Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I pay my balances a few days after the statements close, so roughly around the 3-5th of the month. Credit score has been going up up up doing this. Not making any other intermittent payments during the month either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

yamdankee posted:

So I'm signing up for Vanguard and it's telling me I have to pay taxes on the 16k rollover because it's going from a traditional IRA to Roth. What do I do?

I just want to make sure that you understand the terminology correctly. The first thing is the type of account:

IRAs are entirely up to the individual, and you can contribute up to $5,500 per tax year:
1. Roth IRA - contributions are made with taxed dollars and withdrawn tax-free.
2. Traditional IRA - contributions are made with pre-tax dollars and taxed on withdrawl

401ks are through your employer, and you can contribute up to $18,000 in elective deferrals per tax year - your employer contributions do not count towards this limit:
The employer selects the provider and a selection of funds. Otherwise functions similar to a Traditional IRA.

All accounts are administered by someone/something - the provider. This could be Fidelity, TRP, Vanguard, etc. So when you're signing up for Vanguard, you also need to select which accounts to open or hold. For instance, I have a Roth IRA through Vanguard. I also have a Traditional IRA through Vanguard. Lastly, I have a taxed brokerage account through Vanguard where I hold non tax advantaged money. These are separate accounts within Vanguard. I also have a 401k through my employer that is through Fidelity. If I moved to a new employer, I would have to roll my 401k in to a) the new employer's 401k or b) an IRA. I would roll to a Traditional IRA to avoid paying taxes on the rollover.

It appears that you have selected to set up a Roth IRA rather than a Traditional IRA. If you select a Traditional IRA, you won't be taxed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

yamdankee posted:

Also, should I put the $8,988.16 (at this moment) from Etrade into this? Or start a Vanguard? Or cash it in for a fence? Put a turbo in my car? (Joking)
Your eTrade stocks aren't in any sort of retirement bucket right now, are they (401k or IRA)? If not, just cash them out to your bank and use the money to max out your IRA/401k match contributions or other savings. It seems like you probably need to get together a bit more of a plan for what you're saving for and how much you need. It's fine to have a regular taxable investment account on top of your retirement accounts (I have a taxable investment account with Vanguard) but generally it takes a while to get to that point where your money is better off there than in other retirement savings buckets that can save you more in taxes. Even if you just switch these funds from eTrade to Vanguard and invest in the same stuff, you'll likely be paying less in fees.

Read that If You Can pdf, it's a great way to get started on what your priorities should be and will hopefully clear up some of your misconceptions: http://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

As for credit cards, I have the Chase Freedom and Amex Blue Cash but it will depend on what you normally spend money on as to which card is best for you. The only annual fee credit card I have is the Alaska Airlines visa because it has that companion fare and I make that money back with my yearly trip to visit family. I would recommend an airline credit card if you use one airline regularly. Definitely have more than one card with different companies (and make sure there's no fee!) just in case you get one credit line shut down for whatever reason and to build your credit over time. Even if you cut the cards up or put them in a freezer, it's worth it to have 2-3 credit cards on your history imo.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

yamdankee posted:

3) Never buy a pool. (I'm happy with that.) And get the fence when we can safely buy it in full.

For what it's worth, where I live you're required to have a fully fenced in yard or enclosure if you have a pool, for liability reasons (as in, neighborhood kids don't wander into your backyard to play in it because it's easily accessible, and then drown being dummies). So the fence would have to come first if your locality is similar.

And THEN you can make the proper decision to never buy a pool.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

yamdankee posted:

So I'm signing up for Vanguard and it's telling me I have to pay taxes on the 16k rollover because it's going from a traditional IRA to Roth. What do I do?
Oh, I think this is a misunderstanding because someone told you to start a Roth IRA. When you do your retirement account rollover to an IRA, you can make it a traditional one so you don't have to pay the taxes. If you want, you can also open a separate IRA from your rollover one. This can be Roth or traditional but generally we recommend going Roth if you're young and in a low tax bracket.

gregday
May 23, 2003

After paying down all my CC debt, my Equifax FICO 8 is now at 770, the highest score I've ever had. No plans to take on any new debt, but it's nice to be prepared. And I have about 3 hard pulls falling off my report in a few months.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Quick question:

My wife and I have a car loan for right at $5k and an interest rate of 1.79%. There is about a year and a half on the loan and payments are $298 per month with (as of last month) $7.80 of that being interest. The car is conservatively worth $16k and this is our only outstanding debt.

