a two-page spread of Hayama lying defeated, his defeat being so obvious that the author cut to the chase and skipped the battle.

Hayama facedown in a crater somehow.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So how hard is Hayama about to get destroyed here? He's now a glorified miniboss and literally half his lines this chapter are setting him up for a hard lesson (he superficially moved up and rank has always been important to him, but Soma is the one that's been fighting the E10 for forever, Hayama being isolated vs. Soma picking up new tricks from literally everybody, etc.)

Will we believe a man('s nose) can fly (straight off his face after he gets wrecked)?

I'm not entirely sure this is just a Shokugeki-esque test as opposed to just some kind of other test administered by Elite 10 guys, is it?

If its just "you have to do a Shokugeki against an Elite 10 member and win" then it would be beyond idiotic if everyone in the Rebel group managed to win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not entirely sure this is just a Shokugeki-esque test as opposed to just some kind of other test administered by Elite 10 guys, is it?

If its just "you have to do a Shokugeki against an Elite 10 member and win" then it would be beyond idiotic if everyone in the Rebel group managed to win.

Yeah, it's just the latest fool proof method of eliminating the rebels. Why they aren't just expelled instead of playing obviously rigged games isn't clear, but this is round 3 of the Why Aren't You Expelled Yet Games.

My guess is when old man Nakiri is reinstated as the Director everyone who got kicked out fighting Central gets reinstated, which lets a bunch of the rebel crew lose without going away forever. Soma, Hisako, Megumi, the Aldinis, Alice and Ryo are pretty much all going to win, but the rest of them have a decent chance of losing.

I'm assuming one of the Aldinis is fighting Copy Cat Chef, who along with Hojo is going to fill the remaining Elite 10 slots.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gyges posted:

Yeah, it's just the latest fool proof method of eliminating the rebels. Why they aren't just expelled instead of playing obviously rigged games isn't clear, but this is round 3 of the Why Aren't You Expelled Yet Games.

Part of Azami's public relations coup was convincing students that they wouldn't be expelled for no reason. He needs them to suffer some kind of fig leaf loss before being expelled to keep from looking like a huge liar.

And if Central's ways are The One True Cooking, and these guys deviate from that, then there shouldn't be any problem getting them to lose, right?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gyges posted:

I'm assuming one of the Aldinis is fighting Copy Cat Chef, who along with Hojo is going to fill the remaining Elite 10 slots.

Nah I don't think Mimasaka's going to double turncoat back, I think Hojo's a good call but I'm hoping on a deeper pull or a brand new character for the last one

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Gyges posted:

Remember also that naked apron sempai made a rule about completely objective judging of the food being tasted. And this is a shonen manga so the bad guys are still going to follow the rules. Except when they don't. But they'll follow that rule to the letter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

My guess is when old man Nakiri is reinstated as the Director everyone who got kicked out fighting Central gets reinstated, which lets a bunch of the rebel crew lose without going away forever. Soma, Hisako, Megumi, the Aldinis, Alice and Ryo are pretty much all going to win, but the rest of them have a decent chance of losing.

Hojo is established fodder though

Like her one major event was a loss to Megumi

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

Why Doesn't Azami Just Shoot All The Rebellers With A Gun?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trihugger posted:

Remember also that naked apron sempai made a rule about completely objective judging of the food being tasted. And this is a shonen manga so the bad guys are still going to follow the rules. Except when they don't. But they'll follow that rule to the letter.

you know guys in one piece luffy doesn't even kill anyone, all the bad guys can just pick themselves up dust themselves off and just go back to whatever bullshit they were up to.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

paragon1 posted:

Part of Azami's public relations coup was convincing students that they wouldn't be expelled for no reason. He needs them to suffer some kind of fig leaf loss before being expelled to keep from looking like a huge liar.

And if Central's ways are The One True Cooking, and these guys deviate from that, then there shouldn't be any problem getting them to lose, right?

