Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Huh, I thought he did the art in Robo? Anyways it wasn't just recolors, I was pretty sure he did some sprite editing to to get characters to look the way he wanted them to, and not just deleting six pixels to make Black Mage look happy either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

greatn posted:

But according to Wikipedia it has been compared to James Joyce Ulysses!

I can compare a glass of water to Ulysses but that won't make it a meaningful comparison

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Shugojin posted:

I can compare a glass of water to Ulysses but that won't make it a meaningful comparison

the comparison was to illustrate what effort justification was, i.e. "i put so much work in to trying to understand this, it must have be good otherwise what have i done with my life"
it was actually a stealth diss, imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Homestuck was good when it was Andrew "Humanimals" Hussie writing it. At some point, things changed, and it started being written by Andrew "crushed under the weight of ten million unpleasable teenagers" Hussie. I personally thought it was pretty good all the way through Act 5, but I've heard people say it lost its spark as early as the end of act 2.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Homestuck was good when it was Andrew "Humanimals" Hussie writing it. At some point, things changed, and it started being written by Andrew "crushed under the weight of ten million unpleasable teenagers" Hussie. I personally thought it was pretty good all the way through Act 5, but I've heard people say it lost its spark as early as the end of act 2.

He got Toby Fox the exposure to make undertale which didn't overstay its welcome the same way.

Guy had a story to tell and told it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Well a stream of consciousness book, a stream of water out of the glass, Odysseus sailing on water. It's at least some level of truth-ism.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Poison Mushroom posted:

Was Act 5 the one that was written entirely in l33tspeak? Because that wasn't good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

WickedHate posted:

But Homestuck isn't good.

First of all how dare you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Was Act 5 the one that was written entirely in l33tspeak? Because that wasn't good.
The first half had the trolls, but it wound it back into the oh my god I'm one of those people. :negative:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

speak of the devil and he shall appear

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The longer it gets from the end of it, the more I realize Homestuck was in dire need of an editor.

But I still like it. He knew how to cut together a good flash animation and the final animation was pretty, if still not wholly satisfying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Huh, I thought he did the art in Robo? Anyways it wasn't just recolors, I was pretty sure he did some sprite editing to to get characters to look the way he wanted them to, and not just deleting six pixels to make Black Mage look happy either.

He definitely does not draw Robo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ikanreed posted:

He got Toby Fox the exposure to make undertale which didn't overstay its welcome the same way.

Guy had a story to tell and told it.

Could sprite games be the successor the the sprite comic??

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm pretty sure general consensus is that it started getting worse when the trolls showed up and continued getting worse at an exponential rate. Where it got to the point of being unreadable is up to you. I think I ended up sticking around until the beginning of Act 7 due to inertia, at which point I thought to myself "This hasn't been any good in a while now, why the hell am I still reading it?"

It was, however, excellent when it was still made with sprites, so I guess it falls into the category of "Good Sprite Comics."

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure general consensus is that it started getting worse when the trolls showed up and continued getting worse at an exponential rate. Where it got to the point of being unreadable is up to you. I think I ended up sticking around until the beginning of Act 7 due to inertia, at which point I thought to myself "This hasn't been any good in a while now, why the hell am I still reading it?"

It was, however, excellent when it was still made with sprites, so I guess it falls into the category of "Good Sprite Comics."

I read the whole thing pretty much due to sunk cost fallacy.

I should not have read the whole thing, it got really lovely.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Schwarzwald posted:

Could sprite games be the successor the the sprite comic??

have you missed the indie "retro game" fad of two or three years ago

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm surprised nobody brought up the various Ultima Online comics that were essentially screenshots of the game engine. There were two I liked out of all of them

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Gamerofthegame posted:

have you missed the indie "retro game" fad of two or three years ago

:thejoke:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gee, I sure hope Rich isn't a Homestuck. :ohdear:

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
I hope that Rich is feeling better than Hitler right now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I hope Homestuck guy cuts his hand and can't make anymore for months.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
For how long was Rich out of commission

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cliff Racer posted:

Lengthy hiatuses for Homestuck? Yeah right.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Cliff Racer posted:

You're in luck, no word from Hussie in about two months since the last post on his site.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't Homestuck end?

