Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
battlelog was good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You only get the e-mail if you didn't specify which platform you wanted the beta on.

I signed up for insider back in June and then again here a few weeks ago when I went to the site and it had the same e-mail box but with a "select your platform" set of radio buttons below. So I guess I've signed up twice now? I meant I didn't get an invite to the alpha that everyone here played a while back.

Eonwe posted:

At one point, I started saving all of the battlelog_update_251_351242_1324.exe files in their own folder just to see how many times I updated that plugin. Also loved seeing "something went wrong" for nearly a year after the release of BF4. You're right. My mistake. Battlelog was so good that EA isn't gonna scrap it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

In theory I didn't mind Battlelog after I got a better connection. I just really hated the overlaps its in server filter settings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Remove all HUD and map functions of any sort, randomly assign roles, and have each map have a series of arbitrary capture points it cycles between. Never tell anyone where they are, or indeed who holds them or if they are actually in the process of being captured.

After a round is over, assign a random number of points to each player and tell everyone they lost.

There, now they have the authentic WW1 experience.

The authentic WWI experience is sitting in a trench for about an hour while you shell the enemy trench. Then you all get up at once and charge over no man's land with a scopeless bolt action rifle. Everyone gets mowed down by machine guns.

Then the enemy futilely shells your trench for an hour and runs at you until they've all been mowed down by your machine guns. The round ends, neither team wins, erich maria remarque writes all quiet on the western front, and the world is plunged into the grim reality of the modernist era

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The announcer should have the voice of some old timey radio reporter.

get Indy Neidell

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Digirat posted:

The authentic WWI experience is sitting in a trench for about an hour while you shell the enemy trench. Then you all get up at once and charge over no man's land with a scopeless bolt action rifle. Everyone gets mowed down by machine guns.

Then the enemy futilely shells your trench for an hour and runs at you until they've all been mowed down by your machine guns. The round ends, neither team wins, erich maria remarque writes all quiet on the western front, and the world is plunged into the grim reality of the modernist era

Hey, it's a cliche that all WWI combat was pointless trench duels.

There was a whole range of completely pointless conflicts. On field, in air, on sea. In the deserts and the mountains. People died for dumbfuck reasons accomplishing nothing at all all over the world in all sorts of ways.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Digirat posted:

Also the end-game is completely imbalanced because the Allies invented tanks, and Germans had no weapons to counter them. Game over, this is bullshit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

At one point, I started saving all of the battlelog_update_251_351242_1324.exe files in their own folder just to see how many times I updated that plugin.

updates? egads, what a horrid service

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Yeah I am really hoping we get Battlelog as is with a addition of a in game server browser. I think that would make everyone happy. I guess other people don't but I used the poo poo out of Battlelog, from tracking unlocks to redoing load outs. Hell the ability to just log in see who is playing and what they are playing without loading origin or the game is great. It was also a vastly easier way to set camo on your guns and vehicle since if you liked you could just copy it across all and then make any tiny changes you feel like. I even user the battlescreen till it got axed by dice la. I understand though that I average 1500-3000 hours per battlefield games so I am not probably the metric for average usage.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The "best" preattack bombardments actually lasted days:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Battlefield 1 launcher is an unskippable twelve-hour quick-time event of you pressing a random key to continue sitting in a trench while artillery rains down at maximum volume. If you miss a key, or press the wrong key, an artillery round lands on you. If you turn the volume down, you get sent to a mental institution for shell-shock. Once you finally do get to spawn, you get caught in the throat by a machine gun round as soon as you go over the top, and the score screen comes up.

If you're American, your next paycheck is also delayed until 2043.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Double Bill posted:

Also the end-game is completely imbalanced because the Allies invented tanks, and Germans had no weapons to counter them. Game over, this is bullshit.

The Germans were plenty good at countering tanks. Now the Bulgarians...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dead Like Rev posted:

BC2 goons putting C4 on chopper tail rotors and waiting for them to take off. TOOT TOOT PUB BUS TAKING OFF... Nope. DEATH SPIRAL.

Don't forget all the times we loaded up ATVs with C4 and mines and launched them outside of the map.

And the only medic defib/engineer repair tool rounds. Good times.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodplay it again posted:

I signed up for insider back in June and then again here a few weeks ago when I went to the site and it had the same e-mail box but with a "select your platform" set of radio buttons below. So I guess I've signed up twice now? I meant I didn't get an invite to the alpha that everyone here played a while back.

At one point, I started saving all of the battlelog_update_251_351242_1324.exe files in their own folder just to see how many times I updated that plugin. Also loved seeing "something went wrong" for nearly a year after the release of BF4. You're right. My mistake. Battlelog was so good that EA isn't gonna scrap it.

its ok to be wrong, glad you could admit it

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Don't forget all the times we loaded up ATVs with C4 and mines and launched them outside of the map.