I get that A)there's not as much of a story if they just get expelled, and B)The Director wants to have it look like they hosed up, but the way he's going about B) is dumb. Giving someone poo poo ingredients and no ingredients in a cooking contest isn't much different than just sending them a letter in the mail that says they're expelled. The first attempt at utterly destroying dissent by rigging the Shokugeki was a much better evil betrayal of all that is good about cooking.

I enjoyed the work arounds and the little mini arcs themselves, it's just a poor overall strategy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Patware posted:

Nah I don't think Mimasaka's going to double turncoat back, I think Hojo's a good call but I'm hoping on a deeper pull or a brand new character for the last one

Eh, I think both Mimasaka and Hojo were kind of implied to be with the rebels, but maybe not. They just recently appeared in Chapter 175 after all.

On that note, I expected Hayama to side with Nakiridad for a while. The thing Gin said to him after he won the Moon Banquet kinda struck me as odd otherwise. And he's temporary Ninth Seat, so I guess Eizan got moved up (since former Seats 3, 7, and 8 were practically ousted).

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The anime reason is that losing to them and then kicking them out doesn't look very good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

I get that A)there's not as much of a story if they just get expelled, and B)The Director wants to have it look like they hosed up, but the way he's going about B) is dumb. Giving someone poo poo ingredients and no ingredients in a cooking contest isn't much different than just sending them a letter in the mail that says they're expelled. The first attempt at utterly destroying dissent by rigging the Shokugeki was a much better evil betrayal of all that is good about cooking.

I enjoyed the work arounds and the little mini arcs themselves, it's just a poor overall strategy.

Rindou just said this chapter that the teachers did it on their own without Azami's knowledge or agreement. She could be lying about it of course, but that'd be pretty out there for her. I guess we'll know for sure if there's any kind of scene of Azami throwing the teachers out on their rear end for it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rindou just said this chapter that the teachers did it on their own without Azami's knowledge or agreement. She could be lying about it of course, but that'd be pretty out there for her. I guess we'll know for sure if there's any kind of scene of Azami throwing the teachers out on their rear end for it.

Azami is probably lying his rear end off to most of the E10 members, because there was clear collaboration across the faculty to gently caress over the rebel group. Considering they've been turned into essentially a bunch of toadies by this point, it's pretty unlikely they just up and decided to do it on their own. Especially since he was there showing everyone else the proper cooking techniques before both competitions.

There's got to be at least one level of actual deniability between Azami and the E10, so that there's a reason for them to still be there after Azami gets thrown out on his rear end and the Director comes back. Eizan seems to be the only one portrayed as an evil dipshit from step one, everyone else are just up their own rear end cooking elites.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it just shows how incompetent azami is. he has a group of super chefs that he approves of and a bunch of rebel chefs he does not approve of. if his views are correct then the elite 10 should have no problem knocking out any troublesome students. actually, anyone who learns the azami cooking method should be automatically superior to anyone who does not, but i guess not even food hitler is dumb enough to send nameless mooks after the protagonist's group.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

it just shows how incompetent azami is. he has a group of super chefs that he approves of and a bunch of rebel chefs he does not approve of. if his views are correct then the elite 10 should have no problem knocking out any troublesome students. actually, anyone who learns the azami cooking method should be automatically superior to anyone who does not, but i guess not even food hitler is dumb enough to send nameless mooks after the protagonist's group.

He's got to unteach all the wrong ways they've been learning how to cook since he stepped in last month.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I assume azami told the teachers "do poo poo so they won't pass" and the teachers had free reign to decide how to go about that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

I assume azami told the teachers "do poo poo so they won't pass" and the teachers had free reign to decide how to go about that

I feel like at the very least, he'd have enough respect for Soma and Alice to know those teachers probably wouldn't accomplish jack?

Like I have a hard time thinking he expects Soma to lose to Hayama here even, this could honestly just be him hanging the nose out to dry (and as a first year get expelled for failing his own exam) as a way to mess with Soma before whatever his big play is kicks in.

