Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

im allergic to game of thrones, sry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lol "bleed builds are cheap"

I bet you think parrying is op too

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

well, carthus rouge really just is a dumb item

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im being super original and doing a Guts build

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eonwe posted:

im being super original and doing a Guts build

Miyazaki put Guts' armor in the game, what did you expect?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Garrand posted:

I mean, I can't tell you how spatial and time relationships are supposed to work in Dark Souls, but yes the Dark Firelink Shrine is in the past. Gundyr was a champion who failed to arrive in time; by the time he came the firekeeper was already dead and the flame extinguished. He had failed in his mission, and then we killed him. After that he rests there with the coiled sword testing for those worthy to link the flame.

The temporal nature of that area is unclear. For example, the appearance of the Hollow's Ashes in Yoel's location after he dies would seem to imply it's in the future, as would the Coiled Sword Fragment description of the shrine bonfire as having served its purpose long ago.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

The original Timeline still technically exists because Ludleth can't actually reverse time in totality he can just create a situation where the flame could be linked again. This is where the silly Lords thing comes from, because Ludleth came up with a new method of linking the fire that will hopefully fix it permanently. Specifically they're all meant to match up with one of the most important characters from Gwyn's stuff. Yhorm is probably Seathe, a descendent of a great and powerful race that ruled over humanity/hollows but allied with them. Lothric, last hope of his line, is Gwyn, first of the gods. Ludleth is the Pygmy, small but powerful. The other two are a mess but you could probably argue either way for both, Aldrich was a normal person who became a monster (Witch) but he's also a mass of corpses (Nito), and the Abyss Watchers are specifically Undead (Nito) but they're also a group of people united by blood (Witch+daughters).

You're right about the thematic links to the Lord Souls, but Yhorm's relationship to the Profaned Flame makes him analogous to the Witch of Izalith. The Twin Princes are Seath, Aldritch is Nito, and the Abyss Watchers are the Four Kings.

Toady fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 21, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GulagDolls posted:

well, carthus rouge really just is a dumb item

Throw a Duel Charm at them to remove it from their weapon and then hit them if they try to reapply, it works for all weapon buffs

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i didn't have a lot of problems fighting people who use it when i played this game. it's just, a ton of free damage!!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Decrepus posted:

Why can't you chug from Cheers emote

That would be amazing.

Make it so, DLC!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Decrepus posted:

Why can't you chug from Cheers emote

If you have a Seigbrau in your inventory it should be added to that emote

If you have a DS2 save on the same platform that's past Grave of Saints it should be a Heineken

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Game is basically the same and a good pvp level for Anor Londo is 50-65 for the Aldrich covenant or any level for honorabruru 1v1 duels.

You mean besides poise working differently to the point that you have to pay close attention to the game to even try and figure out how it works?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hunt11 posted:

You mean besides poise working differently to the point that you have to pay close attention to the game to even try and figure out how it works?

Poise doesn't work and the devs hosed it up, nuff said. If its such a problem to you stop getting hit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Poise doesn't work and the devs hosed it up, nuff said. If its such a problem to you stop getting hit.

I am not advocating another discussion on the subject, but if somebody is asking about the game as someone who is just starting it is something they should know.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hunt11 posted:

Poise doesn't work differently at all. It's exactly the same as it was at launch.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hunt11 posted:

He's comparing the current game to the game at launch, not DS3 to a previous DS title. In that case it is basically the same, yes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't seem to find Patches anywhere. I found Siegward and we killed that fire demon, then I exhausted all his dialogue. I got the Tower Key, but when I went in Patches never showed up. Siegward also isn't his well. What did I gently caress up?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I can't seem to find Patches anywhere. I found Siegward and we killed that fire demon, then I exhausted all his dialogue. I got the Tower Key, but when I went in Patches never showed up. Siegward also isn't his well. What did I gently caress up?

Did you do all the junk with Patches in the Cathedral?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

Did you do all the junk with Patches in the Cathedral?

