Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I too was surprised. I wanted you to have to deconstruct your ship (at both a monetary and time cost), then have to make a contract for a player to ship the ship parts to the station you want, then you'd have to wait for the ship to get there and pay a fee to put it back together while you wait for that to be done. Oh and if the person transporting your ship died on route then you lose the ship and they get hit with a massive insurance cost.

Holy lol how did I miss this terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's basically how it works in EVE Online. :v:

No-one forces you to take your ship apart, of course. Assembled ships just take a lot of space, making it harder to find people willing to transport your ship.

But nowadays EVE Online has several ships large enough so you (very slowly) can transport your own ships, always at the risk of getting ambushed and losing everyhing. Fun!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Eve has the 'advantage' that anyone who is still bothered to play it is so absurdly rich that they have their own carrier fleet across their ten characters (£9 a month, each) to move their ships anywhere they want

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:thejoke:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I though that dude was joking.

But personally i think that the way FSDs work is too gamey. Time should jump dozens if not hundreds or thousands of years every time someone makes a jump, so that after they do it the servers are dead and the game crashes and your computer is broken and you instantly turn into a pile of bone dust

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rah! posted:

But personally i think that the way FSDs work is too gamey. Time should jump dozens if not hundreds or thousands of years every time someone makes a jump, so that after they do it the servers are dead and the game crashes and your computer is broken and you instantly turn into a pile of bone dust

lmao same, here let me try this:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I too was surprised. I wanted you to have to deconstruct your ship (at both a monetary and time cost), then have to make a contract for a player to ship the ship parts to the station you want, then you'd have to wait for the ship to get there and pay a fee to put it back together while you wait for that to be done. Oh and if the person transporting your ship died on route then you lose the ship and they get hit with a massive insurance cost.

source your quotes

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rah! posted:

Ridiculous. Everyone knows time doesn't progress for a ship in witchspace.

Upon emerging the player should instead be left to contemplate how time's inexorable march has left them adrift and utterly alone in an uncaring universe, as the civilisation they left behind no longer exists and everyone they know and love is long dead.

Actually, doesn't sound too different to the game now tbh.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Helter Skelter posted:

No, I'm pretty sure we all agree that the rep grind for the big ships is kind of terrible. You just decided to pick a weird hill to die on.

Personally, I was a little surprised that ship transfer is instantaneous, but while I'm fine with it, I also would not be shocked to see that changed by the time the beta rolls around.
Yeah most of the posts about the rep grind in here are asking how to or posting about trying to bypass most of the grind because god drat. So glad I bribed my way to a Corvette when I had the chance.

Also I legit thought that dude was trolling when he first made that post because it was so dumb

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It sounded like brown sea satire to me.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I am hard at work preparing a comprehensive guide for engineers, and it DOES in fact include a section on how to get the elusive Modified Embedded Firmwares. The Tadpoles Uplifting Engineering Primer will be available soon.

Looking forward to this though! I've managed to level up a few of them and have a rank 4 FSD range on my asp but without knowing where to get the really obscure poo poo rank 5 mods are going to be loving awful to get.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It sounded like brown sea satire to me.

Looking forward to this though! I've managed to level up a few of them and have a rank 4 FSD range on my asp but without knowing where to get the really obscure poo poo rank 5 mods are going to be loving awful to get.

Inara has a database of all of the components/materials and where to find them!

For Arsenic, check the system map for planets with arsenic. You will want a bunch for FSD-boosting anyways! The other two you can get from killing transport ships. Type-6/7/9s will do fine for that. Just fly around interdicting them in an anarchy system for no bounty! :science:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Thought I'd take a look at this thread after being uber casual about Elite for ages. What is this Brown Sea you speak of?

I too haven't touched Engineers because I dunno how to find one anywhere close to me that would want to speak to me. And I have been too lazy to read up on it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wow you actually thought I was being serious :allears:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In my defense I was tired after working all night and biking home.
And I'm an idiot too so there you go.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wow you actually thought I was being serious :allears:
I mean to be fair the last person who posted something like that turned out to be actually serious so can you blame him

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if only Eve never existed so its players weren't around to infest every single game remotely related to space

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

if only Eve never existed so its players weren't around to infest every single game remotely related to space

The way Eve players burn out and move to other games then complain they aren't enough like Eve is an excellent example of Double Plus Good thinking.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

gently caress, fit my Asp for max cargo and flew out to Robigo. Can't take any missions because I need to be cordial and there's no way to raise rep because I'm not cordial. Sothis and Ceos got UA bombed too so you can't do anything there till it updates that they're fixed. gently caress.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

The way Eve players burn out and move to other games then complain they aren't enough like Eve is an excellent example of Double Plus Good thinking.

I was thinking battered spouse.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Insert name here posted:

I mean to be fair the last person who posted something like that turned out to be actually serious so can you blame him

Don't look at me, man, I can't help that many people are saying instantaneous ship repair is an immersion-killer

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

gently caress, fit my Asp for max cargo and flew out to Robigo. Can't take any missions because I need to be cordial and there's no way to raise rep because I'm not cordial. Sothis and Ceos got UA bombed too so you can't do anything there till it updates that they're fixed. gently caress.
Filter your map to remove uninhabited systems, there's more Robigos out there.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
By the way, since we can move ships around, can we do credit transfers yet? Or is that too much of an affront to serious gamers?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

FronzelNeekburm posted:

By the way, since we can move ships around, can we do credit transfers yet? Or is that too much of an affront to serious gamers?