E: I'm watching this episode and it really makes me excited for the magic nose to be destroyed

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 21, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
azami doesn't respect any of the students. even the idiots who went along with his nonsense are just tools to him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah dude hates the whole industry and is trying to burn the whole thing down.

Or at least I hope so, he doesn't make much sense to me otherwise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Yeah dude hates the whole industry and is trying to burn the whole thing down.

Or at least I hope so, he doesn't make much sense to me otherwise.

That's pretty much my interpretation and it looked like Fumio's, too.

Dude's endgame for high level cuisine seems to be everyone worshiping and copying high level talent like his best buddy Jouichirou, having his daughter enforce that down to the slightest difference in food quality and running the school that ruined his idol in his mind straight into the ground.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alice-mom's accent is horrible. Like, I have heard the whitest of white people with less-terrible accents. XD I just... wow, who the heck did they get to do voice work for her, and was she literally someone with zero exposure to anime or anything Japanese reading romanji off a sheet of paper?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alice-mom's accent is horrible. Like, I have heard the whitest of white people with less-terrible accents. XD I just... wow, who the heck did they get to do voice work for her, and was she literally someone with zero exposure to anime or anything Japanese reading romanji off a sheet of paper?

Well

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Sayaka-Ohara/

Probably not

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is this your first time watching an anime or something, "foreigner speaking poor japanese" has been around forever

My favorite was the girl from sketchbook that said "so non dess karrr"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Look, even with what's-his-face the Italian dude from the hell camp, Gotou or something like that, you could still tell that the VA was Japanese. This? I can't believe I'm saying this, but having as terrible an accent as that is an uncommon skill.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

This lady has momcasting on lockdown

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm looking forward to her VA nailing the disrobing next episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thinking about changing my avatar to something from this series, does anyone have some good suggestions? The first one that came to mind was Eizan after eating the Gyoza, but if anyone has some good ideas I'd love to see them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm thinking about changing my avatar to something from this series, does anyone have some good suggestions? The first one that came to mind was Eizan after eating the Gyoza, but if anyone has some good ideas I'd love to see them.

Cabbage Pink.

Alice.

Alice's mom.

Piuy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elfgames posted:

I'm going to guess that he never directly tells them to do that. They just know they're supposed to. It's part of saving up for the inevitable heel-face turn.

This dude is gonna reconcile with Erina by the end of his arc (however excruciatingly long that may be). Part of Soma being perfect white knight husbando is that he engineers it with his creative cooking or some poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm going to guess that he never directly tells them to do that. They just know they're supposed to. It's part of saving up for the inevitable heel-face turn.

This dude is gonna reconcile with Erina by the end of his arc (however excruciatingly long that may be). Part of Soma being perfect white knight husbando is that he engineers it with his creative cooking or some poo poo.

How do you reconcile 6 months of child abuse and isolation and immediately attempting to do the same thing when you show up after 10 years? I can't see a way to do it that won't be really forced and awkward.

But based on the way they've been handling Azami I think you're right. The way they frame some of the interactions he has (tolerance of a secretary that complains, Azami and Erina seeing they have a common link in Jouichirou) seems intended to humanize him and set something like that up.

If Tsukuda can actually figure out a way to navigate it in a way that's not awful I could see it working out for whatever arcs that come after if Azami sticks around as the now completely reformed, now good headmaster of the school - and has the exact same personality.

E: I'm thinking something like him organizing and ~evilly~ overseeing an international interschool cooking tournament for the ~evil~ benefit of the students. Like a really benign :moreevil:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 24, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

i think that he's going to get kicked out of school and come back a few arcs later as the ultimate villain

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Soma's dad and Azami have the ultimate good dad-bad dad shokugeki which Azami loses meaning Soma's dad adopts Erina. Whacky cooking hijinks ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

net work error posted:

Soma's dad and Azami have the ultimate good dad-bad dad shokugeki which Azami loses meaning Soma's dad adopts Erina. Whacky cooking hijinks ensue.

She'd last a week before running back to Azami after one too many grilled squid with raspberry jam-style "experiments".