Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

texasmed posted:

[*]Build a farm area with manually planted food or alternatively dont bother with livestock animals at all[/list]

So for grazers like Muffalo and Alpacas, I just set a giant loving animal area and let them wander around; if I haven't hunted the entire map out I'll usually maintain a more-protected area for babies. Those guys will eat everything that grows out there, including entire loving trees, but I picked a bigger map specifically for grazing area.

The babies might wind up being locked in a barn with a food supply until I notice that they've grown up, but otherwise produced food of any kind is reserved for pawns and hauler/pet animals. Incidentally, this has got to be the only way to actually support Thrumbos, holy poo poo do those space unicorn bastards eat.

The Shortest Path posted:

elephants, rhinos, thrumbos, and maybe grizzly bears are all fine against the odd tribe that sends 20+ melee dudes at you at once, otherwise animals seem way more effort than they're worth unless you're in desperate need of haulers and even then those take a year to train if not more depending on luck.

My Husky deathball takes care of almost all of the hauling on my map, though there are so many that I've had to make them an animal area which is the entire map minus a few small patches where I have poo poo that I don't want them eating.

I know for sure I would have like 2/3ds of my crops left out to rot (or a whole lot less other poo poo getting done inside) every harvest without them. And I've sold off dozens of puppies to the local tribes, I'm sure they're all wearing nothing but husky leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

Space ship (science victory)

Declare yourself an independent colony/state - must survive a giant final assault by the galactic power that controls the star system (domination victory)

Max the relations with all non-pirate factions in the game. Need factions to be fleshed out more first (diplomatic victory)

Build a grand 10x10 statue depicting somebody vomiting (cultural victory)
Mix these ones with the Hopstialty mod stuff.
Impress the friendly-able locals when they stay over enough to get called the Capital of your planet. Then when you have a comms console you start getting off-world visitors. Impress them enough and they'll declare you an actual Town/City/Whatever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Croccers posted:

Mix these ones with the Hopstialty mod stuff.
Impress the friendly-able locals when they stay over enough to get called the Capital of your planet. Then when you have a comms console you start getting off-world visitors. Impress them enough and they'll declare you an actual Town/City/Whatever.

"gently caress you, I'm not building a space ship to get taken to a glitterworld. I'm building the glitterworld right here!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Animals are mechanically not really worth it at all because of the aforementioned food/mood issues they can cause and exacerbate, but they're fun/cool so I usually end up with a pile of animals anyway. It's absolutely mandatory to install one of the mods that adds pet surgery though, since otherwise training animals long term is almost completely worthless because whoops I spent a year training that husky how to haul and rescue and now he's missing two legs because he got shot.

Plus you end up with Blade Wolf, the timber wolf with three bionic legs and a bionic eye.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what mods work w a15

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone tried hibernating during winter or fallout? I mean putting all colonists into cryocaskets until it's over.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

Has anyone tried hibernating during winter or fallout? I mean putting all colonists into cryocaskets until it's over.

This requires having researched cryocaskets, and if you get raided in the interim you're kinda hosed unless you have fully automated defenses.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

waitwhatno posted:

That sounds incredibly boring. Even at 3x speed it would take like an hour in real time for it to pass.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you make impressive bedrooms? This jerk has a giant room with a nice double bed and 2 pieces of furniture and is still unhappy. The last time I got a greedy pawn I put half a dozen statues in their bedroom and they still weren't happy.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
What's the name of the mod that reorganizes the resources on the left side of your screen into drop down lists?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LLSix posted:

How do you make impressive bedrooms? This jerk has a giant room with a nice double bed and 2 pieces of furniture and is still unhappy. The last time I got a greedy pawn I put half a dozen statues in their bedroom and they still weren't happy.

Put very valuable things in them.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Zak2k12 posted:

What's the name of the mod that reorganizes the resources on the left side of your screen into drop down lists?
That's in the base game, actually. Click on the little scroll icon in the bottom-right of the screen. It's just under the speed controls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

High quality furniture. mostly. Space helps but you need to give him some masterwork chairs and tables and stuff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Get your best constructor to make bedroom furniture exclusively, quality matters. Just deconstruct stuff that is shoddy or awful. I also put tables and chairs in rooms to, if they are good quality they also give a boost and can make your pawns a bit more efficient if they can eat breakfast in their room.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does anyone happen to have a list of mods that are on a level with what the vanilla game provides, without going completely overpowered, or just wildly over the top in terms of available objects? (I can understand say 10 or so extra guns, but some of the gun packs of steam add a stupid array of personal weaponry, no doubt 90% of which I'll never use)

Last time I played Rimworld (Alpha 7 or 8 IIRC) I basically chucked everything into it including the kitchen sink, and it was all just a bit over the top, once I got past the first few raids nothing could touch me.

