Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've never had to hook any of my android phones to the computer to update, since the nexus s some years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android works better with Macs than windows so I'm guessing you were being an idiot

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Who is selling you a Note 7 for $360? That doesn't seem to be a deal on any of the major carriers.

Sprint, with a legacy unlimited plan. $35/month installment payments and a $20/month loyalty credit. With a corporate discount i have 4 lines with unlimited everything, two leased iphone 6s's, my note 7 in installments, and an s7 free and clear for something lile $180/month.

Of course it's Sprint, but it's not terrible terrible in San Diego. Just terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Sprint, with a legacy unlimited plan. $35/month installment payments and a $20/month loyalty credit. With a corporate discount i have 4 lines with unlimited everything, two leased iphone 6s's, my note 7 in installments, and an s7 free and clear for something lile $180/month.

Of course it's Sprint, but it's not terrible terrible in San Diego. Just terrible.

*iPhones 6s

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Hand Knit posted:

I'm gonna ask a question that might be stupid and embarrassing.

I am looking at buying a new phone. My current computer is a Mac. Last time I had an Android phone, I couldn't update it on my computer. When a software update came out, I had to borrow someone's PC computer to update my phone. Is it still the case that an Android phone won't cooperate with a Mac computer? (Was it the case back then that it actually could and I was just being an idiot?)
Why were you connecting to a computer to update at all? OTAs are fine.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Endless Mike posted:

Android works better with Macs than windows so I'm guessing you were being an idiot

I guess this is reassuring.

Thank you all.

e:

ilkhan posted:

It was an Xperia something or other and I had to update the OS, I think. Or at least that's how I remember it. It was 2012.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 21, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ilkhan posted:

Even when I had a rooted phone and had to install updates manually, I just downloaded them through Dropbox and updated it through the phone without connecting to the PC.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I dropped my m8 in the Ocean a few days ago and ordered a 2nd generation moto E from motorola.

How is motorola (lenovo) with delivery? I didn't expect this thing to have an estimated shipping time of 2 weeks (with no expedited shipping option I might add).

Am I ever going to get this phone? I only need it for about a month until I finally get a lovely job and can get a new phone and switch carriers.

I should have just ordered a used one off of ebay :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hand Knit posted:

I am looking at buying a new phone. My current computer is a Mac. Last time I had an Android phone, I couldn't update it on my computer. When a software update came out, I had to borrow someone's PC computer to update my phone. Is it still the case that an Android phone won't cooperate with a Mac computer? (Was it the case back then that it actually could and I was just being an idiot?)

You'll be fine.

I haven't hooked an Android phone up to any computer in years.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm looking for a Nexus5x case that's loose enough that I can fit a single card in the back - it doesn't need to be easily accessible, it just needs to be held inside. I'm guessing any soft TPU case will work, but I thought I'd check before I ordered one.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Anyone want a Nexus 5 or Droid maxx case on the free?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

I'm looking for a Nexus5x case that's loose enough that I can fit a single card in the back - it doesn't need to be easily accessible, it just needs to be held inside. I'm guessing any soft TPU case will work, but I thought I'd check before I ordered one.

Note that if your plan is using that card's NFC capabilities on a receiver (subway station, doors, etc) it might not work because of the NFC chip in the phone.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Hand Knit posted:

Edit: missed a whole new page of posts. Here's my response anyway:

Was it a Samsung or some other brand that only has device flashing software available on Windows? That could explain it. Updates are OTA and you won't need to flash your phone this way unless something goes really wrong, or you plan on using a custom ROM (I'm guessing not).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edit: sorry, missed page.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does this page existing mean Android 7.0 is out? https://www.android.com/versions/nougat-7-0/ Or has it been there before

e: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/android-7-0-nougat-rolling-nexus-devices-starting-today/

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
[e] ^ :argh:

Nougat's been 'released':
https://www.android.com/versions/nougat-7-0/

quote:

Introducing
The New LG V20
The first new smartphone that comes with Android Nougat, right out of the box. Coming soon.

No system images yet, though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

spincube posted:

[e] ^ :argh:

Nougat's been 'released':
https://www.android.com/versions/nougat-7-0/

No system images yet, though.

quote:

On select new devices, software updates download in the background, so you won't have to wait while your device syncs with the latest security tools.

What phones are doing this? My 6p still has a pending August security update because it's difficult to find a time where I'm not planning on using it for 1+ hours and it has enough battery to run an update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

Seamless updates: New Android devices with Nougat can install software updates in the background which means you won't have to wait while your device installs the update and optimizes all your apps for the new version. And for current Nexus users, software updates now install much faster, so you won't have to wait for minutes while your device reboots.