We have a large emergency fund ($33k in cash) and are cash flow positive $1-2k per month after automatic retirement investments. We will likely be looking at buying a house in the next five years or so.

Should we pay off the loan early or instead use that money to open a non-retirement vanguard index fund? The first saves us about $68 in interest but we lose potential investment returns and the credit score boost. But the interest is so drat low and there's no guarantee that the investment account will go up...

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

In addition, Roth IRAs have special privileges not afforded to Traditional IRAs that make them very attractive.

The most notable, in my opinion, is the fact that you can withdraw the principle at any time without penalty. This significantly reduces the risk of stashing money away for 20 years -- if you absolutely do need it, you can take what you deposited back.

Shifty Pony posted:

Quick question:

My wife and I have a car loan for right at $5k and an interest rate of 1.79%. There is about a year and a half on the loan and payments are $298 per month with (as of last month) $7.80 of that being interest. The car is conservatively worth $16k and this is our only outstanding debt.

We have a large emergency fund ($33k in cash) and are cash flow positive $1-2k per month after automatic retirement investments. We will likely be looking at buying a house in the next five years or so.

Should we pay off the loan early or instead use that money to open a non-retirement vanguard index fund? The first saves us about $68 in interest but we lose potential investment returns and the credit score boost. But the interest is so drat low and there's no guarantee that the investment account will go up...

Put it on autopay and forget about it. Do not pay more than minimums. Use your pile of cash to do more fruitful things, like a 2% CD if you're ultra risk-averse.

I'm not an oracle, but it's extremely likely that the stock market will have increased by at least 1.8% in a year and a half. Expecting a diversified investment portfolio to underperform 1.8% over a 1.5 year time frame is, historically, quite unlikely.

DNK fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 10, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DNK posted:

2.5% CD if you're ultra risk-averse.
Where are these at? Best I see right now are 2% and maybe a 2.05%.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Where are these at? Best I see right now are 2% and maybe a 2.05%.

Numbers out of my rear end. Edited the section.

My point was that there are essentially riskless investments that will outperform paying off a 1.8% loan, and there are risky assets that are very likely to outperform 1.8% over a 1.5 year time frame.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Depends on how risk-averse you are when it comes to your house down payment. If the markets did tank and you ended up having to put off buying a house for a couple of years, would you be super duper sad about it? When I was five years out from a house, I kept my stuff in risk-free CDs, but it's really up to you.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Is there a place where I can ask stupid questions about the tax code and how to allocate my money if I'm going to new to the country, but will not be retiring there? Since I've been perusing this forum I've seen it come by that having a 401k or the canadian equivalent is not wise if you don't plan on retiring there, but I don't see why? Roth money especially should be tax free upon disbursement, and double taxation treaties ought to eliminate the possibility of having the disbursements taxed as income in whatever locale I choose to retire?
E: European, 29, moving to the US for what I imagine will end up being a decade or so.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 11, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is actually a tax thread where you might get some advice on this sort of thing, although honestly it is the sort of situation where a regular tax preparer may not have the answers for you. You may need to look around for a tax preparer who specifically works with foreign nationals, or possibly one who works with ex-pats. The tax thread is still probably a good place to start.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Ashcans posted:

There is actually a tax thread where you might get some advice on this sort of thing, although honestly it is the sort of situation where a regular tax preparer may not have the answers for you. You may need to look around for a tax preparer who specifically works with foreign nationals, or possibly one who works with ex-pats. The tax thread is still probably a good place to start.
I guess that puts me beyond the scope of this thread also then! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, learning a new tax code and adjusting my expectations on how things "should" work is daunting. It doesn't help that every financial institution in Europe treats me like I have leprosy all of a sudden now that there's a snowball's chance in hell of them needing to be FATCA compliant. :mad:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Alright, I'm doing it. Taking some contributions out of my Roth IRA to pay off some debt. While I realize that's not the best idea, I would really like to nuke this debt ASAP. It's going to be a little while before I can seriously start stashing away retirement money, but it's in the plan.

