Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was just one photo - maybe your eyes slid over it thinking it was an ad?

Anyone have that picture of muslim beach volleyball players wearing potato sacks at the Olympics?

The women in beach volleyball choose what to wear. Our players didn't even wear bikinis when it was cold. When they wore bikinis, they chose to wear bikinis.

This article is basically calling them sluts for wanting to wear bikinis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Quantum Finger posted:

like have you ever tried to hold yourself perfectly immobile upside down in the water with your legs sticking out? don't do it cuz you'll drown

Yeah, every kid in the world has when they go "Hey mom, watch me do a handstand!".

Also, drowning is generally offset once you've mastered the "hold your breath" technique.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was just one photo - maybe your eyes slid over it thinking it was an ad?

at best, these stupid articles regurgitate the same points made by everyone else. at worst, they're actively advocating regressive policies via their warped view of social justice. thanks for screencapping this point in two paragraphs so i don't have to read the actual article

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Anyone have that picture of muslim beach volleyball players wearing potato sacks at the Olympics?

The women in beach volleyball choose what to wear. Our players didn't even wear bikinis when it was cold. When they wore bikinis, they chose to wear bikinis.

This article is basically calling them sluts for wanting to wear bikinis.

I'm pretty sure it's the national federation who chooses what they wear, you think athletes have any say over their kits?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

at best, these stupid articles regurgitate the same points made by everyone else. at worst, they're actively advocating regressive policies via their warped view of social justice. thanks for screencapping this point in two paragraphs so i don't have to read the actual article

On further reflection, I think the article also provides an excellent argument that the Olympics should be made more authentic to the ancient games and played entirely in the nude. :getin:

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo, today's the last day? how fast time goes by

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

It's only the beginning of the fallout for the residents of Rio. I think this thread will live on for a long time as the news of Rio's grinding descent into oblivion comes out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the paralympics fallout edition

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I realized lots of volunteers came from abroad. It must have been one expensive and lovely holiday, enjoy your diarrhea.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kurtofan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the national federation who chooses what they wear, you think athletes have any say over their kits?

Yeah, the athletes can choose. That's why all the teams' clothing varies by the weather. If it's too cold or rainy, they'll wear sleeves or long pants.

It's almost too crazy to believe but they've actually had to defend why they want to wear bikinis in a beach game.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kerri-walsh-jennings-shuts-down-beach-volleyball-bikini-critics_us_5727bf4ae4b016f378933897
http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/Olympics-Beach-volleyball-bikinis-raise-issues-at-2012-Summer-Games-in-London-041212

quote:

In a Sports Illustrated podcast earlier this week, Walsh said: “I’ve played in a bikini for a very specific reason and it’s that it’s most comfortable. I’ve worked really hard with Oakley to get a really good suit that I’m not worried about wardrobe malfunctions, and it’s really sporty.”

quote:

"It's something I feel empowered by, not distracted with,” Walsh added. “I'm not a sex symbol; I'm an athlete. I want to be streamlined out there."

quote:

“The original way to play beach volleyball was in a bikini and board shorts, and I don’t know what else they want us to wear,” Walsh Jennings told The Huffington Post over the phone.

“When it comes to beach volleyball, we’re playing in 100-degree-plus weather,” the 37-year-old said. “I think we’ve just gotta educate the public, take it with a grain of salt and make sure that we’re working hard and not playing up the sex appeal because it’s inherent anyway.”

pr0spector88
Aug 18, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, every kid in the world has when they go "Hey mom, watch me do a handstand!".

Also, drowning is generally offset once you've mastered the "hold your breath" technique.

try getting held under the water by large force and holding ur breath then. see if u dont drown

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pr0spector88 posted:

try getting held under the water by large force and holding ur breath then. see if u dont drown

Is "large force" some sort of anime thing?

pr0spector88
Aug 18, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need to go autist nerd 4 u?

2 vs 1 3v1 jeez

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lucky marathonians get all the water

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah, the athletes can choose. That's why all the teams' clothing varies by the weather. If it's too cold or rainy, they'll wear sleeves or long pants.

It's almost too crazy to believe but they've actually had to defend why they want to wear bikinis in a beach game.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kerri-walsh-jennings-shuts-down-beach-volleyball-bikini-critics_us_5727bf4ae4b016f378933897
http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/Olympics-Beach-volleyball-bikinis-raise-issues-at-2012-Summer-Games-in-London-041212

friend of mine's involved in the canadian national volleyball program and regularly hears how some concerned group of citizens tries to ban booty shorts at the high school/college level and it's always met with a brick wall by the players themselves

this likely comes as no surprise to anyone who's known private school girls and their daily battle with skirt length regs

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Viruswithshoes posted:

It's only the beginning of the fallout for the residents of Rio. I think this thread will live on for a long time as the news of Rio's grinding descent into oblivion comes out.

Not to mention once all the athletes return home they can freely divulge what the conditions were like without fear of being removed from an airplane and held in police custody until they 'donate to a charity'.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

"I've got the body of a goddess, what the gently caress else do you want me to wear?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
it's funny because all of them seem to ignore rhythm gymnastics/ballet, where it actually is a problem and you have a high chance of losing if you don't wear a tight and flashy uniform for the traditionalist judges

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
My favorite part of the article was the last line "It’s too bad she had to look like a tip-hungry server at Caesar’s Palace." We don't want our athletes looking like some low-dollar waitress whores! They can gently caress right off...back to their crushing poverty?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

how long is the marathon?

asking on behalf of the Olympic organisers because they had to add an extra bit on the end because the course was initially too short

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The gymnasts wear leotards covered in crystals like ballet dancers with a terminal vajazzle infection, not shameless bikinis larger than the everyday beach goers'.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vakal posted:

I wasn't aware that anyone in Canada even knew how to play soccer.

The women beat Brazil for Bronze

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lol if you care if she finishes

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I am at work and walked into a residents room. Something was happening at a wrestling event? There was a guy stripping to his underwear and playing to the crowd while the british announcers yelled at him and asked for decency. What the gently caress did I watch??

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Why did they shoot the jaguar?

:(

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It wouldn't pay up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It went a bit off its rocker when they had it run/walk next to the Olympic flame.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gengis Khan't

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

At last our long nightmare is over except for a bumper crop of drooling Zika babies

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am at work and walked into a residents room. Something was happening at a wrestling event? There was a guy stripping to his underwear and playing to the crowd while the british announcers yelled at him and asked for decency. What the gently caress did I watch??

WWE audition.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
nice

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Gengis Khan't

I am confused did the underwear man win or lose

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am confused did the underwear man win or lose

does that help

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hhaha.. that was the coach

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Dogcentre and dickmachine2009?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
It doesn't really answer the question, but yes, it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mensah you beautiful bastard! Tear those Frenchmen down a peg!

• Locked thread