No, I went to Farron Keep first. What do I need to do at the Cathedral?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You need to open the main door of the cathedral to spawn Patches. Siegward is in the well after you kill the Deacons as far as I know. If Patches doesn't show up at that point, he's skipped the Cathedral appearance and will show up in the tower (you gotta go up the elevator and use it come back down).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can't decide whether wrestle goats or opera goats are worse.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If at any point you use the 20,000 souls key from the shrine handmaiden to open the tower patches will skip the cathedral entirely and just end up trapping you in the tower. Once you do the cathedral go up to where the fire keeper soul is, patches should close the tower door on you as you ascend.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Digirat posted:

My vote is for big fire goats

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Paracelsus posted:

Miyazaki put Guts' armor in the game, what did you expect?

Abyss watchers?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wrestle goats are the worst but thankfully they only appear in a few spots.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Feonir posted:

If at any point you use the 20,000 souls key from the shrine handmaiden to open the tower patches will skip the cathedral entirely and just end up trapping you in the tower. Once you do the cathedral go up to where the fire keeper soul is, patches should close the tower door on you as you ascend.

No he won't. He's still in the Cathedral.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

He wasn't there for me and I had to go to the tower to make him appear

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

What's an opera goat?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Digirat posted:

He wasn't there for me and I had to go to the tower to make him appear

That's a bit more complicated than "get the key, he's there". It's kind of hard to quantify what exactly makes him skip the cathedral (something like going up the rafters, but that's not foolproof or anything), but it's certainly not having the tower key.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think crossing the rafters without talking to patches makes him skip the cathedral. I've gotten past the cathedral entirely but didn't up that elevator or go to rosaria and he never appeared in the tower until I went back and spawned him in the cathedral.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i just beat dark souls one and it was really good well bye

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm glad you liked it. Have you tried DS3?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ghost Dog posted:

What do you mean it was "good"? What was your least favorite thing about it?

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
Dark souls one is the best in the soul series

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Ghost Dog posted:

thanks for playing. you could play the sequels but keep in mind you've basically just played the high point of the entire series.

Garrand posted:

I think crossing the rafters without talking to patches makes him skip the cathedral. I've gotten past the cathedral entirely but didn't up that elevator or go to rosaria and he never appeared in the tower until I went back and spawned him in the cathedral.
Going to confirm this as my experience as well. Out of the several characters I've played so far, the ones who accidentally go up to the rafters first instead of talking to Patches don't see him in the Cathedral at all. He also doesn't come to Firelink until he's either completed or skipped the Cathedral stuff. It's hard to say what exactly causes him to go away though; I think it's when you enter the Cathedral from the uppermost entrance, but for all I know just climbing up the ladder to get to that part might get him to disappear.

Edit: I think the issue is that Patches doesn't spawn into the map unless you enter his part of the Cathedral from a certain path. The gate/bridge/whatever is obviously not up when you first enter the zone, but it switches to that state when you see Patches for the first time. The trigger for him to appear in the first place is probably the elevator to the upper level of the cathedral. The game likely also checks to see if the player has already discovered the alternate path to Rosaria's room before spawning him, since a big part of Patches appearance is just in general to get you to look for the other way to that side of the cathedral.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 22, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you take the rafters, drop down near Rosaria's spawn, raise the bridge, cross it and open the front door, and then rest or restart the game, then a)Siegward's well incident is triggered and b)Patches will be back at Firelink waiting to trap you. If you instead get up to the front door from the bottom of the cathedral, then restart the game or rest at a fire, you will then find Patches nearby in Siegward's armor, ready to trick you into getting eaten by the giant.

If you do neither of these things, then much later in the game Patches will happily trap you back at Firelink. I don't remember what triggers this, you may need to make it as far as Irithyll.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Siegward

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always kill the giants before even trying to go to the upper cathedral, so Patches tricks are in vain (this was true even for my first playthrough) so I just run back up and face him.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
my favorite thing to do in pvp is to watch duels and then nuke the winner with forbidden sun before he heals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

MarshyMcFly posted:

Everyone's like HUR DUR CAN'T DO THAT IN A DUREL U GIT GUD SCRUB!!!! I
please source your quotes