Is it as easy as transferring the money out of the IRA cash balance to my bank account, then sending in form 8606 when doing my taxes, or do I need to include form 5498?

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
I'm making 750/week, pay 170/week in rent and piss away the rest on random poo poo. How should I best write up and stick to a budget? I liked YNAB but I kept forgetting to use it like a dummy.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

bigfatdynamo posted:

I'm making 750/week, pay 170/week in rent and piss away the rest on random poo poo. How should I best write up and stick to a budget? I liked YNAB but I kept forgetting to use it like a dummy.
Cash envelope system, maybe?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bigfatdynamo posted:

I'd probably start by figuring out what recurring things other than rent cost, because I'm sure you're not only paying rent on a regular basis, right?

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'd probably start by figuring out what recurring things other than rent cost, because I'm sure you're not only paying rent on a regular basis, right?

Groceries are about $100 for two of us a week, bills are about $120/month, prescriptions run me about $30/month, fuel for my car is about $20/week. So weekly about $320 in reoccurring costs. Is it dumb to give my money over to someone trusted as forced savings?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

bigfatdynamo posted:

Groceries are about $100 for two of us a week, bills are about $120/month, prescriptions run me about $30/month, fuel for my car is about $20/week. So weekly about $320 in reoccurring costs. Is it dumb to give my money over to someone trusted as forced savings?

It's not the worst idea, but there are safer ways to have it managed than you friend Tony who keeps all his balances up here *points to temple*.

What about less frequent recurring costs like vehicle registration, vehicle insurance, vehicle maintenance, renter's insurance, association dues, pet expenses, birthday or holiday gifts, anything else like that?

You don't want to budget within that specific framework you laid out and then get surprised by any of these lurking long-term recurring costs.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's not the worst idea, but there are safer ways to have it managed than you friend Tony who keeps all his balances up here *points to temple*.

What about less frequent recurring costs like vehicle registration, vehicle insurance, vehicle maintenance, renter's insurance, association dues, pet expenses, birthday or holiday gifts, anything else like that?

You don't want to budget within that specific framework you laid out and then get surprised by any of these lurking long-term recurring costs.

I think I'll start giving a little more to my S.O. to look after, we split financial decisions 50/50 but I'm the breadwinner. Parents pay all vehicle costs, but I should start a christmas fund. We budgeted $300 for all 10 gifts we have to buy for both our families, but it'll be way easier to deal with the sooner I save up. What's a good way of not touching the money? P.S thank you for all this solid advice!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bigfatdynamo posted:

I think I'll start giving a little more to my S.O. to look after, we split financial decisions 50/50 but I'm the breadwinner. Parents pay all vehicle costs, but I should start a christmas fund. We budgeted $300 for all 10 gifts we have to buy for both our families, but it'll be way easier to deal with the sooner I save up. What's a good way of not touching the money? P.S thank you for all this solid advice!

Do you have kids, because if your S.O. is just plain not doing anything (or your kids are at school most of the day) then bam you just found your friend who can track/plan budget stuff for you and keep your money out of your spendy hands :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bigfatdynamo posted:

A decent savings account through Ally bank or Capitol 360 or wherever is a good place. Free savings accounts, 1% interest rate. What's started helping me budget for those one time yearly expenses is I'm starting to create different savings accounts. So I'll have one for my yearly garbage fees, one for travel, and a general emergency savings. Budget to throw like, $50 a month in each (whatever the exact math is) and it's much easier to do.

Note: do you have an emergency fund? Because if you're only backup is your Roth, this could be something to Fix first. Set aside enough for 3-6 months expends, and you won't have to dip into your retirement fund when the next emergency comes up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Chase Bank is offering me $500 in cash if I open a checking account with direct deposit and a savings account with at least $15,000.

Any reason not to do it? I can put the $15,000 back into my 1% savings after 90 days, and I can close all accounts after 6 months.

Unless I'm missing something inherent about opening new accounts, I've read all the fine print and there's no big Gotcha! clause in there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any reason not to do it?
Nah not really. It'll be taxed as income at the end of the year so it's not quite as enticing as credit card signup offers, but they're still nice. I did a $400 USAA offer last year and a $500 Chase one this year.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Chase Bank is offering me $500 in cash if I open a checking account with direct deposit and a savings account with at least $15,000.

