Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

No time for therapy, all my free time for the foreseeable future has been booked up grinding for a loving Cutter.

(But that's an acceptable mechanic in everybody else's book and I'm the brownsea nutjob just for wanting ship transfer to take a bit of time so it doesn't render the entire game universe's established system of interstellar travel completely nonsensical.)

What's nonsensical about it? Your ship is sent to you using FSD, and the time that it takes is skipped because forcing the player to wait through that in real-time is stupid. It's not any more "nonsensical" than instant ship repairs, swapping out critical ship components in a matter of seconds, or loading 500 tons of cargo just as quickly as 1 ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rebel Blob posted:

I've heard that making credits isn't quite such an incredible grind anymore? What is the best way to make some money in Elite these days?

Grab an Asp and stick a ton of cargo bays on it, a 4A/5A fuel scoop, and an Advanced Discovery Scanner then take it out to Sothis (make sure to scan each system on the way with your ADS).

When you get to Newholm, sell the exploration data for a bit of influence, then reset the mission board (or fly to CEOs) and grab missions which ask you to transport something (usually biowaste) to a system in the bubble, ~400+ly away. Grab the ones that have you move about a dozen things for 5-6M credits, then fill up your hold with them. Fly the missions back to the bubble and cash in! Should be able to make ~25-40M per run which take about an hour round trip with board scumming.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trustworthy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck instantaneous ship transfer for like a dozen different reasons. I want QoL improvements, not lowest common denominator pubbie pandering.

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go :argh:

I, too, hate fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Trustworthy posted:

No time for therapy, all my free time for the foreseeable future has been booked up grinding for a loving Cutter.

(But that's an acceptable mechanic in everybody else's book and I'm the brownsea nutjob just for wanting ship transfer to take a bit of time so it doesn't render the entire game universe's established system of interstellar travel completely nonsensical.)

Uh no the grind for Cutters and Corvettes is also stupid but that has been decided and done with so nobody bothers to bitch about it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I, too, hate fun.

We all do or we wouldn't be playing ED. I can see how instant transfer of any ship any distance might kind of remove a reason to make sacrifices on a bunch of ships but logistics and poo poo isn't really a part of this game. The only difference between an instant and some arbitrary wait time is the inconvenience of it. This isn't EVE, having the ability to warp around ships instantly isn't going to make any kind of difference except in people's ability to enjoy the game by not wasting time dragging their FDL or whatever across the bubble 7ly a jump.

tldr; There's nothing else that one has to wait for in ED, adding a ship move timer is just adding a pointless annoyance.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I saw something in these posts about ship kits for the Vulture? I didn't see them in the store so I guess it's not out yet, but drat I wanted to bling out my chromed Vulture. Also, has/did anyone else snap up the "lifetime season pass" last year? I did, I'm loving pumped. Who else is pumped?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

I saw something in these posts about ship kits for the Vulture? I didn't see them in the store so I guess it's not out yet, but drat I wanted to bling out my chromed Vulture. Also, has/did anyone else snap up the "lifetime season pass" last year? I did, I'm loving pumped. Who else is pumped?

I like to think of myself as moderately enthused.

Except for that vulture ricer kit. I want that ASAP then I'm going to cram an SRV into it and go planetside and play with geysers.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

When you get to Newholm, sell the exploration data for a bit of influence, then reset the mission board (or fly to CEOs) and grab missions which ask you to transport something (usually biowaste) to a system in the bubble, ~400+ly away. Grab the ones that have you move about a dozen things for 5-6M credits, then fill up your hold with them. Fly the missions back to the bubble and cash in! Should be able to make ~25-40M per run which take about an hour round trip with board scumming.
Holy moly have times changed. Thanks!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Trustworthy posted:

No, I'm pretty sure we all agree that the rep grind for the big ships is kind of terrible. You just decided to pick a weird hill to die on.

Personally, I was a little surprised that ship transfer is instantaneous, but while I'm fine with it, I also would not be shocked to see that changed by the time the beta rolls around.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I too was surprised. I wanted you to have to deconstruct your ship (at both a monetary and time cost), then have to make a contract for a player to ship the ship parts to the station you want, then you'd have to wait for the ship to get there and pay a fee to put it back together while you wait for that to be done. Oh and if the person transporting your ship died on route then you lose the ship and they get hit with a massive insurance cost.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I too was surprised. I wanted you to have to deconstruct your ship (at both a monetary and time cost), then have to make a contract for a player to ship the ship parts to the station you want, then you'd have to wait for the ship to get there and pay a fee to put it back together while you wait for that to be done. Oh and if the person transporting your ship died on route then you lose the ship and they get hit with a massive insurance cost.

Don't forget the ship reconstruction mini game where if you fail you lose that equipment permanently.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm hype as heck about 2.2 and beyond and I've got the itch to get back into this.

