Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why would that be the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

that dont locally pollute, move 4 times as many people, are more reliable, generally have much more grade separation, and are much harder for lovely local politicians to get rid of

as an engineer my favorite at-grade light rail lines have much more grade separation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cygni posted:

that dont locally pollute, move 4 times as many people, are more reliable, generally have much more grade separation, and are much harder for lovely local politicians to get rid of

for sure. but the question was "what should be on roads?" and light rail does not belong

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

why would that be the case?

the streetcar goes from union station to the anacostia along h st/benning road. the x2 bus goes out to minnesota ave on the east end and lafayette square on the west (a much longer, more useful distance), so it's going to be used by local (black) commuters a lot more. the street car is primarily intended to shuttle non-locals (white) to the slowly gentrifying atlas district to drink.

on the plus side the streetcar is free because dc never bothered to install pay terminals in the several years they were sitting in a trainyard waiting for the rails to be built nor in the multiple years they spent testing the cars without passengers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, so it's not actually the same route.

are they cutting the bus service now that the street car is in place?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here in toronto our subways are racist bullshit

specifically the one-stop subway they're "building"* to replace an aging SRT line. it connects a suburban mall to the subway, instead of having 7 stops through a transit desert and connecting to a larger 21 stop network planned. the neighbourhoods it will run under, rather than through are largely ethnic low income. instead of serving the ~70% of transit trips that begin and end in the region, it will serve those who commute into downtown and no one else

*not actually under construction in any sense and no route has been selected yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah, it's not exactly the same, i guess that is important.

and no, bus service is the same as far as i'm aware. they're owned and operated by different authorities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's still racistclassist maybe, with the attendant racial issues? it's just racist in the sense that it's clearly targeted to more affluent transit users who can afford to live in better neighbourhoods, meaning it's siphoning people out of the rest of the system, potentially depriving them of revenue needed to keep the other routes viable

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why would you say DOUBLE-U instead of whatever word that it's abbreviating in the first place

because it's pronounced dubya

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

If you think bombardier is bad, my local transit company had to directly pay their supplier's bills (colorado railcar)

http://www.oregonlive.com/special/index.ssf/2008/12/trimet.html

We paid 166 million dollars for leasing of 15 miles of track, and the daily ridership is less than 2000 people.

Basically, it was lovely and doesn't really help commuters at all, given where the trainline goes, and the limited service (daytime commuters only, weekdays)

The coolest thing about the "Westside Express Service" is this:

http://railfan.com/extraboard/rf_extra_mar2011.php

Two 1950's Budd RDC units as backup cars, because they couldn't find a supplier. Pretty cool. I haven't went and tried to ride one of these yet, as it's a bit out of the way.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TheShazbot posted:

We paid 166 million dollars for leasing of 15 miles of track, and the daily ridership is less than 2000 people.

sadly thats not that terrible in the national context. the projected ridership was only 2500 a day to begin with, which actually meets the federal numbers for grants and such.

reminder that adding 1 lane of highway in semiurban areas (without reconstructing any bridges or intersections) cost upwards of $8 million a mile, not counting any maintenance, and serves roughly the same number of cars. also highways, you know, fill up again and make traffic worse

basically the best way to invest in transportation of any kind is to have already done in 60 years ago

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

reminder that adding 1 lane of highway in semiurban areas (without reconstructing any bridges or intersections) cost upwards of $8 million a mile, not counting any maintenance, and serves roughly the same number of cars. also highways, you know, fill up again and make traffic worse

basically the best way to invest in transportation of any kind is to have already done in 60 years ago

p much tho i'd estimate at closer to 10 or 11 based on right of way acquisitions nowadays (more where even the nowhere land is expensive like california)

and interchanges (ramps) and bridges are hellishly expensive all by themselves which can easily dwarf the rest of the project's cost just for rehabbing or replacing one or two "minor" ones

roads are a big stupid waste of money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

agreed lets replace them w/ trains

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
what kind of train is the best train?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Beast of Bourbon posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the kind where a buncha chicks bang me in a row

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Beast of Bourbon posted:

https://youtu.be/8skXT5NQzCg

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

http://youtu.be/x_zC7QK64Ks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
~aaaactually~

35w is pronounced "thitty fahv dubya" in texas

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i am the most qualified person in all of yospos to talk about transit

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

i work for a transit company and this makes me the most qualified person in all of yospos to talk about transit

i've helped design light rail projects and also have enough autism to enjoy trains

checkmate

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im a idio t

checkmate

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i have to deal with our local paratransit agency on a weekly basis and sometimes i wonder how the contractors manage to keep their buses on the road :sigh:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I drive on 35 dubya

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've helped design light rail projects and also have enough autism to enjoy trains

checkmate

I ride a train every single day and they pay me to do so.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
if I need to go downtown i'll take the gold line, it works out pretty great for $1.75

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

*surreptitiously hides boner*

well i ride one to commute most days and my boss gives me extra money to do so tho it doesn't cover the entire monthly pass

*boner evaporates in shame*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

nice

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm in school for urban planning

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im an engineer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i read "trainspotting" once

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i once saw a bus in a poor neighbourhood

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I ride a bus to work for free

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i rode a bus today instead of taking the subway, because taking the bus meant a few minutes less walking

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I commute on America's Best Transit System 1989-90

Mostly on buses instead of light rail since moving though :rip:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

i rode a bus today instead of taking the subway, because taking the bus meant a few minutes less walking

not cool

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:effort:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmfao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

USA USA USA

• Locked thread