Any reason not to do it? I can put the $15,000 back into my 1% savings after 90 days, and I can close all accounts after 6 months.

Unless I'm missing something inherent about opening new accounts, I've read all the fine print and there's no big Gotcha! clause in there.

I am doing this right now, albeit with a smaller bonus :argh:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If you don't have some agreement with a mortgage company to keep your other accounts at their bank, and don't mind annoying your HR department by switching your direct deposit every few months, getting multiple signup bonuses is a nice beer money maker.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

read all the fine print

But this is important.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't find it any more but there was a write up on how to get stuff on your credit report removed.

Basically I moved and took with me the cable modem I've had since before they started charging interest rent for the modem, about 7 years, I guess they wanted $150 for it and sent me a bill to my old place a couple months ago, probably went to collections.

Anyways, I have a $150 charge from CBE Group on my report. How do I get it off? Just pay their credit ransom and they'll remove it, or do I have to get something in writing saying they'll expunge it. I'm guessing that Time Warner won't even talk to me at this point as it's in collections.

Mostly I would ignore it, even with that my credit score is > 715, but it's impacting my ability to get a sweet no annual fee airline miles card, and I am planning on buying a vehicle this fall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hadlock posted:

I can't find it any more but there was a write up on how to get stuff on your credit report removed.

Basically I moved and took with me the cable modem I've had since before they started charging interest rent for the modem, about 7 years, I guess they wanted $150 for it and sent me a bill to my old place a couple months ago, probably went to collections.

Anyways, I have a $150 charge from CBE Group on my report. How do I get it off? Just pay their credit ransom and they'll remove it, or do I have to get something in writing saying they'll expunge it. I'm guessing that Time Warner won't even talk to me at this point as it's in collections.

Mostly I would ignore it, even with that my credit score is > 715, but it's impacting my ability to get a sweet no annual fee airline miles card, and I am planning on buying a vehicle this fall.

I moved out of an apartment in December 2010 and they sent my roommate a bill for $150 for painting the living room. He never paid it and we got sent to collections. I paid it immediately upon discovery (March 2011) but even to this day the collections agency refuses to remove it from my report. They cheerfully remind me that it will drop off after 7 years.

Give CBE Group a call (they'll make it hard to find their number) and try your luck, but sometimes you have no choice but to run down that 7 year clock...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

You mean this link? I have it bookmarked from a while ago:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7135833

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I remember it being here on the SA site somewhere.

I give zero shits about paying the $150, I just want that off my record, hence the terminology "ransom".

So I think I recall it going something like, "I don't acknowledge this debt, but if you send me a letter confirming you'll remove the tradeline of $150 from my record if I pay that amount, then I will consider paying the amount to resolve the issue without acknowledging fault on the debt"

Or something like that. God this is so stupid to deal with.

edit: I think the magic google keywords are "remove negative tradelines with a pay for delete letter"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 17, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is a debt collection thread here in BFC if that is what you are thinking of?

If you just pay it off, it will switch from being an outstanding account on your report to a settled one, which is an improvement. You can dispute it, but it sounds like its a legitimate charge and if they can validate it then it will stick. You could consider contacting Time Warner and explaining that you never got an initial notice - sometimes agencies haven't purchased the debt, they just act as collectors on commission and you can still settle with the original creditor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's the proper procedure to close a checking and savings account? I opened checking and savings accounts with USAA last year, and I've decided to proceed with closing my old Wells Fargo checking and savings now that I'm content that all of my direct-deposits, auto-pays, auto-transfers, etc. are set up correctly with USAA and I've been using USAA as my everyday bank for the last month or so.

I still have the minimum amounts sitting in Wells Fargo to avoid monthly fees ($2000 checking, $2500 savings) and would like to proceed with moving that to USAA. I'm afraid that if I just electronically transfer the rest and then attempt to close the accounts with balances of $0, Wells Fargo will try to hit me with fees. Do I go into a branch to close them and then they can issue me a check that I can then deposit at USAA?
For anyone curious (doubtful) this worked out nicely. I went into Wells Fargo, they issued a cashier's check for the remaining funds (waived the fee) and closed out the account. The banker said the process I followed was probably the best way to do it, since as I feared transferring everything out before closing the account might have triggered fees which he said they would have then tried to reverse.