I think I'm most excited for this.

uPen posted:

What phones are doing this? My 6p still has a pending August security update because it's difficult to find a time where I'm not planning on using it for 1+ hours and it has enough battery to run an update.

....how about when you plug it in and sleep? Or when you go for lunch. Or dinner. Jesus christ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The seamless updates will only be on new phones since they need partition charges. However, all phones will be moving to JIT compilation of apps so there won't be the long list of upgrading individual apps after after the update reboot.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I'm most excited for this.

....how about when you plug it in and sleep? Or when you go for lunch. Or dinner. Jesus christ.

Also remembering that I should do an update. I use it for an alarm so installing an update and having it not reboot properly isn't an acceptable option.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

uPen posted:

My 6p still has a pending August security update because it's difficult to find a time where I'm not planning on using it for 1+ hours and it has enough battery to run an update.

lol what the hell

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Now that Android 7 is officially released, I can finally get my Droid Turbo updated to 6. :hellyeah:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yes I'm the weirdo not the operating system that takes over an hour to install a 15 MB update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uPen posted:

Yes I'm the weirdo not the operating system that takes over an hour to install a 15 MB update.

Well yeah it kinda sucks, but just plug the phone in, start the update, and go to bed?! I don't understand what your issue is. Do you not sleep?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

uPen posted:

Those updates take like 10-15 minutes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

uPen posted:

It doesn't have to be an "or".

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is there any advantage to switching over to file base encryption on my 6p?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well yeah it kinda sucks, but just plug the phone in, start the update, and go to bed?! I don't understand what your issue is. Do you not sleep?

I've had this phone kick out of an update to the unhappy android dude during an update and the phone had to be manually rebooted. My alarm not going off to wake me up at 4am because an update crashed isn't acceptable. Normally I install the update on my day off but I've been forgetting because gently caress looking at my phone when I don't have to work.

Alternatively I update my iPhone as soon as that update drops, usually over lunch because it takes all of 20 minutes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

uPen posted:

I've had this phone kick out of an update to the unhappy android dude during an update and the phone had to be manually rebooted. My alarm not going off to wake me up at 4am because an update crashed isn't acceptable. Normally I install the update on my day off but I've been forgetting because gently caress looking at my phone when I don't have to work.

Alternatively I update my iPhone as soon as that update drops, usually over lunch because it takes all of 20 minutes.

but the update itself only takes a minute. It's all the app optimization poo poo that takes forever but that's not going to fail and screw you out of your alarm.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
or you could be a normal person and just run the update and do without playing Anime Builder 2.0 for an hour

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People complain about some weird rear end things in this thread...

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Horn posted:

Is there any advantage to switching over to file base encryption on my 6p?

It looks like it's a necessary condition for Direct Boot; I'm not sure if that's sufficient reason to bother but I'll probably do it anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lblitzer posted:

Those updates take like 10-15 minutes.

A bit under 10 minutes going from the last beta to the 7.0 release for me.

It doesn't do the optimising apps step any more (or at least doesn't display the message) but the first boot does take a while (and as always you need to enter your PIN so I can see how it could cause a missed alarm)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

but the update itself only takes a minute. It's all the app optimization poo poo that takes forever but that's not going to fail and screw you out of your alarm.
I have had it fail before because it makes the screen max brightness and that + charging + case was making my phone freak out when it was optimizing 226 apps.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

A bit under 10 minutes going from the last beta to the 7.0 release for me.

It doesn't do the optimising apps step any more (or at least doesn't display the message) but the first boot does take a while (and as always you need to enter your PIN so I can see how it could cause a missed alarm)

Yeah, just installed the new OTA (coming from the latest beta) and it took 7min. If you can't survive without your phone for 7min, I don't know what to tell you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My Moto X Pure Edition poo poo the bed so I bought a used Galaxy Note 4 and it upgraded from KitKat to Lollipop to Marshmallow in about 25 minutes. And that's an older phone.

If your phone takes an hour to install an update get it warrantied or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My sister got a new S7 and was wondering if it's possible to go directly to the pattern unlock. Right now she needs to swipe up before being able to unlock. I guess her S5 went straight to the pattern input.

I'm guessing no as that's how Marshmallow works.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Phew, the full N still has the cat catcher

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Uthor posted:

My sister got a new S7 and was wondering if it's possible to go directly to the pattern unlock. Right now she needs to swipe up before being able to unlock. I guess her S5 went straight to the pattern input.

I'm guessing no as that's how Marshmallow works.

I think that's just the way it is now. If she really wants to skip the swipe step, she could use the fingerprint reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Skarsnik posted:

Phew, the full N still has the cat catcher

Worst game.