Wash your mouth out with engine coolant, you affront to purity!

Honestly I don't get why stuff like that isn't a thing. Luckily I rarely interact with real people in ED despite always playing on open so it hasn't been an issue. But I would like to have a storage locker.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I never knew I even wanted instant ship transfer until the brown sea started bitching about it. Now I want it more than anything. The added bonus of so many literal slaps in the face is wonderful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Can you not sell exploration data any more? That's how I got my faction raised. If not: get rep with Sirius Corporation back near Sol/Sirius (you need it for Marco Qwent anyways): they have a faction at Sothis.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can you not sell exploration data any more? That's how I got my faction raised. If not: get rep with Sirius Corporation back near Sol/Sirius (you need it for Marco Qwent anyways): they have a faction at Sothis.

Sothis mining is unaffected so I got a cargo full of legal goods. Might have to go work on sirius rep then.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Seeing all the posts about Sothis being UA bombed, is there any reason people don't do the Aditi - Synuefe RT-R c20-7 Diamond Vision run?

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Trustworthy posted:

Don't look at me, man, I can't help that many people are saying instantaneous ship repair is an immersion-killer

Look, I agree that "oh hey, my entire fleet can teleport" is absolutely horrible from a suspension of disbelief standpoint, for people who care about such things in video games. A lot apparently don't but neither of these things mean anything much; they are facts to be recognized.

It is quite annoying from a gameplay standpoint, though, to find, oh, you want to do some thing today but can't because you didn't think of that earlier and prepared for this thing you just now decided to do.

So consider this: The teleport-my-ship button, as a gameplay device, is a time machine. It makes your fictional character have sent the ship on its way in the fictional past, because, other than the real-world player, they were planning ahead. For consistency, they could calculate the time of departure and deny the teleport if you've used the ship since then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine the loading screen had a spongebob timecard on it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can even just trade. Both selling and buying stuff from a station raises rep with the station owner. (Selling only if you make a profit, losing money makes your rep go down.)

There are a lot of factions I'm only on friendly terms with thanks to trading-CGs

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

tooterfish posted:

Ridiculous. Everyone knows time doesn't progress for a ship in witchspace.

Upon emerging the player should instead be left to contemplate how time's inexorable march has left them adrift and utterly alone in an uncaring universe, as the civilisation they left behind no longer exists and everyone they know and love is long dead.

Actually, doesn't sound too different to the game now tbh.

Imagine this in a text box, plus a 2 minute, wide-screen shot of the horizon telling you you achieved an :effort: milestone in the game, and you basically have the entirety of No Man's Sky, minus all the video game content. :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to me what gets me immersed in a game is it being fun to play

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dabir posted:

Imagine the loading screen had a spongebob timecard on it.

Could there be an arbitrary 90-second post-loading cooldown timer before it let me play the game? If so, I'm down

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

crayon85 posted:

Seeing all the posts about Sothis being UA bombed, is there any reason people don't do the Aditi - Synuefe RT-R c20-7 Diamond Vision run?

Can you elaborate? I checked on the galaxy map and they're directly next to each other, unless you buy from both then just sell in the bubble?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Could there be an arbitrary 90-second post-loading cooldown timer before it let me play the game? If so, I'm down

Don't they take that long already?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

frank.club posted:

to me what gets me immersed in a game is it being fun to play

This is it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I liked it how in Sonic, when you jumped on the spikes and died, you had to chase down a pregnant hedgehog, hit it with a can of spraypaint, wait for it to give birth, steal one of its young, and then force it to act out a 1980's training montage before you could go on with the game.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I agree the brownsea is bad at expressing opinions (the people who say they're quitting now that "magic is canon" :allears:) but I dunno, I think they're right

QoL should always take precedent over gameplay unless it's outright detracting from the premise of the gameplay, and in the case I think it is. I mean, the game is about scale, right? It's going to be a pretty big disconnect when you spend hours or days flinging yourself across the galaxy only to then instantly teleport all your poo poo without explanation

There's like a dozen different ways they can find some sort of compromise, and I hope they will find something a bit more elegant than what they showed off

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DreadLlama posted:

I liked it how in Sonic, when you jumped on the spikes and died, you had to chase down a pregnant hedgehog, hit it with a can of spraypaint, wait for it to give birth, steal one of its young, and then force it to act out a 1980's training montage before you could go on with the game.

Good point except Elite's a science fiction space simulator and not a cartoon platformer for literal children

edit: seriouspost: Didn't Sothis already get UA bombed a while back? I was under the impression that stations were impervious to UAs after their first incident. Has this been disproven? Or am I misremembering and this is really Sothis's first round of UA hijinks?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

SirPenguin posted:

I agree the brownsea is bad at expressing opinions (the people who say they're quitting now that "magic is canon" :allears:) but I dunno, I think they're right

QoL should always take precedent over gameplay unless it's outright detracting from the premise of the gameplay, and in the case I think it is. I mean, the game is about scale, right? It's going to be a pretty big disconnect when you spend hours or days flinging yourself across the galaxy only to then instantly teleport all your poo poo without explanation

There's like a dozen different ways they can find some sort of compromise, and I hope they will find something a bit more elegant than what they showed off

:allears: (it's a video game, having a timer to migrate your poo poo is pointless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SirPenguin posted:

Honest question:

Why does instantly teleportating poo poo without explanation OK when you die?

• Locked thread