It was a surprisingly positive experience overall and I can only imagine they're coached not to burn any bridges in the hopes that maybe you'll consider them again for other banking needs. He only pitched me once on leaving an account open with them in order to have access to better auto or home loans, but I don't need those any time soon and I'd shop around anyway.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Could someone help me understand the difference between the book value and market value reported on my mutual fund statement, why market value is less than book value and how I can calculate my actual return?

Thank you.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rhaegar posted:

Could someone help me understand the difference between the book value and market value reported on my mutual fund statement, why market value is less than book value and how I can calculate my actual return?

Thank you.
Book is your cost, market is the fair value today if you went to sell it in the market. Book > market = fund has lost money, your return will be negative. This happens. I have some international mutual funds that are still below my cost. I'm planning to hold them for 35-65 years though and add a lot to them, so it doesn't buy me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rhaegar posted:

Thank you.

Book value is the value of a company if it shut down today, sold everything, and paid off its debts. What you have left is the book value. Book value isn't what you "actually get", it's just another metric to determine valuation. The only time you get book value is if the company dissolves.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question about the legality of something:

My wife was in a (large national retail store), and during checkout, was asked about signing up for their "store card". It was presented to her as similar to how somewhere like Target or Nordstrom does the bank-linked debit card. She asked questions about it like is it a credit card, does it impact credit or is it an inquiry, can she get one with no present income (she hasn't started her new job yet), etc. The associate told her that it wasn't anything like that, it wouldn't trigger a credit inquiry, it doesn't matter if she has no income, etc. They even brought out the manager to confirm this.

As it turns out, she was lied to about all of these things.

She inspected her report through CreditKarma and found two hard inquiries on the report from a creditor, which she was told would not be there. Furthermore, it's my understanding that it's illegal to push people into credit cards, knowing the individual doesn't have an income.

Are there any laws that govern something like this? She gave them her social and signed the little screen, but there was never any list of terms or whatever there, just a "sign here" sort of thing.

I can't seem to find the consumer protection or credit card statutes that govern such a thing, but I know they have consumer protection laws about the ways credit cards can be offered, and I think "lying about what someone is signing up for and not disclosing what it is" is probably on there.

Notions of "not signing things you're not familiar with" aside, any ideas on what to do here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Question about the legality of something:

My wife was in a (large national retail store), and during checkout, was asked about signing up for their "store card". It was presented to her as similar to how somewhere like Target or Nordstrom does the bank-linked debit card. She asked questions about it like is it a credit card, does it impact credit or is it an inquiry, can she get one with no present income (she hasn't started her new job yet), etc. The associate told her that it wasn't anything like that, it wouldn't trigger a credit inquiry, it doesn't matter if she has no income, etc. They even brought out the manager to confirm this.

As it turns out, she was lied to about all of these things.

She inspected her report through CreditKarma and found two hard inquiries on the report from a creditor, which she was told would not be there. Furthermore, it's my understanding that it's illegal to push people into credit cards, knowing the individual doesn't have an income.

Are there any laws that govern something like this? She gave them her social and signed the little screen, but there was never any list of terms or whatever there, just a "sign here" sort of thing.

I can't seem to find the consumer protection or credit card statutes that govern such a thing, but I know they have consumer protection laws about the ways credit cards can be offered, and I think "lying about what someone is signing up for and not disclosing what it is" is probably on there.

Notions of "not signing things you're not familiar with" aside, any ideas on what to do here?

Yeah it sucks, lovely and probably not totally legal, but good luck with that. End of the day is they have her signing it, so it's her word against their word. And if they're a company being scummy like you described, you would have to go higher up the food chain to find someone who would do anything about it.

Personally, what I do is leave a review on google maps, Yelp, etc. that's something that will actually hurt, and bigger companies sometimes have someone checking the reviews so you sometimes could get a call.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok so does checking credit karma frequently effect my score negatively in anyway? Seeing some conflicting info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

No. Nothing to do with it whatsoever, except for providing you with information.