Is there any mods that provides extra varieties of enemies and/or other visitors?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

How do orbital trade beacons work? I've built them a few games now and haven't seen a single trade ship come by.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
You need a comms relay set up too, anything within range of a beacon can then be sold. They'll send stuff back via orbital drops. Keep an eye on where they go because it can be a bit random.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Squeegy posted:

"gently caress you, I'm not building a space ship to get taken to a glitterworld. I'm building the glitterworld right here!"
Pretty much.
Your poo poo needs to be sorted enough to deal with like I dunno, a dozen visitors? And fending off attacks too to keep them safe.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone happen to have a list of mods that are on a level with what the vanilla game provides, without going completely overpowered, or just wildly over the top in terms of available objects? (I can understand say 10 or so extra guns, but some of the gun packs of steam add a stupid array of personal weaponry, no doubt 90% of which I'll never use)

Last time I played Rimworld (Alpha 7 or 8 IIRC) I basically chucked everything into it including the kitchen sink, and it was all just a bit over the top, once I got past the first few raids nothing could touch me.

Is there any mods that provides extra varieties of enemies and/or other visitors?

Hospitality overhauls the visitation system, you should get it. Glitter Tech, Medieval Times, and Syndicate seem to be popular enemy mods.

Exodee posted:

That's in the base game, actually. Click on the little scroll icon in the bottom-right of the screen. It's just under the speed controls.

Can't believe this isn't enabled by default.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Exodee posted:

Thanks!

Squeegy posted:

Can't believe this isn't enabled by default.

It definitely should be.

I just finished my first game of Rimworld. It only took 26 hours to blast 10 people into space! :toot:
I'm gonna start a new run and try out different stuff. Game is awesome.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Zak2k12 posted:

Thanks!

It definitely should be.

I just finished my first game of Rimworld. It only took 26 hours to blast 10 people into space! :toot:
I'm gonna start a new run and try out different stuff. Game is awesome.

If you did Cassandra Classic, you should try out Randy Random.

"Low food. A blight has wiped out all your crops!"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just seen a trade ship selling a grand uranium sculpture of two hedgehogs playing craps surrounded by hundreds of tiny newts. Yours for 150,000 silver.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Just seen a trade ship selling a grand uranium sculpture of two hedgehogs playing craps surrounded by hundreds of tiny newts. Yours for 150,000 silver.

Sonic fanart

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like in spite of things they try to do to balance it (bugs, ugly space), building underground complexes is still OP. Yeah it takes time to dig out the space, but on the flip side in the short term you can just use the rock for walls, and you often have plenty of room to expand.

Contrast this with having to build a large building/several outbuildings for your village and also defend it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

I feel like in spite of things they try to do to balance it (bugs, ugly space), building underground complexes is still OP. Yeah it takes time to dig out the space, but on the flip side in the short term you can just use the rock for walls, and you often have plenty of room to expand.

Contrast this with having to build a large building/several outbuildings for your village and also defend it.

Just build a perimeter wall. Stonecutting is a pain (would be more viable if it didn't require research, how hard is it to chip stone?) but it's actually faster than mining.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Any good mods to reduce animal food consumption?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree it is strange you have to research it especially ether you don't need to research carving stone statues.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy hell, in the industrial mod a nuclear reactor takes like 300 uranium, 1000 refined steel and 1000 concrete! I better save up for that laser drill to build a mining pit.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

How do I extract milk from the camels that turned up and joined my settlement?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone with handle animal will do it whenever they hit 100%

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Holy hell, in the industrial mod a nuclear reactor takes like 300 uranium, 1000 refined steel and 1000 concrete! I better save up for that laser drill to build a mining pit.

If I remember correctly from when I used that mod back in like A10, it generates like 16000 power and you can place it anywhere you want, so it's worth it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kanos posted:

If I remember correctly from when I used that mod back in like A10, it generates like 16000 power and you can place it anywhere you want, so it's worth it.

Until it gets blown up

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azhais posted:

Until it gets blown up

Yeah it's definitely one of those "double wall this poo poo off with titanium because if raiders ever get to it you're gonna have some problems" things.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ugh. Some piece of pedophile scum made a MLP mod for Rimworld. Make that another game ruined for me by those loving pedophiles.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Apoplexy posted:

Ugh. Some piece of pedophile scum made a MLP mod for Rimworld. Make that another game ruined for me by those loving pedophiles.

Did they break into your steam account and download the mod in the workshop or something?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, it's a shame that you're forced to download and use every single mod that exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It will presumably fit in well with the murderincestcannibalorgantrafficslavery.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I have more respect for mods that let me hack apart prisoners in order to fuel my cannibal incest tribe's slave camp.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not an MLP fan by any means, but why make this thread the staging ground for your rant? Go post on /v/ or something.