I thought it ended.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It ended. Badly, is the consensus.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Calaveron posted:

For how long was Rich out of commission

Close to half a year? Not sure anymore, but it was long.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hussie basically already had that happen when he did a kickstarter to make a Homestuck game then spent half a year trying to coordinate with the small developer who'd agreed to help him make it before realizing they weren't actually working on it and were just taking his money while actually working on that King's Quest revival. Then he spent another half year trying to finish the end of the comic all in one go and it came out a half-baked mess.

One thing I will credit Rich for, he's taken a certain "slow and steady wins the race" approach to his now-over-a-decade-old story. Even his kickstarter, which was also a case of runaway success coupled with unforeseen problems, still seems manageable and under control despite being a tall order. It was funny in the latest update when Elan made a winking reference to how when the comic started it seemed like it could be a simple gag-a-day webcomic about dungeon-crawling adventurers but ended up exploding in size and scope very quickly. Not every such ambitious fantasy project actually manages to get this far without short-circuiting a few things or completely meandering off track. There's places where it dragged but the finished product looks like it might be reasonably paced.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

It ended. Badly, is the consensus.

It died as it lived.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Mylan posted:

It died as it lived.

There was a string of massive text updates with the trolls trollin' folks in leet speak some time in 2010. It was all in that super painful to read colored text. I decided that I wasn't going to put my eyes and brain through that garbage, but had planned to go back at some point after a bit of content build up. I'm glad I never went back.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grogquock posted:

There was a string of massive text updates with the trolls trollin' folks in leet speak some time in 2010. It was all in that super painful to read colored text. I decided that I wasn't going to put my eyes and brain through that garbage, but had planned to go back at some point after a bit of content build up. I'm glad I never went back.

Dude you missed out. They added twice the size of trolls with more colors and leet speak. Also an alcoholic child. And a green dude but I forget what his gimmick of speech was.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Shwqa posted:

And a green dude but I forget what his gimmick of speech was.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Y'all do know we have a Homestuck thread right here in BSS, right?

That said, Homestuck was like a gas station donut, objectively bad but I enjoyed the whole thing anyway.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Reading all caps was a really hard bit of effort to put forth for some people, I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Reading all caps was a really hard bit of effort to put forth for some people, I guess.

i've never read homestuck but that image has neon green text on white background which is hella hard to look at

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malpais Legate posted:

OnE oF tHe ChArAcTeRs LiTeRaLlY sPoKe In AlTeRnAtInG cApS jUsT lIkE tHiS eXcEpT aLsO iT wAs InDiGo

Another character spoke in white text. On a white background.

The dialogue quirks were tolerable when it was just minor characters occasionally talking to the main cast, but when the trolls became the main characters it was pretty awful.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Abyssal Squid posted:

OnE oF tHe ChArAcTeRs LiTeRaLlY sPoKe In AlTeRnAtInG cApS jUsT lIkE tHiS eXcEpT aLsO iT wAs InDiGo

Another character spoke in white text. On a white background.

The dialogue quirks were tolerable when it was just minor characters occasionally talking to the main cast, but when the trolls became the main characters it was pretty awful.

:thejoke:

Of all the things you can complain about with the foreverlong webcomic with horrible pacing issues and a significant amount of self-referential humor, the text is like the least heinous thing about it. Reading green text or alternating caps isn't difficult, poo poo like Gunnerkrigg Court uses more garish fonts and

here we are bitching about Homestuck in the Order of the Stick thread so I'll stop there

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

how long until the order's ride explodes, do you think
i'm giving it before the halfway point of this book

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Unless the names "helium" and "hydrogen" have been swapped around in the OOTS universe, there's no reason for the airship to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Unless the names "helium" and "hydrogen" have been swapped around in the OOTS universe, there's no reason for the airship to explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYLTnI7TUI&t=18s