I haven't done any Horizons/Engineers stuff so far and I'd like to blow my ill-gotten Robigobucks on a nice shiny do-everything Cutter to do them in and also to shoot things in.

This is as far as I've gotten with a build but it's not quite there yet. The two main things I'm struggling with are the weapon loadout and the power, though I know one of the first engineers can do a +power mod.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sorry but that's a really bad idea and would only make people play Elite less than they do now. Just handwave it away with some bullshit about ship ownership license swapping to a yard in the current station if it makes you feel better.
Im really glad you don't work on the dev team holy poo poo.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 21, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

Sorry but that's a really bad idea and would only make people play Elite less than they do now. Just handwave it away with some bullshit about ship ownership license swapping to a yard in the current station if it makes you feel better.

nice meltdown

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

nice meltdown

:bandwagon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trustworthy posted:

Nice meltdown :grin:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
How do i get Modified Embedded Firmware as a solo player near/in Wolf 397?

I cant break into high sec settlements, and after refreshing the mission board in that one station here for over an hour im beginning to doubt it is available as mission reward at all.
I really only need 1 (more would be nice) for a single roll on Blasters T5 multicannon table....

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Are the servers having one of their episodes? I've been logging in for ten minutes now.

Edit: got in eventually, though every step of the process took ages.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 21, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How do i get Modified Embedded Firmware as a solo player near/in Wolf 397?

I cant break into high sec settlements, and after refreshing the mission board in that one station here for over an hour im beginning to doubt it is available as mission reward at all.
I really only need 1 (more would be nice) for a single roll on Blasters T5 multicannon table....

I got it as mission reward, so the RNG just hates you.

Edit:

Have you tried searching for degraded emission sites? They're USSs with data points you can scan. Bonus: If you actually get Modified Embedded Firmware this way, you'll get three at once, like with collecting it from planets.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I got it as mission reward, so the RNG just hates you.

Edit:

Have you tried searching for degraded emission sites? They're USSs with data points you can scan. Bonus: If you actually get Modified Embedded Firmware this way, you'll get three at once, like with collecting it from planets.

according to the internets theyre only from high sec stations, +++mediums and missions, nothing else.
Cant tell if thats accurate though.

Is it possible that you dont get them as reward in systems where the engineer that wants them is located?
I mean i get other stuff he can use, but this is for the T5 so maybe its different...

e: or does the type of system determine the available mission rewards?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

according to the internets theyre only from high sec stations, +++mediums and missions, nothing else.
Cant tell if thats accurate though.

Is it possible that you dont get them as reward in systems where the engineer that wants them is located?
I mean i get other stuff he can use, but this is for the T5 so maybe its different...

e: or does the type of system determine the available mission rewards?

Economy type of a station is supposed to slightly alter the mission rewards, you'll get rare metals like Polonium or Selenium more often on Refinery stations, for example.

And I definitely got a lot of random firmware by scanning data points floating in space, so the Information Superhighway is slightly wrong in that regard. I think.

So nope, it sounds like the RNG is just laughing about your feeble attempts at getting what you want.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2 hours of resetting, not a single Embedded Firmware as reward.

Am i missing something?
Do they come exactly as "Modified Embedded Firmware" or are they contained in a scan data pack or anything?
Ive seen all other kinds of softwares, but not the one Blaster wants...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Am i missing something?
Do they come exactly as "Modified Embedded Firmware" or are they contained in a scan data pack or anything?

No idea! :shrug:

I'm fairly sure I got Modified Embedded Firmware by scanning something inside a degraded emission source, but the dumb thing about this is: Even if I were back in the bubble instead of thousands of light years away and even if I had the time to fly around and test this, the RNG could just refuse to give it to me for some reason. (I had this case with some random crap which was supposed to drop from destroyed haulers. I spend hours trying to blast low-tier hauler ships apart to get this common drop, but instead everything else under the sun dropped, including the rarer stuff. It was infuriating. In the end I had to do some missions to get the stuff.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Am i missing something?

Pretty sure the one's you are looking for only come from surface sites (where there is a data tower thing that you scan) or as mission rewards. System type/state apparently doesn't matter: http://inara.cz/galaxy-component/62

Board scumming is probably the fastest way, but maybe some dune-buggying would help find some and break up the monotony?

I've been trying to grind out Proto Light/Radiolic Alloys and finally figured out they only spawn in Boom-state systems. Also figured out that High Grade Emissions only spawn in "Deep Space" when you are more or less out of the system and shipping lanes. Finally started finding them, though! :eng101:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
No, no chance for buggfy poo poo i hate that crapfuck with a passion.
I signed up for spaceships not flying gocarts.

Guess im back to grinding mission boards then.
Really well thought out mechanic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

No, no chance for buggfy poo poo i hate that crapfuck with a passion.
I signed up for spaceships not flying gocarts.