And the only medic defib/engineer repair tool rounds. Good times.

Wild west rounds? Revolver shotgun only baby.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dead Like Rev posted:

Smoke grenade only was also very good. Even the pubbies would join in. Rip WookWook.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bad company 2 and 2142 were my best battlefield experiences

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the av sniper in 2142 was so drat cool and so was ramming mechs with transports

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The LMGs were also the best the series has had.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eonwe posted:

bad company 2 and 2142 were my best battlefield experiences

Shooting down helicopters with the AT4 from across the map was the best Battlefield experience I've had.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Best was being able to slap C4 on teammates in BF2 and turning them into immortal suicide bombers.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
kill dudes with a sword on a horse looks cool but i guess your guy can't swing the sword on both sides of the horse cmon man

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

BBJoey posted:

updates? egads, what a horrid service

Definitely the biggest issue I posted. :rolleyes: How about :

You had to create a separate account, couldn't just use your Origin login. No way to change graphics settings without joining a game. Wanna join a friend's game when you're already playing? Tough poo poo. Kill the process and start over. The latency field was blank for nearly two years until the 300th update finally enabled it. It only worked with 32-bit browsers, which means all of those Chrome and Firefox memory leaks get to build up in the background as the browser refreshes while playing. "Battlelog is currently closed. Please try again later." meant no playing, even single player.

Battlelog would have been fine if loadouts and the poo poo social networking aspects were separate from the server browser, and the depth of statistics are great, but its server browser was mediocre at best. I don't understand why they'd scrap it if it worked well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ingame server browser is definitely the way to go, even with my short experience with it I hated having the entire game instance being tied to the server you were currently in, forcing you to adjust settings or practice in an empty server and massively increasing load times by having to reload the game anytime you changed servers

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Digirat posted:

massively increasing load times by having to reload the game anytime you changed servers

I just alt-tab out, join a server. Don't have to quit the game. And I never use it, but isn't there a version of Battlelog built in? Backspace key to open it by default.

You can even queue ingame with it. If I wanted to get an a server with my friend but there was a ten person queue, I could open a TDM match, then start queuing. When a slot opened in the server, I would be pulled out of my TDM game straight onto the new server. Even if I was in action.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 22, 2016

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
The first rush gameplay has hit the internet... and of course they guy playing is super terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bstijdaKPY

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus, that's Polygon playing Doom levels of bad.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Bob Wins posted:

... and of course they guy playing is super terrible.

Wow. LOL. Although, to be honest, I think I would be just as bad if someone handed me a controller to play with.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Bob Wins posted:

The first rush gameplay has hit the internet... and of course they guy playing is super terrible.

So loving bad. It was like in the beta for Hardline and we found that guy who was all "I was in the crowd and thought it would be neat to try! I've never played an FPS game before!" and we proceeded to taser only him for the next 2 rounds. On the other note, Rush may work very well in this?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bob Wins posted:

The map looks good from what you can see from the idiot playing it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bob Wins posted:

I like how one of the very first things we see is a sniper lying on a hill being useless. Now that's the proper battlefield experience!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

I like how one of the very first things we see is a sniper lying on a hill being useless. Now that's the proper battlefield experience!

i miss wookie hill

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Wow. LOL. Although, to be honest, I think I would be just as bad if someone handed me a controller to play with.

nah, its really not that hard if you have ever played a videogame before.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bob Wins posted:

Either this guy is being told to strictly get good views of the scenery and art pieces or the Polygon Doom guy found more work.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

EA took the video down to spare us all of what humanity's hubris brought us.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Dead Like Rev posted:

Flood zone explosives only owned hard. What was it 2 maybe 3 minutes before we had the entire rooftops area leveled like a parking lot. I was kind of surprised how much poo poo you could blow up on that one. Knife only matches made us all realize how broken knifing was lol. Theme nights were fun on our server. Hip fire only m60 in the jungle, flashbang launcher only for the amusement of it bouncing back and head shotting yourself. Hell we get a proper lever action in this one for western themes.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
https://www.funker530.com/actual-combat-footage/

This is gonna be us in a few months, lads

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I sure hope War Tapes sounds this good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

And we've got Premiums.
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/battlefield-1/pc-download/addon/battlefield-1-premium-pass

Lol if you preorder when the first one doesn't even drop until March.
(i'm strongly considering preordering)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Deakul posted:

And we've got Premiums.
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/battlefield-1/pc-download/addon/battlefield-1-premium-pass

Lol if you preorder when the first one doesn't even drop until March.
(i'm strongly considering preordering)

Premium for bf4 was probably the best season pass i can think of for a modern game.

• Locked thread