Guess im back to grinding mission boards then.
Really well thought out mechanic.

You could try some degraded emission sources, I definitely got some firmware from them. But ha ha, with "very rare" it'll probably still be faster to grind mission boards. :v:

On the other hand, I got the ultra rare Datamined Wake Emissisons on my second try one day, so sometimes you're just lucky. Since searching for degraded emission sources will let you fly your space ship, you should go for it to break up the tediousness.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
You're gonna need to raid high sec settlements to get those modified embedded firmwares with any degree of sanity.

Sorry you don't like the buggy, but honestly raiding those surface settlements is the one thing in the game that feels most like a complete gameplay loop imo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

You're gonna need to raid high sec settlements to get those modified embedded firmwares with any degree of sanity.

Sorry you don't like the buggy, but honestly raiding those surface settlements is the one thing in the game that feels most like a complete gameplay loop imo.

Its not that i didnt try, but tumbling around in 0.18G over rocks trying to scan 6 columns under tzime pressure just didnt work out for me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone bitching about relieving tedium in this game should just go ahead and nail their genitals to a block of wood.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its not that i didnt try, but tumbling around in 0.18G over rocks trying to scan 6 columns under tzime pressure just didnt work out for me.

Just slow down.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
LOL

Just saw a mission for 1 unit of Embedded Firmware, but they dont like me enough to let me bring water to their people.

gently caress this game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

Just slow down.

Cant slow down if you have a 60 seconds timeframe each pylon.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Yolomon Wayne posted:

LOL

Just saw a mission for 1 unit of Embedded Firmware, but they dont like me enough to let me bring water to their people.

gently caress this game.

Welp time to improve some faction relations so next time they'll be willing to hire you. Didn't you watch the Braben culture video, it's all very very immersive

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nice meltdown(s) :grin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cant slow down if you have a 60 seconds timeframe each pylon.

This is a dumb derail but yeah you can. I've done like 15 of these things across all of the possible layouts and there is always a reliable way to get them all with lots of time leftover if you plan your route out and are patient. That same low gravity lets you take crazy short cuts from the ground to the roofs of buildings and between buildings. Also, frequently you can use your turret to scan beacons through walls or way up above you without actually getting up to it in the first place.

The only layout where the beacons are really far apart is the one where the settlement is a huge open field of those giant radio dishes. But in that one the terrain is flat, obstacles are far apart, and I think they give you a lot more time for each beacon.

Actually, funny thing which might help you out is yesterday I stumbled on a weird glitch with the blue beacons that give you a core data package for lots of credits. If you scan the blue beacon for the first time while your countdown is active for the orange beacons, it cancels your countdown but doesn't cancel the orange beacons you've already scanned. Therefore you have infinite time to get to the next orange beacon which will start a new timer when you scan it but won't require you to rescan the beacons you already got. I have no idea if this is really a glitch or somehow a weird feature that Frontier intentionally put in.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Holy shitballs, that is amazing! O_O

Instant transfer (and with these prices) is a little cheesy..but I'll take it!
For reals! I expected that they'd do this eventually except it would take a long time to transfer the ship. The even better news is that this also gives us "equipment storage lockers" that can instantly be beckoned to where ever we are. I've yet to find a convenient one-stop-shop that has every piece of equipment I could possibly want to fit on any one of my ships, and ed-td's Find Outfitting is often incorrect so I am always going around looking for a 6A Fuel Scoop or a place that sells the right size prospector limpets AND collector limpets that I want, and where did I get those gimbled large multicannons that one time? I can just put those items on a spare ship and swap them in using a sell/buyback swap. I can do that now, but I have to actually go to where my storage ship is, which makes it not even worth doing.

Also for doing CG events with my 15LY-jumpin' Vulture without having to do a 38 jump trip, stopping every 2-3 stars to scoop. I'd much rather travel in comfort on the 49LY-jumping Asp that can also fuel scoop without all the electronics catching fire every 10 seconds.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 21, 2016

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm getting back into E:D after a hiatus of a few months...I'm still in my lil Cobra mkIII and apparently Big Harry's is gone? I'm in Dupane city or some such poo poo? wtf happened that I need to know about??? Where do I go? I have my ship still rigged for bounty hunting/asteroid field fighting.

What's good for cash nowadays that isn't boring as poo poo?

tia

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I am hard at work preparing a comprehensive guide for engineers, and it DOES in fact include a section on how to get the elusive Modified Embedded Firmwares. The Tadpoles Uplifting Engineering Primer will be available soon.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I am hard at work preparing a comprehensive guide for engineers, and it DOES in fact include a section on how to get the elusive Modified Embedded Firmwares. The Tadpoles Uplifting Engineering Primer will be available soon.

thank goodness. i haven't played since february and have no idea where to begin with engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Dreadwroth posted:

This guy gets it. :ccp:

• Locked thread